Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Theros does a pretty good job of competing with it

Theros is modern legal and not nearly as bad. There were at least some pretty cool ideas to come out of Theros even if they mostly screwed it up. BFZ is almost completely indefensible imo. The only worthwhile things to come out of it are Surge and Awaken, and they didn't even do a particularly good job with them.

Also Theros had a Thoughtseize reprint.

whydirt posted:

Masques block is pretty bad, if just for Prophecy alone.

Efb

Double edit: Ice Age and Alliances are both pretty terrible in terms of overall design. They're only remembered fondly because of cool marquee cards like Necropotence and Force.

:shrug: Maybe it's because I'm an old man who was around when they made these things but I like Masques, Ice Age, and Alliances. Ice Age is obviously mostly terrible cards but most old sets are. It's not really fair to compare a set that was made a year after the game came out to one that came out after over 20 years.

Alliances again has a lot of crappy cards but there are a lot of really cool ones. Look at Lake of the Dead and Kjeldoran Outpost, for example. And obviously Force, Bounty of the Hunt, Contagion, and Pyrokinesis. Free spells aren't a big deal now because we're used to Force being ubiquitous in eternal formats, but back then that was an insane thing to print.

Masques is less great but Rebels was still a pretty cool idea, even if it was broken. They also made a lot more free spells in Nemesis and did a pretty good job of balancing them (in retrospect - at the time they were pretty overpowered.) I still think it's pretty funny that the original groups of free spells are the most well-balanced of all of them.

Prophecy is pretty terrible but again at least had cool ideas. The Avatars and Winds are a pretty cool cycle, especially for casual players. Rhystic cards maybe not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

mandatory lesbian posted:

its def shouldn't be the 4th worst mechanic ever, i don't even see what's so objectionable to make it score that low

The casuals who make up the majority of the games players probably found it very boring

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

Prophecy is pretty terrible but again at least had cool ideas. The Avatars and Winds are a pretty cool cycle, especially for casual players. Rhystic cards maybe not so much.

The Avatars and Winds were both super cool, the Spellshaper legend cycle was decent, and I can't remember anything else about the set that was good.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
MiViLight isn't a block. It's 3 loosely connected sets released near each other. Rath Cycle was the First Block, but we didn't really get on the Block Plan until Urza's.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Elyv posted:

The Avatars and Winds were both super cool, the Spellshaper legend cycle was decent, and I can't remember anything else about the set that was good.

The only other notable cards are Rhystic Study, Rhystic Tutor, Spiketail Hatchling, and Spore Frog.

And maybe Squirrel Wrangler if you're stupid and insane.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

If you're looking at blocks that made an impact in eternal formats, Theros has to be at the bottom. What cards from Theros that aren't Thoughtsieze see eternal play at all? Courser and Stormbreath in fringe decks? Keranos in sideboards?

BFZ/OGW gave us Gideon, Ulamog, Kalitas, Thought-knot, Reality Smasher, Displacer, Drowner of Hope, Wasteland Strangler, Bushwhacker. The colorless mana thing alone made a pretty big impact.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 22, 2016

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The only other notable cards are Rhystic Study, Rhystic Tutor, Spiketail Hatchling, and Spore Frog.

And maybe Squirrel Wrangler if you're stupid and insane.

Spiketail hatchling is a neat card and you can do some fun things with spore frog but the others don't lead to fun gameplay

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Throw me some suggestions for a deck in something of an oddball format:

I need to construct a 75 card 60 card main + 15 card sideboard highlander deck, with exactly one card from each non-core set up to Kaladesh + 3 basic lands for that total of 75.

Braver tech was requested after the last event (where you had unsurprising three mono red to unsurprising three blue control), so I figured I'll put together Twin combo. So that takes out Champions (Kiki-Jiki), Lorwyn (Pestermite), Rise (Splinter Twin) and New Phyrexia (Deceiver Exarch). So suggestions for good draw, filter, card searching effects, plus things to use not to die before getting there are appreciated on the colours. Unsurprisingly Library starts the list off in Arabian Nights.

Oh yeah and we play with our Ironman League rules, which means "draw 2, keep 1" on each beer you finish, and Infernal Contract (lose half of your life, draw 4) on a double scotch / vodka / whateverhorriblespirityouhavearound. Should help finding the pieces!

Lunsku fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 22, 2016

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
I was just playing some Frontier for the last 2 hours. It's garbage which was to be expected. Banning fetches might make it more enjoyable, but I doubt it

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Would replacing Standard with Extended be that terrible?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

ThePeavstenator posted:

Would replacing Standard with Extended be that terrible?

In theory, no. In practice, do you really want four-color Rhino decks or Collective Company back so soon?

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

80s James Hetfield posted:

I was just playing some Frontier for the last 2 hours. It's garbage which was to be expected. Banning fetches might make it more enjoyable, but I doubt it

What magic formats do you enjoy?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Lottery of Babylon posted:

In theory, no. In practice, do you really want four-color Rhino decks or Collective Company back so soon?

No you just say "looks like BFZ will be around for an extra year".

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Yeah, it's basically just every annoying top tier standard deck vs. another annoying top tier standard deck that you couldn't wait to rotate smashing into each other.

Next week we're gonna try with the no fetches thing and see how it works out. It might be enjoyable but I'm sure the same 5-6 decks will reign

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Fish Of Doom posted:

If you're looking at blocks that made an impact in eternal formats, Theros has to be at the bottom. What cards from Theros that aren't Thoughtsieze see eternal play at all? Courser and Stormbreath in fringe decks? Keranos in sideboards?

BFZ/OGW gave us Gideon, Ulamog, Kalitas, Thought-knot, Reality Smasher, Displacer, Drowner of Hope, Wasteland Strangler, Bushwhacker. The colorless mana thing alone made a pretty big impact.

Brimaz, Mana Confluence, Swan Song, Eidolon of the Great Revel, Anger of the Gods, Destructive Revelry. Still not very much. Theros would have been cool as a standalone set, and then they added two mediocre, forgettable sets with no interesting ideas to it.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Lets Pickle posted:

Brimaz, Mana Confluence, Swan Song, Eidolon of the Great Revel, Anger of the Gods, Destructive Revelry. Still not very much. Theros would have been cool as a standalone set, and then they added two mediocre, forgettable sets with no interesting ideas to it.

I like constellation as a mechanic

Also I'd argue that "number of eternal playables" is not the most important metric to judge a set on

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Elyv posted:

I like constellation as a mechanic

Also I'd argue that "number of eternal playables" is not the most important metric to judge a set on

Theros was an good set, Journey into Nyx was good. Born of the Gods SUUUUUUUUUUUUCKED

As it was the block ended up being pretty good, but Born of the Gods is one of the least inspired sets ever.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
making GBS threads on the game is fun and all but honestly I am a bit worried about it. Treasure chests are a cash grab at the MTGO secondary market. The rotation flipflop and standard showdown make it clear standard is really struggling. We'll see at the next investor meeting I guess.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Madmarker posted:

As it was the block ended up being pretty good, but Born of the Gods is one of the least inspired sets ever.

Clever. And Ironic.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
I found heroic a big ole' mess of fun, because it let me play early creatures so there was always stuff going on, and then all my spells were two spells.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

whydirt posted:

Masques block is pretty bad, if just for Prophecy alone.

Efb

Double edit: Ice Age and Alliances are both pretty terrible in terms of overall design. They're only remembered fondly because of cool marquee cards like Necropotence and Force.

Picking on any pre-Mirage set is just shooting fish in a barrel. They were barely even actually designed, let alone developed; they were random collections of mostly-terrible cards with no rhyme or reason to them besides an overall flavour theme, rarities were all messed up, and Limited hadn't really been properly invented yet.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

making GBS threads on the game is fun and all but honestly I am a bit worried about it. Treasure chests are a cash grab at the MTGO secondary market. The rotation flipflop and standard showdown make it clear standard is really struggling. We'll see at the next investor meeting I guess.

You can't fix standard in its current state. You can only wait it out.

I hope aether revolt has a substantial amount of reprints in it to get excited about or its just going to be another 3 months of the same boring poo poo.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 22, 2016

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

80s James Hetfield posted:

Hearthstone added a standard and legacy (named Wild) this year, and all it did immediately was drop a year with of sets. Wild is basically standard with another handful of useful cards. Worse, due to the nature of the game's base design, many think it won't really get better, and will instead look like already existing decks, designed around cards people were completely bored of, slowly getting better.

I feel like frontier would be the same thing for at least a few more years, until the card pool builds enough that you're not just playing slightly better versions of old standard decks. And considering the "they stopped printing hate" article from a bit ago, maybe it takes even longer :v:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I really liked full-block Theros draft, but I may be the only one.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Lunsku posted:

Throw me some suggestions for a deck in something of an oddball format:

I need to construct a 75 card highlander deck, with exactly one card from each non-core set up to Kaladesh + 3 basic lands for that total of 75.

Braver tech was requested after the last event (where you had unsurprising three mono red to unsurprising three blue control), so I figured I'll put together Twin combo. So that takes out Champions (Kiki-Jiki), Lorwyn (Pestermite), Rise (Splinter Twin) and New Phyrexia (Deceiver Exarch). So suggestions for good draw, filter, card searching effects, plus things to use not to die before getting there are appreciated on the colours. Unsurprisingly Library starts the list off in Arabian Nights.

Oh yeah and we play with our Ironman League rules, which means "draw 2, keep 1" on each beer you finish, and Infernal Contract (lose half of your life, draw 4) on a double scotch / vodka / whateverhorriblespirityouhavearound. Should help finding the pieces!

How do reprints count? Cause you can easily slot in some more basics, for example, by using ones from other sets (for my Prophecy card, I have Mountain).
Restoration Angel is also a good one, you can cover AVR.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Serperoth posted:

How do reprints count? Cause you can easily slot in some more basics, for example, by using ones from other sets (for my Prophecy card, I have Mountain).
Restoration Angel is also a good one, you can cover AVR.

Yeah the idea is that you just have to find a slot for each card in a set where it was printed or reprinted. Some set slots will without doubt go to basics simply because there's not enough worthwhile nonbasics to play - the +3 basics is just to make up the total to a nice, highlander familiar 75 from the 72 non-core sets now with Kaladesh out.

Almost certainly splashing black if just to play Vampiric Tutor if the mana can at all can handle that - that with a beer chaser equals instant Demonic Tutor for cheap!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Entropic posted:

I really liked full-block Theros draft, but I may be the only one.

You're the only one. Theros draft was unfun to play and boring to watch. Oh look my heroic creature got big and you didn't have removal, game two. Oh you played your unbeatable bomb creature, game three.

Also Constellation should have been in the base set, along with all the good enchantment stuff from M15 or Origins whichever one had vastly more enchantment support than Theros block did.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Lunsku posted:

Yeah the idea is that you just have to find a slot for each card in a set where it was printed or reprinted. Some set slots will without doubt go to basics simply because there's not enough worthwhile nonbasics to play - the +3 basics is just to make up the total to a nice, highlander familiar 75 from the 72 non-core sets now with Kaladesh out.

Almost certainly splashing black if just to play Vampiric Tutor if the mana can at all can handle that - that with a beer chaser equals instant Demonic Tutor for cheap!

Is this highlander plus the set restrictions? Or can you run two different printings of dark ritual?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Elyv posted:

What else matters?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Lets Pickle posted:

Master of Waves, Elspeth in Jeskai SBs and in RW Control. Even though when I look at MTGGoldfish alot of the RW decks aren't running many Elspeth. Which is a shame because they are calling the deck "Sun and Moon" which is a cool name.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

You can't grow indefinitely, at some point they have to hit a wall and their performance sculpting the game only helps decide when that happens.

It's what comes when that happens I'm worried about. I don't like the direction they've taken the game since RtR and the worst case scenario for me would be doubling down on it.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Sigma-X posted:

Is this highlander plus the set restrictions? Or can you run two different printings of dark ritual?

Highlander with the restrictions.

Edit: "quick" run through U, R, colourless and lands has me about here with the shortlist:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bjiRtyEB9HnV4JGQuRvr2eKQqttF5MhcXduFlcJnROY/edit?usp=sharing

First feels are that trade offs will have to be made for mana (or a lot of beer has to be drunk, which is honestly how the mana is fixed a lot of the time anyway in our ironman league be it some weird constructed format, cube or winston draft). Probably will put together an ideal 60 against mono R or other aggro, an ideal list against blue control, and try to have the initial list somewhere in the middle. Though I'd assume the deck choices will be a bit more varied this time - there will be some hard swearing/teasing/knifing on those bringing a red pile to the fray.

Lunsku fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 23, 2016

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

What else matters?

Draft, standard, casual constructed, flavor, and I guess edh

Under your metric avr is one of the best sets in the past 10 years while innistrad and its 3 playable cards is mediocre at best

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Elyv posted:

Under your metric avr is one of the best sets in the past 10 years while innistrad and its 3 playable cards is mediocre at best

AVR actually was better than most sets in the last 5 yeah, that's no big secret.

And Innistrad had a larger pool than your estimation would suggest.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Elyv posted:

Modern loves innistrad. The amount of playables is pretty great.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Elyv posted:

Nonsense! By that metric Mercadian Masques is a better set than Innistrad, a reasonable proposition!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Sex should be judged by the quality of the band the cards not the ones that are currently playable

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Toshimo posted:

Sex should be judged by the quality of the band the cards not the ones that are currently playable

:quagmire:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Nonsense! By that metric Mercadian Masques is a better set than Innistrad, a reasonable proposition!

I went through and counted 11 solid eternal playables not counting the multicoloured land cycle, how many did Masques have?

E: two of those cards (Snapcaster and Lili) being massive, multiformat all-stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TheKingofSprings posted:

I went through and counted 11 solid eternal playables not counting the multicoloured land cycle, how many did Masques have?

E: two of those cards (Snapcaster and Lili) being massive, multiformat all-stars.

Eternal-playable specifically doesn't count Modern, which is not an Eternal format. :smug:

(Also counting Modern isn't fair to sets that aren't Modern-legal, but that's minor.)

• Locked thread