Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Fallen Hamprince posted:

I'll start getting worried when Don Cherry starts showing interest in a CPC leadership run.

Don Cherry is in his 80s now and when the cameras turn off he basically deflates and gets wheeled away like a broken puppet so don't worry too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
No puppet! No puppet! YOURE THE PUPPET

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

InfiniteZero posted:

Don Cherry is in his 80s now and when the cameras turn off he basically deflates and gets wheeled away like a broken puppet so don't worry too much.

His increasingly high collars are the only thing keeping his head upright.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Trudeau and the Liberals are just writing the script for whoever runs as the Conservative populist candidate in the next election. itshappening.gif

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Postess with the Mostest posted:

The difference is Trudeau is a better conservative, he's approving pipelines that will pay for a transition to renewables and everyone loves it cause he also walks around with gay people a few times every summer.

NDP lost their opportunity but I do like a rural friendly Charlie Angus, shame he'll be wasted 4 years into a 12 year Trudeau run.

somehow a very toxic culture became associated with being "country," especially in the prairies

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Landsknecht posted:

somehow a very toxic culture became associated with being "country," especially in the prairies

Trump reinforces the rural pejorative

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Landsknecht posted:

That culture is well alive outside of the 416/905 area code in Ontario, too.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

NDP lost their opportunity but I do like a rural friendly Charlie Angus, shame he'll be wasted 4 years into a 12 year Trudeau run.

I think the party pretty much understands that the next leader will be around for a decade+. They'll be given time to grow into the job.

(And time for the electorate to grow comfortable with a Sikh leader 🙃)

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

mojo1701a posted:

IMO the worst offenders are people who live in suburbs/bedroom communities; in Alberta you meet many people who were living precariously on 200k/year during the boom and they like big trucks, "their" hockey team, and dislike foreigners

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Landsknecht posted:

I'd hate to start that debate for the 1000th time but I don't think the rural contempt is what's going to beat him. Canadian politicians just seem to benefit from inertia so much. 10 years of Harper, 13 years of OLP, 15 years of BC Libs and 4 billion years of no real federal NDP power. I guess if we get some electoral reform it won't be such an all or nothing thing, I like Angus a lot better than Chong, Leitch or Ashton.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Landsknecht posted:

IMO the worst offenders are people who live in suburbs/bedroom communities; in Alberta you meet many people who were living precariously on 200k/year during the boom and they like big trucks, "their" hockey team, and dislike foreigners

I live in a heavy Conservative riding that's full of white-bread thinking of that kind.

I know CI would love the following story:

I ran into a homeless guy in downtown Hamilton last night asking for change. He then mentioned that he was a veteran and the reason why he's homeless is because they "cut the pensions so those people could come over and stay at the Sheraton for $120/night."

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

mojo1701a posted:

Or anyone east of 176th Street in Metro Vancouver

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Pinterest Mom posted:

I think the party pretty much understands that the next leader will be around for a decade+. They'll be given time to grow into the job.

(And time for the electorate to grow comfortable with a Sikh leader 🙃)

We already have Bains and Sajjan, with Bains has 12 years in the HoC at age 39. Are rurals scared of Sikhs and their kirpans still?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Risky Bisquick posted:

We already have Bains and Sajjan, with Bains has 12 years in the HoC at age 39. Are rurals scared of Sikhs and their kirpans still?

Alternate between scared and laughing at daring to wear turbans outside.

The kirpan may be only if it's mentioned specifically on TV.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Risky Bisquick posted:

Were they ever? My experience of that was distinctly suburban, growing up in Brampton when that pearl clutching kicked off.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
5 year open transparent jet competition. Sole source jets now. Repeat in 5 years.

quote:

Public Works Minister Judy Foote said the planned competition will ensure that the country gets the right fighter jet at the right price, but it could take as long as five years to prepare and run. That is despite multiple consultations with industry and an exhaustive, independent panel review conducted under the Conservatives.

The urgent, sole-source purchase of Super Hornets is intended to cover what Sajjan says is a growing "capability gap" where Canada is strained to meet all of its NATO and North American air defence commitments.

Public Services and Procurement Minister Judy Foote said: “As we promised, our government will be conducting an open and transparent competition to replace the long-serving CF-18 jets. We will also begin discussions with Boeing for the purchase of an interim fleet to deal with the capability gap. This is about getting our women and men in uniform the equipment they need to do their jobs and protect Canadians in the most effective way possible while maximizing economic benefits for the middle class and those working hard to join it.”

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

You know, if Trump pulls out of NATO maybe we won't need to buy the jets.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

infernal machines posted:

You know, if Trump pulls out of NATO maybe we won't need to buy the jets.

Should we be moving to a peacekeeping fleet of Dash-8s?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

This is about getting our women and men in uniform the equipment they need to do their jobs and protect Canadians in the most effective way possible while maximizing economic benefits for the middle class and those working hard to join it.

The gently caress? How's about not buying advanced fighter jets? How many billions would that leave for spending on the middle class?

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Count Roland posted:

This is about getting our women and men in uniform the equipment they need to do their jobs and protect Canadians in the most effective way possible while maximizing economic benefits for the middle class and those working hard to join it.

The gently caress? How's about not buying advanced fighter jets? How many billions would that leave for spending on the middle class?

Trump might be serious about making other NATO members to meet the 2% commitment, which means we'll need to spend more

Also the middle class is bullshit, more Canadians need to identify as working class; once the credit bubble bursts it won't be so comfortable here

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Risky Bisquick posted:

Should we be moving to a peacekeeping fleet of Dash-8s?

We could move to a peacekeeping fleet of sweet dick-all once we stop piggybacking on American military infrastructure. Because we ain't getting poo poo off this continent on our own.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Why buy planes when you can buy nukes

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Moms can finally strategically drop their kids off at hockey practice at mach 1.2.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Furnaceface posted:

Im not familiar with Charlie Angus outside of his terrible band. Is he basically just another Layton/Mulcair clone?

The NDP is going to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory once again arent they? :saddowns:

Charlie Angus does a lot of good advocacy work for First Nations people, so I'd say He's Good.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

His French needs serious work but he would be a safe pick for leader. Leftists like myself are somewhat wary of safe picks these days though.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Fried Watermelon posted:

Why buy planes when you can buy nukes

No takebacks, this is what we get when we gave them back

infernal machines posted:

We could move to a peacekeeping fleet of sweet dick-all once we stop piggybacking on American military infrastructure. Because we ain't getting poo poo off this continent on our own.

This has been the case since we lost our navy and airforce

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
So have we officially dropped out of the F-35 purchase now?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Risky Bisquick posted:

Bains gets elected in Brampton. An NDP leader needs to appeal in francophone Québec. :shrug:

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
I know I give the CBC a hard time but this is a good headline.

quote:

Ontario energy minister says he never asked for a bribe

A former MP who is now Ontario's energy minister was emotional as he denied allegations Tuesday that he asked for a bribe in exchange for running in a byelection for the provincial Liberals.

The Crown lawyer prosecuting two Ontario Liberals on Election Act bribery charges said Monday that Sudbury MPP Glenn Thibeault "sought certain benefits, offers or job or employment as part of his conditions to run as (an) MPP."

Thibeault said Tuesday he has no idea what that allegation is based on, because he never asked for "anything that would be seen as a bribe."

"If anyone's ever had to explain to a nine-year-old why you're not a bad man, it's not an easy conversation," Thibeault said. "But I will not be resigning."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/thibeault-bridbery-allegations-1.3862453

Based 9 year old spotted.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mojo1701a posted:

613 is mostly a holdout.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I don't understand why it would or should be illegal to promise a cabinet post to a prospective candidate to entice them into running.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think cabinet assignments should be filed 30 days before the election.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Pinterest Mom posted:

I don't understand why it would or should be illegal to promise a cabinet post to a prospective candidate to entice them into running.

I know I'm being an idealist but the law writers probably were too. The law might see political parties appoint the most qualified people to appropriate cabinet positions and maybe disincent a struggling incumbent party from luring strong opposing candidates with promises of extra power, money and connections that come with top cabinet spots?

Either way, the law's pretty clear. Under provincial law, “no person shall, directly or indirectly, give, procure or promise or agree to procure an office or employment to induce a person to become a candidate, refrain from becoming a candidate or withdraw his or her candidacy.” I don't know who added that law though, couldn't look it up quickly.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Pinterest Mom posted:

yeah that's really stupid

the bit about not promising employment or office to someone to refrain from being a candidate makes sense, but that's a different thing entirely

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
- internal 20 mm M61 rotary cannon (412 rounds)
- 4× AIM-9 Sidewinder air to air missiles
- maximum speed of mach 1.8
- combat radius of 722 km

maximizing economic benefits for the middle class

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Jordan7hm posted:

yeah that's really stupid

the bit about not promising employment or office to someone to refrain from being a candidate makes sense, but that's a different thing entirely

Kathleen: Hey Glenn, how about you refrain from being a candidate for the NDP and we'll give you a sweet job?
Glenn: No, that's illegal.
Kathleen: Okay, how about you be a candidate for us and we'll give you a sweet job if you win?
Glenn: gently caress yeah, I like the cut of your jib.
Kathleen: Rad, now let's call Andrew Olivier and see if he'll resign quietly if we promise him a sweet job too.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I know I'm being an idealist but the law writers probably were too. The law might see political parties appoint the most qualified people to appropriate cabinet positions and maybe disincent a struggling incumbent party from luring strong opposing candidates with promises of extra power, money and connections that come with top cabinet spots?

I mean, if you're looking to appoint "the best qualified", it's a lot more likely that the best qualified person for the job is outside your caucus than in.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Aug 26, 2018

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

GENDERED SLUR posted:

So have we officially dropped out of the F-35 purchase now?

No we're still handin over bags of cash to maintain eligibility to the program for the quid pro quo economic benefits

Pinterest Mom posted:

Bains gets elected in Brampton. An NDP leader needs to appeal in francophone Québec. :shrug:

They need something to unite the left and promise jobs for Quebec or bombardier. I suspect this person will not be wearing a burqa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

get ready for prime minister Leitch

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/conservative-senators-middle-class-tax-amendments-1.3862473

quote:

In a rare move, Conservative senators on the Red Chamber's finance committee have amended a spending bill passed by the House to rewrite the government's proposed middle-class tax plan.

Conservative Senator Larry Smith moved an amendment to Bill C-2, which he said would make the plan revenue neutral — a promise the Liberals made during the last election, but subsequently broke as their plan will cost the treasury an additional $1.7 billion a year — and would deliver a larger tax break to middle-class Canadians earning between $45,282 and $90,563.

For example, a Canadian earning $60,000 a year would get a tax cut of $570.12 under Smith's plan, versus the $261.36 the Liberals had originally intended, according to figures provided by Smith at committee.

But the amendment also reduces the tax savings Liberals had promised those earning between $90,563 and $200,000.

For example, a tax filer with an income of $120,000 would see tax savings drop from $766.37 to only $87.15 a year, Smith said.