Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

So if there's a toxic cloud over the compound, is there any point to doing anything other than quitting and restarting? It doesn't help that a herd of mad boomalopes just started attacking and a flash storm struck simultaneously, so even if I were able to micromanage all my farm animals and people into staying indoors they'd be on fire.

Use zones in order to restrict people and animals to indoor, though your animals are probably dead unless you have a stock of hay sitting around.

Its not a game over situation, but it'll definitely put the stress on your people. Remember mad animals don't attack things behind doors, so it shouldn't affect that aspect. Flash storm is mondo unlucky but thats how things shake out sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRB pooping
Apr 17, 2008

Broken Loose posted:

So if there's a toxic cloud over the compound, is there any point to doing anything other than quitting and restarting? It doesn't help that a herd of mad boomalopes just started attacking and a flash storm struck simultaneously, so even if I were able to micromanage all my farm animals and people into staying indoors they'd be on fire.

Allow only indoors and paths to your important buildings. Quickly build a room with a growinglamp in the middle, see to it that your pawns roof it quickly. Your pawns can stay out in the open for a while so you have the time to throw down a building or two. You can create pillars around your paths and designate a roof-area around them, since the cloud only affects stuff that isnt under a roof this will also decrease your pawns exposure

EDIT: Just saw that you got boomalopes. Yeah, that can be tricky. The boomalopes are your priority, see if you can take them out. Pop in and out of a door to keep your guys safe. Take care of any fire after you´ve killed the last one. It might go tits up, but its not lost yet

BRB pooping fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Nov 21, 2016

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Also remember that turrets will attack mad animals. I sometimes put turrets around doors and if mad animals appear I just keep everyone behind the wall and let the turrets clear out boomalope.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Broken Loose posted:

Fortunately, once a forest fire goes on for too long a rain storm is created to put it out as a workaround to firestorms being nearly unstoppable without planning.

You may just have to slaughter your farm animals, unless you have a ton of meals stocked. Animals will eat prepared meals as long as the source is made of food they can eat.

Your colony likely isn't over, though you should probably assign all colonists to create a 5 block fire break of cleared land around your colony, along with the roofed paths as suggested.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Radiohead71 posted:

2. My colony is doing well, but I am really lacking in trading. I hope to get that going. I put my silver next to my trade beacon and spent 300 silver to get the trading going, but all of the videos I've watched show the traders calling all the time and that doesn't happen to me. Do I have to tribute 300 silver to each one to get our communication going? It is getting colder and I don't think I can make 7 parkas and tuques before my crew freezes so I hope to buy some clothing asap.

As long as your comm module is powered, you should get an orbital trader stopping by about once a season (or closer to 1.5 per season with Randy, averaged out over a long enough period), and a trade caravan about once per season (or every two seasons with Randy)

Volmarias posted:

You may just have to slaughter your farm animals, unless you have a ton of meals stocked. Animals will eat prepared meals as long as the source is made of food they can eat.

Animals that will eat meals (which is most of them) don't care what the meals are made out of. You can feed your herbivores human meat meals, and your carnivores vegetarian meals. For larger herbivores and most carnivores, simple meals made with vegetables are the most resource efficient option for creating food for them.

autistic cum slut
Jun 3, 2011
Is it possible to harvest organs from human corpses? I've got a freezer full of dead people with mostly intact organs and one of my people just had a heart attack but I've not got the research to make surrogate organs yet.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

autistic cum slut posted:

Is it possible to harvest organs from human corpses? I've got a freezer full of dead people with mostly intact organs and one of my people just had a heart attack but I've not got the research to make surrogate organs yet.

Nope, only living people. Once someone dies, you can't pull anything out of them.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Zhentar posted:

Animals that will eat meals (which is most of them) don't care what the meals are made out of. You can feed your herbivores human meat meals, and your carnivores vegetarian meals. For larger herbivores and most carnivores, simple meals made with vegetables are the most resource efficient option for creating food for them.

Really? That's surprising but good for me if so; suddenly starting with a Warg on a map without much game doesn't become an Ol' Yeller scenario.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
One of the most important things you can do in this game is learn how to use zones properly. It will save you from poo poo like the poison clouds and the mad animals. Also lol if you don't have a choke point entry to your colony lined with turrets

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Can someone explain armor and materials stats to me?

I'm looking at the wiki page for leathers and it shows pigskin as having a "armor heat factor" of 3.85 (most leathers have a ahf of 1.7), but an insulation heat factor of 1.1. This mean it will provide better armor against burning attacks ?

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Volmarias posted:

Really? That's surprising but good for me if so; suddenly starting with a Warg on a map without much game doesn't become an Ol' Yeller scenario.

Wargs are one of the two types of animals that won't eat meals (the other being Alphabeavers)

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm looking at the wiki page for leathers and it shows pigskin as having a "armor heat factor" of 3.85 (most leathers have a ahf of 1.7), but an insulation heat factor of 1.1. This mean it will provide better armor against burning attacks ?

That's correct. Technically, it will also protect against frostbite damage, but there's no apparel that covers the frostbite sensitive parts so that doesn't matter (but if you modded in gloves, it would).

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Zhentar posted:

Wargs are one of the two types of animals that won't eat meals (the other being Alphabeavers)

My colony has trained Warg. We have a lot of meals and kibble made in the freezer but I don't think he eats either of these. Will he hunt on his own and take care of himself or do I have to worry about him becoming mad and eating a pawn? I'm too busy to see what/how it eats but it has been fine (so far). I see on the wiki they only eat meat or corpses and I don't have any of those around.

Radiohead71 fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Nov 23, 2016

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I think all animals will eat kibble or prepared meals regardless of what theyre made of. They will hunt but ive lost a couple of animals to infection because of this so its your call.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's the deal with raiders shooting up your livestock? They really, really like killing my chickens even though they are under fire.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Can someone explain armor and materials stats to me?

As far as I understand, "heat armour" is a you say, armour against heat damage, I don't know what insulation heat specifically does but I'm guessing it's the multiplier to the maximum temperature protection of any armour that is made of that material? So it would be a good thing to make a duster out of, for example.

oohhboy posted:

What's the deal with raiders shooting up your livestock? They really, really like killing my chickens even though they are under fire.

They'll go after anything they can kill, generally they favor the thing that's easiest to hit even if it's not the most threatening.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Supposedly Wargs will only eat meat or corpses, not kibble.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 23, 2016

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

"Walk three feet to the right?! Who has the time!"

Frandle promptly caught on fire and dropped the rescuee in a panic, who then also caught on fire and died.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Supposedly Wargs will only eat meat or corpses, not kibble.

They ate kibble last time I used them. I stopped training them in favor of omnivorous haulers though, because I only use human meat to make kibble, and I'd rather have my haulers eating hay/surplus vegetables. Keeping a decent stockpile of meat for fine or better meals is hard enough without my hauler animals competing for it.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

OwlFancier posted:

You should have time to put the fire out, though the boomalopes will eventually die and explode everywhere so good luck with that. On the other hand, free food if you can survive the boomapocalypse!

Toxic fallout basically just means you can't let anyone spend much time outside, they can go out for a little while just don't let their buildup get too high.

It's really important that they don't spend too much time outside while toxic. Too much exposure can cause permanent and untreatable dementia at higher levels of buildup.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Wargs dont eat kibble or meals. They will only eat raw meat or corpses. Nothing else.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Speaking of kibble, how does prioritizing jobs at the slaughter bench work? I had maintaining a minimum of 50 kibble on top of the list, followed by skinning for meat that would be used for cooking. Despite having zero kibble on-hand, they would never make any. They skinned for meat every time. Is it an issue with the quantities, am I missing a priority slider, or something else!?

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

GenericOverusedName posted:

Wargs dont eat kibble or meals. They will only eat raw meat or corpses. Nothing else.

Right, I watched him today and he went into the freezer and ate raw bird meat.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Radiohead71 posted:

My colony has trained Warg. We have a lot of meals and kibble made in the freezer but I don't think he eats either of these. Will he hunt on his own and take care of himself or do I have to worry about him becoming mad and eating a pawn? I'm too busy to see what/how it eats but it has been fine (so far). I see on the wiki they only eat meat or corpses and I don't have any of those around.

They will hunt on their own, and they will starve to death rather than eat one of your pawns (unless they go berserk, at which point they become fair game). I recommend keeping a second freezer full of raider corpses to feed carnivores, though.

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Speaking of kibble, how does prioritizing jobs at the slaughter bench work? I had maintaining a minimum of 50 kibble on top of the list, followed by skinning for meat that would be used for cooking. Despite having zero kibble on-hand, they would never make any. They skinned for meat every time. Is it an issue with the quantities, am I missing a priority slider, or something else!?

If they aren't working the highest non-suspended bill, then one or more of the bill's requirements isn't being met.

GraceGarland
Jul 4, 2003

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Kibble needs some kind of vegetable, even hay. Maybe you didn't have any vegetables within the ingredient radius?

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

That is almost certainly the issue. I figured since it was a recipe for the butcher table it was just straight meat/carcasses required.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

bhvdsabhvbsha

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dirty Frank posted:

bhvdsabhvbsha

oh, dirty frank, you rascal

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Dirty Frank posted:

bhvdsabhvbsha

Super rude

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Well my colony isn't doing too well. I have 3 people in the infirmity, the complex is under a toxic fallout cloud, and a siege just showed up. Everyone is clustered in the infirmary trying to keep people alive, so that mortar could potentially be very fatal.

My prison got hit as well, killing 3 prisoners and wounding the other. Also, my colonists are mentally upset because they have yet to be able to bury their friend who died from a fire yet due to the toxins.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

jadebullet posted:

Well my colony isn't doing too well. I have 3 people in the infirmity, the complex is under a toxic fallout cloud, and a siege just showed up. Everyone is clustered in the infirmary trying to keep people alive, so that mortar could potentially be very fatal.

My prison got hit as well, killing 3 prisoners and wounding the other. Also, my colonists are mentally upset because they have yet to be able to bury their friend who died from a fire yet due to the toxins.

On the plus side, that siege isn't going to last particularly long.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Ok, someone I know just started playing and I'm trying to remember all the tips I can think of for them.

Here's my list so far:

1) Granite is the strongest building material and makes the best cover for building bunkers and defense walls.

2) Marble is the prettiest stone and gives the best art bonus for stone.

3) Make sure your bunkers are roofed over so the defenders get the "in darkness" bonus.

4) In addition to the obviously bad traits, beware the "pretty" and "beautiful" traits, because everyone in your colony will hit on the hot chick and then get sad when she turns them down.

5) Generally a couple of 11x11 plots will be enough to feed your colony. Corn gives the best overall ratio of time/food but also has the longest growing time. Strawberries avoid the "eaten raw" mood hit, so you may want to exclude them from being cooked in recipes (stove->bills->details).

6) research devilstrand early and plant an immense amount of it if you want to tailor good defensive shirts and pants for your whole colony.

7) Pigskin makes the best dusters (massive bonus to heat and burning damage resist) but rhinohide is also very good (bonus to sharp and blunt attacks).
Alpaca wool makes very good cowboy hats.

8) At start, try for characters with high Social and Medical skills as those are hard to raise in-game. A good Constructor and a good Crafter are also a big help. You want to start with one character with at least Growing 8 (to grow the Healroot; bonus points if he has Green Thumb).

8) if you're trying to capture people, use blunt melee weapons -- plasteel maces, wooden maces, or multiple attackers with bare fists seem to be the ideal. You'll do lots of non-critical damage and incapacitate without killing.

9) EMP mortars trivialize most of the poison ship encounters.

10) Train up your artists sculpting wood sculptures as they're cheap and can be worked fast, then shift to stone (ideally marble). Similarly, stonecutting is a decent way to train up low skill crafters -- use the "details" setting to limit stone production to low-skill dudes.

11) Don't build more power than you need; at first one turbine, one panel, and one battery is plenty. Too many batteries and when there's a short circuit in your refrigerator all your food will burn up (ask me how I know!)

12) Speaking of turbines, neither solar panels nor crop zones block turbines (well, as long as you aren't growing trees).

13) look for a starting location with a big patch of Rich Soil. Pay attention to what you plant where: corn and rice grow best in rich soil, potatoes are the the least harmed by bad or gravel soil.

14) if you reroll your map with the same seed and location, the soil and rocks will be roughly the same but geothermal vents and structures and ruins on the map will be different.

15) sandbags and rubble slow down opponents as they climb onto it, but not once they're on it; lay out some single tile rows of stone rubble to slow down attackers.

16) Give miniguns to "trigger happy" colonists regardless of their shooting skill; skill doesn't matter, they'll spray faster, especially if you aim at something behind your primary target.

17) It's fine to have lots of general Constructors for mass jobs like laying tile, but make sure only your best constructors build furniture as quality makes a difference. You can build large numbers of chairs, tables, etc. to get good ones and then deconstruct the junk.

18) Build chairs to sit at your workstations / benches. Will give your crafters a bonus.

19) Chickens give eggs; cows give the most milk; alpacas give the most wool; muffalos and dromedaries give both wool and milk but at slower rates.

20) Labradors, timber wolves, huskies, wargs, boars, and some other animals can be trained as haulers (wargs are the "best" canine, but will only eat meat; huskies best that eat kibble).

21) For your refrigerator room, build it double-walled, of stone, and put in more coolers than you think you need in case a heat wave strikes and spoils all your meat at once.

22) You can click drag on the Animals menu.

23) You can get separate mood bonuses for a "rec room" and a "dining room" if you build two different rooms instead of just slapping your dining table next to your pool hall.

24) You can avoid the "tattered apparel" mood hit, assuming you have enough clothing for everyone, by setting a custom outfit under "assign" and limiting it to only gear over 50% in durability.

25) Skill delay is a thing past rank 10, so it's better to specialize your pawns in specific skills so they stay sharp rather than have a bunch of generalists.

26) Shooting skill doesn't make much difference past rank 10; Sight, Manipulation, and weapon quality matter far more. A healthy pawn with a bionic eye and a high quality weapon is a significantly better soldier than a one-eyed pawn with high shooting skill. (For this and similar reasons, Careful Shooter is not as good as it sounds).

27) Hauling is extremely important. Items and crops and so forth decay if left outside so get it all under a roof pronto.

28) Insect jelly is tasty and gives a joy bonus; insect meat gives a joy hit, even cooked. Use insect meat to make kibble for your animals.

29) If you build on a coastline you will only face raiders from three directions instead of four.

3) learn to use the "details" tab under "bills" at your production tables. "drop on floor" vs. "take to stockpile," etc. Learn to use stockpile priorities.

31) The little "passion" flames by individual skills don't just impact skill learning rate; they also impact joy. Workers working at jobs they're passionate about will get a constant mood buff.

What else am I missing, or is any of that wrong or bad advice?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Dec 6, 2016

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Corn was nerfed last update, but I think most of that is good.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
How do you build bunkers? Is it something you have to research?

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
He is meaning huts with embrasures/sandbags to shoot from inside.

Speaking of embrasures, the ones in the Combat Realism mod seemed to be really overpowered due to enemies not being able to shoot back through them. However something seems to have changed and now enemies are pretty good at nailing my colonists through them.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

tuyop posted:

Corn was nerfed last update, but I think most of that is good.

Is it still a good choice overall ? Even with others or worse now?

jadebullet posted:

How do you build bunkers? Is it something you have to research?

Yeah, i mean for defensive positions for your guys to fire at invaders from. I've found little pillbox squares of alternating granite and sandbags work better than a single line -- invaders swarm between the boxes and then you get good lines of fire from your other boxes.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Yeah, i mean for defensive positions for your guys to fire at invaders from. I've found little pillbox squares of alternating granite and sandbags work better than a single line -- invaders swarm between the boxes and then you get good lines of fire from your other boxes.

I'm not sure, I always go with rice in fertile soil and potatoes and berries in normal soil.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wrap hard corners approaching your base with something. If you have the fences or razor wire mod this will prevent them from using that corner as full cover. Also seal the bunkers so you don't get melee when they swarm, especially tribesmen and it also makes man hunter packs a minimal threat that is near free meat. Have plenty of live stock like Chickens as they all like to kill them which takes the heat off your shooters.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Food wise it's quite good, possibly not the absolute optimal choice but it keeps longer than other food so if you want a food to stockpile it's probably the best, if you're on a very tight growing budget then the aforementioned rice in good soil and spuds in bad soil will give you more food output per tile I suspect.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Woooohoooo masterwork thrumbofur duster

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/112983518050252431/AB0940B09DBA82BF8884D73898133140D0B98820/

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
My bases never get that nice looking. Mostly look like the end of the boat sequence of Apocalypse Now.