Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Main Paineframe posted:

I can't see mincome being popular among people who bitch about welfare because it gives their tax dollars to lazy layabouts who don't have the respectable work ethic to go get a job on their own. Nor, for that matter, would it be popular among the people who bitch about immigrants taking their economic opportunities. I realize the usual response is "mm-hrm, actually literally all progressive positions poll well, therefore we are objectively right and the masses are just being misled by the right-wing conspiracy", but how many "mincome for everyone" polls clarify that everyone includes "yes, even the minorities you think are lazy"?

like I literally just said that mincome isn't going to poll well even among its recipients. it's not mainly about heaping abuse on the other (it's still a little about heaping abuse on the other), it's about a total lack of faith that a system that people have spent their entire lives with and never once seen to be meaningfully answerable to them or work to their interests is suddenly going to transform into Santa Claus because some clique of well-fed bougies who look basically the same as the 'bad' clique of well-fed bougies and go to the same exclusive parties gets pushed to the fore of the public trough. The default assumption is that anyone in power is motivated mainly by self-interest, and that any promise of something for nothing is a scam that will be reneged on or a Trojan horse for a payoff to some third party who'd negotiated a deal on the DL with the listener left to foot the bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Pollyanna posted:

I just want to see this election get even more insane. At this point, why not go all the way? What've we got to lose? :shepface:

In a shocking turn of events, it's revealed that the DNC and RNC both hacked voting machines to steal the election from Jill Stein.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

HannibalBarca posted:

That's just in one county though. Feingold lost statewide by more than Clinton. At the county level, you're talking sample sizes that are small enough (relatively speaking) for all sorts of weirdos to rear their heads.

I think we're on the same side? I just find it interesting/unusual how that voter breakdown looks even in the bizarre second-twist case where the 3000 phantom votes were Democratic stuffing.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Niton posted:

I think we're on the same side? I just find it interesting/unusual how that voter breakdown looks even in the bizarre second-twist case where the 3000 phantom votes were Democratic stuffing.

sorry, I'm tired and I've sort of lost the plot. whatever our disagreement is/may be, you're probably right. if we are disagreeing.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Is this really what the answer comes down to? If the majority is going to get conned we might as well con them for the good of everyone.

I could be sold on it.

I tried going over to /r/the_donald and posted "Hannity vs Ryan: ‘Draining the swamp’ means more powerful House. Disloyal Republicans want the swamp for themselves. Shameful! ✔” twice. It got 8-10 upvotes and a “No it doesn't Ryan. It means getting rid of greedy people like you.” comment. I tried it first with the BuzzFeed article, but AutoModerator deleted it because "BuzzFeed ... has been identified as a severely anti-Trump domain." That was fair. I tried hitching an anti-Ryan comment to the recent upwelling of "Jeff Sessions can't compare to Robert Byrd" posts thinking I couldn't make things any worse. I got told that ABC, Time Magazine, and Fox News should be linked only from archived sources in order to avoid giving the "alt-left" money. I gave up after none of these posts got to the front page, but I think that if I kept making charts linking keywords to the amount of upvotes per user online, I could have done better.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Fitzy Fitz posted:

You hacked her, you cheated her, you stole her election.

Does this mean we'll end up with Zombie-Trump encased in a suit of armor bashing peoples heads in on alley walls?

I mean, I'm not really holding out hope that this is really a drat thing and it is reeking of the 2000 hysteria as mentioned previously. But holy poo poo the pall over this election...

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Absolutely nothing is going to come of this supposed voting machine problem.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Condiv posted:

i still hate clinton and she really doesn't deserve to be president. but america doesn't deserve trump either

lmao the gently caress it doesn't

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Maybe something could have at one point, but every single Democrat has already rolled over.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Niton posted:

Irrespective of anything else, that is a large discrepency between Clinton and Feingold voters. Who are those people?

BernieBros

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
If you seriously think that a recount is going to give the election to Hillary I would suggest you start brushing up on your long-distance hiking and marksmanship skills because uhhhhhhhhh

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
yeah, the republicans would just use their playbook from 2000, gum up the works and run out the clock on any recount.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Instant Sunrise posted:

yeah, the republicans would just use their playbook from 2000, gum up the works and run out the clock on any recount.

the real kicker here is that there's not even a recount being called for here per se, it seems that they're alleging some sort of strange infosec breach that flipped voting machine totals. Which is gonna be drat near impossible to prove without a smoking gun.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Instant Sunrise posted:

or even the bush v. gore tactic where the us supreme court issued a stay on the recount, then decide that since the recount wouldn't be done in time, to certify the previous total.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

galenanorth posted:

I tried going over to /r/the_donald and posted "Hannity vs Ryan: ‘Draining the swamp’ means more powerful House. Disloyal Republicans want the swamp for themselves. Shameful! ✔” twice. It got 8-10 upvotes and a “No it doesn't Ryan. It means getting rid of greedy people like you.” comment. I tried it first with the BuzzFeed article, but AutoModerator deleted it because "BuzzFeed ... has been identified as a severely anti-Trump domain." That was fair. I tried hitching an anti-Ryan comment to the recent upwelling of "Jeff Sessions can't compare to Robert Byrd" posts thinking I couldn't make things any worse. I got told that ABC, Time Magazine, and Fox News should be linked only from archived sources in order to avoid giving the "alt-left" money. I gave up after none of these posts got to the front page, but I think that if I kept making charts linking keywords to the amount of upvotes per user online, I could have done better.

I'll be honest, I kinda wondered about the efficacy of Meme wars and winning the battle of agitprop, but I don't think it's that valuable. Meme wars have an inherent age slant on them, and most of the younger population already has their head screwed on at least somewhat right anyway. I don't think you will win many allies you don't already have. I think you can beat them by just organizing and doing actual politics as a unit. A reddit campaign to tie up your representatives' lines to force sway on an issue is much more effective than trying to out-meme people who think that propaganda is truth.

I think we have a lot more allies we can make without having to con the rest in, but we aren't looking at the right places. I'd wager you'd have a lot better chance winning more allies by volume if you went to some sort of Abrahamic religious forum (especially a christian one) and learned how to debate and reason by their standards (Hint: The Bible wouldn't have many kind things to say about Trump).

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I wonder, how many Trump supporters feel personally betrayed that she is letting Hillary off and his position on most of his other stuff is relaxing already and he hasn't even taken office yet?

I guess what I'm asking is, of the people who voted for him, how many people actually, from their heart, believed the things he said? I've been wondering this since the general election started.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

infinitely more likely than the presidency getting torn from trump: dems handing over NC.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/801226924156719104

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Good Nate strikes again

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Samurai Sanders posted:

I wonder, how many Trump supporters feel personally betrayed that she is letting Hillary off and his position on most of his other stuff is relaxing already and he hasn't even taken office yet?

I guess what I'm asking is, of the people who voted for him, how many people actually, from their heart, believed the things he said? I've been wondering this since the general election started.

Quite a few, given a quick glance of places like /pol/ (looking at /r/t_d isn't terribly helpful as reddit's terrible system smothers minority views). But nobody is outright saying "I'm upset," they're all just uneasy at best. Remember that these people bought in to trump and so post-purchase rationalization is hard at work already.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

like I literally just said that mincome isn't going to poll well even among its recipients. it's not mainly about heaping abuse on the other (it's still a little about heaping abuse on the other), it's about a total lack of faith that a system that people have spent their entire lives with and never once seen to be meaningfully answerable to them or work to their interests is suddenly going to transform into Santa Claus because some clique of well-fed bougies who look basically the same as the 'bad' clique of well-fed bougies and go to the same exclusive parties gets pushed to the fore of the public trough. The default assumption is that anyone in power is motivated mainly by self-interest, and that any promise of something for nothing is a scam that will be reneged on or a Trojan horse for a payoff to some third party who'd negotiated a deal on the DL with the listener left to foot the bill.

The problem is that these same people who reject government help because they don't trust it to fix their problems then turn around and whine and bitch about how the government is neglecting them and won't fix their problems. "Help them with their problems" is not useful advice if they actively distrust attempts to help them with their problems and push back against them out of sheer spite.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Samurai Sanders posted:

Enough of them, for each discrete thing

it's impossible to simultaneously believe all the things he said, people picked the ones they liked and the rest were the poo poo just there to snow the rubes

Main Paineframe posted:

The problem is that these same people who reject government help because they don't trust it to fix their problems then turn around and whine and bitch about how the government is neglecting them and won't fix their problems. "Help them with their problems" is not useful advice if they actively distrust attempts to help them with their problems and push back against them out of sheer spite.

Well, yes, if you are incapable of helping people before asking them to blindly trust you for the umpteenth time they've heard that line from campaigning politicians, they're not going to blindly trust you. You are probably, also, actually incapable of helping people even when you've been given power, you're never going to be the godhead imposing your benevolent will with no resistance whatever.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Nov 23, 2016

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

what does this mean

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Pollyanna posted:

what does this mean
It means that paper ballots don't mean shiiiiiiiiit if you look at the demographics of people Hillary would need to flip/unhack.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Again we're assuming that's the only thing they noticed.

Halderman seems to have some serious cred

Cyber-security writer at Politico

https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/801210272249708548

Also let's remember Russians have already tried hacking into voter registration databases for several states, as reported by Homeland Security (I think it was them that reported it).

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 23, 2016

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

If you haven't already, now is a great time to start organizing your friends and acquaintances against trumpism. Pick small, specific issues to rally around and don't impose too high of an ideological barrier to enter. Collect contact details and start compiling a list of groups to link up with. I'm telling ya, fellow goons, this is your chance to get people involved in local politics and organizing. I've been doing it since the election and we've already got around 400 normally non-political people rallied up. And I'm an awkward gently caress

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

theblackw0lf posted:

Also let's remember Russians have already tried hacking into voter registration databases for several states, as reported by Homeland Security (I think it was them that reported it).

Michigan has all-paper ballots so that would be quite a trick for Putin to pull off.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

theblackw0lf posted:

This is loving pathetic. The big bad Russian bear! Watch out!

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

People who think they have it bad don't really want to hear that anyone else has it worse. In fact they will flip the gently caress out when you so much as hint that might be the case.

:ironicat:

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Why do we keep wondering if hackers changed the vote numbers around when we already have compelling proof that Russian-related state actors hacked the DNC by spearfishing them with e-mails multiple times, dumped them to wikileaks, and then had them dumped onto media outlets?

Have people not learned that the war of infosec is a war of dirty laundry not stuxnet tier reactor fuckery.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I don't think the election was stolen by hacking or something, but it'd be real nice for the legitimacy of our democracy if we enforced even basic cybersecurity controls on our voting machines, IMO

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It looks like the juicy poo poo re: the Trump presidency dumpster fire is gonna be slooooow going. I wish there was more insane poo poo going on. I want to see it collapse like a mother.

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

Bullfrog posted:

If you haven't already, now is a great time to start organizing your friends and acquaintances against trumpism. Pick small, specific issues to rally around and don't impose too high of an ideological barrier to enter. Collect contact details and start compiling a list of groups to link up with. I'm telling ya, fellow goons, this is your chance to get people involved in local politics and organizing. I've been doing it since the election and we've already got around 400 normally non-political people rallied up. And I'm an awkward gently caress

I posted this in the Negrotown thread, and had some really good feedback, so I'm posting it here too:

If you are interested in helping to get Keith Ellison the DNC chair position, I'd strongly suggest reaching out to your state's dem progressive caucus assuming they exist where you are. At least here in Michigan, we are planning to rally at the meeting where they are selecting our dnc members, To make it very clear that they better back him when the time comes to vote in February. Barring some major grassroots upsurge for Martin O Malley or Howard Dean, this should be an easy win for us. If you are in the Metro Detroit area, and are interested in getting involved (and possibly getting a position within the state party for yourself) please shoot me a PM so we can talk!

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/801210219019673600
https://twitter.com/SimonMaloy/status/801230994305089536

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Man it's gonna be weird to have Ben Carson talking his crazy talk as part of the government.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Why do we keep wondering if hackers changed the vote numbers around when we already have compelling proof that Russian-related state actors hacked the DNC by spearfishing them with e-mails multiple times, dumped them to wikileaks, and then had them dumped onto media outlets?

Have people not learned that the war of infosec is a war of dirty laundry not stuxnet tier reactor fuckery.

this is primarily a war being fought on behalf of two 70-year-olds, one who talks about 'the cyber' like it's one of those 80s neon grids full of three-dimensional shapes and the other who leaked state secrets because she couldn't stop loving installing Bonzi buddy and setting her password to "password", by lickspittles not much better informed about anything actually useful

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
I'm not sure how much credibility to lend the supposed statements in the NYT interview, but either way Trump isn't relaxing his position on "most of his other stuff", he's giving way on things like Hillary and climate change which aren't central to the agenda he's shaping (Hillary is busted now either way and he can very well believe in climate change while still cutting the regulations supposed to fight it). Symbolic acts like not chasing after Hillary and appointing establishment people like Romney to his Cabinet present him as a reasonable statesman and are a great way of muzzling opposition to his more substantive policies and convincing wobbly centrists to work with him. Theresa May did something similar here in the UK by appointing libertarian opponents of her domestic policies to her Cabinet, and if you want to go all the way with the comparison Mussolini did the exact same thing in the early years of his premiership.

That's not to say that Trump isn't a bullshitting demagogue -- he is -- it just means it's no reason to relax or assume he's going to fit into the establishment mould.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Samurai Sanders posted:

Man it's gonna be weird to have Ben Carson talking his crazy talk as part of the government.

well, he already declined one position offered by trump, so i'm more looking forward to the "no really i'm not interested leave me alone trump" followed by trump offering carson the vp slot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

reagan posted:

This is loving pathetic. The big bad Russian bear! Watch out!

Are you suggesting that Russia did not do the things Russia admitted to doing, or merely that bringing it up isn't manly or something?

• Locked thread