Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I think the datamined banned had the lovely keyword "Lucky" on it. Here's hoping for 25 mythril!

Related to this, when was the Thanksgiving daily mythril supposed to start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daraken
Oct 9, 2007

Maybe tomorrow, I'll find a home.
Huh, so apparently RMs can drop if you're doing Solo Raids. It might be worth it to do some farming, though I imagine it can get pretty tedious fairly quick.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Attestant posted:

I was thinking it'd start yesterday, but since it hasn't happened yet I'm going to assume it won't start until it's actually Thanksgiving.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Attestant posted:

I think on Thanksgiving

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Yeah, if it didn't start on Monday it seems likely that it won't actually begin until Thanksgiving proper.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Nihilarian posted:

I'm assuming worst case scenario

1: 50 mythril
2: 1 time only
3: only one relic is guaranteed to be a burst

Which would still be great

It's all but certain to be the usual 25 mythril single pull banner but if they do make it 50 mythril and repeatable? Wallets will be destroyed.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's all but certain to be the usual 25 mythril single pull banner but if they do make it 50 mythril and repeatable? Wallets will be destroyed.

I'd say repeatable at full price is pretty unlikely, if only because they may rake money in on the short-term but on the long-term not only will any banner with returning BSBs be way less popular but pulling on anything else will be way less attractive because that's such a good deal. Essentially, "why should I whale out on anything less than this in the future?"

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
Also, it means that any returning BSBs-for instance, pretty much all of OSBfest-are going to have that much higher chance of dupes... which means people won't pull on that banner as likely.

Also, being able to pull on a super powerful banner eight times=big power instability compared to JP and screwing over of players that come in after it.

Yeah, I just can't see it myself. Weird things happen, though?

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
They've never done it before. I mean, if they wanted to create a whale banner, they could. Here, I'll do it right now: Ragnarok VII, Apocalypse, Onion Gauntlets, Hamelin, Orichalcum Dirk, Sun Blade, Rune-Graven Bow, Ashe's Defiance, Lightbringer, Platinum Sword, Sentinel's Grimoire, Thyrus. Here, almost every single piece of whale bait on one banner. They could do it but obviously haven't. There's no doubt a reason for that.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

SageAcrin posted:

Also, being able to pull on a super powerful banner eight times=big power instability compared to JP and screwing over of players that come in after it.

Yeah, I mean it's not like this wasn't a banner offered in Japan, with the first 11-pull free and with infinite subsequent 11-pulls at the normal 50 mythril price:

Cloud OSB, Tidus OSB, Terra OSB, Bartz OSB, OK BSB, PCecil BSB, Y'shtola BSB, Aerith BSB, Ramza SSB (Shout), Celes SSB, Krile SSB (Sheepsong).

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Jesus, when is that expected to drop in global?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

acumen posted:

Jesus, when is that expected to drop in global?

End of March. It was a one-day banner on the date of the second anniversary. Our banner may be slightly different; they let the players vote on what would be on the banner, but they've been spotty about letting Global change voted-on stuff.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Second anniversary fest.

Thing about Ultros Banner, though, is that an infinite Burst lucky draw is better; You can draw on it eight times and you have a non-trivial chance of getting (mostly) new stuff on the later draws.

If you do that with Ultros.. well, enjoy your 8* gear.

(To be clear; I mean better for infinite draws. For single draws, Ultros' "free" is better than 25 or 50, regardless of what we get, so... and I'm not bothering to puzzle out where multiple draws would become not worth it, as that varies on how many Bursts you have, what in Ultros you have, what you value in general, etc.)

SageAcrin fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 22, 2016

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Plus the anniversary banner was, well, a 2nd anniversary thing. They went a little crazy for that. I don't see how Black Friday would rate something that special, I mean a one-time all Bursts banner is already plenty crazy.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I was just pointing out that "It would overpower us relative to JP!" is a silly stance to take.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Sure, no doubt. My point was only ever that it's not like they can't make whale banners. If all they were after was a one-time influx of cash from massive pulling, all they'd need to do is go on Reddit, ask any regular contributor to make up a banner containing their wildest desires and voilà. That every banner is a mix of gold and chaff is not an accident, there's no way they don't realize every banner they've ever made has booby prizes in 'em.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Well, the thing is, JP didn't get Ultros banner six months ago, is what I mostly mean when I say "it would overpower us relative to JP".

Relative to the point in time we are on the timeline, it would be pretty broken, and the bosses we're getting are probably designed for not having that.

Edit: The hell is wrong with my math. Never mind the original thing I had as a second point, I'm out of it today.

SageAcrin fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 22, 2016

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Finally got around to trying out the Multiplayer stuff, and it's super fun! ... on those rare occasions when I actually get to play instead of it getting to the battle screen then saying someone else disconnected and terminating the battle. :v:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
If you're the party leader and the others disconnect, it'll let you control their loadouts for the battle.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
Ok managed to get a game going and multiplayer is a hoot.

The sheer amount of stacking debuffs flying about is pretty satisfying.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
are the multiplayer rewards as awful as they appear?

Inge
Jan 16, 2007

Snazzy Frocks posted:

are the multiplayer rewards as awful as they appear?

When it's fully implemented, they're pretty good. These are only awful because it's a 0 stamina beta

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Inge posted:

When it's fully implemented, they're pretty good. These are only awful because it's a 0 stamina beta

Yup, the repeatable, random awards are never really amazing but the base completion awards start including Mythril, Orbs and Motes once we get to the real stuff.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

For the record, as with almost every event, these are exactly the same rewards Japan got for the same thing.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
So I take it that the multiplayer battles aren't worth doing right now, what with the rewards showing as a minor egg and some gil.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007

Sprite141 posted:

So I take it that the multiplayer battles aren't worth doing right now, what with the rewards showing as a minor egg and some gil.

Technically no, they aren't worth it.

But its free and fun, however if you are having problems connecting or something don't stress about it

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I'm finally approaching the point where my hones are in the "acceptable" range for high-end content and I'm not forced to rely on really good RWs and lots of S/Ling. Got my Full Break to R2 yesterday thanks to the Kain event, which was just enough to let me beat Atlas (after one reset where his health bar was literally invisible and I thought I'd won, only to have him Ultimate Roar right after my Wall wore off and wipe my entire party :argh:)

I've got all of my main elemental -ga spells at R3 and all of the -ja spells at R2, with Thundaja and Waterja at R3 so far, and I could R3 Firaja right now too, but I'm holding off until need it just in case something else becomes important to craft / hone between now and Orbfest. All my Breakdowns are R3 except Mental Breakdown since I almost never use it, and for Summons I've got R2 Ixion, R3 Valefor, and R3 Ifrit / Shiva / Ramuh.

I guess I'm kinda wondering which 5* skills I should be focusing on in the future. I'm going to keep chipping away at the stuff I've already got, too, but I think with a lot of them I'm at the point where more hones would mostly be a luxury because U++ / Nightmare fights are the only ones where I'm even at risk of running out of hones now.

Aside from the free stuff (which is all insanely expensive to hone), I've only got R2 Full Break and R1 Multibreak crafted. I could craft Tornado Strike and / or Meteor right now, but I have no idea how good those actually are. What do you guys get the most use out of, generally? I'm still running a physical team 90% of the time but I'm saving for banners that will let me expand into more mage stuff since I want to be able to have that option for all the bosses that are miserable / basically impossible without it.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Outside of Full Break (and for mage teams the Chain -gas), 5 star and up abilities are strictly luxuries.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Dark Zone is a must if you're running a darkness mage. It's a chain -ga with its own built in damage boost if you have doom, and you can doom yourself with memento mori.

If you use machinists, Bio Grenade owns kind of a lot.

Powerchain and Full Charge are a potent combo used together, or you can use Powerchain alone for something like an OSB.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'd say with the main hurdles (Full Break and Multi Break) out of the way, I'd have my eye on:

Saint Cross: arguably the 5* offensive skill you'll end up using more than any other. It's of an excellent element (rarely resisted and a reasonably common weakness), and fairly ubiquitous - in about a month every realm will have a 5* Knight. You really want this to be at R3 eventually, so it's definitely a long-term call.
Chain spells: I wouldn't say necessary, but if you want to build a mage team you're going to want at least one of these eventually. You can get away with R2ing them for a while until you commit to a certain element. If you don't have any of them, Chain Bioga comes next week.

Other considerations, these can be considered luxury hones depending on what characters you have relics for:

Meteor/Bahamut: Like Multi Break, these are somewhat niche, but useful for when you need them. Bahamut is strong enough that at a decent hone level you can bring it to U+ fights, and it's more necessary for certain characters (like Garnet) to do damage. However it's a very long-haul project, as Summon orbs come in at a slow trickle and both Non-Ele and Dark orbs are in demand. Meteor is less potent, but more hone-friendly since it comes with two uses at R1. You can even just R1 it and that will be fine for most AoE fights. Your call for now.
Flashing Blade: Like the above, R1 is probably fine for most fights where you want to bring it. Worth considering over the other AoE 5*s because it never misses, and Samurais really don't have a lot of other options. Sky Grinder is an acceptable substitute if your Dragoon situation is a better than your Samurai.
Dark Zone: Very strong when coupled with Memento Mori. You'll probably want to R3 this if going for it, so long-term call. Only issue is that it uses Dark Orbs, and conflicts with the Chain spells.
Meteor Crush: Monk 5*. Unless you want to make a dedicated Earth Monk, you can just R1 this, especially since they'll get a more useful skill soon. Still nice to bring when you're not using Shout.
Sapphire Shot/Thief Raid/Lightning Dive: Sharpshooter/Thief/Dragoon DPS skills. Judge based on your character situation.
Full Charge: The most usable 5* offensive skill, since Combat is everywhere. The long charge time can be a put-off, but in terms of efficiency it's hard to beat this without elemental boosting equipment. A lower hone priority since each use of the skill does more damage.
Powerchain: More of a utility skill than a DPS skill. Mainly used in conjunction with Full Charge, but can also be used to get up SBs or RWs up quickly.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

My contribution to this; After recently making R2 Chain Firaga and Full Charge, I usually smile when I use them.

After making Saint Cross, my impulse is usually maniacal laughter, but I admittedly have a double strengthen setup for that.

I think something that's easy to miss, but that I caught on to recently after making it, is that, for just boss purposes and assuming you don't need the always hit trait for something, an R2 Full Charge is actually as hone-to-damage efficient as an R4 Pound, and obviously way the hell faster than emptying eight Pounds into something. This is disconcerting.

But yeah my only other contribution to this is; Don't bother making R1 5* unless you have a Burst on the character(My Faris does occasionally lug around Sapphire Shot, yes.) or have a very well honed 4*. Running out of shots is no fun. (And if you can do this, consider 6* abilities you may have access to, instead...)

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Attestant posted:

I think the datamined banned had the lovely keyword "Lucky" on it. Here's hoping for 25 mythril!

All "Lucky Draw" means is that everything that isn't a featured relic has been pulled out of the 5* pool. Our (repeatable) Nightmare Lucky Draws and the Debuff Lucky Draw were still called Lucky Draws. In other words, you won't get offbanner shared SB poo poo or Genji Shields or, in this case, anything but a BSB. Rainbow orbs will always be BSBs, that's pretty drat lucky.

That said, last year's Black Friday draw was a 25-myth one-time, but it was only ON Black Friday, so if you don't have the 25 myth handy (or 50 myth, if that's the case), sucks to be you.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Thanks for all the advice guys!

I probably will end up going with Saint's Cross at least, just because I've got Beatrix's BSB, Excalibur (V), and Physician's Staff that all boost Holy Damage, and I've also got Ramza's Iga Blade even though it's hard to justify ever using that over Shout unless the battle drags on for a long-rear end time. If I ever end up getting Pecil's BSB or something, I will have an extremely gross Holy team.

Since nobody mentioned Tornado Strike, I take it it's not all that useful outside of niche situations? I've got Cloud's en-wind SB and his OSB, so I probably don't really *need* much else against enemies with wind weaknesses, I guess.

Definitely looking at 6-star abilities, though I've only recently been able to do the fights that reward any crystals. So far I've only beaten the Crushdown Nightmare dungeon completely - I'm not sure I'm in a position to clear the end bosses on any of the other ones yet, so most of the 6-star stuff is behind a pretty big wall for me. It would be nice to have Meltdown and Curada, for sure, and Affliction Break sames handy too.

edit: -v Oh, nice!

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 23, 2016

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Do note that Gaia Cross is coming less than a week from now and is arguably better than Saint Cross, since it gives you draw fire rather than regen+esuna.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Do note that Gaia Cross is coming less than a week from now and is arguably better than Saint Cross, since it gives you draw fire rather than regen+esuna.

But doesn't interact with the cornucopia of holy synergy buffs debuffs and gear that make saints cross so great.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I'm assuming it's Earth damage, right? I've always wondered why there's no earth-based Spellblade, considering wind and water got one. I was actually really pumped to get Titan for free because it let me do the medal conditions for Nightmare Tiamat without having to craft Quake or something that I wouldn't use very much.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
There's... TECHNICALLY an earth-based Spellblade, as part of Bartz's burst (Flurry Blast is a 4x Fire/Earth Spellblade attack), but that's obviously not helpful to considering general ability honing.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Gaia Cross being Earth damage is kind of a niche thing. Very little is weak to Earth but it's not super commonly resisted either. Holy, though, is an incredibly common weakness. Ever so slightly more often resisted or nulled, to be fair, but holy poo poo is it ever a common weakness. I went ahead and checked the next five weeks' worth of Ultimate fights for the hell of it and it's actually an uncharacteristically dry spell, with only two bosses out of 15 that are weak to it. Earth, meanwhile, gets a rare chance to shine: all of one boss is weak to it! That's more than the last three months combined! Okay, I lied, there was one boss fight that was weak to Earth, for one phase out of five: the U+ for the Mobius event. That's it. I went all the way back to the Greg event and that was it. Take my word for it that I lost count of the amount of fights that were weak to Holy on the way, it was a lot. Then you factor in the fact that Holy boosting swords are a) often attached to very appealing SBs and b) by far the most common element boosting piece of equipment. Gaia Cross is not arguably better than Saint Cross, it is unarguably worse.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

In a vacuum, Gaia Cross has the better effect stapled on, and allows a Tauntaliator to keep doing damage with things other than their autoattack.

In the current state of things, unless you have an Earth Imperil (Guy and Yang say hi!) or an Enearth (appropriately enough, like the one Ingus is getting on banner 2 of the same event that gives us Gaia Cross... except that BSB also gives him draw fire so the incidental effect of Gaia Cross is rendered moot) then you will almost always lose damage jumping to Gaia Cross from Saint Cross. There's too many Holy boosts and too many Holy-weak things out there.

Plus there's the fact that if you're a Knight 5 not named Ingus, you are far more likely to get gear that beefs up Saint Cross than Gaia Cross.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Worse damage, VASTLY higher utility. It grants +200% Defense (this is literally the same boost to Defense that Sentinel's Grimoire and Stoneskin II give) to the user and attracts all PHY and BLK single-target or random-target attacks. Immensely, immensely useful. The "utility" on Saint Cross, meanwhile, is almost nonesistent. Low regen is more of a drawback than a benefit with how common party-wide high regen is, and self-Esuna literally only matters for Blind (and it happens after the attack, so you're gonna miss those hits anyway).

Zurai fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 23, 2016

• Locked thread