Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

As I understand it, it literally only applies to things boosted by Prankster

Aw I was kinda hoping it all ability boosted stuff. Like Triage and Gale Wings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone want a Comfey? I have too many and now it's time to sell Sell SELL! I AM LITERALLY DROWNING IN COMFEYS

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

ChaosArgate posted:

Trading opens up when you hit the first pokemon center, or so, I think. Breeding opens up a little ways into Island 2, before the first trial.

Yeah? I'll go beg for eggs later then.

Edit: ooh, or just beg for a ditto.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So in what islands do trainers start to consistently have more than one pokemon because at this point they feel more like glorified random encounters that take longer because of cutscenes.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Axle_Stukov posted:

The first random trainer on the fourth island just busted out a Z-move. Like just a random scrub trainer holy gently caress this last island is going to be a thing.

Well, all the trainers on Poni Island have theoretically completed at least part of the Island Challenge, the only two trainers that appear to be native and not retired are the ones administering the Island Challenge there, so it makes sense for them to have a Z-stone.

By the way, I'm noticing a number of oversights in available items. For example, the Earth Plate just isn't in Alola, anywhere. I doubt ground-type Arceus was ever in very high demand, but it makes it impossible to get a complete set of plates. It's kind of annoying, and feels like Game Freak was in a bit of a rush towards the end and forgot. The Metal Coat is only available from wild Pokemon, as another example, you can't even get it at the Battle Tree (where the other evolve-when-traded items can be bought). I'm guessing this is because Pokemon is just becoming so drat big, with so many items, that the devs are starting to have trouble keeping track of it all. Guess that's the cost of having a series that's been going for two decades, and making most of it backwards-compatible.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

EclecticTastes posted:

I'm guessing this is because Pokemon is just becoming so drat big, with so many items, that the devs are starting to have trouble keeping track of it all. Guess that's the cost of having a series that's been going for two decades, and making most of it backwards-compatible.
You'd think at this point they'd have a file called "evolution items.txt" and "type-boosting items.txt" to be imported as the store data of various endgame shops.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I found a elekid in my random backtracking. Beat it up to 1 hp and it started calling for friends literally every turn to the point I yelled "COME ON" at it in a increasingly frustrated tone.

Then it called in a Chansey and I'm happy again

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Alkydere posted:

Correction, they will say the species your first non-fainted pokemon in your party. They won't say nicknames.

This is the most hosed up thing in Sun/Moon.

cancerianmoth posted:

Aw I was kinda hoping it all ability boosted stuff. Like Triage and Gale Wings.

Well Gale Wings sucks now so you don't have to worry about that anymore.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
alola raichu is the best and he is my friend

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

This is the first time I ever use a Munchlax, they are so cute

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

This is the most hosed up thing in Sun/Moon.
It's so they don't say things like "Wow, [trainer], you and "my penis" (or whatever stupid name you choose) have an incredibly close bond!"
It's the sort of thing people take screenshots of and post on the internet.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Well Gale Wings sucks now so you don't have to worry about that anymore.

They did WHAT now?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Blaziken386 posted:

It's so they don't say things like "Wow, [trainer], you and "my penis" (or whatever stupid name you choose) have an incredibly close bond!"

i named my pokemon very carefully and this is BULLSHIT

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Blaziken386 posted:

I know, but still :(

The Shortest Path posted:

They did WHAT now?

Only works while at full health now.

Edit: Sucks is probably an exaggeration, but Gale Wings got hit hard.

Electric Phantasm fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 23, 2016

Nemo07
Jul 26, 2013
My Araquanid just steamrolled the Fire Trial. :hehe: Now I'm flying around everywhere while drowning in beans and happy friends.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Mimikyu if you could kindly appear in this building that would be just lovely.
Friggin' 5% spawn rates on the best pokemon.
e: and literally the next pokemon I found was a female mimikyu, wow. How many times has bitching about pokemon in this thread worked?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Blaziken386 posted:

e: and literally the next pokemon I found was a female mimikyu, wow. How many times has bitching about pokemon in this thread worked?

that's the rules for every game with rng

rule 1)it knows what you want, and won't give it to you
rule 2)until you bitch somewhere, then it gives it to you

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i never did catch an eevee, but i managed to hatch one instead. now he is a cool sylveon

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Anyone used a Dhelmise? I caught one and it feels underwhelming so far.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Does anyone know what the mechanics behind SoS chaining and IVs are? Like, what's the correlation aside from "better, maybe"?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I keep hearing that Scald in the same place where I did the Water Trial, but I can't find the silly thing. Could anyone clarify for me?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

AND IT HAS A NEGATIVE ATTACK NATURE, OF COURSE IT DOES. :suicide:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

YggiDee posted:

I keep hearing that Scald in the same place where I did the Water Trial, but I can't find the silly thing. Could anyone clarify for me?

South-east corner of the second lake, you don't normally pass it while doing the trial.

--------

I accidentally attacked Hau's Pokemon in a multi battle. He used his Primarina's Hydro Vortex on me in exchange. Jesus dude, I'm sorry, it was a mistake.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Thanks!

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Obligatum VII posted:

Does anyone know what the mechanics behind SoS chaining and IVs are? Like, what's the correlation aside from "better, maybe"?

Some people are saying that you're guaranteed 4 maxed out IVs after 40 chains, but that's it.

YggiDee posted:

In the second surfable pool there is a path to the right that leads to the Scald TM.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.
WELP! Looks like I'll be waiting for Pokemon Stars instead. I just hope I can use the Pokemon Bank on the Switch somehow, I want to be able to transfer all my Pokemon from X.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Are hidden abilities like, incredibly terrible to get while chaining, or do they start being guaranteed after a while?

jarbv
Jul 10, 2004

Blaziken386 posted:

lol you dont just breed other mons after you catch one in the wild? :shrug:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

Does anyone know what two level-zero moves Mimikyu gets when it hatches? Because if it gets wood-hammer, it might be worth it to just start one from an egg as well.

e:

jarbv posted:

lol you dont just breed other mons after you catch one in the wild? :shrug:
my dude, it is a pain to level up a mon from level 1 when everything else is almost level 40
especially with no good grinding spots like the blissey bases of ORAS.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

cheetah7071 posted:

Are hidden abilities like, incredibly terrible to get while chaining, or do they start being guaranteed after a while?

I think they might start showing up after the teens, but I'm not too sure on that.

jarbv
Jul 10, 2004

I love petting after each battle.... i... like wiping dirt off pokemon...

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Is there like a reset bag equivalent

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

cheetah7071 posted:

I got a Slush Rush Sandshrew (trade bait) after maybe 8 SOSes. It's a pain in the rear end if the hidden ability you're looking for can't be tested for.

jarbv
Jul 10, 2004

El Burbo posted:

Is there like a reset bag equivalent

bottlecaps

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Zurai posted:

I got a Slush Rush Sandshrew (trade bait) after maybe 8 SOSes. It's a pain in the rear end if the hidden ability you're looking for can't be tested for.

It's easier if you haul around a Porygon to check with Trace.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blaziken386 posted:

my dude, it is a pain to level up a mon from level 1 when everything else is almost level 40
especially with no good grinding spots like the blissey bases of ORAS.

Every minute you spend typing is a minute you aren't grinding away for the perfect poke.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

jarbv posted:

bottlecaps

Aren't these for IVs? I mean something that resets all EVs back to 0 quickly

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

This is great

Also when did they stop naming grunts

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Well, I found another one with a non-crap nature. Bitching on the internet really does work. This one didn't have Shadow Sneak, but I have the TM for Shadow Claw, so it all works out.
Yaaay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blaziken386 posted:

I don't know but all the Mareanie I'm breeding are Limber, which is frustrating. Are they guaranteed to get the ability of their father or something now? I'm breeding a male Limber one with a Ditto.