Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

jarbv posted:

bottlecaps

What do bottlecaps do? I got one but I don't know what it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

I don't know but all the Mareanie I'm breeding are Limber, which is frustrating. Are they guaranteed to get the ability of their father or something now? I'm breeding a male Limber one with a Ditto.

Haha, with ditto males are weighted to give their ability over- to include HA. With females they are weighted to pass theirs over the males.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Clarste posted:

What do bottlecaps do? I got one but I don't know what it does.

They flag the Pokemon's stat as having 31 IVs without actually increasing it. This lets you run any Hidden Power type with perfect spreads.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

They flag the Pokemon's stat as having 31 IVs without actually increasing it. This lets you run any Hidden Power type with perfect spreads.

...So does that change their stats or not?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've been chaining Pichu's in the hopes of getting a shiny so I can get a shiny A-Raichu which is the cutest thing ever... but I've killed several hundred now and I'm starting to feel bad :smith:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Clarste posted:

Their stats change as though they have 31 IVs, but their actual IV number doesn't change.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Your Computer posted:

I've been chaining Pichu's in the hopes of getting a shiny so I can get a shiny A-Raichu which is the cutest thing ever... but I've killed several hundred now and I'm starting to feel bad :smith:
Friend of mine is currently trying for a shiny Bounsweet, and has killed around 150 in one chain.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Clarste posted:

It changes it in terms of battling. It doesn't change it in terms of what the hidden power type is and what stats it passes on when breeding.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Blaziken386 posted:

Friend of mine is currently trying for a shiny Bounsweet, and has killed around 150 in one chain.

It's definitely an... interesting way of "targeting" shinies. I think I like it? At this point I'm gonna run out of PP restoring items though, RIP my chain.

Unrelated question: I haven't actually gotten to the Move Relearner yet, so can someone tell me if he'll let me learn moves that my Pokémon would have learned had I not evolved them? For example, if I evolve a Pichu at level 12 will my Pikachu (or Raichu for that matter) ever be able to learn Nasty Plot?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Your Computer posted:

It's definitely an... interesting way of "targeting" shinies. I think I like it? At this point I'm gonna run out of PP restoring items though, RIP my chain.

Unrelated question: I haven't actually gotten to the Move Relearner yet, so can someone tell me if he'll let me learn moves that my Pokémon would have learned had I not evolved them? For example, if I evolve a Pichu at level 12 will my Pikachu (or Raichu for that matter) ever be able to learn Nasty Plot?

Just grow Leppa berries in Pelago. You can get 6 per plot every 24 hours which adds up quick.

And no, for the Move relearner. They can only learn moves on their levelup list so Pikachu/Raichu cannot learn Nasty Plot. The only change from prior gens is that if a mon learns a move at level 60 and its level 45 the relearner will let you get that move.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

cancerianmoth posted:

Haha, with ditto males are weighted to give their ability over- to include HA. With females they are weighted to pass theirs over the males.

Alright. Well, I may as well keep going anyway until I get a Merciless one, then start breeding that whatever gender it winds up being. Will throw the spare Limber ones out in Wonder Trades, unless anyone wants some of my reject starfish babies.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Zore posted:

It changes it in terms of battling. It doesn't change it in terms of what the hidden power type is and what stats it passes on when breeding.

IVs are not stats, they're IVs. I don't know why this question was apparently so hard to answer.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Roland Jones posted:

Alright. Well, I may as well keep going anyway until I get a Merciless one, then start breeding that whatever gender it winds up being. Will throw the spare Limber ones out in Wonder Trades, unless anyone wants some of my reject starfish babies.
I would like a reject starfish, if only because they're rare as heck and I want to use one on my eventual Moon playthrough

e: FC is 1263-6844-1789, name is Allison

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Clarste posted:

IVs are not stats, they're IVs. I don't know why this question was apparently so hard to answer.

Because you're being super obtuse so let me put it the simplest possible terms. When using Bottle caps to increase IVs The pokemons initial IVs are kept as a snapshot for things like determining Hidden Power Type and Passing on IVs for breeding and then the stats are raised to where they would be if their corresponding IV were 31.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zore posted:

Just grow Leppa berries in Pelago. You can get 6 per plot every 24 hours which adds up quick.

And no, for the Move relearner. They can only learn moves on their levelup list so Pikachu/Raichu cannot learn Nasty Plot. The only change from prior gens is that if a mon learns a move at level 60 and its level 45 the relearner will let you get that move.

Thanks, and thanks :3:

e: another question; do we know yet how much the chaining increases shiny chance if if/when it caps out?

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Nov 23, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Because you're being super obtuse so let me put it the simplest possible terms. When using Bottle caps to increase IVs The pokemons initial IVs are kept as a snapshot for things like determining Hidden Power Type and Passing on IVs for breeding and then the stats are raised to where they would be if their corresponding IV were 31.

I asked a simple question and Fetus answered in the most useless way possible, as if I only cared about breeding and Hidden Power instead of being a casual noob who doesn't know anything about this game and wants to keep using my best friend I captured on route 1 but would like him to have better stats.

The answers were all directed at a min-maxing competitive player, which I am clearly not if I'm asking in the first place. In the meantime I looked it up on google and apparently you can only even do this on level 100 pokemon anyway, which means every single one of you has completely wasted my time by not mentioning this incredibly important fact.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 23, 2016

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Leppa Berries and Recycle on Smeargles, my dudes

it's the way to chain forever

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
If you're a super casual player nothing about stats matters at all and you can use any Pokémon you want for whatever.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

FishBulb posted:

If you're a super casual player nothing about stats matters at all and you can use any Pokémon you want for whatever.

But maybe I'd still want to know what this item in my inventory does?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blaziken386 posted:

I would like a reject starfish, if only because they're rare as heck and I want to use one on my eventual Moon playthrough

e: FC is 1263-6844-1789, name is Allison

Alright, can do. If you happen to have Sun I wouldn't mind any Sun-exclusive thing in exchange, or another thing that's a pain to get, but I don't really mind whatever.

FC is 3952-7007-7220, name is Dane or R. Jones or something. Not 100% sure how trading works in this game yet, mind.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 23, 2016

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

I'm glad I sat in this chair now.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I found a elekid in my random backtracking. Beat it up to 1 hp and it started calling for friends literally every turn to the point I yelled "COME ON" at it in a increasingly frustrated tone.

Then it called in a Chansey and I'm happy again

I had that happen with a Magby that also kept using an accuracy dropping attack

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Roland Jones posted:

Alright, can do. If you happen to have Sun I wouldn't mind any Sun-exclusive thing in exchange, or another thing that's a pain to get, but I don't really mind whatever.

FC is 3952-7007-7220, name is Dane or R. Jones or something. Not 100% sure how trading works in this game yet, mind.
You are in luck, because I happen to have a spare Hidden Ability Vulpix. Gimme a sec to enter in your code and such.
e: are you online, or is the trading system just being dumb?

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 23, 2016

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Hot take: Feraligatr should have been Water/Fighting or Water/Dark

Still my favorite either way.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blaziken386 posted:

You are in luck, because I happen to have a spare Hidden Ability Vulpix. Gimme a sec to enter in your code and such.

Sounds good. Prefer male or female for your Mareanie? I have both at this point. Still no Merciless ones yet sadly, or I'd breed you up one too.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

No look you piece of poo poo karate dude all I need is to just take one step into your stupid canyon so my battery bug can evolve. It'll take 2 seconds

please

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Roland Jones posted:

Sounds good. Prefer male or female for your Mareanie? I have both at this point. Still no Merciless ones yet sadly, or I'd breed you up one too.
Either, I've a ditto.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jarogue posted:

Also when did they stop naming grunts

They never named Grunts

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Clarste posted:

The answers were all directed at a min-maxing competitive player, which I am clearly not if I'm asking in the first place.

dang man are you sure because you sound even more uptight than the uptight battler shitlords

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
everyone here who plays competitive is incredibly chill

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blaziken386 posted:

Either, I've a ditto.

Thanks much. Sorry it took me a while to get online, this was my first time trading. Hope you have better luck getting a Merciless one of these little monsters than I have.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Clarste posted:

I asked a simple question and Fetus answered in the most useless way possible, as if I only cared about breeding and Hidden Power instead of being a casual noob who doesn't know anything about this game and wants to keep using my best friend I captured on route 1 but would like him to have better stats.

The answers were all directed at a min-maxing competitive player, which I am clearly not if I'm asking in the first place. In the meantime I looked it up on google and apparently you can only even do this on level 100 pokemon anyway, which means every single one of you has completely wasted my time by not mentioning this incredibly important fact.

why didn't you do the google first? Could've avoided this whole passive-aggressive mess that was started bc of the lack of a google search.

anywho, caught my first Oranguru. I really need to have someone with thunderwave or sleep powder. it kept calling trumbeaks which got annoying. haha

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

ohmygod sharpedo has inertia when turning and it can break rocks with its face, this is the best thing

Roland Jones posted:

Thanks much. Sorry it took me a while to get online, this was my first time trading. Hope you have better luck getting a Merciless one of these little monsters than I have.
Thanks for the reject starfish! :D

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
Steel types shouldn't be immune to the "acid" strain of poison moves

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is there any way to get a pink Gastrodon in this game? It says they're colored by region so I assume that means we can't get anything other than blue until Poké Bank.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Mazerunner posted:

dang man are you sure because you sound even more uptight than the uptight battler shitlords

I'm just annoyed at Fetus in particular. Everyone else was caught in the crossfire so sorry, but seriously, that was a terrible answer to a simple question.

cancerianmoth posted:

why didn't you do the google first? Could've avoided this whole passive-aggressive mess that was started bc of the lack of a google search.

It came up in the natural flow of conversation.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All arguments in this thread from now on must be settled on the field of Pokemon. No items, License to Kill, Double-Slappers Only.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I wanna meet Guzma already and find out what the real overarching deal is with the skull boys because surely there has to be more than being those darn kids

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Your Computer posted:

Is there any way to get a pink Gastrodon in this game? It says they're colored by region so I assume that means we can't get anything other than blue until Poké Bank.

I have like a rainbow one, and the Pokedex calls it the "East Sea" form. Which implies to me it's regions within Alola, not the international Region.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Clarste posted:

I'm just annoyed at Fetus in particular. Everyone else was caught in the crossfire so sorry, but seriously, that was a terrible answer to a simple question.

i too make multiple angry posts about a vaguely confusing answer instead of researching on my own if i am not satisfied