Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

mich posted:

I explained what my problem is. Asian food doesn't need to be exoticized with props. The food can stand alone by itself without you adding things to the picture to emphasize "HEY LOOK THIS IS ASIAN." It's something that happens with photography of Asian food a lot. Some Asian cultures don't even use chopsticks! Adding utensils to a picture of food can play a role if the purpose is in the composition of the photo. Adding it as a prop to make the food more "authentic" is problematic. Plus, it looks like you squirt sriracha all over a bowl of Chinese noodles, how "authentic" is that?

I know it seems like not a very big deal but it's all part of a bigger picture of "othering" Asian culture.

If you don't realize how prevalent it is, look at the google image search results for "spaghetti":
https://www.google.com/search?biw=1...504.IzGPyeqFaBQ

Now look at pho:
https://www.google.com/search?biw=1...318.zgcvDCEa4Fo

Oh do gently caress off with your sophomoric bollocks. Use the Eastern equivalent of Google image search and the opposite is true.

Spaghetti on Baidu image search:
http://image.baidu.com/search/index...2338754;&rsp=-1

Now Pho:
http://image.baidu.com/search/index...=utf-8&word=pho

I'm so offended at these Easterners "othering" my Italian culture. :jerkbag:

E: wonderful irony that the first link doesn't work because spaghetti in simplified chinese cannot be parsed by vBulletin. lmbo.

Theophany fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
White fragility is really cool.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Ah but what happens if we use google.hk

https://www.google.com.hk/search?q=Spaghetti&biw=1280&bih=918&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiNw8yZ2brQAhVDFywKHeyQD70Q_AUIBigB

https://www.google.com.hk/search?bi...0.0.GiAshhP6D_A

interesting

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

mich posted:

White fragility is really cool.

Dispute the rebuttal or gently caress off. This isn't a community college quad.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
When an Asian person tells you how to not plate your food like a racist maybe you ought to listen.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
please gently caress off with this stupid discussion and instead post pics of good lookin food, with eating utensils or not

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Theophany, you came in saying "gently caress off" right off the bat, I did not see your reply as an invitation to have a serious discussion.

I will not gently caress off pointing out how ridiculous it is to photograph Asian food with chopsticks merely to add to its "authenticity."

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
how does it feel to be triggered by a picture of noodles

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I roll my eyes and think "man, white people."

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Aery posted:

Your bowl is as a gross as you are. I hope you find that to be helpful.

By all means, tell me how you clean a bowl at the same time you're already eating out of it. :allears:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Theophany posted:

Dispute the rebuttal or gently caress off. This isn't a community college quad.

It isn't D&D either.

Moundgarden posted:

:laffo:

mich
Feb 28, 2003

I mean, you can see the sauce smears on the side of the bowl in this pic too, but please, let's worry about the chopsticks for the presentation.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Let's de-escalate here

Put chopsticks in your photo or don't. Other people on google image search and baidu put chopsticks and forks and spoons in their picture and it's no big deal. Just don't make the mistake of thinking it makes your food more authentic, because it's not like the chopsticks are food.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

How will you know if you're eating kosher food without some jewish gold in the photo?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Whenever I make and take pictures of authentic Italian cuisine I make sure to have my amiibo of Mario prominently featured in the shot as well

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Do not accept chinese take out in those paper boxes they are problematic and othering

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

How will you know if you're eating kosher food without some jewish gold in the photo?

Holy poo poo

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

AnonSpore posted:

Whenever I make and take pictures of authentic Italian cuisine I make sure to have my amiibo of Mario prominently featured in the shot as well

i gently caress it all up because i'm swedish

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
I made stuffed cabbage! This isn't my first time making the dish, but it IS the first time 90% of the leaves didn't get ripped to hell!

I accidentally simmered it on too high a heat so a regrettable amount of the sauce ended up burned on the bottom of the pot. The cabbage rolls themselves escaped unscathed, thank god.

(Sorry about the filthy presentation. They were so delicious I forgot to take a picture until they were almost all eaten)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

dijon du jour posted:

I made stuffed cabbage! This isn't my first time making the dish, but it IS the first time 90% of the leaves didn't get ripped to hell!

I accidentally simmered it on too high a heat so a regrettable amount of the sauce ended up burned on the bottom of the pot. The cabbage rolls themselves escaped unscathed, thank god.

(Sorry about the filthy presentation. They were so delicious I forgot to take a picture until they were almost all eaten)

Nice fork in the shot you racist bastard

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

dijon du jour posted:

Looks good

re: sauce, chop up some leftover cabbage and throw it on the bottom of your pot

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Moundgarden posted:

E: might as well post a pic of food I guess

Short ribs. They came out gross. Most of the stuff I sous vide comes out gross.

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 22, 2016

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
Just doing my part ... Venison chops with fried sage, broccolini and saffron risotto:

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done
Finally tried shakshuka, will be making it a lot more. Thanks goons!

(Had leftover yolks from making meringue)

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Jose posted:

Is that banana or some type of eel on that pizza?

Oh god the image link says banana what the gently caress

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

It's barely cooking but I converted my bounty of Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate chillis into some tasty death powder to liven up some meals...

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Also tried making oysters kilpatrick for the first time; I didn't have any rock salt to balance them on so had to make do. I'm not a oyster fan, but everyone else enjoyed them :)

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Birthday dinner! Sirloin steak with garlic sauce and garlic chips on top, mac & cheese with broccoli and carrots (one of those steam-in bag microwave deals), BBQ corn (also steam-in bag), and waffle fries (unseasoned, so I sprinkled salt and pepper on them after they were finished). The steak came out great.

I got the recipe from Cooking With Dog (RIP Francis), and it's pretty easy to make. It didn't hurt that I had a friend who came over and helped me prep, but it's more than doable on your own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyK0cGIzG7c

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Jose posted:

By the look of it I would've thought Norwegian. :|

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the title suggests its swedish but its just something i found on google and having been to sweden i've seen banana on pizza myself

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Made a big bowl of red beans and rice with andouille on top.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

looks perfect

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Doom Rooster posted:

i think i'm in love with you

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Doom Rooster posted:

Racist.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Charmmi posted:

When an Asian person tells you how to not plate your food like a racist maybe you ought to listen.

Today I learned that you can "plate your food like a racist.", thanks thread.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Made apple cinnamon muffins tonight. Used Fuji apples, of course.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Doom Rooster posted:

Congratulations on upping the insensitivity by making your food into an offering to the dead.

That looks great, I'm going to have to make a mess of Cajun food after Thanksgiving. The crystal is an appropriate prop.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
A lot of things are racist when you think about it, which people often don't. Band-Aids, for example.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Found "Chinese Turnip Cake" in the fridge of my local ethnic store and baked it "Singapore style" (at least, that's what my favorite dimsum restaurant calls it)...I guess the proper name is Chai Tow Kway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

So racist.

• Locked thread