Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
The only one that's really hidden is the electric boss. They noticed the ice elemental wall but didn't manage to figure out how to break it, and they never noticed the ledge leading to the fire elemental because Liam immediately jumped down in that room; it's otherwise denoted by a conspicuously placed high potion in plain sight. To their merit though they did manage to find the Forgotten One on their own which was probably the most well hidden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Cause Woolie can be a big baby sometimes (as we all can be) and has said on record that if someone he doesn't closely know calls him out on being wrong or messing up his first instinct is to double down rally hard.

Nerds do that a lot and it's always awful for everyone involved

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The best part of that Omikron Meltdown is Matt's dogged insistence to just keep playing and reading text off the game while Pat and Woolie threaten to destroy one another over a game guide and failure to disclose information.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

Nerds do that a lot and it's always awful for everyone involved

Most people do that a lot

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Andrast posted:

Most people do that a lot

and it's always awful for everyone involved

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Matt is a treasure

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Angry_Ed posted:

The best part of that Omikron Meltdown is Matt's dogged insistence to just keep playing and reading text off the game while Pat and Woolie threaten to destroy one another over a game guide and failure to disclose information.

"loving told you."
"YOU DIDN'T TELL ANYTHING! SHUT THE gently caress UP"
"I TOLD YOU!"
"NO! You didn't tell poo poo!"
"Look there's someone dead on the floor! :) "
"Look i told you to just ah!"
"Obviously that was the next step and i was gonna say!!"
"AHAHAHA!"
"Look i jumped :)"
"incomprehensible arguing by Pat and Woolie"
"Look guys, look, i'm jumping"

historic

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Matt promised on twitter that the next video will be his turn to shout, so look forward to that.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fba1jKIwfo8

Matt is the best. :allears:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

the existential dread really sets in when matt is out

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
So, out of sheer curiosity I decided to check out how fast someone can beat MMX Command Mission. Just wanted to see how slow Woolie and Liam REALLY are compared to someone that knows what they're doing.

The WR for any% (with glitches, apparently) is 2:32. Apparently you can do poo poo real fast when you know where you're going and blitz thru dialog and cutscenes.

Oh my God there's an egregious dupe glitch.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

So wait, is their office just another apartment?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So, I know that obviously not everyone has access to an entire subforum dedicated to what a scam Star Citizen is, but the podcast today where they treat CIG's Transparency vow as a cool and good thing really underscores just how bad the gaming press is at confronting this bullshit while continuing to kick No Man's Sky's corpse. At least No Man's Sky doesn't keep asking for money on JPEGs of ships that aren't even in the game. poo poo.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
What is it about space games in particular that drives people insane?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Could I get a paragraph on how much of a scam Star Citizen is? I'm vaguely interested.

Neo_Crimson posted:

So wait, is their office just another apartment?

Seems like it. I think they mentioned a shower in a podcast or video.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
It seems like it would be really easy, because it's just a lot of empty space and a few neat things in it, so they budget low. Then it turns out to be really hard, because it's just empty space and that's lame so they have to add lots of everything to make it good and whups, what happened to our money and our schedule, ship it now.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

What is it about space games in particular that drives people insane?

There are very few modern good ones and the genre has an old and small-but-dedicated fanbase.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Could I get a paragraph on how much of a scam Star Citizen is? I'm vaguely interested.

Seems like it. I think they mentioned a shower in a podcast or video.

There basically isn't a game yet but the company is still happy to take thousands of real life dollars in exchange for hypothetical spaceships. That's it. It's not some complicated conspiracy or anything.

There's probably never going to be a completed game.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

We're gonna make a space game. It's gonna be as good as the wing commander and privateer in your mind are, but it'll be even better than the idealized versions of those games that live only in the rosy memories of your adolescence, and you'll never ever need another game again.

And if you pay us ten thousand dollars now, you'll get a spaceship that no one else can get that is beautiful and wonderful and comes with gameplay mechanics only YOU can play with, and if you ever get tired of it because we'll never make more of them you can sell it on ebay and make your money back once the game goes live.

You are a beautiful child and space will love you if you give it enough money.

Here is a picture of the space ship you will get, it is maybe not the best fighter but it is a super special science ship, it comes with a crafting minigame that lets you make science medicine or something, we're working on that but it'll be way cool.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Mystic Mongol posted:

It seems like it would be really easy, because it's just a lot of empty space and a few neat things in it, so they budget low. Then it turns out to be really hard, because it's just empty space and that's lame so they have to add lots of everything to make it good and whups, what happened to our money and our schedule, ship it now.

For a second I thought this was about the cons of renting an office floor instead of a small apartment for their content-creating needs.

There basically isn't a game yet but the company is still happy to take thousands of real life dollars in exchange for hypothetical spaceships. That's it. It's not some complicated conspiracy or anything.

There's probably never going to be a completed game.

Huh, just straight up nothing? like, after the four(?) years since the kickstarter they don't have any gameplay videos or anything. Dang.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Angry_Ed posted:

So, I know that obviously not everyone has access to an entire subforum dedicated to what a scam Star Citizen is, but the podcast today where they treat CIG's Transparency vow as a cool and good thing really underscores just how bad the gaming press is at confronting this bullshit while continuing to kick No Man's Sky's corpse. At least No Man's Sky doesn't keep asking for money on JPEGs of ships that aren't even in the game. poo poo.

The gaming "press" is a goddamn joke.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

For a second I thought this was about the cons of renting an office floor instead of a small apartment for their content-creating needs.

Huh, just straight up nothing? like, after the four(?) years since the kickstarter they don't have any gameplay videos or anything. Dang.

Nah, there's some busted as gently caress multiplayer stuff but no actual mmo or anything even approaching alpha-stage development

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nah, there's some busted as gently caress multiplayer stuff but no actual mmo or anything even approaching alpha-stage development

You can also walk in a hangar and look at your $1000 spaceship (if it has been modeled).

Money well spent

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

There are very few modern good ones and the genre has an old and small-but-dedicated fanbase.

Sure but the genre is full of scams and pie-in-the-sky horseshit stretching back decades; why does it persist and why do diehards keep buying into it when they should be the most skeptical of anyone?

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

"loving told you."
"YOU DIDN'T TELL ANYTHING! SHUT THE gently caress UP"
"I TOLD YOU!"
"NO! You didn't tell poo poo!"
"Look there's someone dead on the floor! :) "
"Look i told you to just ah!"
"Obviously that was the next step and i was gonna say!!"
"AHAHAHA!"
"Look i jumped :)"
"incomprehensible arguing by Pat and Woolie"
"Look guys, look, i'm jumping"

historic
The comparisons between this part and a child in the middle of his parents fighting are loving dead on man.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CuddlyZombie posted:

You're missing my point, which is fine cause I phrased it badly. I know the gaming press is a joke, as do they. So I would hope that they wouldn't just parrot the story, and feel like a game that has been constantly taking money from users and producing nothing near what they said they would, would not be worth the benefit of the doubt on a "totally we'll be transparent you guys" message. But obviously it's not in their wheelhouse, even though they keep speculating on what the first major Kickstarter failure will be (hint, it'll probably be Star Citizen). The way they talked about it, it made it seem like this was just typical delays and not a very obfuscated development cycle and people buying ships that legitimately haven't even been modeled into the game...a game which barely works if it even runs.

Again I'm putting too much on them to know about all this, just because I've read enough to know what a shitshow Star Citizen is, so I know i'm overreacting a bit

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Nov 23, 2016

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Star Citizen "fans" have already shown themselves to be 10 times as volatile as NMS. They basically snap at the most minor of criticisms, and their breeding grounds like SC forums and Neogaf only help reinforce that mentality.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

HGH posted:

Star Citizen "fans" have already shown themselves to be 10 times as volatile as NMS. They basically snap at the most minor of criticisms, and their breeding grounds like SC forums and Neogaf only help reinforce that mentality.

Honestly, the insane vitriol going around in the SC subforum is just the opposite end of this spectrum. It's schadenfreude towards a company's hubris taken to its absolute cackling-mad extreme, and taking part in it is a bigger embarrassment than giving any amount of money to Chris Roberts. See also the "Xbox One Thread for Retards" at its worst points.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Star Citizen has this weird defense/denial squad that kinda obfuscate how much of a mess it really is, especially since it's such a niche title. I think unless you dig for the dirt you just kinda assume it was a bad KS release that pissed off some people, so I can understand whatever this Transparency thing is being interpreted as a step in the right direction. Also NMS is just the newer, fresher dogpile with more crowd appeal.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
When they've been talking about Dr strange the last few weeks, they mention something about it tying into the next marvel movie, what do they mean? I missed a little of the stinger at the end so I guess I missed what they are talking about?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

CuddlyZombie posted:

In a twist of Irony, could the Alt-Right wreak havoc on the poo poo gaming press?

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Dias posted:

Star Citizen has this weird defense/denial squad

Who for some reason took it upon themselves to actively poo poo up Elite: Dangerous threads by stating that a game which exists mostly as a shared hallucination was better/less boring than a game which had already been released.

Insta e: Not sure if that happened on any SA threads, I wasn't a member here when E:D first came out. They flocked to Reddit and the chans in droves, though.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

When they've been talking about Dr strange the last few weeks, they mention something about it tying into the next marvel movie, what do they mean? I missed a little of the stinger at the end so I guess I missed what they are talking about?

I assume they're talking about Thor.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

hoobajoo posted:

I assume they're talking about Thor.
oh, boo. :(

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

There's videos. Videos of a physics engine that's loving busted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z-W0IRXvF4

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.

DumbparameciuM posted:

exists mostly as a shared hallucination

Speaking of which, remember when the boys were excited for Kaiju Kombat? :)

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You know what I hate about Hisako? Her intro sting noise is so loud you can't her Japanese line read. It's like this before each battle and it's annoying every time.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Justice Sloth posted:

Don't even get me started on that loving train wreck Jesus Christ.

I wasn't there for the ground floor but god drat if I didn't get a good look at the downfall.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Justice Sloth posted:

What a loving shitshow. Have they produced anything besides concept art yet?

There was also that Neil Stephenson sword game that never produced anything. And that Yogscast game. And that Homestuck game (though that one seems like it might actually produce something). And a bunch of other low profile failures. I'm legitimately surprised there hasn't been a high profile kickstarter lawsuit yet.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

What a loving shitshow. Have they produced anything besides concept art yet?

There was also that Neil Stephenson sword game that never produced anything. And that Yogscast game. And that Homestuck game (though that one seems like it might actually produce something). And a bunch of other low profile failures. I'm legitimately surprised there hasn't been a high profile kickstarter lawsuit yet.

I should be up front before posting this- I joined the CKC community a little after the kickstarter was a success. I was made aware of it due to that success and had a giant monster thing I was, and am, working on and decided, gently caress It, why not see what the reception is here this could be neat. I am one of the very 'lucky' few that actually won that bit of bullshit lottery, as my giant monster OC do not steal got a card, an Evolution Card, and Progenitorship. More on that below.

Game wise? They made an alpha build of the supposed to be free Kaiju Land Battles and sold it for 5 dollars and then stopped updating it because one of the people working on it died and the main guy behind it said they couldn't hire anyone else and suspended basically everything but said it was still going to happen and mostly just have a livestream every couple of months to talk about the project without touching on how to actually fix anything.

Card game wise, he kept trying to make a battle system that would invalidate older cards that no one really wanted to use outside of a few people, but more importantly refused to actually market the cards anywhere other than the forums itself. Like, literally refused offers to have it get promoted on Amazon or Ebay or anywhere. Just keeping it to the online store of the website and that was that because that's the best idea, sell the only thing that makes any kind of money to the dwindling user group that is growing more and more discontented. The card art is really good in a very retro style, though the EVO cards were often hit or miss. I'm pretty satisfied with the two of mine, but I'm also extremely lucky in that regard, as often times the card designs would just go whatever direction he felt like, including the bio information. Some times it'd be for the best, but often it'd be inexplicable and really ugly.

As for anything else- some figurines that never got promoted anywhere but the website, and the thing I was most heavily involved in, the comic book series that only got 1 issue. https://www.dropbox.com/s/3xnvef1cc5k3ojd/Issue_01_ads_ipad.pdf?dl=0 Which you can grab for free here! I wrote it!

If anyone wants to hear the story on that mess I'd love to share. That was a fun time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

And that Homestuck game (though that one seems like it might actually produce something).

If it's the one I'm thinking of, at least that one has a better reason in that the King's Quest '15 guys robbed them blind.