Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

orcinus posted:

See, if you take a piece of paper, and cover him from the neck down, he suddenly becomes completely realistic and lifelike! Try it!

Works for Chris too, you just need a bigger piece of paper.......

and cover the head too.

e: bunnee anatomy lesson time

ripptide fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Nov 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Fat Shat Sings posted:

FAU is painfully unfunny and makes terrible mod decisions, but he accidentally did something good this time.

things like Star Citizen become exponentially less funny when people want to make it about themselves. This is the largest train crash in gaming history and will probably lead to literal suicides. It's a thing to watch. Star Citizen itself is the point. It isn't about any one person.

That and silencing leaks was bullshit. Derek has clustered a bunch of sources of information and suppressed them so he is in charge of them.

So not only was he trying to make this entire thing about him, he was also strangling the actual comedy out of it at the same time.

People talk to me though and all of those "Two Weeks" and "The ELE is in full swing" posts were usually about someone telling derek about actual federal agents being involved, actual lawsuits being filed, something a senior dev at CIG said or did or was going to do. I'd have rather just heard that poo poo in the first place instead of getting it through an insane middleman who is only interested in himself and never divulges what he was actually told, just drops hints that he knows things.

Hell just from seeing him swoop down on anyone that actually had anything relevant to say over the past year i've learned a ton of poo poo that never made it into the thread because it was usually someone coming on the discord and having 5 minutes to actually say something to prove they knew inside information before Derek arrived, publicly scolded them and then six months later that person has said nothing else at all about CIG.

Hi everyone, hope youre all having a light hearted, emotionally balanced day. Just a quick reminder to call or visit your parents and relatives wherever possible, they love and care about you

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Hello! My name is Chris and I’m abandoning our normal write-in-the-third-person format for this special news update. Plus, I think it’s unfair to put “we” on this occasion as it’s pretty much all on me.

Yesterday, I that we were getting a fair few views from Reddit. I found that a particular subreddit had linked to the site to dispel the ridiculous image that Derek “Smart” had posted to Twitter. If you’re wondering who Derek “Smart” is then you’re not alone. He was a game maker back in the 90’s, but since he failed to deliver on promises to customers and then got jealous when he saw the guys making Star Citizen were doing well for themselves, he’s kinda just become some little spasm that resides on the internet.

Point is, he posted a photoshopped image of our site to push his “I hate Star Citizen” agenda. As the owner of the site I was naturally pretty pissed off. I wrote about it here. I referred to what had happened as “digital rape” – and I stand by that. Since Derek “Smart” doesn’t have a smart thing to say, he deflected the fact he had posted this harmful image (which he calls a meme…) to thousands of people by honing in on the words “digital rape.”

Now, I’m sorry if that offends anyone but that’s not what “digital rape” is about. The word rape doesn’t exclusively refer to sexual rape. I’ll refer to https://www.dictionary.com:

“an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation:

the rape of the countryside.”
So, my site was raped. Somebody took what was mine and violated it. It’s as simple as that. If you read that and still have a problem, well, that’s not my problem.

It’s been a fun back-and-forth with the man and his hardcore group (maybe five or six cronies? The rest were just really focussed on the word “rape”) but it’s time to get back to normal operations.

Since the original incident, Derek “Smart” has since tweeted another photoshopped picture of the site. I won’t bother linking it here because it is the height of pathetic. The man is a sad shell of a human that failed in his endeavors and he now spends his days trawling twitter, abusing anyone who doesn’t agree with the narrative he has created. It’s sad, really, to see a man who obviously has some sort of intellect in his head poo poo it all away by writing “I HATE STAR CITIZEN” all over his website.

My advice to anyone who comes across this vile little man is to simply block him and forget he existed. It’s not hard; when I woke up this morning I’d completely forgotten who he was until he started badgering me over Twitter. Now that I’ve blocked him – and good riddance, eh? – I imagine I’ll wake up tomorrow and not remember who he is, and thankfully he won’t be there to remind me.

If you’re reading this, Derek, do us all a favour – gently caress off.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

I.N.R.I posted:

Hi everyone, hope youre all having a light hearted, emotionally balanced day. Just a quick reminder to call or visit your parents and relatives wherever possible, they love and care about you
I hired a medium again today, my mother told me to gently caress off and let her rest in peace already.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

This is what happens when someone who's never seen it hears "Top Gear isn't about the cars" and takes it literally. Where are the shots of the ships with the voiceover?

And the camera wobble and rapid cuts is the exact opposite of what TG/GT do.

CIG is probably safe from Amazon based solely on the fact that it's so much worse than the real thing that there will never be any confusion.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Variable 5 posted:

This is what happens when someone who's never seen it hears "Top Gear isn't about the cars" and takes it literally. Where are the shots of the ships with the voiceover?

And the camera wobble and rapid cuts is the exact opposite of what TG/GT do.

holy crap I just realised Grand Tour is the initials reversed! mind blown

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Star Citizen's development is different from No Man's Sky in a very fundamental way, because the devs have always been very clear about what will be in the final game when it comes to features and scope. If something won't be done, if something is not planned, they will say so. If they don't know if a particular feature will make it in, they will say so.
If things change, they will tell us. When the game was first crowdfunded, there were no plans to do full planet maps on release. Planets would just be town landing zones. There would not be ground exploration. The game would basically be space-only. When they got more crowdfunding, they said they would look at maybe having procedural planets. And now... well, now things have changed. Now we are getting full-sized planets that you can land and walk around on. Check out the recent Homestead video, and keep in mind, when watching, that the devs initially told us in extremely firm language that this would NOT be possible to do.

Until they managed to do it. And then they let us know. The devs are very transparent when it comes to features and what will or won't be in the game.

The chief problem people have with Star Citizen is release dates and delays. This has always been an issue. We were expecting the first part of the single player story campaign to be released this year. It's now
very clear this won't happen - but the official website still says '2016'. For the Persistent Universe alpha and other modules, the big patches and new feature rollouts tend to be delayed as well.
A lot of people don't like how long the game development has taken. Some are upset about it. If you're going to be skeptical about Star Citizen, this is the biggest reason why.

However, others are of the view that... well, this is a massive undertaking and a ridiculously complex game they're building here. This stuff takes time. They've been very up front about exactly why it's complex, and very detailed about the new technological advances they've made in creating the game. They're doing some amazing stuff here if you've got any understanding of programming... I don't, not really, but from what little I grasp, it's mindblowing.

No Man's Sky devs were probably way to ambitious in their promises - and never delivered. You have to remember that No Man's Sky just talked about features, features, features, they never gave much in-depth discussion about the tech and development behind those features. It's no surprise, in retrospect, that those features ended up not actually existing. For Star Citizen, a lot of us have reasonable expectations that they will deliver...eventually. Because they HAVE shown us a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff, or talked at length about how they'll achieve X, Y, or Z.

For Star Citizen, the issue is more that the devs have historically been too optimistic in estimating how long it will take for them to do a certain thing. A frequent comment from backers is that, in all honesty, the game's initial release estimates were just horribly unrealistic, considering how long it takes for any other studio to develop a typical AAA game.

But this is merely a timeline problem. Thus far, the developers have delivered on what they've promised, or have shown us extensive video proving that on their internal builds, a certain function or feature is a real thing, it just hasn't been released to us yet. It's not like No Man's Sky where a lot of the demo stuff... quite clearly, in retrospect, didn't ACTUALLY exist and was just mocked up for show.

With all that said... as other people here have pointed out... the stuff that exists for Star Citizen at the moment is still fairly thin. What we have is... not so much a game, but a framework on which the game is being built. It may still be wiser to hold off on spending your money for the moment. The next big milestones we're expecting may give you a better indication of whether to put your faith in this, e.g. the 3.0 patch with actual planets. We're in 2.5 now, 2.6 is next and then 3.0. Multiple star systems are only coming in 4.0, however, and there is no firm date on that although there is a roadmap of planned version releases from now til 4.0.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

I.N.R.I posted:

My mom hopes beets probates you.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Remember this one?

Ghostlight posted:

Instead of the usual caughtup.gif though, I will give you this one that I found while researching an idea. I have no idea where it originally comes from, the giphy page just came up as a search result.

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Just want to point out that multiple times in multiple places people were saying whatever they wanted, and in each case Derek jumped in and they stopped, completely. It's happened a bunch of times.

Yeah you can totally argue that people are adults and nobody can tell them what to do, but leaking a bunch of good information and then obviously stopping when Derek publicly demanded they speak with him is pretty obvious.

Bootcha left when :fuzzknot: ate a week probation. He was sharing poo poo right up till that point and probably weeks/months after making contact with Derek.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

What is wrong with you? This is about me and I'm not reading that.

It's good advice and I'd already been doing half of what they suggest re: the thread

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

Fargin Icehole posted:

Why won't he just come back? So what if he got banned and lost his modding powers because he broke the rules and outed a 35 year old guy pretending to be a 14 year old naive nympho.

We already made fun of him before he got banned, what's the problem now?
It's the fact that he feels the ban was unjustified. It was WRONG, and he'll at the very least wait out hist time out before coming back, because to pay back in would be like saying FAU was right. He'd probably rather burn alive.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5eapux/the_amount_of_multi_crew_ships_bought_vs_amount/?limit=500

It's been a while since I've seen a thread full of delusional dreams about how the game will work.

There's still a lot of citizens believing that multicrew will work. Whereas in any MMO, you almost never group up with strangers. WoW implemented matchmaking for their structured group content (raids, dungeons) in order to allow the average player to ever player the content. That you will advertise in chat for ship crew, and people will be chomping at the bit to join and stare at a shields management control panel for hours is insane. And even if you get a group and no one has to leave unexpectedly, you can bet that it will end up like a game of Spaceteam. Shouting a bunch of commands to each other and loving things up.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

SelenicMartian posted:

Remember this one?
I 'member.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

TheAgent posted:

I keep my manscaping up to date, thank u v much

I don't have to, Enrique handles it for me. Or would if I wasn't such a plebe...

SAMIZDATA FOR YOUR IDIOT KING!

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Ghostlight posted:

I 'member.

'ee 'u 'n 'e 'verse!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Titanic posted:

I'd like to suggest a boycott of the Something Awful people from ever playing Star Citizen because they do not deserve the treat of playing BDSSE.

In order to achieve this goal, all the angst filled lurkers need to sign your email address in the file I will be attaching to this post. If we get enough responses, we will poo poo down the angst, angry anarchy!

Come on reddit, you can do this once and for all! Tell all your Star Citizen friends about this great opportunity! The more you spent the more your vote counts (so he sure to include your total spending amounts, including gifted items because those count too :) )!

Attachment:
code:
EmailAddressesToSellToHighestBiddingKickstarter.xls

I mean, we've talked, and I have seen your nudes, but I don't feel I really KNOW you, and I don't open macro-compatible files from people I don't know. Google Docs it maybe?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

BYOB K posted:

MP is the IK we deserve.

So wrong, so very VERY wrong. Try maybe more than 3 posts since February before you are one of "we", okay? Cheers.

Anyone knows there is only one REAL person for Idiot King... Oh, what? Me? So flattered you would think so.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

lazorexplosion posted:

FAU made all the right decisions for the for the Star Citizen Thread; stamping down on doxxing-esque bullshit, being generous and giving Derek a regular ban instead of a perma so he can come back but he has to swallow his pride, putting cool people in charge and listening and not forcing that IK on us. All good things.

Also probate Marching Powder every time he whines about moderation because take that stupid bullshit to QCS and lol wait they don't give a poo poo about it there either so stop being a whiny baby Marching Powder and post something else you'll stop eating the probations that you richly deserve.

Yeah, why g0m when there's a better IK RIGHT IN FREAKING FRONT OF YOU?!

<types in a different rhythm>

Yeah, why g0m? I hear that Samiz chap would be best for YOUR IDIOT KING!

EDIT:
This message brought to you by the Samizdata to coronate Samizdata.

Hi, I am Samizdata and I approve this message.

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Nov 23, 2016

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

BinaryDoubts posted:

Maybe the saddest thing about this game is that you can really tell Chris Roberts knows it needs to be better, but lacks the talent or leadership to make it happen. Like, he knows what good sci-fi looks like (which is why he shamelessly rips it off), he knows what good games look like (which is why COD and BF1 are constantly mentioned as comparisons), but he just doesn't have it in him to produce something genuinely good on its own merits. No matter how hard he tries to micromanage his team, they never produce something that's up to his standards, because it all ultimately came from him. Star Citizen is the story of one man trapped in a mocap hell of his own creation, treading water by fleecing nerds, and forever attempting to make his lovely ideas good.

The more you tighten your micromanagement Croberts, the more star citizens will slip through your fingers.

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

The Titanic posted:

Marching Powder is a smart, discerning poster. He does not want poo poo, but instead wants facts and realities. He's grown jaded and bored of the same stream of piss people need to drink from to get by. He wants posts to nail something or somebody down and then move on, or stop until the next genuinely interesting thing happens.

The majority of posters though don't mind rehashing the same tired tropes, the same Sandi-devil, Ben-fat, Chris-incompetent, CIG-broken comments over and over. When a new anything happens, or some idiot in Reddit says something funny, we can have a good several posts about it. Marching Powder doesn't care.

When a new backer appears, Marching Powder groans in disgust because he knows he's going to see at least 5 pages of financial assistance posts, to somebody he knows already isn't going to listen. He just wants to cut out everything between A-Z so it's just AZ (sorry if you're in Arizona, not trying to doxx anybody!).

Marching Powder is sick of your poo poo, and the dogs, and the unrelated content and bunnies. He wants the straight Star Citizen poo poo, and if there is none, just shut up and say nothing so he doesn't need to wade through 10 pages of dumb poo poo to find that Chris Roberts said something stupid on stream; which is genuine news he wants to see ASAP, without the derailment.

Unfortunately though, the thread here has grown into an SA "community". Regulars talk smack and derailment happens. It's just how it goes. Maybe Marching Powder can start a new thread he can control, like "Star Citizen: Straight Dope, gently caress your derails".

Of course, everybody would descend into it and post recipes and bunnies and dogs. :3:

I think the answer is simple: Only post about what is relevant and don't talk about things that don't interest you. Sort of like browsing a catalog. Skip over the slippers and robes and get to the shoes and boots (unless slippers and robes is what you are after, then reverse it!).

But ultimately, stop being an rear end to the mods. It's a bit silly, and trying to victimize yourself is exactly the opposite of the intelligent and discerning poster you want to be.

Feel the calm, smile, know that being chill is easy, and just come for what you want without trying to push over the new institution. :shobon:

Reading this post is going to give him an aneurysm.

His resentment and needling can be funny. This thread is six thousand pages and the fact that he keeps doing what he's doing is dedication and reacting defensively makes you more fun to heckle.

IMO he should be heckling FAU because dude is reddit as gently caress as I mentioned previously and

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Titanic posted:

At some point he may. :)

It may be because he wants to further fuel his cause with "my goons", etc. Even if we didn't have an opportunity to screen what he wrote and posted, in blogs and on Twitter, he used the goon arm a lot, and flexed that muscle even if nobody here had a clue or agreed with whatever it was.

I don't think anybody cared though, except a few wanting credit for their art or shops he pulled in. He might come back sooner rather than later, if for nothing else than to continue his association with goons. "My goons" sounds better than "my Derek forum members" after all. :)

Although he still has that Discord thing too, I'm pretty sure that's outside of the SA zone and likely has more excitement than here. One of these days I should figure out how to do it, but I don't know if I can from a phone or tablet. I'm rarely on an actual PC at all. :shrug:

Actually, it is not that more exciting (other than Frogbear), but you can go here ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.discord&hl=en ) if you like apps, or just rock Discord browser style here ( https://discordapp.com/ ). Since yau didn't ention what model of phone or tablet you has, I went ahead and guessed Android. There, does that help?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

ArfJason posted:

I think its a bad idea to doxx people and send them death threats, write there names on walls, and throw objects at theire windows. You should stop doing that.

loving dogs is cool and good though.

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

BinaryDoubts posted:

Maybe the saddest thing about this game is that you can really tell Chris Roberts knows it needs to be better, but lacks the talent or leadership to make it happen. Like, he knows what good sci-fi looks like (which is why he shamelessly rips it off), he knows what good games look like (which is why COD and BF1 are constantly mentioned as comparisons), but he just doesn't have it in him to produce something genuinely good on its own merits. No matter how hard he tries to micromanage his team, they never produce something that's up to his standards, because it all ultimately came from him. Star Citizen is the story of one man trapped in a mocap hell of his own creation, treading water by fleecing nerds, and forever attempting to make his lovely ideas good.

This is the sweetest schadenfreude plum. Agent has said Chris is terrified of being laughed at and I believe it.

I think it was Gorf or Beer that theorized his obsession with fidelity is out of a hideous fear that he will fail again and be a complete joke and laughing stock. He doesn't have the skills to go from fantasy of success to the real kind. You know the kind where you aren't scamming hosed up lonely nerds with $3000 dreams

But he can't fail this time, everything has to be the loving BEST with the MOST GOD drat POLYGONS and beat CoD, Battlefield, GTA and Elite all in the same game. You know that idea his engineers said he couldn't do? He loving did it. Maybe Rockstar can keep up with them. JUST DO IT!!

If he slips up for a split second and his belief in this as a billion dollar IP falls apart maybe that suicide prevention jpeg won't only be for the backers.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
When this game comes out we have quantum computers so everything will run fine.

That must be his idea also.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

The reason they went with a Clarkson ripoff is that his fans are also willing to overlook a lot of poo poo just so their Idol can do his thing.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Star Citizen : Not everything is a zero sum.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Sandweed posted:

The reason they went with a Clarkson ripoff is that his fans are also willing to overlook a lot of poo poo just so their Idol can do his thing.

They only thing they did wrong was half assing it and not allowing players to actually go to this "virtual event" in game. Sales would've skyrocketed. But I guess not within the realm of possibility that CIG can come up with something as creative as that.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

I.N.R.I posted:

Never change :3:

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

Samizdata posted:

Yeah, why g0m when there's a better IK RIGHT IN FREAKING FRONT OF YOU?!

<types in a different rhythm>

Yeah, why g0m? I hear that Samiz chap would be best for YOUR IDIOT KING!

EDIT:
This message brought to you by the Samizdata to coronate Samizdata.

Hi, I am Samizdata and I approve this message.

Make everyone itt except Samizdata Idiot King imo

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

The bottom has fallen out of the grey market and ships are being sold with discounts, but moma is still making a profit selling them. Sure buddy.

This only makes sense if you're toast and get the jpegs for free.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

ManofManyAliases posted:

Sources, Backed down? For fucks sake, it's all made up. Derek POSSIBLY had one low-level guy who leaked some bullshit two years ago, but CIG found out and fired him (and two others connected). Outside of that, it's all a bunch of made up drivel by a failed game dev who tries ever so desperately to remain relevant and in the spotlight. And for what? The dude is in his 50s; he should loving finish already and live his life free and clear of this mess or anything related to space sims altogether. Who the gently caress cares when CIG will deliver a game? People who look at it as a failure won't buy-in and will move on. Others will buy and will either learn a lesson or get lucky. None of that should matter to someone like Derek Smart Phd (non accredited), with the knowledge to create massive and complex MMOs. The only reason why I think you guys tolerated him for 6000 pages was to trawl him this far for your entertainment. Poor sap never understood . . .

Who gave Derek's wife an account?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Orions Lord posted:

When this game comes out we have quantum computers so everything will run fine.

That must be his idea also.

Sorry, but even a quantum mainframe won't beat 15 - 20 FPS on CIGware. And I am being kind there.

EDIT:My lack of proofreading would most certainly not mean that SAMIZDATA is not YOUR best choice for IDIOT KING!

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Nov 23, 2016

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Honestly, I think Marching Powder works fine as is. The lack of mod or IK status is what completes his charm.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
free marching powder

first ban him

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

no_recall posted:

They only thing they did wrong was half assing it and not allowing players to actually go to this "virtual event" in game. Sales would've skyrocketed. But I guess not within the realm of possibility that CIG can come up with something as creative as that.
I can just imagine Fake-Clarkson flipping in and out of the map, clipping through everything, his limbs distending in ways only the Stimperor could imagine.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

CrazyTolradi posted:

I can just imagine Fake-Clarkson flipping in and out of the map, clipping through everything, his limbs distending in ways only the Stimperor could imagine.

As someone dances naked atop the violently (and repeatedly) detonating ship in the background.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

D1E posted:

loving LOL:

http://www.dereksmart.com/forum/index.php?topic=26.0

Is Derek lurking and continuing to steal content from SA for his new forums and blogs?

Hi Derek!

I think he has got an intern full time sweeping this thread.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

I thought it was a joke but Derek has actually set up his own forum with hookers and blackjack.

He really is the cherry on top of the poo poo sundae that is star citizen. I'd like to thank Crobber for getting him so deeply involved with that 8 hour letter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

does dereks forum cost $10 to join?

• Locked thread