Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Somebody's not getting some for a very long time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Geocities Homepage King posted:

The video set this gif is from is absolutely adorable. :3:

But the guy who does them is a pretty good source of schadenfreude. He does things like get quilled by porcupines and bitten by snapping turtles just to show people what it's like. He's also been catching and getting stung by the insects with the most painful stings int he world while he works his way up to the bullet ant.

I really want to see him get stung by a platypus.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Pow! Right in the snootch!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Phanatic posted:

I really want to see him get stung by a platypus.

I'm trying to imagine how hard it would be get stung by a platypus in the wild.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Outrail posted:

I'm guessing trying to pick one up and handle it during mating season should do the trick.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Outrail posted:

You pretty much have to either be trying to trap it or, in rare cases, saving it from a trap or snare.

quote:

In 1991, Keith Payne, a former member of the Australian Army and recipient of the Victoria Cross (Australia's highest award for valour) was struck on the hand by a platypus spur, while trying to rescue the stranded animal. He described the pain as worse than being struck by shrapnel. One month later he was still experiencing pain in that hand. In 2006, Payne reported discomfort and stiffness when carrying out some physical activities, such as using a hammer.

The venom itself is a goddamn cocktail of pain

quote:

scientists have just determined that the venom contains over 80 different toxins in 13 different classes. The poison can kill small animals, and can leave humans in pain for weeks. The venom is delivered through a barb on the male’s foot–it’s thought that the fellas use the poison during mating season to show dominance.

At least three of the toxins are unique to the platypus and the rest are strikingly similar to proteins from a variety of animals including snakes, lizards, starfish, and sea anemones.
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/discoblog/2010/10/13/the-platypus-can-poison-you-80-different-ways/#.WDSQqX31ptE

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 19:40 on Nov 22, 2016

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Man that duck beaver is hosed up

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I assume that's what he got the Victoria Cross for.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RTrjqdKGAE

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

You pretty much have to either be trying to trap it or, in rare cases, saving it from a trap or snare.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/discoblog/2010/10/13/the-platypus-can-poison-you-80-different-ways/#.WDSQqX31ptE

Natures funniest joke

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
why does every single poisonous/venemous thing from australia seem to have the additional gently caress-you of "oh, and if it doesn't kill you, you'll have chronic pain in the affected area for years afterwards"

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

President Ark posted:

why does every single poisonous/venemous thing from australia seem to have the additional gently caress-you of "oh, and if it doesn't kill you, you'll have chronic pain in the affected area for years afterwards"

There has to be some trade off for living on a continent covered with delicious animals and no actual predators to compete with but loving dingoes. The rest of us got lions, and tigers, and bears, oh my!

For real, you haven't lived till you've eaten kangaroo steak. :munch:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Chichevache posted:

There has to be some trade off for living on a continent covered with delicious animals and no actual predators to compete with but loving dingoes. The rest of us got lions, and tigers, and bears, oh my!

What's Emu like? I never hear anyone mention them as food, but I also can't imagine a giant bird like that not being tasty.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kinda like ostrich, IIRC.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Chichevache posted:

I've had kangaroo. It was gamey and kinda bad, like poor rabbit. How is it supposed to taste then?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ostrich burgers are drat tasty. I imagine emu would be similar.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

flosofl posted:

Ostrich burgers are drat tasty.

Major plot point in "Eight Legged Freaks"!

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

President Ark posted:

The oddest thing is that Australia has very few natural native predators and any native predators sure as hell wouldn't be hunting a platypus outside of maybe snakes. Which does make me wonder what the hell they have to protect themselves from using painful toxins.

Chichevache posted:

Even then, Dingoes were introduced by the Aboriginals. Prior to them, the only real land predator was the Tasmanian Tiger

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Testekill posted:

The oddest thing is that Australia has very few natural native predators and any native predators sure as hell wouldn't be hunting a platypus outside of maybe snakes. Which does make me wonder what the hell they have to protect themselves from using painful toxins.

Look at em, everything about them is clearly the result of an evolutionary freak accident.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Crocoswine posted:

Look at em, everything about them is clearly the result of an evolutionary freak accident.

It disproves intelligent design because what god would create the platypus

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Testekill posted:

Loki?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Testekill posted:

"Even God has a sense of humor. Just look at the Platypus."

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

VanSandman posted:

I've had kangaroo. It was gamey and kinda bad, like poor rabbit. How is it supposed to taste then?

I had it at some restaurant in Sidney and it was the most succulent steak I ever tasted. No idea what part of roo it was cut from. :shrug:

Testekill posted:

Even then, Dingoes were introduced by the Aboriginals. Prior to them, the only real land predator was the Tasmanian Tiger

Imagine an America or Europe where the apex predator is a loving badger. :laugh:

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

VanSandman posted:

It should be like lean beef.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Chichevache posted:

I had it at some restaurant in Sidney and it was the most succulent steak I ever tasted. No idea what part of roo it was cut from. :shrug:

THAT which you have just eaten, which your taste buds have savored, which your teeth have just torn apart, THAT is human meat.

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007

Chichevache posted:

Preparation is everything with Roo. It has a much, much lower fat content than beef or lamb, so it's very easy to make it tough and inedible.

Roo Bolognese is absolutely delicious.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

chyaroh posted:

Preparation is everything with Roo. It has a much, much lower fat content than beef or lamb, so it's very easy to make it tough and inedible.

Roo Bolognese is absolutely delicious.

Same with bison meat. Super lean, super tasty done correctly.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Kangaroo really benefits from slow cooking. I make a slow cooker kangaroo curry that falls apart like good pulled pork.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

flosofl posted:

Same with bison meat. Super lean, super tasty done correctly.

Reindeer and moose are kinda the same. You either cook it rare or for several hours in a stew, otherwise it's like eating gamey leather.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Chichevache posted:

Imagine an America or Europe where the apex predator is a loving badger. :laugh:

Early Aborigines may have coexisted with the megalania, a larger version of the komodo dragon

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

poly and open-minded posted:

Early Aborigines may have coexisted with the megalania, a larger version of the komodo dragon

That's very disrespectful towards the new FLOTUS

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Dude got Flintstowned

I can't believe you missed the chance to use this.

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now
Irukandji jellyfish is apparently worse than bullet ants, if just for the spectrum of symptoms and length.

"Patients have been reported as being so certain they are going to die, they beg their doctors to kill them to get it over with. Symptoms generally abate in four to 30 hours, but may take up to two weeks to resolve completely."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irukandji_syndrome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CHshkF8GDU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

DocCynical posted:

Irukandji jellyfish is apparently worse than bullet ants, if just for the spectrum of symptoms and length.

"Patients have been reported as being so certain they are going to die, they beg their doctors to kill them to get it over with. Symptoms generally abate in four to 30 hours, but may take up to two weeks to resolve completely."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irukandji_syndrome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CHshkF8GDU

The fascinating thing about Irukandji is that they're so small and fragile and yet they're amongst the deadliest animals in the world.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

So basically like rest of the platypus, the venom is also mostly a collection of spare parts stolen from other animals.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Testekill posted:

The fascinating thing about Irukandji is that they're so small and fragile and yet they're amongst the deadliest animals in the world.

Here's a jellyfish less than 2cm long, completely invisible in the water, whose sting you can't even feel, but will make your heart explode.

Also, a side effect of the venom is extreme dread.

Irukandji scare the poo poo out of me.

Look how small this fucker is:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Interesting in how little it cares for it's victim's suffering.

A qualification of a monster I think.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

Here's a jellyfish less than 2cm long, completely invisible in the water, whose sting you can't even feel, but will make your heart explode.

Also, a side effect of the venom is extreme dread.

Irukandji scare the poo poo out of me.

Look how small this fucker is:

They're also nigh impossible to keep in captivity because if they bump into the glass then they're probably going to die because of how fragile they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
The best story of Irukandji schadenfreude is that of Jack Barnes, a scientist in the 60's who decided the best way to confirm that the jellyfish was the source of the pain was to have himself, a random lifeguard, and his 9 year-old son stung.