Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Pivo posted:

So, no more Time Capsule? Is there an Apple-supported non-hacky way of backing up to a NAS yet? I really like my Time Capsule, it's a very capable and reliable router and automated backups are awesome. It won't last forever though, I'll eventually need something to replace it.

It just works out of the box with my Western Digital Mycloud (model PR4100, but I suspect it works with most if not all of them.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, I have a 4TB MyCoud 2. I just had to assign a share (and user permission to said share), how much of the drive I wanted TM to use before it started removing the oldest backups and point TM on my Mac to the share. It's been working flawlessly.

The MyCloud 2 is also my Plex server.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Binary Badger posted:

If we're talking about 13" and 15" rMBPs, there's poo poo for difference -except- in SSD speed, GPUs, and video output.

2014s have older Intel Iris iGPUs and nVidia GTX 750 dGPUs (15-inch only), can drive 4K displays at 24/30 Hz over HDMI, 4K displays at 60 Hz over Thunderbolt (only 15-inch with nVidia GT 750)

2015s have faster SSDs than 2014s, newer Iris iGPUs and an AMD R9 M370X dGPU (15-inch only), can drive 4K displays at 30, 60Hz, 5K displays at 60 Hz (only 15-inch with AMD R9 M370X option)

Which one matters to you is a preference of taste, although you'll get CUDA acceleration with the older nVidia dGPU. If you neither know nor care about CUDA, it's a non issue.

This may have been posted if so oops, but anyway the new nvidia CUDA drivers disable support for the cards in 2013/14 rMBPs. So if you want CUDA support this isn't a route to it. It's not a Mac thing it's not supported on windows either afaik. Adobes suite now supports Metal but it's pretty limited. You can still use Open CL acceleration on the 650M and 750M.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

enojy posted:

I don't imagine they'll scrutinize just because your screen isn't super hosed. I think anyone could look at that and agree that it looks bad, and besides, it's probably only a matter of time until the rest of the coating fails.

Not only will they not scrutinize it, the screen recall is pretty much absolute. We've had work laptops with shattered screens replaced completely free of charge because screen coating de-lamination was spotted by the tech. We also discovered to our horror that certain really cheap screen wipes will take the coating right off.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Bob Morales posted:

Has anyone in this thread had any luck with getting Apple to replace Retina screens because of delamination?

Just took in a 2015 12" MacBook this evening to get the same issue repaired. Also out of warranty and they are taking care of it no questions asked.

eames
May 9, 2009

grahm posted:

Just took in a 2015 12" MacBook this evening to get the same issue repaired. Also out of warranty and they are taking care of it no questions asked.

The official policy is that it they'll replace it no-questions-asked for machines that are not older than 3 years.

Mine has the same problem, was purchased on Nov 4th 2013 and I asked for a replacement on 9th of this year, obviously not knowing the policy. They said "they'll see what they can do". The repair is still pending approval from apple. :ohdear:

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Khablam posted:

This isn't really an issue any more, any decent NAS will support being a destination for time machine (my cheap-rear end buffalo does even).
As far as actual router quality goes, most newer ones exceed the performance of the apple one by now. Wirecutter is a good place for looking at reviews on them when you need to buy one.

Has anyone had experience configuring a Synology NAS to act as a router? Right now I have a 1515+ behind a Time Capsule but I could see letting the 1515+ do the routing and put the time capsule in bridge mode.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

SourKraut posted:

I know you live in "Everything was poo poo before Apple got involved" land, but the original Airport Base Station was a turd of a design, with overheating issues, poor cross-OS support, and poor wireless coverage.

It didn't really become an effective solution until the AirPort Extreme Base Station debuted, at which point some, like (pre-Cisco/poo poo) Linksys, had decent options available.

That's because all rev A Apple hardware sucks. Rev B new MBP's will probably have fantastic battery life and they might stick in a microSD slot just to gently caress with early adopters.

Airports weren't perfect, but because you had one or two models that were very well supported it wasn't the crapshoot buying a Netgear was. At least more recently you could pick up dirt cheap Airport Expresses and make a very fine WiFi mesh with minimal effort.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

RE: lamination issues

The deal was, for any MBPS less than 3 years old or up until Oct 31st of this year, whichever was latest so if you've got a Mid-2013 you might be out of luck.

I got mine in a few months back and they changed it no questions asked so if you're nice they still might do it. If you're on a 2014 or 15 you're fine

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Cool, I'll make an appointment and try to get it in this week.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Krispy Kareem posted:

That's because all rev A Apple hardware sucks. Rev B new MBP's will probably have fantastic battery life and they might stick in a microSD slot just to gently caress with early adopters.

Airports weren't perfect, but because you had one or two models that were very well supported it wasn't the crapshoot buying a Netgear was. At least more recently you could pick up dirt cheap Airport Expresses and make a very fine WiFi mesh with minimal effort.

But that was more recently, not the 1999 - 2002 period he was talking about.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The correct answer in that era was to buy those specific Linksys routers that had more RAM than they needed and custom-firmware them.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I do love that as soon as any new tech is released, the race is on to get Doom running on it.

They'll never beat the dude who rigged his toaster to be the controller for it though. I can't even remember if it was a hoax or not, it doesn't matter.

... it was fake dude. not hard to figure out when he was just slamming on random toasters and the screen somehow just magically moved for him.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Smashing Link posted:

Has anyone had experience configuring a Synology NAS to act as a router? Right now I have a 1515+ behind a Time Capsule but I could see letting the 1515+ do the routing and put the time capsule in bridge mode.

Just buy a Ubiquiti router/AP and be done with crappy consumer grade gear forever. Best decision/investment I ever made. The networking thread can point you in the right direction.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SourKraut posted:

But that was more recently, not the 1999 - 2002 period he was talking about.

Sorry, I was talking about the square airports, not the old rounded ones.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

went to apple store near my folks' place. i finally got to play around with the 15" touchbar macbook pro

the keyboard feels better for me now. i still think it could use more travel but it's not a deal breaker.
the large trackpad feels useless to me. i didn't get any sense of, 'wow i never thought i needed a bigger trackpad but now i want it'
touchbar to me was still frustrating, again maybe this requires time getting used to it but having to look down to fiddle really breaks my flow.

question for those who already have one (as i forgot to check this), if you turn off the brightness all the way down (via the touchbar controls), does that also turn off/dim the touchbar? or are the touchbar and monitor's brightness settings separate from each other?

while i was testing it out, these 3 middle-age ladies were also looking at all the new macbook pros

"why is it called pro? do i need a pro laptop?"
"there's no card reader"
"if we're going to get one, we're getting one with the touchbar"
they were also not happy about the price.

apparently one of the ladies was looking because her 2010(?) macbook's battery bubbled :stare: and it looked like her trackpad was broken off. once the genius/sales rep guy told her it'd probably be $150 to replace, she decided to just do that instead of buying a new one.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Viper_3000 posted:

Just buy a Ubiquiti router/AP and be done with crappy consumer grade gear forever. Best decision/investment I ever made. The networking thread can point you in the right direction.

My Ubiquiti AP was pretty buggy, probably due to a botched firmware upgrade. But you can access the support chat from within the router control panel and they spent 3 hours on a Saturday night fixing my poo poo.

All my home networking dollars go to them now.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Viper_3000 posted:

This is 100% the right answer.

If you don't want to dig into the real stuff their new Amplifi mesh setup seems like it is amazing.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

It doesn't bode well for wireless technology on the Macs, especially since Broadcom just sold off their wireless products to Cypress Semiconductor.

Now that they 1) can't get the same price breaks Broadcom used to give them and 2) have to hunt for another vendor that can provide the quality/quantity that Broadcom used to provide, they're going to have to test the waters with other vendors who aren't used to Apple's style of operation.

Additionally, now that WiFi is provided by the mysterious "Murata/Apple 339S00056" chip, which is not a replaceable part, means if you have WiFi issues,
instead of swapping out a single module, whoops, gotta send the whole logic board back and replace with a new one.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/aaronti...s/#135cf2d67420

Apparently the Murata / Apple chip replaces what used to be the Broadcom WiFi/Bluetooth module that used to be on pre-2016 Macs. It's also used on the iPhone 7.

Apple may have decided it was no longer necessary to continue producing their own router, with its attendant hassles, and just come up with their own WiFi chipset owing to the volatility of external vendors, but only as clients. But now that they no longer control that single aspect of the networking, I predict there's gonna be a lot more newbie Mac owners complaining about their WiFi connectivity than there used to be.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

I worked in Apple retail as a third party rep until recently, so I have some insight into the death of the Airport. A little over a year ago, Apple retail/third party started a push into attaching more Airport Hardware to iPhone/iPad sales. They were doing training courses for their employees to ask questions like "how old is your router at home" and "who's your ISP" to try and open the door for the pitch on an Airport. They had some pretty lofty targets for those attach rates too, almost 50% at one point. That's an Airport for every other iPhone or iPad sold.

After listening in on conference calls and the like, the employees were reporting massive pushback on the wireless hardware pitch. People just did not care in the slightest about their wireless setup. A lot just used the hardware given by their ISP, and most were terrified of the prospect of swapping their router out, no matter how clear and easy the instructions were. Everyone that wanted better wifi had it, and those that didn't, according to other surveys, couldn't identify the router as the source of their network issues anyway, they blamed the computers or the ISP itself first. Wifi hardware was just not something any amount of salesmanship could get moving. I stopped hearing so much about airport attach rates after the program seemed to be a flop and now they're canning the thing all together. Can't say I'm surprised. The average consumer seems to see wifi hardware as a magic box that makes computers have internet. Hell, some people didn't understand that a wifi box at home didn't give you wifi everywhere you went... :eng99:

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

SaturdayKnight posted:

I worked in Apple retail as a third party rep until recently, so I have some insight into the death of the Airport. A little over a year ago, Apple retail/third party started a push into attaching more Airport Hardware to iPhone/iPad sales. They were doing training courses for their employees to ask questions like "how old is your router at home" and "who's your ISP" to try and open the door for the pitch on an Airport. They had some pretty lofty targets for those attach rates too, almost 50% at one point. That's an Airport for every other iPhone or iPad sold.

After listening in on conference calls and the like, the employees were reporting massive pushback on the wireless hardware pitch. People just did not care in the slightest about their wireless setup. A lot just used the hardware given by their ISP, and most were terrified of the prospect of swapping their router out, no matter how clear and easy the instructions were. Everyone that wanted better wifi had it, and those that didn't, according to other surveys, couldn't identify the router as the source of their network issues anyway, they blamed the computers or the ISP itself first. Wifi hardware was just not something any amount of salesmanship could get moving. I stopped hearing so much about airport attach rates after the program seemed to be a flop and now they're canning the thing all together. Can't say I'm surprised. The average consumer seems to see wifi hardware as a magic box that makes computers have internet. Hell, some people didn't understand that a wifi box at home didn't give you wifi everywhere you went... :eng99:

Yeah. My boss is a 70 year old dude. He had a router in his house that was broadcasting but wasn't connected to anything because the cable company came out and gave him a new gateway with wifi. This is the level of the average consumer when it comes to wifi. They take whatever the ISP is going to give them and don't give a gently caress, and blame everything else when it doesn't work.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I actually stopped using my Airport Extreme when my gigabit service came with a really good wireless router. I should have sold that Airport months ago.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Viper_3000 posted:

Interesting! I will definitely check it out.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Viper_3000 posted:

Yeah. My boss is a 70 year old dude. He had a router in his house that was broadcasting but wasn't connected to anything because the cable company came out and gave him a new gateway with wifi. This is the level of the average consumer when it comes to wifi. They take whatever the ISP is going to give them and don't give a gently caress, and blame everything else when it doesn't work.

My stupid fios router is directly tied coaxially into the cable box, so I am sure a lot of people are in that kind of boat.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Dude in class had the black Touch Bar MBP. I just want it for the color. :(

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Apple could make a toilet in Space Grey and I'd probably buy it.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

SaturdayKnight posted:

Apple could make a toilet in Space Grey and I'd probably buy it.
Maybe the next Mac Pro.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

unlawfulsoup posted:

My stupid fios router is directly tied coaxially into the cable box, so I am sure a lot of people are in that kind of boat.

You can generally turn off the wireless and put it into bridge mode if you want to put in the effort. That's a conversation for the network thread though.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Housh posted:

Maybe the next Mac Pro.

Which happens to be one very stylish bathroom trash can. Next comes a shower head and handles (sold separately) and a sink. My Apple bathroom will be complete.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

SaturdayKnight posted:

Which happens to be one very stylish bathroom trash can. Next comes a shower head and handles (sold separately) and a sink. My Apple bathroom will be complete.
But seriously Toto toilets and Moen faucets.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Viper_3000 posted:

You can generally turn off the wireless and put it into bridge mode if you want to put in the effort. That's a conversation for the network thread though.

Yeah, I figure there is a way but to be honest the router gets by. The key machines are connected via ethernet and I get a steady connection on portables.

Housh posted:

Maybe the next Mac Pro.

Somewhere Jony Ive cracks a wry smile. The world is finally ready for the toilet bowl pro.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

unlawfulsoup posted:

Yeah, I figure there is a way but to be honest the router gets by. The key machines are connected via ethernet and I get a steady connection on portables.

Somewhere Jony Ive cracks a wry smile. The world is finally ready for the toilet bowl pro.

have you ever poo poo into something, that could power your most creative ideas? we think we've done something magical with our new toilet computing device

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Strong Sauce posted:

have you ever poo poo into something, that could power your most creative ideas? we think we've done something magical with our new toilet computing device

Other PC makers just poo poo on you. With the new TBP you poo poo on us. Everyday. poo poo differently.

Apple could buy the molds for the Atari Jaguar with CD add-on and they could also score retro points.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I read some headline saying Ive was designing christmas trees for a mall or something. So going back to designing toilets isn't that far off. I also think that the $300 book of photos is a sign that he's planning on retiring from the company.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

Housh posted:

But seriously Toto toilets and Moen faucets.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

I also think that the $300 book of photos is a sign that he's planning on retiring from the company.

The graphic designer I use to work with was saying this last year after they released the Magic Mouse 2, the one that doesn't work if you're charging it :v: Like how the gently caress did that get past any designer

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The graphic designer I use to work with was saying this last year after they released the Magic Mouse 2, the one that doesn't work if you're charging it :v: Like how the gently caress did that get past any designer

It's intentional, Jony really loving hates wired mice and didn't want there to be any chance you could possibly use the Magic Mouse as a wired mouse under any circumstance. Form over function by design.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

At some stage Jony Ive woke up in a cold sweat from nightmares about people dealing with the friction of a lightning cable while using the lovely mouse he designed.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SaturdayKnight posted:

It's intentional, Jony really loving hates wired mice and didn't want there to be any chance you could possibly use the Magic Mouse as a wired mouse under any circumstance. Form over function by design.

Which is weird for someone who espouses to be a disciple of Dieter Rahm. Isn't he breaking one of Rahm's design commandments: Form is determined by function?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Apparently it charges fast as hell, so a few minutes of charge will last days. I guess he thought you would just take a poo poo, check your phone or leaf through your $300 book in the meantime.

Nevermind that the iPhone, Macbooks and iPads all work fine when being charged, making the mouse a bit of an anomaly.