Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Elfgames posted:

allmight is a big egotistical phony, he puts on a big show of "for I am here" and his big smile and he always saves everyone, but in reality he's just one scared broken man doing everything he can to keep the illusion of justice alive.

Actually, I think you'll find that his self-sacrifice and struggle against his own fears and insecurities make him even more genuine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Courage is not the lack of fear

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Elfgames posted:

allmight is a big egotistical phony, he puts on a big show of "for I am here" and his big smile and he always saves everyone, but in reality he's just one scared broken man doing everything he can to keep the illusion of justice alive.

This is pretty much the opposite of egotistical though?-

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Elfgames posted:

yeah, that last thing is what makes him a hero

this manga has some kinda standard writing places and some of the characters are pretty one-note (granted mostly the side characters who can get away with it) but it actually has some really interesting thoughts on heroism/justice and expresses them in a way that isn't just bad 90s batman edginess. It's cool to see.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
If All Might had been an edgy bishie guy like the editors wanted it would've sucked like half the charm out of the series. The dude being genuine, bombastic, and weird really sells it. I kinda wish we would have gotten to see him teaching in muscle form because of the act he put on in that form to make people feel at ease.

"I'M COMING THROUGH THE DOOR LIKE A NORMAL PERSON!"

Tsuyu has a really cute design, memorable personality, and so far hasn't been relegated to jobber side-character status.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It's very funny to me that in Todoroki's character page Horikoshi says he gets frostbite if he uses his right side for too long and suggests something bad will happen if he uses his left side for too long. Then just turns out Todoroki's facial scarring is from his mam belting him with a boiling kettle.

e: Also why is Ida the portrait on the spine of Volume 5 when Todoroki is front and centre on the cover and vice versa with Volume 6.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Nov 23, 2016

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Order of character importance.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

For sure! It's just funny in this case considering the cover art for each one! I think the baddie on the cover for Volume 6 looks like the swordsman teased at the end of the anime and I think he will be the person who stabbed All Might. To be more exact I think All Might's would looks like a stab wound. I'll be caught up soon!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

It's very funny to me that in Todoroki's character page Horikoshi says he gets frostbite if he uses his right side for too long and suggests something bad will happen if he uses his left side for too long. Then just turns out Todoroki's facial scarring is from his mam belting him with a boiling kettle.

It wouldn't be at all surprising if he could overheat from overuse of the fire half but he just hasn't. Pretty much every quirk that's theoretically overpowered has a drawback like Sparky's short circuiting and All Might's dwindling power before he lost it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Elfgames posted:

i dont think that makes him a phony, he is being brave so other people will be brave

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Elfgames posted:

Next you're going to tell us that the heroes' monopoly on violence is totally unfair.

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 23, 2016

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
The heroes' monopoly on violence, get it right.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
who heroes the heroes

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The heroes' monopoly on violence, get it right.

:doh:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

eonwe posted:

who heroes the heroes

That would be Stain. :v:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Fabricated posted:

If All Might had been an edgy bishie guy like the editors wanted it would've sucked like half the charm out of the series.

Uhh what tell me more
Post concept pics if they exist

That would have just made me never pick the series back up jesus. Instead of "FOR IM HERE" you get some sasuke level blowhard

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Uhh what tell me more

That would have just made me never pick the series back up jesus. Instead of "FOR IM HERE" you get some sasuke level blowhard

Horikoshi has done his best to make sure that NOBODY is Sasuke.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
honestly, this isn't my all time favorite anime / manga, but its pretty excellent. They have a lot of characters and they do a good job of making you invested in them, which is a pretty tough thing to do. The only other show I am as invested in the characters in is probably Gintama

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Last Celebration posted:

It wouldn't be at all surprising if he could overheat from overuse of the fire half but he just hasn't. Pretty much every quirk that's theoretically overpowered has a drawback like Sparky's short circuiting and All Might's dwindling power before he lost it.

I think the idea is that if he learns to master both sides, he can counteract the disadvantages of overusing either one. That's the stated reason that Endeavour wanted an icy-hot child, so they could be better than him and surpass All Might.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

In a lesser Manga All Might would have appeared as this super awesome guy, but deep down been a selfish prick obsessed with money and fame, and would have been a cheap way to mock Western Superheroes.

The fact that he's super genuine despite all his fears makes him even more heroic, and the fact that he has positive response is even better. When I first started reading this, I was convinced All Might was going to be a jerk, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Even the "I'm only doing this for the fame" character Mt. Lady got to be a genuine hero as well. Which is an added bonus :3:

I like this Manga. It is cool and good.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im glad he basically did a 'gently caress your manga tropes' thing with some of the characters, that is a definite plus

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

even endeavor, who's an rear end in a top hat and a prime example of what stain is talking about, is shown to at least care about saving people in the most efficient way possible (even if it's just to stroke his own ego). the hero side of things is pretty nuanced for a shonen manga - there's people who sincerely believe in justice, people who just do the best they can and view it as a job like any other, and people who see it as an easy way to get famous but are still willing to put their lives on the line for others.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

And this is also reflected in how our three big boys were all inspired to become heroes by All Might, all for different but equally valid reasons.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Uhh what tell me more

In All Might's Omake page he talks about how his editors and contemporaries complained about his design and asked if he couldn't be made "more handsome/attractive"- and basically this made him want to design him like that even more.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Fabricated posted:

In All Might's Omake page he talks about how his editors and contemporaries complained about his design and asked if he couldn't be made "more handsome/attractive"- and basically this made him want to design him like that even more.

"he looks like a jolly old man." That comment apparently just made it easier and more fun to draw AM :allears:

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Terper posted:

And this is also reflected in how our three big boys were all inspired to become heroes by All Might, all for different but equally valid reasons.

Todoroki has the best reason, because it's the best "gently caress you dad" ever.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Uhh what tell me more

I don't know if there ever was concept pics, but from what I understand Jump's editors weren't sure All Might's design would be popular (since y'know it's pretty unique) and wanted him to be more traditionally good looking and whatever. But I don't recall ever hearing they wanted him to have a completely different personality as well.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't know if there ever was concept pics, but from what I understand Jump's editors weren't sure All Might's design would be popular (since y'know it's pretty unique) and wanted him to be more traditionally good looking and whatever. But I don't recall ever hearing they wanted him to have a completely different personality as well.

people are just projecting because they have weird insecurities about the concept of male characters being attractive

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Are you saying that this man isn't attractive??

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
All Might was my first exposure to MHA and I had the same worries as everyone else, that he wouldn't be genuine, that he'd be The Mentor who dies at the appropriate point because he's The Mentor, and all of these were proven wrong. Before long All Might made me believe in him.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Probably one of thee cases where fans wildly exaggerate some anecdote like with the guy who made Broly commenting on Beerus.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's great that the manga acknowledged the whole "the mentor must die" thing and made it part of the actual story and conflict between A4O and O4A.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Last Celebration posted:

Nah, Todoroki is actually pretty ridiculous because he can simply cool off after using his fire by using his ice (or vice versa). His powers actually are completely overpowered, which is why Endeavor became so obsessed with making him surpass All Might.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Terper posted:

It's great that the manga acknowledged the whole "the mentor must die" thing and made it part of the actual story and conflict between A4O and O4A.

But also, All Might did die in a way.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Nah, Todoroki is actually pretty ridiculous because he can simply cool off after using his fire by using his ice (or vice versa). His powers actually are completely overpowered, which is why Endeavor became so obsessed with making him surpass All Might.

yea that was the whole point of endeavor's eugenics program. he wanted to make a quirk that had no drawback and could keep going forever, which is where the fire/ice idea came from. ice cools him down when he uses fire, fire warms him up when he uses ice

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, but he's only ever used fire to defrost people before the school festival, so he himself can't use the powers in sync perfectly yet, which is kind of a flaw even if it's one that can be overcome.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Can't wait for Bakugou to get the mid-season upgrade to his costume which is just a CamelPak that lets him rehydrate easier so he can keep sweating

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new chapter

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Boku-no-Hero-Academia/117---It-s-About-Your-Quirk?id=329971

holy gently caress it's happening, I love that there's no fake-out, there's no twist, it's exactly as everyone expected. Bakugou figured it out. This'll either be his turning point or he's about to crash and burn super hard emotionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
oh god no

He's gone full Sasuke!