Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Nucleic Acids posted:

I will never understand people who like Sera.

They can self-identify with a sociopathic 16-year-old chav that freezes or sets herself on fire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Zore posted:

The Witcher is terrible, and I'm always honestly shocked people who like to clown on Bioware for lovely writing defend loving Geralt.

Also the gameplay is god-awful.

Are you referring to the first game, or to The Witcher 3?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Arcsquad12 posted:

Are you referring to the first game, or to The Witcher 3?

The first game was much worse, but The Witcher 3 is still real poo poo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Zore posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRKLk5IqOyw

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Zore posted:

the wrongest opinion

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I have room for lots of opinions, but if you think a Dragon Age game is better than Witcher 3 you are probably suffering from some kind of mental illness.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I don't think particularly highly of The Witcher games, and yeah, they're better than the Dragon Age series, which I'm somewhat fond of, to a ridiculous degree.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Alain Post posted:

I have room for lots of opinions, but if you think a Dragon Age game is better than Witcher 3 you are probably suffering from some kind of mental illness.

I wasn't saying anything about Dragon Age? Just expressing surprise that goons were clowning on it and turning around to praise Witcher which is like.... loving terrible?

Like I feel like people should totally make fun of the bad poo poo in Dragon Age, but the Witcher is chock full of dumb bullshit where women are just driven so crazy by how sexy Geralt is and he's the best sexer at sex and he's infertile ladies.

Its absolutely creepy and cringe-inducing bullshit, much like the 'romance' scenes in Dragon Age/Mass Effect. But there are a fuckton more of them and they're really intrusive into the plot.

Or the gameplay where you aggro an enemy of an arbitrary level higher than you so you start scratching them instead of doing damage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpT7qHnVxhs

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Zore posted:

the Witcher is chock full of dumb bullshit where women are just driven so crazy by how sexy Geralt is and he's the best sexer at sex and he's infertile ladies.

So you are just talking about Witcher 1 then, yes? The title even most Witcher fans agree was deeply flawed?

Because that doesn't describe Witcher 3.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

In the first game isn't it parodying the books?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

So you are just talking about Witcher 1 then, yes? The title even most Witcher fans agree was deeply flawed?

Because that doesn't describe Witcher 3.

Yeah, sure it doesn't.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I don't think there being a lot of sex in the Witcher 3 is equivalent to it being bad in the same way that it is in Bioware games.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Zore posted:

lmao

I just knew it that this thread would inevitably have a CDPR versus Bioware moment but come on

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
there also wasn't a lot of sex in the witcher 3.

like there was a fair amount and more than most video games, but it never really felt excessive in a game that lasts for over a hundred hours

also it's loving excellent. Like every character felt fundamentally real, their emotions felt real. It's pretty incredible to be honest. Best game I've ever played, probably.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 23, 2016

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Transmetropolitan posted:

lmao

I just knew it that this thread would inevitably have a CDPR versus Bioware moment but come on

They can both be poo poo.

Like, disliking one does not mean the other is magically good. There is no scale that says 'CDPR/BIOWARE' and you have to like one and hate the other.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Zore posted:

Like, disliking one does not mean the other is magically good. There is no scale that says 'CDPR/BIOWARE' and you have to like one and hate the other.

There is.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

If you're going to show Geralt naked at least do us the favor of showing us his real body. I mean you're gonna give us this poo poo

it's only because you're ashamed of giving us the real goods

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Zore posted:

It is also possible to dislike one and like the other though

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Having played the three Witcher games in order in a relatively short time, I can say that Geralt is a not very good character. He reminds me of the Gary Stu of an angry fourteen-year-old shut-in whose sole desire is to touch a boob. He bears too many similarities to Blade/Vash from Christian Humber Reloaded to convince me otherwise.

That being said, there are enough redeeming qualities in Witcher 3 for me to look past all this and put it among the best games I've ever played.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Geralt is my strong friend.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
who witches the watchmen???!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(Ă¢Â–Â°Ă‹Â˜vĂ‹Â˜Ă¢Â–Â°)
sci-fi > fantasy

imo

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Moola posted:

who witches the watchmen???!

Which witch watches the watchmen while witching?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Witcher 3 is a real good game. Probably my favorite game of all time. Thanks for listening Mass Effect thread.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Witcher 3 was an okay game that had a lot of flaws that I've kinda come to hate due to the weird cult that blossomed around it. See also: Undertale.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah man I also hate things as a reaction to my perception of a group of people who agree on something.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

but enough about rpg romances

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
This game better have a flexible character creation system. If my PCs teeth don't extend and clip outside of their lips and deeply receded chin, I don't want to play them at all.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Witcher 3 is a good game no matter what Geralt is like.

Dragon Age 2 is not a good game because of what everything is like.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Beefstew posted:

Witcher 3 was an okay game that had a lot of flaws that I've kinda come to hate due to the weird cult that blossomed around it. See also: Undertale.

I think I cut myself on this post.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So many people butthurt about opinions in this thread.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

marshmallow creep posted:

So many people butthurt about opinions in this thread.

That reminds me of something my grandfather would say. "Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has them and they are often full of poo poo." He also said the prevent defense "prevented winning."

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Witcher 3 is good but I think I like Witcher 2 better. Both beat all of the Dragon Ages.

Torgover posted:

Having played the three Witcher games in order in a relatively short time, I can say that Geralt is a not very good character. He reminds me of the Gary Stu of an angry fourteen-year-old shut-in whose sole desire is to touch a boob. He bears too many similarities to Blade/Vash from Christian Humber Reloaded to convince me otherwise.

I haven't read the books but I understand this was sort of the original intention with Geralt - a send-up of Elric-alike moody broody anti-heroes with special snowflake hair and special snowflake fighting styles.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Trast posted:

Which witch watches the watchmen while witching?

get out of here witcher!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Lt. Danger posted:

Witcher 3 is good but I think I like Witcher 2 better. Both beat all of the Dragon Ages.

I'm sorry, game where the final boss is unbeatable if you were unfortunate enough to build as a spellcaster is not better than DA:O.

Oh and remember kids, no respecs because being cornered in a terrible build is really fun.

Edit: Actually thinking about it, you could do this to yourself in DA:O but the game was so moddable that it never really ended up being an issue.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Lt. Danger posted:

I haven't read the books but I understand this was sort of the original intention with Geralt - a send-up of Elric-alike moody broody anti-heroes with special snowflake hair and special snowflake fighting styles.

He is. He's moody, grumpy and no one really likes him. The only reason he has so much sex is because he's disease-free and infertile. In the games, though, you don't really get his kind of hyperbolic, holier-than-thou, angsty inner monologue though.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I'm sorry, game where the final boss is unbeatable if you were unfortunate enough to build as a spellcaster is not better than DA:O.

Oh and remember kids, no respecs because being cornered in a terrible build is really fun.

Edit: Actually thinking about it, you could do this to yourself in DA:O but the game was so moddable that it never really ended up being an issue.

Never had a problem with my magic Geralt build.

I wouldn't say the Witchers have particularly good mechanics but by god are they still better than the turgid sludge of Dragon Age combat.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Witcher 3 wasn't a good game and I will never understand the praise it got.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Ugh all this witchery talk. Someone go back to talking about aliens they want to bone please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Post Tali fanart.