Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heskie
Aug 10, 2002

McGlockenshire posted:

I'm looking for modern, maintained Javascript libraries to perform data binding (the synchronization of an object with HTML elements or values) and related UI-centric operations. I'm not looking for tools to build a single-page application.

Right now it looks like my only sane options are Rivets and Vue.

The library must stand alone. No external library requirements. No build tools. No package managers. The project lead doesn't want to add additional tooling right now. If I can't commit the complete library to our source control, I'm not going to be able to use it.

I'd go with Vue as I've used it with PHP/Laravel for a long time now and really like it.

Whats stopping you from using Vue or Rivets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

kedo posted:

How many of you design/develop on Windows?

At my job pretty much all the developers preferred development on Linux. They gave us windows laptops, so we just installed virtualbox for the development tools to work side by side with whatever crap had to run in windows.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Is there some up-to-date guide on compiling to WebAssembly?

The one on the official site just says use emcc -s WASM=1 with the Emscripten SDK but doing that outputs some incredibly old version of the format that doesn't even have the same header.

Dreadrush
Dec 29, 2008
Using CSS I'm trying to display a list of items
- with a max height so there is a scrollbar
- with a variable width based upon the content
- with each item using flexbox and and an icon aligned to the right

code:
<div class="list">
  <div class="item">
    <div class="text">test test test test test</div>
    <div class="icon"></div>
  </div>
  ...repeated...
</div>
On Chrome, the list's width expands to allow the content in its entirety.
On Firefox, the list's width expands and "cuts off" the text early, as if the icon isn't even there.

What can I do to make Firefox behave the same as Chrome and expand out the list all the way?

https://jsfiddle.net/5wdfm9ks/

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Heskie posted:

Whats stopping you from using Vue or Rivets?

Oh, nothing, I just want more alternatives so I have a better idea of what to look into.

Also good to know, thank you.

Other recommendations I've gotten so far include Ractive and Knockout. I tried Knockout once and hated it, but I don't think I knew what I was doing back then and might give it another go, though it looks like it does more than I want.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

OneEightHundred posted:

Is there some up-to-date guide on compiling to WebAssembly?

The one on the official site just says use emcc -s WASM=1 with the Emscripten SDK but doing that outputs some incredibly old version of the format that doesn't even have the same header.

According to the emscripten guy you need to use an older version of binaryen or just use the nightly browser versions (Chrome Canary etc.) which accept newer(?) WebAssembly formats (assuming I'm getting the same error you're getting).

(the moral I'm taking from the story is so far is, don't compile to WebAssembly, it's not ready yet)

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Dreadrush posted:

code:
<div class="list">
  <div class="item">
    <div class="icon"></div>
  </div>
  ...repeated...
</div>
On Firefox, the list's width expands and "cuts off" the text early, as if the icon isn't even there.

What can I do to make Firefox behave the same as Chrome and expand out the list all the way?

This looks identical to me in Chrome and Firefox.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Dreadrush posted:

code:
<div class="list">
  <div class="item">
    <div class="icon"></div>
  </div>
  ...repeated...
</div>

Your flex-grow and flex-shrink settings are redundant wrt. the defaults for a flex element and your .text elements will never overflow without a set max-width (and possibly some width restriction on the parent?) because that's how flex elements work, as I understand them.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Lumpy posted:

No, it's because we're all jerks talking about modern front end stuff in the modern front end thread. I'd have suggested React Router, but there wasn't enough info to make a guess at what the rest of his code looked like.

Late on the reply but you're proving my point, I'm not recommending react-router if he's not using react.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
I am working on a website for a music school and the required functionality is to allow teachers to set their availability (for example Mon-Fri 9-5 pm). Students should then be able to view availability by teacher in a calendar format and book a lesson within the allowed times.

Any suggestions for an API which can accomplish this which is free or cheap? I was planning on using Google Calendar API but they do not really provide the functionality I am looking for unless I use a Work/School account which charges per user.

The website is being built with Spring MVC.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I dislike Wordpress/PHP so much and I've luckily avoided doing the sort of work that would have clients asking for it or something similar....until now.

I've been looking at alternatives and came across Mezzanine. Anyone have any opinions on it? It's mostly appealing to me because it's built with Django and I've got a lot of experience with that and I like python.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What's up with SSL certificate vendors making claims about the cheap certificates being ideal for low traffic sites? Are they just trying to push customers toward expensive "enterprise" stuff?
Or would a sudden spike in traffic somehow affect the user experience due to my choice of a $10 certificate?

I have no idea how these things work.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

rt4 posted:

What's up with SSL certificate vendors making claims about the cheap certificates being ideal for low traffic sites? Are they just trying to push customers toward expensive "enterprise" stuff?
Or would a sudden spike in traffic somehow affect the user experience due to my choice of a $10 certificate?

I have no idea how these things work.
Marketing bullshit.

Dreadrush
Dec 29, 2008

kedo posted:

This looks identical to me in Chrome and Firefox.

Munkeymon posted:

Your flex-grow and flex-shrink settings are redundant wrt. the defaults for a flex element and your .text elements will never overflow without a set max-width (and possibly some width restriction on the parent?) because that's how flex elements work, as I understand them.

Edit:
Looks like a lot of this can be removed - I am just using display: inline-block with a max-height here. It seems on Chrome it accounts for the scrollbar being there, but on Firefox it doesn't?
https://jsfiddle.net/ad10cfro/

This is what I see on Windows and also Ubuntu:

Ubuntu/Windows Chrome

Ubuntu/Windows Firefox

Dreadrush fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 21, 2016

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Dreadrush posted:

The .icon class can actually be removed. It seems on Chrome it accounts for the scrollbar being there, but on Firefox it doesn't?
https://jsfiddle.net/0w11gcv0/

This is what I see on Windows and also Ubuntu:

Ubuntu/Windows Chrome

Ubuntu/Windows Firefox

Pretty sure that red thing in your screenshot is the scroll handle.

Looks to me like Chrome computes the content size and then adds the width of the scroll bar to the outside of the element's content area where FF takes it away from the inner content after computing the size based on the content. You could try explicitly setting box-sizing, but that's about as far as my CSS coercion knowledge goes here.

E: being a bit more clear/explicit

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 21, 2016

Dreadrush
Dec 29, 2008

Munkeymon posted:

Pretty sure that red thing in your screenshot is the scroll handle.

Looks to me like Chrome computes the content size and then adds the width of the scroll bar to the outside of the element's content area where FF takes it away from the inner content after computing the size based on the content. You could try explicitly setting box-sizing, but that's about as far as my CSS coercion knowledge goes here.

E: being a bit more clear/explicit

I have no idea why, but changing
overflow: auto
to
overflow-y: scroll
fixes things. If anyone understands what the difference is I would love to understand what is going on here...
Thanks for your help.

https://jsfiddle.net/ad10cfro/
https://jsfiddle.net/2kjzfosp/

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Anyone know of a relatively easy to setup/customize (for a dev, not necessarially for a layperson) membership system that allows for paid subscriptions, different member levels (or membership options, eg. access to X, Y and Z services all have individual costs, user could pick and choose among them), and some administrative controls? I'm pretty open in terms of languages and platforms, though I lean towards WordPress because I'm comfortable with it. I'd also be totally happy with some third party service with a great API.

e: For reference, I know such a system could be coded from scratch without too much effort, but I'm also wondering if there's something that's relatively turnkey that I'm not aware of.

kedo fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 21, 2016

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Forgall posted:

Marketing bullshit.

To expand, the only thing you're buying with an SSL certificate is a file you provide (the Certificate Signing Request) that has been 'signed' by a root certificate owned by the company that issued you the SSL Certificate. That root certificate is trusted by browser vendors to be only used after a degree of validation has been done: that the information on it is correct, the domain it is for is correct, and the person who provided the signing request is in fact the owner of the domain.

When you hear of certificate providers being revoked from browser trust stores, they typically failed to validate properly or failed to secure their root certificates.

The lowest degree of VERIFICATION is usually domain validation, essentially verifying you control the domain by sending email or hitting the server. Let's encrypt is entirely automated and works this way, and it's free, so do your best not to pay for domain validation ever, it's just not worthwhile anymore with Lets Encrypt as a viable alternative.

Other levels of verification may involve mailing documentation, phone calls, etc, and usually goes with Extended Validation Certificates or whatever they brand them for. The only benefit you'll see is that the green lock may also show your business name or whatever, and that's essentially what you're paying for.

Absolutely none of these have to do with security or traffic once the certificate is in your hand, although one could say it would be harder for an attacker to get a fake extended validation certificate so that's more 'secure'.

Once you have the certificate, provided it was signed up to scratch of an adequate length, it's more up to server configuration than the certificate itself to ensure proper security and performance.

Obviously I'm glossing over/simplifying here and there, but this is roughly what a SSL certificate is and is not, but companies have a vested interested in not educating customers when the alternatives are free and essentially identical.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for all the info. I prefer to spend $10 per year because renewing Let's Encrypt every 90 days is more than I can be bothered to do.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

rt4 posted:

Thanks for all the info. I prefer to spend $10 per year because renewing Let's Encrypt every 90 days is more than I can be bothered to do.

Fair, however the intent for let's encrypt is to use one of the authentication methods that can be automated, at which point you literally just run 'letsencrypt renew' on your server every month and it handles the rest. So it's great if you can do that, super ideal for my dev shop at least, one less thing I need to go through the client for.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

rt4 posted:

EFF's Certbot makes it braindead to get Let's Encrypt up and running and renewing automatically. Worst case you have to set up a cronjob to run the renewal command every 89 days.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

IAmKale posted:

EFF's Certbot makes it braindead to get Let's Encrypt up and running and renewing automatically. Worst case you have to set up a cronjob to run the renewal command every 89 days.

You have to be a literal retard if you can't wrap your head around Certbot.

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.
I'm trying to embed a google form as an 100% height/width iframe for the sake of presenting a nice url.

Problem 1 was that the following:

code:
<html>
    <body>
        <iframe
	  src="https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdAx7LJAsiz9h9iaMd6qEjxLAkT-jWIaopFh-vJeuaPbDeGDg/viewform?embedded=true#responses"
	  width="100%" height="100%" frameborder="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0">Loading...</iframe>
    </body>
</html>
left a small white border around the edges of the page, and also lost its responsiveness when viewed on a phone. I can live with the border, but is there a way to restore the responsive design of the form so that it's usable on mobile devices?

The second problem, a head scratcher, is that the same code preceded with <!DOCTYPE html> leaves the iframe only 150 px high. ??? Have a look.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
code:
<!doctype html>
<html>
    <head>
        <style>
           html, body { height: 100%; margin: 0; padding: 0 }
        </style>
    </head>
    <body>
        <iframe
	  src="https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdAx7LJAsiz9h9iaMd6qEjxLAkT-jWIaopFh-vJeuaPbDeGDg/viewform?embedded=true#responses"
	  width="100%" height="100%" frameborder="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" seamless>Loading...</iframe>
    </body>
</html>

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I manage an old static site that has a "mailto:contact@email.com" link on the home page. It gets hammered with spam pretty regularly.

I think I'll remove the "mailto" link completely, but is there a standard clever way these days of still displaying the email address on the page but making it hard for bots to parse?

Ideally it would still be copy-pastable by users, so I don't really want to do the goofy "contact [at] email.com" thing, and I'd rather not use an image.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
most places just use a blob of javascript to write it into a clickable, copyable link, since most spambots don't execute JS due to resource cost

the alternative if you want something copyable but not linked is to shove a ton of invisible css elements, like fu<u style='display:none'>u</u>f@<u style='text-decoration:none'>e</u>x<b style='display:none'>f</b>ample.com

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Clever! Thanks.

I used the display:none method just because it was so easy to implement.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Looking at on-demand grids, what's the current recommended choice? I've used Neat/Bourbon a lot and like it, but I'm hearing good things about Susy and Flint. Anyone have experience using these? Which is most current?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I used Susy on a couple of projects and ultimately decided it was easier and cleaner to create a few helper mixins and code my own grids. I've also seen Neat used on a lot of projects I've had to interact with and it's pleasant enough.

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.

Hey, thanks. That cleared up the bordering issues.

I ended up going with a redirect anyhow, because the tweaks to enable the responsiveness on the page were having varying success across some different browsers.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Is there a thread about SEO poo poo on SA? I can't find anything in any subforums I would expect it in.

Like the entire SEO industry, every single article about the situation I'm in is steeped in bull that's hard to cut through.

Even though I'm asking in a thread that's more about technical stuff, my questions are related more to the "business" side of it. I just figured ya'll would know.

If there's no SA thread, where should I be looking for guidance? Every result on Google I get is just people boosting their own poo poo.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

There was one in BFC years ago, but it was more about monetizing your blog through adsense I think. What I've found useful in this thread is more "how" to do stuff (e.g. what microcode format should I use from structured data/rich snippets) than "why".

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

life is a joke posted:

Like the entire SEO industry, every single article about the situation I'm in is steeped in bull that's hard to cut through.

SEO is about 75% bullshit, but you still have to pay attention to the bullshit in order to understand the non-bullshit.

Go get a subscription to Moz's toolset and learn from there. If you can't afford it, at least do the trial and learn the jargon. My last employer paid to send most the dev and marketing teams to MozCon last year and it was actually really, really useful for all of us even though it was still 50% bullshit.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
e: wrong thread sorry

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

life is a joke posted:

Is there a thread about SEO poo poo on SA? I can't find anything in any subforums I would expect it in.

Even though I'm asking in a thread that's more about technical stuff, my questions are related more to the "business" side of it. I just figured ya'll would know.

If there's no SA thread, where should I be looking for guidance? Every result on Google I get is just people boosting their own poo poo.

Basically just be smart about document structure and don't allow duplicate content on the site. Otherwise, this huge book is the only legit thing I've ever read about SEO.

-JS-
Jun 1, 2004

well why not posted:

Looking at on-demand grids, what's the current recommended choice? I've used Neat/Bourbon a lot and like it, but I'm hearing good things about Susy and Flint. Anyone have experience using these? Which is most current?

My next step from Bourbon/Neat was Lost - because it uses calc() It's excellent for waffle grids

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The thing about SEO is that it's hugely non-technical. A massive portion of the industry is salesmanship and convincing clients the service is working. Another massive portion is navigating the waters of dubious 'advice'.

The technical side of things (good markup, rich snippets etc) is kind of a smaller task. The best uptick I've seen in SEO has been following advice from Webmaster Tools / GTMetrix. A 'badly' coded site that's fast as gently caress will be ranked way better than a 'well opimised' site that's slow. The top 3 things are pagerank, speed and mobile support.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

well why not posted:

The thing about SEO is that it's hugely non-technical. A massive portion of the industry is salesmanship and convincing clients the service is working. Another massive portion is navigating the waters of dubious 'advice'.

Exactly this, since Google aren't going to tell you the algorithm so it's mostly just trial-and-error or common sense as to what affects your ranking.

That, and every now and again Google drops hints like "responsive sites will do better".

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Most of SEO is marketing, but there's still a lot of technical stuff that people get wrong surprisingly often: multiple <H1> tags, too many navigation links, <title>Home</title>, no alt tags on images, etc.

It can still be worth offering a "technical SEO review" as a service in my (limited) experience.

There's also a middle ground between technical and marketing that covers things like explaining to the client about duplicate content and thin pages.

I thought about starting an SEO thread a while back because I always have loads of questions but I figured it wouldn't get much traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

nexus6 posted:

That, and every now and again Google drops hints like "responsive sites will do better".

I wonder if that's as simple as percentage of elements that could be affected by media width queries or something static-ish* analyzable like that.

"Uses flex layout at all: +10 points"