Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

Also you're going to spend a fortune defending those seats and probably lose them anyway because why vote for a Republican with a D next to their name when you can vote for one with an R?

I really don't get the appeal of chasing seats in deep red territory.

Because other things matter besides House and Senate seats, and the Republicans have been able to do incredible amounts of damage as well as building themselves powerful advantages in national elections by dominating state legislatures and governorships.

Chomskyan posted:

If Obama ratfucks the progressive left out of Keith Ellison as party chair, even after the Sanders/Warren wing made absolutely no attempt to take over the leadership of the Senate or the House, I may actually, fully give up on the Democrats

I find it incredibly sad that progressives learned absolutely nothing at all from the utter debacle that was Republicans' kneejerk "oh no we lost, better pick an outsider with demographic appeal to convince gullible people we've fundamentally changed over the last three weeks" RNC pick in 2008.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

It's been said a million times, but Perez is also a fine, progressive candidate. This seems to simply be a dispute about whether to go with a relative rookie who can devote themselves full-time to the job or a more experienced campaigner who might have to split their energies.
That may be so, but the progressive wing made it clear that Ellison is their choice, and it is only the progressive wing that stands a chance to build enthusiam and maybe rally for future electoral wins during the upcoming dark era. The establishment should just let them have this loving cookie for once. They really should be thanking their lucky stars that they got to keep Schumer in a leadership position at all. There should have been a thorough cleaning of house.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

As a progressive, I'm not cool with being thrown "cookies" that may actually end up being harmful in the long run so that fucks like Schumer can stay in power. I want big Dem wins and a strong progressive agenda being pushed. I'm open to which candidate is better for accomplishing that.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Posted this in Eastern Europe, but because it involves Trump, I'll post it here. The honeymoon with Russia is fading fast. The papers in Moscow are beginning to sound more cautious about Trump.

https://twitter.com/BBCSteveR/status/801325888273059840

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Nikki Haley will be the UN Ambassador. Here is why: https://twitter.com/maggienyt/status/801391288335613952

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Mr Hootington posted:

Nikki Haley will be the UN Ambassador. Here is why: https://twitter.com/maggienyt/status/801391288335613952

So the rewards are now in full swing and the media is currently trying to grovel at his feet and pretend that all this is normal.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

As a progressive, I'm not cool with being thrown "cookies" that may actually end up being harmful in the long run so that fucks like Schumer can stay in power. I want big Dem wins and a strong progressive agenda being pushed. I'm open to which candidate is better for accomplishing that.

Agreed, but we need to chip away at the red state governments for that to have any chance of success. When state governments can reject free money out of spite like they did with the ACA, it's piss easy for Republicans to project programs as a failure to the uneducated.

What's really pissing me off is that we aren't making a dent on the massive right wing propaganda machines that helped lead us to the point where nothing that doesn't help the GOP matters.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

A vocal hardline lefty like Ellison being chair gives progressives more power to project their message. It's not just a cookie, it's a very big deal. The DNC chair going to the progressive wing means they'll have a very large say in rebuilding the party

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I hope there are at least a lot of split-screen videos comparing the media in 2009 and 2017. "Going on a late night talk show just isn't very presidential"

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Geostomp posted:

So the rewards are now in full swing and the media is currently trying to grovel at his feet and pretend that all this is normal.

fwiw yes this is normal, every president has rewarded backers with for example amabassador or cabinet positions, this is just a reward that functions on top of it

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

LeeMajors posted:

As an SC resident, I can assure you this is a horrible pick.

She has no foreign policy experience outside throwing hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars at multinational conglomerates for the honor of providing them with a de facto banana republic workforce.

She is a corporatist in the worst sense of the word, a garden-variety 'hopes and prayers' republican on everything else, and is totally unqualified for this position. Laughable pick.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/704751393991737345

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Gail Wynand posted:

There's a pizza place in Upper Northwest DC near a lot of politicians' homes. It has a bit of a hipster vibe and hosts shows at night, but is popular with families during the day. The owner is David Brock's ex and seems to like kids, and everyone knows all gays are pedos. Also Tony Podesta hosts parties and fundraisers there occasionally. So this is enough evidence for the Infowars crowd to declare it the epicenter of Hillary's pedo ring. There have been demonstrations outside and the owners/staff are getting death threats left and right.

We had a couple of staff parties at Comet Ping-Pong when I worked at The Podesta Group and my friend has a slice of Pizza named after him on the menu. I somehow did not know that James was David Brock's ex.

Also, I never saw anyone molest any kids there, but I did see thousands of people jerking off over at Politics and Prose next door.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It is really hard to foresee anything but horror from the Trump presidency. I don't know if this country will survive the next four years.

I read about this in fiction all the time, but now it's actually happening. Holy poo poo.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Pollyanna posted:

It is really hard to foresee anything but horror from the Trump presidency. I don't know if this country will survive the next four years.

Easily. How fragile do you think a country is, or conversely how much do you actually think human life matters?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

gently caress

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I bet payroll departments around the country are groaning so hard right now.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Why is it that Republicans' entire platform is based on increasing human misery?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

FlamingLiberal posted:

Considering the rumors about John Bolton I will take this

Art Of The Deal!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

themrguy posted:

How safe is Ellison's district? It's turbo-blue, right?

He was on Keepin it 1600 this week and said that he won with like 70% last time, so he's probably safe barring a full on anti-Muslim assault from FoxNews.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
IS Henry McMaster bad?

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

At this point, I'm almost more afraid of what would happen if the election was flipped by the courts than I am of what would happen if it's not.

Minorities and LGBT folk are already being harassed by the Trumpers; if the courts "steal" the election for Hillary I could easily see many of those harassment cases escalating to outright murders.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Geostomp posted:

Rewarding campaign supporters with cushy jobs, especially when that comes with a partisan benefit is not normal? Im starting to think this "Dont normalize trump" thing has jumped the shark. Since when were nepotism, greed and racism not the foundation of the united states of america and its politics from day 1?

Take a load off and just enjoy laughing at right-wing types as he slowly quickly morphs into the bill-clintonesque centrist democrat he always was.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Nov 23, 2016

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

LeeMajors posted:

Why is it that Republicans' entire platform is based on increasing human misery?
They believe misery makes people stronger and more morally righteous.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Rewarding campaign supporters with cushy jobs, especially when that comes with a partisan benefit is not normal? Im starting to think this "Dont normalize trump" thing has jumped the shark. Since when were nepotism, greed and racism not the foundation of the united states of america and its politics from day 1?

Exactly, like I said the last 50-60 years is an aberration, this is how America has always been.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Paulism is a loving cancer in Christianity

spotlessd
Sep 8, 2016

by merry exmarx

LeeMajors posted:

quote:

On Tuesday, Mazzant, who was appointed by President Barack Obama, ruled that the federal law governing overtime does not allow the Labor Department to decide which workers are eligible based on salary levels alone.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/elianayjohnson/status/801263888058748928

Off to a good start!

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
gently caress YOU Texas U.S. District Judge Amos Mazzant
gently caress YOU TO DEATH
gently caress YOU IN THE URETHRA WITH A RUSTY CARPENTER RASP

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/307295-judge-blocks-obama-overtime-rule

This will likely drag out until Trump is in power and he repeals the whole loving thing.

Tim Krieder's cartoon is loving perfect.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Kinda depressing the hill folk already have their knives out for Ellison.
Not content with just losing us the elections, it looks like we're going to see 4 years of neolibs neolibbing.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Take a load off and just enjoy laughing at right-wing types as he slowly quickly morphs into the bill-clintonesque centrist democrat he always was.

Trump becoming a Bill Clinton who was just more open with being a horrible piece of poo poo when it comes to women might actually be the best we can hope for, ignoring the sweet, cold embrace of death.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Mulva posted:

Easily. How fragile do you think a country is, or conversely how much do you actually think human life matters?

Lemme rephrase. The country itself will remain, but it will mutate. It's not gonna be like how we used to know it. I don't know if it will change for the better.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

shrike82 posted:

Kinda depressing the hill folk already have their knives out for Ellison.
Not content with just losing us the elections, it looks like we're going to see 4 years of neolibs neolibbing.

But it's our demographic destiny!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Young Freud posted:

Posted this in Eastern Europe, but because it involves Trump, I'll post it here. The honeymoon with Russia is fading fast. The papers in Moscow are beginning to sound more cautious about Trump.

https://twitter.com/BBCSteveR/status/801325888273059840

Serious question, what happens if Putin goes out and says "Okay, I admit it: we hacked your voting machines and altered the count so that Trump won. Those people saying they found evidence are correct. We thought he'd be better and, frankly, we'd rather have Hillary."

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's always nice to watch them torpedo the quality of life on this material plane in the interest of possible enrichment in their own theoretical afterlife.

Covok
May 27, 2013

LeeMajors posted:

It's always nice to watch them torpedo the quality of life on this material plane in the interest of possible enrichment in their own theoretical afterlife.

It's even more ironic when you consider that very action supports the likely hood they go to hell.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Covok posted:

Serious question, what happens if Putin goes out and says "Okay, I admit it: we hacked your voting machines and altered the count so that Trump won. Those people saying they found evidence are correct. We thought he'd be better and, frankly, we'd rather have Hillary."

Not much, Trump would still become President and the right would just go back hating Putin and all thing Russian.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

LeeMajors posted:

Considering the massive and obvious sinner they supported in the last election I think their lovely policies are because they are just huge assholes that hate everyone. They don't really get the benefit of the doubt they are doing anything from a religious point of view anymore (unless you look at it from the perspective of religion to them just propagation of the worst aspects of white culture).

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

MattD1zzl3 posted:

rofl

Covok
May 27, 2013

Glazier posted:

Not much, Trump would still become President and the right would just go back hating Putin and all thing Russian.

I'd be more interested in the left's response. He'd basically make them lose all faith in democracy working properly. As a matter of fact, I'm shocked he didn't do it just to gently caress democracy and make his hackers sound 1337.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
http://www.rawstory.com/2016/11/albuquerque-police-illegally-deleted-altered-videos-of-police-shootings-report/

quote:

Albuquerque police illegally deleted, altered videos of police shootings

The Albuquerque Police Department is coming under fire after former records supervisor, Reynaldo Chavez, gave a sworn affidavit claiming officers altered and deleted body camera videos.

According to New Mexico In Depth, after at least two police shootings, videos were deleted or edited so they didn’t show the incident.

In the case of 19-year-old suspected car thief Mary Hawkes in April 2014, the videos were partially deleted in spots or altered. In a separate incident, surveillance camera video from a nearby salon showed APD officers shooting law enforcement informant, Jeremy Robertson. That video too was altered. Chavez explained the June 2014 video had “the tell-tale signs that it has been altered and images that had been captured are now deleted. One of the deleted images captured the officers shooting Jeremy Robertson.”

He also said that video cards were easy to take or conveniently lose. He heard Assistant Chief Robert Huntsman confess “we can make this disappear” discussing the body camera videos that were on the SD cards.

The disappearances weren’t unique to patrol officers. Chavez revealed that officers in multiple divisions, including specialized units, were all told not to write reports until there was a review of the body camera videos. If the videos didn’t contain anything concerning, the officers could write up the report on what was recorded. If images were considered “problematic,” officers were told not to mention the recording in the report, write “the recording equipment had malfunctioned” or say that the officer failed to turn on the body camera.

If there were reports that detailed what occurred in the recording, “the video would be altered or corrupted if it was damaging to the police department,” Chavez said.

He also indicated that he spoke to an APD supervisor about the video evidence being deleted or altered and that it was “illegal and unlawful” to do so. He said that he was told by then-deputy city attorney Kathy Levy “she was handling the situation.”

Levy retired from the city last year. New Mexico In Depth called her Friday morning and she denied Chavez’s allegation, saying, it was “absolutely not true.” She further said, “We never had any such conversation.”

Chavez still stands by his affidavit.

Police Chief Gorden Eden declined to answer whether officers had the ability to delete or alter videos.

The affidavit was part of a civil rights lawsuit against the city of Albuquerque, the APD and officer Jeremy Dear on behalf of the family of Mary Hawkes. The family is also suing the city under the Inspection of Public Records Act because they want the logs that supposedly show the officer that altered or deleted videos. The city refuses to turn the records over.

Chavez was placed on leave April 2015 when he led an investigation into unprofessional conduct in the records division. He was ultimately fired. He filed a whistleblower lawsuit against the city in January claiming he was raising concerns about department leaders and unlawful orders that forced him to deny public records requests. The city denies his claims.

The latest allegations also prompted new inquiries into a police shooting that lead to murder charges against two APD officers in March 2014. The officers, in that case, shot a homeless man. The trial ended in a mistrial last month. In the case, one officer testified that he did turn on his body camera, only later to find out that no video was recorded.

The memory cards for Scorpion body cameras were often times “bleached,” deleted or altered, Chavez said in his affidavit. In the case of the homeless man, Chavez alleges that he was told to “deny, withhold, obstruct, conceal, or even destroy records” involving that case and any others.

“These are extremely concerning allegations,” District Attorney Kari Brandenburg said Friday. “This throws everything into question. As prosecutors, we have to rely on what we get and the integrity of everyone in the process. These kinds of allegations raise so many questions.”

A website called Evidence.com allows officers to “edit lapel camera video in any number of ways,” Chavez said. The site lets anyone destroy them by “inserting or blurring images on the videos or by removing images from the video.”

“I was able to see, via the Evidence.com audit trail, that people had in fact deleted and/or altered lapel camera video,” he says in the affidavit. He also said that the site allows for uploading video from other sources like cell phone cameras or surveillance videos.

Chavez alleged that Detective Christopher Whigham trained the department’s public information officers, command staff and officers in other units on how to delete or alter their videos.

APD has released videos in the past that have heavily blurred spots, including one video that shows an officer running down a fleeing suspect with his truck. Another blurred video was of an incident in which officers stormed into a legal needle exchange program looking for drug traffickers.

In the case of Hawks, Dear’s video was functioning on the night of the incident, but the APD said that no video was recorded. Dear has since been fired by the APD for insubordination and other alleged infractions, but he’s fighting to get his job back.

Three other officers involved did record the incident and none of them are blurred to the level that the officer that allegedly shot Hawkes.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

what do you know, body cams on their own are a poo poo solution to police brutality. if we don't strongly criminalize missing/doctored footage then cops will just erase or doctor footage to cover their asses. pushing for bodycams alone was more likely than not a handout to bodycam manufacturers, and the devices are probably not well designed at all nor capable of video tampering detection.

Condiv fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

health care lobbyist

Hrm it says here that you worked as a healthcare lobbyist and are thus not pure enough.

• Locked thread