Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Counterpoint: If you have Runic, Gaia Cross is godlike on Celes.

Edit: It's great for any Tauntaliator. Draw Fire that also causes damage? Yeah, sold.

Varance fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Varance posted:

Counterpoint: If you have Runic, Gaia Cross is godlike on Celes.

Counter-counterpoint: If you have Maria's Song, you've got an Enholy beefing up those Saint Crosses.

Celes is just a Good Character, at this point.

But yeah, I made the point about Tauntaliate and Gaia Cross. I think we're actually all in agreement that even if SC is the better DPS skill, Gaia has far better utility.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

KataraniSword posted:

Counter-counterpoint: If you have Maria's Song, you've got an Enholy beefing up those Saint Crosses.
Run them both!

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

In a vacuum, Gaia Cross has the better effect stapled on, and allows a Tauntaliator to keep doing damage with things other than their autoattack.

In the current state of things, unless you have an Earth Imperil (Guy and Yang say hi!) or an Enearth (appropriately enough, like the one Ingus is getting on banner 2 of the same event that gives us Gaia Cross... except that BSB also gives him draw fire so the incidental effect of Gaia Cross is rendered moot) then you will almost always lose damage jumping to Gaia Cross from Saint Cross. There's too many Holy boosts and too many Holy-weak things out there.

Plus there's the fact that if you're a Knight 5 not named Ingus, you are far more likely to get gear that beefs up Saint Cross than Gaia Cross.
Gaia Cross does deal more damage than his sentinel command. It also doesn't draw magic like sentinel does, which might actually be a blessing in some situations. It wouldn't interfere with Celes Indomitable Blade, for example.

At the cost of taking up a slot and not having nonelemental as a secondary damage type but hey

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Zurai posted:

Worse damage, VASTLY higher utility. It grants +200% Defense (this is literally the same boost to Defense that Sentinel's Grimoire and Stoneskin II give) to the user and attracts all PHY and BLK single-target or random-target attacks. Immensely, immensely useful. The "utility" on Saint Cross, meanwhile, is almost nonesistent. Low regen is more of a drawback than a benefit with how common party-wide high regen is, and self-Esuna literally only matters for Blind (and it happens after the attack, so you're gonna miss those hits anyway).
wait, does Gaia Cross grant Sentinel or Draw Fire? I was under the impression it was Draw Fire, which is +100% defense and doesn't attract magic?

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Nihilarian posted:

wait, does Gaia Cross grant Sentinel or Draw Fire? I was under the impression it was Draw Fire, which is +100% defense and doesn't attract magic?

Enlir's says Gaia's Cross triggers Draw Fire, you're right unless the spreadsheet is mistaken.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Since nobody mentioned Tornado Strike, I take it it's not all that useful outside of niche situations? I've got Cloud's en-wind SB and his OSB, so I probably don't really *need* much else against enemies with wind weaknesses, I guess.

Since nobody else did comment on it, Tornado Strike is just fine, especially if you have any items that let you boost the damage. It's solid two-hit AoE for an elemental school that is hard to hit with AoE.

But I wouldn't call it a high priority because of the orbs it uses. Power, Black and Wind all have a ton of competition, especially wind (Thief's Revenge, Saint Cross, Powerchain, Full Charge, Chain Thundaga, etc.) Also it's still more common to need high single target damage, rather than AoE, so I'd probably prioritize something like Saint Cross or Thief's Revenge over it.

(edit) That said, I'd ask the question "What character makes my A-Team without fail?" and see if there's a 5* ability worth investing in there. Got a great Knight? Then Saint Cross is a good option. Got a Thief that makes your team without a fail? Thief's Revenge is good. Etc. It's a shame Cloud doesn't have native Spellblade 5*, or I'd actually recommend Tornado Strike more then.

Attestant fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Nov 23, 2016

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Attestant posted:

(edit) That said, I'd ask the question "What character makes my A-Team without fail?" and see if there's a 5* ability worth investing in there. Got a great Knight? Then Saint Cross is a good option. Got a Thief that makes your team without a fail? Thief's Revenge is good. Etc. It's a shame Cloud doesn't have native Spellblade 5*, or I'd actually recommend Tornado Strike more then.

Tornado Strike is still fantastic for Bartz runners and people who have a good enough Cloud that he earns Record Sphere privileges. Celes prefers Snowspell Strike, what with not having an Enwind and being able to fuel low hones with Runic/Indomitable.

Similar to the above tips, if you have a good monk SB and a bunch of mage SBs, consider Meteor Crash as a priority - it makes your monk self-sufficient in mage teams without any need to try to fit in a Boost skill.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
In other topics, I am going to lose my mind waiting for the Black Friday lucky draw, while not pulling on the OK banner right away.

I just want to splurge now. :shepface:

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Attestant posted:

In other topics, I am going to lose my mind waiting for the Black Friday lucky draw, while not pulling on the OK banner right away.

Only 48 hours left to wait! Provided the lucky draw opens at midnight PST like it did last year, anyway.

I'm mentally preparing myself to get Tiny Bee and nothing else.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Attestant posted:

Honestly, the more I look at it, the more I'm okay with it, pun not intended.

Yeah, OK's BSB is basically the holy grail of the banner, and both Arc SSB2 and OK SSB are good, top-shelf items, but I find myself unimpressed with Luneth's BSB what with Kain's BSB being right over there, and everything else is gradually showing its age.

On the other hand, Ingus's BSB is basically an earth-coded take on Gilgamesh's, Refia's BSB is just as broken as OK's if not moreso, OK's Tailwind wannabe is there, and even Desch's imperil-lightning has some utility if you've pulled a bunch of poo poo like Ashe BSB or Lightning's...pretty much anything.

Banner 2 is looking more and more appealing the more I look at it, and if I have to choose only one banner to pull on (ideally, I'd do both and the Black Friday draw) I'd probably gun for 2.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Grozz Nuy posted:

Only 48 hours left to wait! Provided the lucky draw opens at midnight PST like it did last year, anyway.

I'm mentally preparing myself to get Tiny Bee and nothing else.

I feel like I'd be happier getting Tiny Bee than some of the other first-gen BSBs, like Terra's Stardust Rod or Balthier's Gatling Gun.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I feel like I'd be happier getting Tiny Bee than some of the other first-gen BSBs, like Terra's Stardust Rod or Balthier's Gatling Gun.

Sad part is that Gatling Gun isn't a "first-gen" BSB, it's just Machinist-themed when Machinist itself is a skillset with a very narrow and situational set of uses in high-end content. It doesn't provide the mitigation of stat buffs/debuffs like a Support BSB, the healing of a White Mage BSB, or the raw damage of later physical BSBs, so even if it's a great way to land status, it's just... status almost never is applicable.

And honestly, I'd rather any BSB but Lulu's. She got shafted amazingly hard in the Seymour event.

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'd be okay getting Balthier's Betelgeuse because more stuff for the Gun-users is okay in my book...

And really, my worst case scenario would be only getting a Dupe of Terra's Rod, so any other BSB would be really welcome at this point.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

KataraniSword posted:

Sad part is that Gatling Gun isn't a "first-gen" BSB, it's just Machinist-themed when Machinist itself is a skillset with a very narrow and situational set of uses in high-end content. It doesn't provide the mitigation of stat buffs/debuffs like a Support BSB, the healing of a White Mage BSB, or the raw damage of later physical BSBs, so even if it's a great way to land status, it's just... status almost never is applicable.

And honestly, I'd rather any BSB but Lulu's. She got shafted amazingly hard in the Seymour event.

It's probably saying something that Edgar is the only other 'Machinist' BSB. They probably haven't really figured out how to properly do one yet, and Laguna/Mustadio are the only full Machinists left. Quistis actually does the status affliction role just as well as Edgar and better than Balthier if you don't need to spread it around, between her BSB and OSB, as well as access to Stop, Blindga, Intimidate, and potentially Slowga. She has to rely on the crappier versions of Sleep/Poison, but that's about it.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's probably saying something that Edgar is the only other 'Machinist' BSB. They probably haven't really figured out how to properly do one yet, and Laguna/Mustadio are the only full Machinists left. Quistis actually does the status affliction role just as well as Edgar and better than Balthier if you don't need to spread it around, between her BSB and OSB, as well as access to Stop, Blindga, Intimidate, and potentially Slowga. She has to rely on the crappier versions of Sleep/Poison, but that's about it.

One of my main complaints with the game is that the skillsets they've added, starting with Machinist, have been very poorly fleshed out and basically consist of "Here's some niche 4-5 star skills only a couple dudes can use", even in situations where existing skills could be moved to a different skillset. Leg Shot is still a Celerity skill when it would make more sense as Machinist or Sharpshooter, for instance. They need to figure out a way to make status effects viable too, even if only gimmicky poo poo like "Boss is vulnerable to Stop, but only when preparing to cast Fuckja XVI".

KataraniSword posted:

Honestly, the more I look at it, the more I'm okay with it, pun not intended.

Yeah, OK's BSB is basically the holy grail of the banner, and both Arc SSB2 and OK SSB are good, top-shelf items, but I find myself unimpressed with Luneth's BSB what with Kain's BSB being right over there, and everything else is gradually showing its age.

On the other hand, Ingus's BSB is basically an earth-coded take on Gilgamesh's, Refia's BSB is just as broken as OK's if not moreso, OK's Tailwind wannabe is there, and even Desch's imperil-lightning has some utility if you've pulled a bunch of poo poo like Ashe BSB or Lightning's...pretty much anything.

Banner 2 is looking more and more appealing the more I look at it, and if I have to choose only one banner to pull on (ideally, I'd do both and the Black Friday draw) I'd probably gun for 2.

Refia's BSB is some of the highest damage output of physical BSBs but I'm not sure how that compares to having an excuse to use OK in your party 100% of the time given how good his stats and skillset are. Luneth's BSB may not be super impressive but it still hits hard and has Stun utility both on use and with command 1, along with command 2 having +ATK/-RES (and Luneth has access to Dark Bargain to stack +ATK/-DEF on top of that). *both* of Arc's SSBs are great, not just the new one, and even Ingus's SB still great. I think banner 1 is a lot stronger overall than banner 2, which just has a lot of uninspiring damage SBs. Having saved up a ton of mythril for this, I'm definitely planning on using banner 1 to fill out my synergy over banner 2, unless I get OK's gauntlets on my first pull.

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Nov 23, 2016

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I have no issue with the Stardust Rod, I needed to replace the Enhancer+ anyway due to it being way outdated :v:. As long as it helps Terra continue being a murder machine in FFVI realms I'm cool with it.

Again, I 'd like to draw Rydia's and Quistis' BSBs, cmon DeNA be cool to your ol' pal Armitage.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Quistis' BSB isn't out til the following Sunday. Gotta earn that the old fashioned way. :v:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
The FF8 event timing is really unfortunate. I'd love to pull for some more Anti-Ifrit gear, but being sandwhiched between OK, Lucky Draws and XIV? Booo.

Attestant fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 23, 2016

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

ApplesandOranges posted:

Quistis' BSB isn't out til the following Sunday. Gotta earn that the old fashioned way. :v:

Dang it!

Well, it shouldn't be hard to have the mythril for a pull by then. Isn't the next FF8 event the one with the next available OSB?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Armitage posted:

Dang it!

Well, it shouldn't be hard to have the mythril for a pull by then. Isn't the next FF8 event the one with the next available OSB?

Two, actually; Squall's on banner 1, Rinoa's on banner 2. It's basically the start of the 1 OSB + 2 BSB + 4 SSB + 1 SB + 1 non-SB format.

Reminder that Black Lucky Draw is this Friday as well, and the Buff Lucky Draw's probably gonna pop up any week now.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 23, 2016

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
The proper use of Gaia Cross is on a Knight with a good soul Break and Lionheart RM. Unless it's Beatrix's SSB, you still equip holy gear, you just weave in a less powerful Gaia Cross every three rounds or so.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

ApplesandOranges posted:

Two, actually; Squall's on banner 1, Rinoa's on banner 2. It's basically the start of the 1 OSB + 2 BSB + 4 SSB + 1 SB + 1 non-SB format.

Reminder that Black Lucky Draw is this Friday as well, and the Buff Lucky Draw's probably gonna pop up any week now.

Yeah, that's a lot of mythril to spend! I have been fortunate with Cloud and Tidus so far so it's worth a shot to try for Squall and/or Rinoa. Squall definitely needs something new. Revolver is old!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Multiplayer hypothetical question: if I were to stick Ramza in the back row with an instrument so that he could do Shout and Full Break, would I be better off gearing him for Attack to get a bit more damage in, or Mind so that Shout's Hastega lasts longer?

For what it's worth, front row is gonna be Vaan spamming Ark Blast and its Burst Commands with the occasional Mug Bloodlust or Thief's Revenge as needed.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Also a reminder that I believe a bonus Mythril announcement was dug up along with the Black Friday Burst banner. I don't believe it was going to be a full 25 Mythril or anything, but it was more than just one or two extra.

Edit:

That one.

LornMarkus fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 23, 2016

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
10 days, 5 mythril per login. Gimme.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

paperwind posted:

Goon parties will need to be organized for this. I'm not wasting my precious stamina on pubbie plebs.

PLEBBIES!

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Attestant posted:

10 days, 5 mythril per login. Gimme.

Oh yeah, means I'll have enough to pull on one of the OSB Fest banners while still being on track for 3 potential pulls on Minfilia 1.

Now I just have to decide if I want to pull on Banner 1 with Terra's OSB and all the mage stuff, or Banner 3 with Vaan's OSB and a much better set of physical party stuff.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

How should I be looking to construct a physical team beyond having dudes that hit physically?

Right now I'm running

- Cloud and Tidus because I have their OSBs (and the Golden Hairpin, in Tidus' case)
- Faris for her BSB
- A medica WHM. Aerith currently, because I have her Reraise SSB. Alternatively I have Lenna's Pride of Tycoon SSB, but they're the only two I have right now.
- a random 5th. Right now I'm using Hope to master his BSB.

Turns out I got Paine's Hastega SSB in a dollar pull at some point and promptly forgot about it. I figure in the short term she'd fit pretty well as my fifth so I have a hastega plus access to Knight abilities.

In an ideal world I pull OK's BSB this week. I won't, but it would be perfect. Otherwise I keep RWing Shout, which still leaves me with decent damage, but means I have to continue choosing between Shout and Wall for my RW.

I do also have Sazh's 30% Boostga, but I'm not sure it makes up for losing Hastega or, alternatively, benching Cloud or Tidus. Surely one of those is worth more than the 30% buff?

The Tyro trifecta banner is always an option long-term if I have lovely luck and want a few shots at a Wall or Ramza's stuff, but I refuse to use any mythril on that in the middle of the madness of current banners.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Ditch Cloud, bring in Quina and Paine, go HAM for Onion, if you get him, bring back Cloud.

(That Golden Hairpin that you glossed over is a 50% Boostga. Also, it drops frogs all over your enemies and it owns. Frogs own. :getin:)

The difference in damage between Paine's SSB and Cloud's OSB is ~3-4x worth of multiplier. You'll more than make up for that on most fights with access to better skills and utility (Saint's Cross, Gaia Cross + Lionheart + Gun in backrow combos), plus having a Hastega around. Quina's can run Armor Breakdown and Power or Magic Breakdown for damage, or you could even give it Wrath/Entrust to feed damage through Tidus

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 23, 2016

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Wilekat posted:

I do also have Sazh's 30% Boostga, but I'm not sure it makes up for losing Hastega or, alternatively, benching Cloud or Tidus. Surely one of those is worth more than the 30% buff?

The Tyro trifecta banner is always an option long-term if I have lovely luck and want a few shots at a Wall or Ramza's stuff, but I refuse to use any mythril on that in the middle of the madness of current banners.

Keep in mind that 30% boostga will stack with either Maria's Song or OK BSB since those are ATK/MAG buffs. So you could use Sazh and RW OK BSB and get a 60% ATK buff.

Alternatively you could use the Quina buff as CaptainPsyko just mentioned, but overall Sazh is to me a better character particularly since you can backrow him and still do some damage. Also with the 50% boost + stacking 30/30 ATK/MAG buff you will probably not get much additional ATK out of the extra 20% since you'll likely be above the ATK softcap anyway.

Now if you plan to RW Wall I would definitely use Quina for the 50% buff.

flowinprose fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 23, 2016

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

flowinprose posted:

Keep in mind that 30% boostga will stack with either Maria's Song or OK BSB since those are ATK/MAG buffs. So you could use Sazh and RW OK BSB and get a 60% ATK buff.

Alternatively you could use the Quina buff as CaptainPsyko just mentioned, but overall Sazh is to me a better character particularly since you can backrow him and still do some damage. Also with the 50% boost + stacking 30/30 ATK/MAG buff you will probably not get much additional ATK out of the extra 20% since you'll likely be above the ATK softcap anyway.

Now if you plan to RW Wall I would definitely use Quina for her 50% buff.

I don't know that Sazh is actually better than Quina unless you have a synergy gun or the enemy is debuff vulnerable where Mech skills come into play. And if you only have one synergy gun, giving it to Paine with Gaia Cross and Lionheart is almost certainly better.

The fact that Sazh has White 3 versus Quina's Combat 3 feels like a wash of worthlessness on both sides.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Oh poo poo, I really did gloss over the Hairpin, huh. Teaches me for just seeing the minmax chat about "stick all the +water on Tidus! Big numbers!" and missing the big picture.

I'm all for using Quina. Quina owns.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I've got Dr. Mog's Teachings and Mako Might, and they've been really helpful in getting some U and U+ clears. Are there any other RMs that you guys would consider useful enough to level a character that's not on my A-team? Right now I'm running with Aeris, Fran, Tyro, Celes, and Greg.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

I've got Dr. Mog's Teachings and Mako Might, and they've been really helpful in getting some U and U+ clears. Are there any other RMs that you guys would consider useful enough to level a character that's not on my A-team? Right now I'm running with Aeris, Fran, Tyro, Celes, and Greg.

If you have more good SBs, consider leveling Tidus and Ramza for Ace Striker and Battleforged respectively - they increase the amount of gauge charge gained per action.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

CaptainPsyko posted:

I don't know that Sazh is actually better than Quina unless you have a synergy gun or the enemy is debuff vulnerable where Mech skills come into play. And if you only have one synergy gun, giving it to Paine with Gaia Cross and Lionheart is almost certainly better.

The fact that Sazh has White 3 versus Quina's Combat 3 feels like a wash of worthlessness on both sides.

Quina has slightly better stats, actually, but Sazh has more versatility in his skillset and can equip a ranged weapon. Also don't underestimate the utility of WHT 3, you can use it to cast quite a few useful spells when the situation calls for it: Faith, Haste, Reflect, Dispel, or Esuna (or any other debuff specific cure). I think this makes Sazh a better character all other things being equal. Don't forget that machinist 5 also gives him access to bio grenade which gives him a very useable AOE option when needed.

Quina's only added skill option as you mentioned is combat 3 vs. Sazh combat 2, which basically grants you nothing but breaks which wouldn't make any sense to bring anyway on a support 5 character who can equip breakdowns.

I don't understand why Sazh got left off of the list of SharpShooter users.

flowinprose fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 23, 2016

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
Note that "consider" in this scenario means "work into your calendar", you may not need them right away but you'll want them eventually. I would say your leveling priority should be the people you actually use, then Tidus and Ramza.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

So excited for tonight. I cannot wait until Friday to pull, and I'm gonna have around 225 mythril anyway. I could do at least two pulls now just to keep myself sated.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

% Damage with (Weapon/Skill) RMs are always good if you don't have them, especially Holy Knight's Pride from Agrias, which like Unbreakable Spellblade from Celes is a 30% damage boost. Ace Striker/Battleforged from Tidus/Ramza are always good picks, along with Knight's Charge or Lionheart from Steiner and Squall on AoE-heavy fights or on a taunter. Definitely get Devotion from Vivi if you don't have it yet, as it is still even in the JP version of the game the strongest magic-damage boosting RM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Thanks. Also, do Celes's burst commands count as spellblade abilities?

• Locked thread