Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Fenarisk posted:

I'm officially done with Traktor Pro 2. There is no rhyme or reason to why recordings get hosed up. SAME settings/DB level, sometimes it records fine, sometimes quiet, most of the time god awful feedback and distortion like I played the set in a microwave. Every time it comes through the speakers fine but on recordings it's a god drat disaster 50% of the time, which sucks after getting a set down for an hour.

I'm having some issues too, for my next recording I'll try and turn the gain down and then level it later in a wave editor.

Here's a new mix from today that I think came out okay, levels and otherwise ;) Deep House and Melodic Techno

https://www.mixcloud.com/wayfinder/ehaus-20161114/

code:
1 - 16 Bit Lolitas ft. Lucy Iris - Stardust - Anjunadeep
2 - Olderic & Peter Pardeike - Connaisseur - Connaisseur Recordings
3 - Seb Dhajje - Calista Nantes - Anjunadeep
4 - Lane 8 - Klara (Theo Kottis Remix) - Anjunadeep
5 - Fabio Montana & Danito & Athina - Get Away (Tim Engelhardt Remix) - Exotic Refreshment
6 - Dezza - Meekix (LTN Remix) - Silk Selections
7 - Meramek - Know Me (Thomas Schwartz & Fausto Fanizza Remix) - Anjunadeep
8 - Lane 8 ft. Matthew Dear - Undercover (Yotto Remix) - Anjunadeep
9 - 16 Bit Lolitas - Not The Only One - Anjunadeep
10 - Teho - Arif - Parquet Recordings
11 - Chris Micali & Ali Ajami & Matt Wasley - You Dont Need It (Micali Dub) - Caffeine Records
12 - rktic - Spin Drier (Breitbannt Edit) - realaudio.ch

wayfinder fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

wayfinder posted:

I'm having some issues too, for my next recording I'll try and turn the gain down and then level it later in a wave editor.

Here's a new mix from today that I think came out okay, levels and otherwise ;) Deep House and Melodic Techno

Last time I had levels real low and you can barely hear it, turned it up 2 DB and tested fine. Recorded an hour and it's completely distorted. Tried again recording for 15 minutes, same settings, and it's fine.

Edit: As an update I installed a new driver for the DDJ-SX that came out last month for Windows 10 apparently, and updated Traktor. First mix came out fine, we'll see in a day or two.

Fenarisk fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 16, 2016

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
This one's recorded at -2dB gain, but the waveform didn't look much different. I'll go to -4 and try again next time.

https://www.mixcloud.com/wayfinder/ehaus-20161116/ (techno, tech house, progressive house)

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Well of course the first mix was fine, tried it today with the EXACT same settings and songs are randomly distorted, some that weren't the first few times either, and sometimes half the song is fine and the other half isn't I give up.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Maybe something's going awry with the stored gain settings on analyzed tracks? You could try and re-analyze the gain on a few of the tracks that were affected, see if the number changes...

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

wayfinder posted:

Maybe something's going awry with the stored gain settings on analyzed tracks? You could try and re-analyze the gain on a few of the tracks that were affected, see if the number changes...

I need to clean up my library and get some of some old songs anyway, I may just re analyze everything as I haven't tried that. Thanks.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Man Pioneer are realllllllllllllllllllllllllllll bad at honouring warranties on their products. Even worse than that though is the fact it takes them 2 weeks to even reply to the digital form they make you fill in. "oh we didn't get it because it went to a different department" despite the fact the email confirmation it sends you says it went direct to Pioneer DJ.

Over here in the UK we have a lot of fun rights when it comes to buying goods, if it goes tits up in 12 months you talk to the place you bought it from and the problem is theirs. After that (and in my case) you talk to the manufacturer and in Pioneer's case they're trying to wriggle out of this responsibility.

A poop company who sell you all the expensive poo poo then run away and ignore you when it goes wrong.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Yeah for the cost markup on DJ equipment it's amazing how poor the support is. It's not just pioneer either, seems to be the entire industry.

It's one of the reasons I got an S2 over an S4. Spending $400 with the real chance of losing the entire value is a much better choice than spending $1000 or whatever those dang things cost now, and possibly losing it all.

I don't buy DJ equipment with any expectation of warranty assistance. It means they lose out on higher ticket sales from me.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

mitztronic posted:

It's one of the reasons I got an S2 over an S4. Spending $400 with the real chance of losing the entire value is a much better choice than spending $1000 or whatever those dang things cost now, and possibly losing it all.

That became a super smart move with NI saying "Hey if you move to the new Mac OS you're sound on a S4 is gonna break up and we don't know why and we're not going to do anything" :mad:

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

NeuroticErotica posted:

That became a super smart move with NI saying "Hey if you move to the new Mac OS you're sound on a S4 is gonna break up and we don't know why and we're not going to do anything" :mad:

Hmm, when was this? I have an s4 and picked up a MacBook recently, haven't noticed the sound breaking up yet but haven't really had much of a chance to use it a great deal yet. Is this a definite thing and I'd be better off shifting back to the previous version of OS X, or just a possible thing?

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Maw posted:

Hmm, when was this? I have an s4 and picked up a MacBook recently, haven't noticed the sound breaking up yet but haven't really had much of a chance to use it a great deal yet. Is this a definite thing and I'd be better off shifting back to the previous version of OS X, or just a possible thing?

It's for Sierra. If it's an S4 MK2 you're fine. If it's a MK1 (like mine) they say that your sound will break up (but some people have said it's fine?) but either way, it's no longer supported at all by NI.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Welp, I think my DJ laptop just bricked. it's a 2011 MacBook Pro 15" (8,2). last night while I was putting together another OPS mix the screen turned to a grey checkered pattern and when I started up again it hung on a grey screen.

Anyone see a MBP do this before? Looking around it looks like it might be a graphics issue. Too bad, I just pimped the machine out with an SSD too. Oh well, I've got a backup laptop and Im going to MacDoc tomorrow anyway.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

NeuroticErotica posted:

It's for Sierra. If it's an S4 MK2 you're fine. If it's a MK1 (like mine) they say that your sound will break up (but some people have said it's fine?) but either way, it's no longer supported at all by NI.

Ah, rad, I'm on a MK2. Sucks about the Mk1 though :(

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Mister Speaker posted:

Welp, I think my DJ laptop just bricked. it's a 2011 MacBook Pro 15" (8,2). last night while I was putting together another OPS mix the screen turned to a grey checkered pattern and when I started up again it hung on a grey screen.

Anyone see a MBP do this before? Looking around it looks like it might be a graphics issue. Too bad, I just pimped the machine out with an SSD too. Oh well, I've got a backup laptop and Im going to MacDoc tomorrow anyway.

Yeah, sounds like an issue with the graphics card - when this happened to me, they had to replace the entire logic board, but repairs are capped at $315 or something so it wasn't atrocious.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

I recently switched from using Traktor on windows to macOS, and I've noticed that if I select tracks and click 'analyse (async)', even if I explicitly tell it to set the beatgrid it doesn't get it correct:

Pressing the 'auto' button on the grid tab below the loaded track however does get it

Previously analysing and setting the beat grid that way usually worked, although I'd usually go through after and make sure. Is this a known thing for macOS Traktor, or Sierra, etc?

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
I usually bring 3 backup methods (USB, CDs, computer and emergency mixer) but had a really weird problem the time I didn't bring cds or an extra mini mixer. Plugged in my USB to cdj 2000s and the song displayed waveform correctly but only heard grumbling static. Same problem with the laptop at first. Don't even know what I did but ended up getting the laptop working afterward. Haven't had much luck googling the problem and I'm terrified of that happening at a gig where I don't have time to troubleshoot. Any idea on what might have caused that?

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone have experience with the generic M44 styli available on ebay/alibaba? You can find them for like $5-15. I'm talking stuff like this:
https://www.matelectronics.com/audio/needles-cartridges/shure-n-44-stylus/
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shure-N44-7...%3D231758214091

For whatever reason the price for an OEM Shure Stylus jumped way up in price from $25 to like $45 in the last 6 months or so, otherwise I wouldn't even consider it.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Looks sketch. I would use em on timecodes provided they didn't skip, but not actual records.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Hay you guys... I've been asleep since about 2011 so help me out. I currently use Serato Scratch Live and turntables. However, the new monthly I'm doing doesn't have any setup (other than amp and speakers) and I don't want to bring my turntables out anymore, so looking for a more mobile solution.

I'm just doing two tracks, don't need any effects, but ideally "vinyl-like" control just because that's what I'm used to. This place is also a shithole so I don't care a whole lot about sound quality. I would like to keep using serato scratch live so that I don't have to maintain two separate libraries.

What thing should I get?

Balloon Time Hooray!
Apr 18, 2007
Maybe you're not an ugly human being but a good looking ape... with exceptional verbal skills.

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

What thing should I get?

Maybe pickup the older 2 channel Numark NS7? It's a controller with spinning platters. SSL has been discontinued so it's going to be hard to find something that works with it. Serato DJ replaced SSL.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Balloon Time Hooray! posted:

Maybe pickup the older 2 channel Numark NS7? It's a controller with spinning platters. SSL has been discontinued so it's going to be hard to find something that works with it. Serato DJ replaced SSL.

Ugh, it's a good idea but the hardware is riddled with problems. I'd be careful getting an NS7.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
See if you can find a Vestax VCI380. It doesn't have motorized platters but they have weight and freewheel pretty drat well so they're really not that bad. It's also supported with Serato DJ.

edit: Serato DJ and SSL share the same database so switching between the two is mega-easy.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Balloon Time Hooray! posted:

What's the learning curve from serato dj to ssl? Is it basically the same? can I use serato dj with sl3?

edit I see the answer is "super easy"

TheWevel posted:

edit: Serato DJ and SSL share the same database so switching between the two is mega-easy.

Dans Macabre fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 6, 2016

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
The SL3 works with both SSL and DJ, but I would stick with SSL while using it. DJ always acted weird with the SL3. I don't know if it's ever been fixed.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Looking to update to a new computer for use with Traktor Pro 2 and an S2. OP says to go Mac; that was five years ago, though. Is that still the way to go, and if so, do I need a MacBook Pro or will an Air do? Does it matter anymore? What kind of specs should I shoot for? The requirements listing for Traktor is a bit optimistic.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

guppy posted:

Looking to update to a new computer for use with Traktor Pro 2 and an S2. OP says to go Mac; that was five years ago, though. Is that still the way to go, and if so, do I need a MacBook Pro or will an Air do? Does it matter anymore? What kind of specs should I shoot for? The requirements listing for Traktor is a bit optimistic.

I run Traktor on a 2012 Macbook Air and it handles it without breaking a sweat.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I wouldn't touch a PC for serious gigging. Imagine being on stage and your PC decides it is time for an update. If you were to totally lock it down you would be just fine, but why bother when you can just get a Mac and hit a single checkbox to disable auto-installing updates. Also there are thousands of things in the Windows ecosystem that can steal app focus and cause you to gently caress up.

I would get a cheap Macbook with an SSD and call it a day.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Sounds good, thanks.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
You can get good deals on macbooks in SA mart. They're generally being sold for $100-200 below (what I've seen for macbook pros, specifically) what they go on ebay, sometimes more.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

MacBooks from the Apple refurb store are also just as good as new though you might have to wait for them to be in stock.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

skull mask mcgee posted:

MacBooks from the Apple refurb store are also just as good as new though you might have to wait for them to be in stock.

This really is the way to go

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

TheWevel posted:

The SL3 works with both SSL and DJ, but I would stick with SSL while using it. DJ always acted weird with the SL3. I don't know if it's ever been fixed.

ok... I assume I can have them installed in tandem

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Yes.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Anyone have any recommendations for alternatives to beatport for assorted electronica? Since their merger of chill out and electronica I've been unable to really use the site in the way I used to. I've been in contact with their support department to add a new filter (i.e. to remove all of the "chill out" that they merged into it). So far haven't heard anything back about them actually doing it, and I'm starting to lose my mind trying to work in their new system and it's just not working for me.

I'm trying to find a music site that has all the misc-type electronic sorted away from 'big' genres (i.e. house, techno, trance, and so forth). This would be music like tycho, bonobo, rufus (to name some big names), and indie electronica bands like godwolf, froogle, IISO, LEO ISLO. Things that dont fit into a standardized genre.

It's a shame 'cause i've almost been exclusively using beatport for 10 years now. I still don't have a loving clue why they would merge a huge (400,000+ sound catalog) with a smaller genre that was clearly different.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Are there any good video tutorials for getting started DJing? I started watching a few on youtube and didn't like any of them. I'd like something that introduces music theory stuff and goes from there.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

huhu posted:

Are there any good video tutorials for getting started DJing? I started watching a few on youtube and didn't like any of them. I'd like something that introduces music theory stuff and goes from there.

What are you looking for with regards to music theory in DJing? The only thing that's really musical is the keys of two songs mixing together, and for starting out, I'd say that's less important than beatmatching/mixing/phrasing.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Edit: Nevermind.

Thanks!

huhu fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 20, 2016

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
As someone who literally got their first DJ controller in the mail just yesterday, I would say just look up tutorials for the specific hardware/software you have first. I got a DDJ-SB2 and I just looked up videos of how to use it properly with Serato. Some good, some not so good, but most go through the basics of how to beatmatch as a matter of course.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

dropkickpikachu posted:

As someone who literally got their first DJ controller in the mail just yesterday, I would say just look up tutorials for the specific hardware/software you have first. I got a DDJ-SB2 and I just looked up videos of how to use it properly with Serato. Some good, some not so good, but most go through the basics of how to beatmatch as a matter of course.

Have to echo this. Music theory isn't really going to help you start DJing nearly as much as learning then ins and outs of whatever controller and software you are using and then practicing beatmatching.

Listen to mixes from DJs you like to get ideas on how to transition between tracks. It doesn't hurt to even practice mixing the same tracks they are to gauge yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Music theory for DJing is basically learning what song structure is, to a lesser extent the key they're in.

For dance music you need to know what bars and phrases are and that it's super rare for them not to work in 8s, 16s and 32s.

I've had a quick look but this one is pretty decent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhXbeATp9Ac