Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Keyser S0ze posted:

gently caress You Golf. :flip: :suicide:

I posted about shooting even par for 9 for the first time on this page (edit: last page), didn't have enough daylight to play 18. If I did, I'm confident that this is exactly what would have happened to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
T-Rex tees. Four over after 4. Five over after 18. Perfect weather, good ball striking, but gave back every birdie with a bogey on the next hole. Maddening. 10 of 13 fairways, 11 of 13 greens, only 3 of 5 greens on the par 3s. Birdied one 3, one 4, one 5.

IMG_20161110_190913 by B. B., on Flickr

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

ironlung posted:

I posted about shooting even par for 9 for the first time on this page (edit: last page), didn't have enough daylight to play 18. If I did, I'm confident that this is exactly what would have happened to me.

I mostly just ran out of patience and started putting drives in the rough and it didn't help that the greens on the back 9 at this place are notorious for different speeds since the course was a mishmash of two 18's blended together. Every pin position was also on a crown of some sort and the greens were running fast and downhill 5 footers would be 12 foot comebackers....and so on.

I'm still enjoying the Srixon z745's I got earlier this year but I did mix in a 565 6 iron which is a loving BEAST. Holy poo poo.

DJExile posted:

ohhhhhhh god :gonk:

I want to buy you a drink for that front nine.
and another drink for that back nine.

I only had 3 beers but should have definitely drank more. :guinness:

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I shot a 44-32 yesterday, with a birdie on the first hole. Things went sideways in a hurry after that but I salvaged the round on the back. I'm going to say it was mostly because I had no beers on the front and it was still a little chilly.

Today is supposed to be sunny and nearly 60 again but I'm stuck at work all day. Going from a flexible 32 hour job to full time is really annoying when it gets dark by 5:00. Once next spring rolls around I should be able to play for a few hours every evening again but until then I'm going to suffer. On the other hand, I'm looking for a new apartment now and trying to find one that will accommodate a Skytrak so future winters may be more bearable...

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Suprfli6 posted:

I shot a 44-32 yesterday, with a birdie on the first hole. Things went sideways in a hurry after that but I salvaged the round on the back. I'm going to say it was mostly because I had no beers on the front and it was still a little chilly.

Today is supposed to be sunny and nearly 60 again but I'm stuck at work all day. Going from a flexible 32 hour job to full time is really annoying when it gets dark by 5:00. Once next spring rolls around I should be able to play for a few hours every evening again but until then I'm going to suffer. On the other hand, I'm looking for a new apartment now and trying to find one that will accommodate a Skytrak so future winters may be more bearable...

A 32 on any 9 is more than salvaging, that's spectacular :stare:

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Yeah the only green I missed was the uphill par 5, I had a crappy lie for my third shot and put it over the back which is absolutely the worst place to be because you're short-sided and the green runs away from you. Hit a perfect flop shot that left me a tap in for par. Usually I'm somewhere around even par on the front and drop a few shots on the back so this was a really weird round.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Some little kid interviewed Rory and it's goddamn hilarious

quote:

As for Tiger, Billy asks, "If I meet him, should I ask him for career advice or chat-up lines?"
"Chat-up lines," McIlroy responds. "He's been pretty successful in both areas."

lmao

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
My golf game has regressed back to where it was at the beginning of the year. I still think that natural talent is the most important factor for golf.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

daslog posted:

My golf game has regressed back to where it was at the beginning of the year. I still think that natural talent is the most important factor for golf.

Nah, I have amazing flexibility and great hand eye coordination and I am complete garbage

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Sataere posted:

Nah, I have amazing flexibility and great hand eye coordination and I am complete garbage

:same:

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Try changing your swing after 20 years of being a semi-decent golfer. It was all talent and hand eye coordination but that meant so much inconsistency. My old swing looks terrible.

Slowly coming together but it will take around 6 months to get rid of my bad habits.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I need a better way to get feedback on my swing. One of the hardest parts of golf for me is figuring out what is going wrong.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
$50 a lesson I get a bucket of ~100 golf balls and a PGA Pro watching every shot providing feedback. Pretty good value. Honestly some of the stuff he's observed and changed I would have never known.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Jordan just won the Australian Open, finishing really strong.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
I don't mind a yank winning our Open when it's a gentleman like that. What a top bloke.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
First time playing this course. It was designed by a particularly sadistic man by the name of A.W Tillinghast and has been private forever but they started offering some golfshot deals.

Every hole has an elevation change, all the greens are undulating, small and have a general slope to them, fairways are sloped as well. Despite its length, it might be the hardest course in town. Had a blast playing here, but it is hard, fast and unforgiving.

Nasty rear end par 3 uphill. Green slopes hard to the front. I hit the front and it rolled off and 30 yards down the hill.

Showed 190 yards on the card but it played over 220 with wind and elevation, FROM THE WHITES. Blues are north of 240.

e: please let me know if I'm ruining tables and ill fix. I got a 4k monitor recently and I'm not used to it.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 20, 2016

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

My home course is like that. Looking at the yardage you'd figure it's a joke but unless you play right after a downpour when the greens are still soaked it is very tough to score on.

I wanted to order more KSig balls today but apparently the Costco site only had them for the morning before running out of stock again. gently caress. On the other hand we went from 70 and sunny on Saturday to 30 with 12-15 inches of snow on the ground today so I suppose there's no rush on getting golf balls.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Suprfli6 posted:

My home course is like that. Looking at the yardage you'd figure it's a joke but unless you play right after a downpour when the greens are still soaked it is very tough to score on.

I wanted to order more KSig balls today but apparently the Costco site only had them for the morning before running out of stock again. gently caress. On the other hand we went from 70 and sunny on Saturday to 30 with 12-15 inches of snow on the ground today so I suppose there's no rush on getting golf balls.

I got lucky and got an order of 3 boxes in, should last me a while. Short week holiday week this week and dad is coming down from NC for turkey day. Early Friday morning tee time and then we got 36 planned for saturday!

Played sunday morning and it only got up to about 60, my back did not like that one bit. Supposed to be back up into the mid 70's this weekend though :)

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Yeah we had a freeze warning last night in Tally. Not fun.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

*flips all of you off from northwest ohio*

:mad:

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
Got an interesting event this weekend coming up. Texas Ambrose is what they are calling it so each hit a tee shot, then hit the other persons 2nd shot then pick the best from there alternate stroke. Seems interesting however they have added another fun element, a three club + putter limit.

Don't know if any of you have played event similar but looking for advice on club selection, it's not a super long course so I was thinking 3 Utility, 7 Iron and 50 degree wedge with the putter. My thought process is that there is no point carrying a driver when it can only be hit off the tee and I don't bag any fairway woods normally so the 21 degree utility iron would be best for tee shots and long second shots(which I see occurring as I'm partnering my dad who doesn't have much power these days) 7 iron im wavering between that and an 8 iron which is a better length for he par 3s on the course. 50 degree wedge should do the job I need closer in as I can hit it to 100m if needed but also control the swing speed closer in.

Any advice you guys could give me about experience you've had that I might not have thought of?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dimebag posted:

Got an interesting event this weekend coming up. Texas Ambrose is what they are calling it so each hit a tee shot, then hit the other persons 2nd shot then pick the best from there alternate stroke. Seems interesting however they have added another fun element, a three club + putter limit.

Don't know if any of you have played event similar but looking for advice on club selection, it's not a super long course so I was thinking 3 Utility, 7 Iron and 50 degree wedge with the putter. My thought process is that there is no point carrying a driver when it can only be hit off the tee and I don't bag any fairway woods normally so the 21 degree utility iron would be best for tee shots and long second shots(which I see occurring as I'm partnering my dad who doesn't have much power these days) 7 iron im wavering between that and an 8 iron which is a better length for he par 3s on the course. 50 degree wedge should do the job I need closer in as I can hit it to 100m if needed but also control the swing speed closer in.

Any advice you guys could give me about experience you've had that I might not have thought of?

oooooh restricted club events are good times.

I'd basically take a 200 yard, 150 yard, and ~100 yard club. I'm assuming that 100 yard club for you is some manner of wedge that you could fairly easily pitch/chip with as well. These are a ton of fun and force you to get pretty creative with your shots.

E: Play according to what the course gives you or your partner. Just like what some of us mentioned earlier about watching the LPGA, go less risky than you normally do, because you'll really get punished at these events if you get into bad lies, sand, etc.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

DJExile posted:

oooooh restricted club events are good times.

I'd basically take a 200 yard, 150 yard, and ~100 yard club. I'm assuming that 100 yard club for you is some manner of wedge that you could fairly easily pitch/chip with as well. These are a ton of fun and force you to get pretty creative with your shots.

E: Play according to what the course gives you or your partner. Just like what some of us mentioned earlier about watching the LPGA, go less risky than you normally do, because you'll really get punished at these events if you get into bad lies, sand, etc.

Cool, so yeah I guess 3 Utility, 8 Iron and 50 degree will do the job. Looking forward to it, they only run this event once a year, shotgun start with free lunch and the presentation of the clubs yearly awards.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

DJExile posted:

*flips all of you off from northwest ohio*

:mad:

My wife is from Fostoria :3: Played Laudon Meadows last time we were up that way. That 600 yard par 5 is something :)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Farking Bastage posted:

My wife is from Fostoria :3: Played Laudon Meadows last time we were up that way. That 600 yard par 5 is something :)

hahahaha that's awesome, and yes it is

I haven't played there in years, I should go back in the spring

DJExile fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 22, 2016

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I have posted previously about how I've been playing some pretty bad golf in the last month or so. My friends and I went out last weekend to play in our last round of the Year here in New Hampshire. I figured out that I had moved away from the body swing that the golf pro showed me and was arm swinging again.

Unfortunately I didn't realize this until the last four holes. I guess that's what happens when you loosen up.

daslog fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Nov 22, 2016

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Please lord keep me from spending money I don't need to. Callaway Pre-owned is running 30-50% off drivers coupon code BF16DRIVER

e: and poo poo I bought an XR 9 degree with a Aldila Rogue Silver 70 shaft for $115

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 22, 2016

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
I am trying to hold off on getting a new driver from CPO after I just got a Nike Origin Putter after finding they are on clearance so the 25% coupon brings them down to $112. Its not even black Friday yet.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Ooh wee I can't wait for Black Friday deals

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

It's the Indian not the arrow. I like all my clubs. It doesn't make sense to order new clubs that I won't get to hit for months.

Fuuuuck I'm gonna order a 7 wood or something aren't I?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Farking Bastage posted:

Please lord keep me from spending money I don't need to. Callaway Pre-owned is running 30-50% off drivers coupon code BF16DRIVER

e: and poo poo I bought an XR 9 degree with a Aldila Rogue Silver 70 shaft for $115

Thanks for this - today they're doing bogo putters and wedges. Bogogreen is the code if it doesn't tell you on the website.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
There is also free shipping with code EMFS16M. Just found this morning.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Welp, I think I win the bad lie award today.

I shouldn't have been in that poo poo but I turned my second shot over a bit on a par5. Tried to punch onto the green under it and well... that happened.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Sergio could hit that out no prob.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
Well that American foresomes was a shambles. I didn't mind the 4 club rule but having to hit my dads second shot was horrible. He's lost some power in his old age while I'm giving him an easy 6 iron into greens, I'm having to hit bare lie 3 irons for the second shot all day.

Really make you appreciate the extra clubs you have in your bag normally especially wedges, taking 3 wedge options for various lies and making it 1 club for these situations really makes the game around the green super hard.

Would totally play reduced clubs round again no worries, but not pairing it with foresomes.

Dimebag fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 26, 2016

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Callaway Preowned codes for Cyber monday

30CYBER 30% off entire order

CYBERDRIVER 50% off drivers

BOGOFCYBER Buy one get one Fairway wood or hybrid

CYBERGREEN Buy one get one putter or wedge.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dimebag posted:

Well that American foresomes was a shambles. I didn't mind the 4 club rule but having to hit my dads second shot was horrible. He's lost some power in his old age while I'm giving him an easy 6 iron into greens, I'm having to hit bare lie 3 irons for the second shot all day.

Really make you appreciate the extra clubs you have in your bag normally especially wedges, taking 3 wedge options for various lies and making it 1 club for these situations really makes the game around the green super hard.

Would totally play reduced clubs round again no worries, but not pairing it with foresomes.

Oh god :stare: I must have misread you because I thought it was just you and one other player. This was 4 players rotating around playing 1 ball?

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

DJExile posted:

Oh god :stare: I must have misread you because I thought it was just you and one other player. This was 4 players rotating around playing 1 ball?

Nope only 2 players, I don't think I was clear about what I meant about wedge options. I normally carry 3 wedges so taking away the ability to select the loft and bounce I need for shots around the green was what I found to be the hardest thing to deal with.

Actually having to hit my dads 2nd shot was really difficult, I think this was psychological though as I was striping my 3 iron down the fairway all day and would have loved to hit my own second shots.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dimebag posted:

Nope only 2 players, I don't think I was clear about what I meant about wedge options. I normally carry 3 wedges so taking away the ability to select the loft and bounce I need for shots around the green was what I found to be the hardest thing to deal with.

Actually having to hit my dads 2nd shot was really difficult, I think this was psychological though as I was striping my 3 iron down the fairway all day and would have loved to hit my own second shots.

Oh gotcha, that's fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNP-yMQBlbB/?taken-by=holein1trickshots

:stare::stare::stare: