Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

poo poo is hosed but it can be helped in 2020. You guys are acting like Trump is now our eternal dictator.
The true ruler of America is a smug polar bear drowning while holding a sign that reads "I told you so."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

America, and other first-world nations, will work very, very hard to watch them drown. Trump's anti-refugee positions are only the beginning. The world will harden itself to large numbers of deaths, because the human population is not sustainable over the next couple centuries.

this is his plan to bring jobs back.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

poo poo is hosed but it can be helped in 2020. You guys are acting like Trump is now our eternal dictator.

Given how the Dems are worthless and likely to just roll over and take it up the rear end, and that the Republicans are only moving further and further right, it night not be Trump himself, but it'll be at least as bad.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

The world was pre-hardened, we had like a sixty year stretch there where the idea that there might hypothetically be some kind of reciprocity or community of equals between the subaltern and the hegemony was even floated as something desirable in theory, and now we're going back to the way things were before. This time the imperial powers are just killing people indirectly with CO2 and methane instead of the old-fashioned way with guns and knives.

Realism is proven right again, nerds

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Oh my God gently caress Harold Ford forever

override367
Apr 29, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

America, and other first-world nations, will work very, very hard to watch them drown. Trump's anti-refugee positions are only the beginning. The world will harden itself to large numbers of deaths, because the human population is not sustainable over the next couple centuries.

Maybe? Maybe not

Things look bad but I'd caution against making sweeping predictions like this, we couldn't even predict a goddamned presidential election the day before despite tens of millions of dollars in polling

There have been coming calamities in the past that we've muddled through, sometimes with huge amounts of deaths, sometimes without. I tend to agree in the medium term (this century), but beyond that? Who the gently caress knows, if the human race is still progressing technologically at all in a hundred years it's impossible to predict anything.

Clean water will be the problem, for sure. California needs to get over its fear of nuclear if it wants to remain the breadbasket of America and start desalinating ocean water

override367 fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 23, 2016

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

quote:

APD has released videos in the past that have heavily blurred spots, including one video that shows an officer running down a fleeing suspect with his truck.

Inspector Hound posted:

What the gently caress.

Yeah, seriously, what the gently caress

Even cop cars in America are trucks nowadays??

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

the only case of a party losing the presidency after one term since FDR was carter. parties almost always get 2 terms

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

override367 posted:

Maybe? Maybe not

Things look bad but I'd caution against making sweeping predictions like this, we couldn't even predict a goddamned presidential election the day before despite tens of millions of dollars in polling

There have been coming calamities in the past that we've muddled through, sometimes with huge amounts of deaths, sometimes without. I tend to agree in the medium term (this century), but beyond that? Who the gently caress knows, if the human race is still progressing technologically at all in a hundred years it's impossible to predict anything

It's actually extremely easy to predict that there will still be humans, and technological innovation, in a hundred years, and on the outside change there aren't it won't be because of climate change; all you have to do to get an analysis that good is spend a couple hours boning up on history or ecology instead of watching anime.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I know it is the least consoling thing possible but Trump cutting the climate change research is something that any by the book establishment Republican in his position would have done also. It's not uniqely him.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
e: n/m

override367
Apr 29, 2013

It's actually extremely easy to predict that there will still be humans, and technological innovation, in a hundred years, or if there aren't it won't be because of climate change; all you have to do to get an analysis that good is spend a couple hours boning up on history or climatology instead of watching anime.

Not if there's a nuclear war or something, still I think you're probably right, and as such I think trying to predict things will be for humans re: climate change is dicey

Predicting climate effects is super important for economic planning though (something which America is really opposed to, everything is telling us the smart move to get through this century is renewables including nuclear, but we're kind of a dumb people)

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

well at least China's putting a ton of money into green energy and stuff, so hopefully the reds will save the Americans from their own goddamn stupidity.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

MacheteZombie posted:

this is his plan to bring jobs back.

You laugh, but a man can make enough to support his family by manning the machine guns on the great southern wall

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

TheScott2K posted:

Harold Ford, Jr.: smirking sociopath

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I know it is the least consoling thing possible but Trump cutting the climate change research is something that any by the book establishment Republican in his position would have done also. It's not uniqely him.
Bullshit! A typical Republican would have cut the budget by 30% and installed a favorable director. To cut the two billion dollar program completely is outrageously hostile. This isn't a rollback or a cut, this is a permanent shutdown of the US's ability to effectively study the climate.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

I can only read salon for aobut two minutes before the headlines like "Vote for Trump you're dea to me." Just ,=make me exit.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

the only case of a party losing the presidency after one term since FDR was carter. parties almost always get 2 terms

I think you're missing a few.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

I was reading something on what would happen if Pakistan and India went at it with nukes. The exchange and the aftermath would kill 2 billion people as a direct cause, but just mostly Asians. It would collapse the world economy, throw 5 million tons of carbon into the air, and fallout curtailing American wheat and soybean production would by 10% for a decade, but China would take the brunt of it, with something like wheat production falling by a quarter and likely causing famines and food riots to break out.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

TheScott2K posted:

Speaking as someone from Memphis, he's a tremendous piece of poo poo that had an extremely safe Democratic seat and did jack poo poo with it. Everyone I know hates him and his family. The dude was given every leg up, a great education, failed the Tennessee bar exam once and never retook it. I was so glad when Steve Cohen snapped his stupid younger brother in half in the 2006 election because that whole branch of the family is corrupt as hell and openly act like they're entitled to political power.

e: just to be clear you should prefer the most hardcore anti-infrastructure Republican in existence to Ford because Ford will happily do that exact same poo poo while giving Trump a veneer of bipartisanship and getting a pass on everything on the news because he's a Democrat working with Trump

disjoe fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 23, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

override367 posted:

Not if there's a nuclear war or something, still I think you're probably right, and as such I think trying to predict things will be for humans re: climate change is dicey

Predicting climate effects is super important for economic planning though

Yeah all those bombs never really went away, but we are drifting gradually away from the kind of bipolar world that'd launch all of em at once because some functionary sensed a perceived weakness in their game of political chess; if anything Trumpism is a positive development on that front vs. more at heart Cold War-era empire builders like Clinton. We're likely to see a lot more really nasty local wars of everybody against everybody as the developed world's Pax Americana crumbles, no big dramatic all-consuming global flame deluge.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 23, 2016

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

lmao wasn't he the guy whose opponent ran an attack ad of white women asking him to call them?

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Monaghan posted:

well at least China's putting a ton of money into green energy and stuff, so hopefully the reds will save the Americans from their own goddamn stupidity.

Considering the literal nazis that are being put into cabinet positions, we may need a whole lot of reds to come save America from our own stupidity based on historical analysis.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

if anything Trumpism is a positive development on that front vs. more at heart Cold War-era empire builders like Clinton (if on no other fronts).

This is bonafide bullshit.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/nov/22/nasa-earth-donald-trump-eliminate-climate-change-research

quote:

Donald Trump is poised to eliminate all climate change research conducted by Nasa as part of a crackdown on “politicized science”, his senior adviser on issues relating to the space agency has said.

Nasa’s Earth science division is set to be stripped of funding in favor of exploration of deep space, with the president-elect having set a goal during the campaign to explore the entire solar system by the end of the century.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

zegermans posted:

lmao wasn't he the guy whose opponent ran an attack ad of white women asking him to call them?
Sure did

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This article is misleading as hell because in it they say that deep space exploration is also getting a cut

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

I bet that dude has a white wife named something like Emily.

Edit: Nailed it!

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 23, 2016

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

This article is misleading as hell because in it they say that deep space exploration is also getting a cut

That's what they mean by "exploring the solar system by the end of the century". Trump's leaving that for 80 years for other Presidents.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

FactsAreUseless posted:

Earth is fine. America is fine. People in poor countries that are going to be systematically stripped of their resources are pretty hosed though.

:rip: miami tho

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Nothing is fine, anywhere. Huge amounts of wildlife die off will happen, wildfires and extreme weather will increase in frequency and intensity, food will get more expensive, there will be more wars, there will be more austerity, elites will protect their stake until the very bitterest end, and so on and so forth. Everything is connected.

Wealthy Americans are more fine then everyone else. Poor and "middle-class" Americans are more fine than poor and "middle-class" people elsewhere.

By the time most of the the baby-boomers die they will have had the most amazingly destructive party imaginable and those who are left are the help brought in to clean up the mess and salvage what is left. For the moment we're only enjoying their table scraps, until the table itself is destroyed.

Nothing is fine. Life will change drastically in the coming decades, for everyone, everywhere.

Huzanko fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 23, 2016

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Well, duh.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

the black husserl posted:

Bullshit! A typical Republican would have cut the budget by 30% and installed a favorable director. To cut the two billion dollar program completely is outrageously hostile. This isn't a rollback or a cut, this is a permanent shutdown of the US's ability to effectively study the climate.

You really sure about that?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
This recount poo poo has me on edge and I don't even know why.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Motto posted:

infinitely more likely than the presidency getting torn from trump: dems handing over NC.

There is nothing Democrats can do to stop the GOP from keeping NC if they want to. Even if they challenge it in Federal court that's a hell of a long shot and would rely on a ruling against McCrory that doesn't get overturned on appeal, since I can't see the SCOTUS having a majority that would rule against him, assuming they even hear the case.

It's a small comfort knowing that people like her would meet a horrific end at the hands of the people she's trying to be chummy with.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The GOP is going to be suppressing the vote nationwide on a scale that in this past election was only found in states like WI and NC. When the DNC shows itself to be even remotely competent and unified against the GOP, with a message that isn't garbage, then maybe they'll have a faint shot.

Except in states held by the GOP in which case have fun trying to vote if you're a poor, minority, or young voter Democrat when you have a hard time getting that mandated state ID from the DMV 50 miles away that's only open when you're at work/school, and needed when you go to the one polling place that will have you waiting all day and night. Assuming we don't get something insane like a Federal law that mandates polling places close and stop allowing people to vote when the polls "close" for the state in question. Though the latter probably won't happen because it'd also risk not letting a bunch of Republicans vote either.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Amway is now running our education department

(I'm partly joking. The DeVos family runs Amway but I don't think Betsy is that involved)

https://twitter.com/jenniferjjacobs/status/801484474877931520

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 23, 2016

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

It's a nothingburger, chill.

If Hillary becomes President, somehow, I'll eat a bug on camera. A pre-dead one, though. I'm not a monster.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Oh good, a pyramid-scheme billionaire's full-on-rapist wife. What could go wrong?

Oh. That.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Because God help us if it shows there was enough of a problem (From whatever cause) to flip even a single EC vote towards Clinton, the entire right will go completely loving ballistic in a way hitherto unseen. If by some insanity it's enough to flip the outcome, good lord.*

*Ordinarily I would say that of course there's no way in hell this could happen, but I mean, some poo poo has gone down this year, I wouldn't even be surprised anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

theblackw0lf posted:

Amway is now running our education department

(I'm partly joking. The DeVos family runs Amway but I don't think Betsy is that involved)

https://twitter.com/jenniferjjacobs/status/801484474877931520

quote:

What a Betsy DeVos appointment tells us about Trump’s education plans

1. He intends to go through with his sweeping voucher plan.

On the campaign trail, Trump vowed to use federal funds to encourage states to make school choice available to all poor students, including through vouchers that allow families to take public funding to private schools.

That’s exactly what DeVos has zealously worked to make happen on a state-by-state basis for decades. In 2000, she helped get a ballot measure before Michigan voters that would have enshrined a right to vouchers in the state’s Constitution. After the measure failed, she and her husband formed a political action committee to support pro-voucher candidates nationally. Less than a decade later, the group counted a 121-60 win-loss record.

One recipient of its support: former Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels, who created the voucher program that Trump’s vice president-elect, Mike Pence, later expanded. Indeed, DeVos’s vision puts her more in line with Pence, who has supported private school vouchers for both low- and middle-income families, than with Trump, whose plan extends only to poor families.

Trump also vowed to promote publicly funded but privately managed charter schools. But DeVos, whose husband founded an aviation-themed charter school in their hometown of Grand Rapids, Michigan, has expressed reservations about them.

“Charter schools take a while to start up and get operating,” she told Philanthropy Roundtable in 2013. “Meanwhile, there are very good non-public schools, hanging on by a shoestring, that can begin taking students today.”

2. School oversight might not be the department’s top concern.

DeVos and her husband played a role in getting Michigan’s charter school law passed in 1993, and ever since have worked to protect charters from additional regulation. When Michigan lawmakers this year were considering a measure that would have added oversight for charter schools in Detroit, members of the DeVos family poured $1.45 million into legislators’ campaign coffers — an average of $25,000 a day for seven weeks. Oversight was not included in the final legislation.

The DeVos influence is one reason that Michigan’s charter sector is among the least regulated in the country. Roughly 80 percent of charters in Michigan are run by private companies, far more than in any other state. And state authorities have done little up to now to ensure that charter schools are effectively serving students, eliciting concern from current federal authorities.

“There are a lot of schools that are doing poorly and charter authorizers do not seem to be taking the necessary actions to either improve performance or close those underperforming charters,” current U.S. Secretary of Education John King told Chalkbeat about Michigan last month.

3. The Common Core would remain a question mark.

DeVos hasn’t been outspoken about the Common Core, the shared learning standards adopted by most states in recent years. But some of her ties would suggest that she supports the effort to raise and standardize expectations of what students should learn in each grade. She’s on the board of Foundation for Excellence in Education, the group that former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush founded to promote school choice and the Common Core.

On the campaign trail, Trump routinely denounced the standards — despite his having no authority to “repeal” them — in statements that won applause from conservatives and liberal parents and teachers alike. But his transition team said the meeting with DeVos “focused on the Common Core mission, and setting higher national standards and promoting the growth of school choice across the nation.”

The statement suggests a possible effort to achieve the standards’ goals without promoting the Common Core brand — exactly the middle path that many states have chosen as they revise the standards, often only lightly, and rename them.

4. The education secretary won’t be a counterweight to Republican officials.

Trump’s consideration of Moskowitz and Rhee, both self-identified Democrats, raised the hopes of some that the federal education department’s leader could counterbalance some more hard-right administration officials. (It also prompted one prominent education lobbying group to issue a statement calling on Democrats not to take a position in Trump’s administration.)

That hope would evaporate if DeVos is the choice, though there is some evidence that she is less extreme than some of the voices gaining prominence in Trump’s administration so far. For one, she did not support Trump even once he became the presumptive Republican nominee, throwing her vote as a party delegate instead behind Ohio Gov. John Kasich. Two years ago, she also publicly called for a Republican leader in Michigan to step down after he made anti-gay and anti-Muslim comments on social media.

But she is a dyed-in-the-wool Republican party leader who has been more conservative on education issues than some of her colleagues. In fact, DeVos stepped down as chair of Michigan’s Republican party in 2000 after the Republican governor declined to support vouchers. (She later took the position back.) Outside of education, her family gave heavily to efforts to ban same sex-marriage in Michigan.

5. DeVos would have to operate outside of most of the world she has known.

Many of DeVos’ successes have resulted from using her family’s considerable financial resources. DeVos family foundations reported lifetime charitable giving of more than $1.2 billion earlier this year to institutions ranging from hospitals to arts organizations. Political donations — to oppose gay marriage, support vouchers, and sway lawmakers from increasing oversight to charter schools — came on top of that. As education secretary, she would not be able to rely on her personal wealth and approach to get things done.

Instead, she would have to operate within a complicated web of interests and priorities, including with education officials in states that did not support Trump. Her work up to now has been largely within the Republican Party, but she has expressed confidence in the past about being able to cross party lines.

“What we’ve tried to do is engage with Democrats, to make it politically safe for them to do what they know in their heart of hearts is the right thing,” DeVos said in 2013. “Education should be non-partisan.”

• Locked thread