Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Really Pants posted:

Every vegetable still makes juice, doesn't it? Good ol' corn juice.

corn juice is a real thing and inexplicably somewhat popular in some countries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

a7m2 posted:

corn juice is a real thing and inexplicably somewhat popular in some countries

Yeah, like America:

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
Once you've gotten what you need out of your animals, can you just ignore them? I like the ambiance of having animals wandering about my farm, but I cannot be bothered to tend to these needy fuckers every drat day.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

frogge posted:

I asked because I had been under the impression greenhouses were bugged for growing fruit trees. I'll have to give it a try tonight. 28 game days is still better than waiting for an RNG to work out or playing until Fall 3.

The greenhouses used to let you plant trees anywhere in the greenhouse. That bug was fixed. Now, you can plant them in the dirt, keep the area around them clear until maturity, and they'll produce all year long.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

rotinaj posted:

The greenhouses used to let you plant trees anywhere in the greenhouse. That bug was fixed. Now, you can plant them in the dirt, keep the area around them clear until maturity, and they'll produce all year long.

I thought this was "fixed" and then "unfixed?"

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

You can plant trees in the greenhouse on non-soil. The "a tree needs a space clear around it" rule still applies.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Viperix posted:

Once you've gotten what you need out of your animals, can you just ignore them? I like the ambiance of having animals wandering about my farm, but I cannot be bothered to tend to these needy fuckers every drat day.

Basically. The only problem you get from not feeding them is their heart whatever doesn't increase.

I think their affection still goes up if they eat grass but don't get petted.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Beat Pierre's rear end in the grange display again, he cried like a baby.
It was then I revealed to him that I am secretly Jesus:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Emphasis on secret - everyone's playing Pan without you!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the new patch makes me want to get back into this game but also i remember feeling constantly harried for time

are there any mods that just make the game more relaxing in terms of what you can do in a day

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Rutibex posted:

Yeah, like America:

I don't mean corn syrup if that's what you're getting at.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

There's probably a mod out there that lets you put taps on corn.

Just as bizarre as those ones that let you diddle children and give everyone (Including the men) breasts larger than their head.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Tollymain posted:

the new patch makes me want to get back into this game but also i remember feeling constantly harried for time

are there any mods that just make the game more relaxing in terms of what you can do in a day

There is the TimeSpeed Mod made by cantorsdust, who posts/used to post on here... it's been a while since updates but I'm like 98% certain my old version worked totally fine with the most recent SMAPI when I picked the game up again last month, no problems

The mod lets you customize the time it takes for 10 minutes to pass in a day-- 7 seconds in vanilla, the default mod settings double it. I have it set to 9 or 10, just for some breathing room. Pressing "N" pauses time altogether if you need, too

flesh dance fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Nov 23, 2016

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

I thought this was "fixed" and then "unfixed?"
You're right; the current version allows fruit trees to be planted in the non-dirt section around the edges of the greenhouse again, as is apparently intended. The only restriction is that they still need all eight spaces around them to be empty and unshared with other fruit trees. Also, it's worth noting that the little potted plants and other stuff around the edges of the greenhouse are just there to look pretty -- they aren't "real" and shouldn't block tree growth or keep the fruit from increasing in quality over time. One square away from crops and sprinklers and the greenhouse wall, two squares away from other fruit trees, and you're fine. (And the sprinklers are only going to be a problem if you use a layout that puts a couple of them outside the dirt in order to get the maximum 116 squares of fully-irrigated crop space, and even then, it'd just mean waiting through the one season it'll take for the trees to grow in on that side before you can install the sprinklers.)

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
It was mentioned earlier, but if you have an active quest, you can click on the little "!" icon with your mouse at 2:00 am during the "zonking out" animation, and when you close the quest menu, it cancells the falling asleep animation, giving you an extra 7 seconds of game time before it happens again.

I've done this a few times just to see how far it would last - you can pretty much cause the game to run from 2:00 am, to 12:00 am, however it loops back to 1:00 am.

Weird stuff happens as well. Some processes that are set to finish at the end of the day are completed, so for example if you have worm bins, they will keep replenishing themselves every time you cancel the falling asleep animation.

After 2:00 am, all you can fish is trash. It's like the game does not have a list of fish that can be caught after a 2:00 am time period.

All your buffs keep resetting, so it is useless to eat food.

The big negative is that it seems to impact your animals's happiness. I think that each time you conk out, the game checks to see if you petted your animals, and if you didn't pet them during those 7 seconds (which you can't as they are all aslepp), you suffer happiness loss. Not a good thing if you are aiming for large milks or eggs.

I kinda wish there was something like this in the game - you can force yourself awake after 2:00, but doing so incurs severe penalties the next day. (ie: the sluggishness debuff lasts the whole day).

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Guigui posted:

After 2:00 am, all you can fish is trash. It's like the game does not have a list of fish that can be caught after a 2:00 am time period.

The fish are all asleep, duh.

Guigui posted:

I kinda wish there was something like this in the game - you can force yourself awake after 2:00, but doing so incurs severe penalties the next day. (ie: the sluggishness debuff lasts the whole day).

Drinking a Coffee should have this effect after 200pm

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Trilobite posted:

One square away from crops and sprinklers and the greenhouse wall, two squares away from other fruit trees, and you're fine.

I have mine planted right against the west and east walls and they grew in fine. I think the walls are just as unreal as the decor.

You can fling fruit through the walls. Better have a iridium/magnet ring.

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010
If you go to the greenhouse page on the Stardew wiki it has a few different diagrams on how you can set things up in there :) My hubby and I have both gotten a lot of help out of the wiki!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
A friend of mine used the time stop menu glitch to go crazy with fishing and got the Iridium Rod by Spring 6 and caught the Legend by Spring 15. :psyduck:

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Thanks for the advice/info.

I'm sitting at 124k gold with a shed that's a brewery, the greenhouse, and a fully upgraded house, barn, and chicken coop. I think the plan now is to just coast off of that for awhile and do Help Wanted quests, and try to get gifts to everyone and befriend the whole town.
I still make a ton of cash on brewing, making preserves, and cheeses- so even if I bought gifts for everyone each week I'm not going to put much of a dent in my cash.
I'm sort of just biding my time until I get a pomegranate anyways.

I've already dug to the deeps of the mine and the witch mine in Calico Desert. I've got the hidden forest unlocked, as well as the quarry. In last night's session my Grandpa's ghost came by to congratulate me on the farm.
I'm not sure what end-game stuff there is to do but I'm not seeking it out just yet either. At least not until I max out my stats.

edit: formatting.

frogge fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 23, 2016

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

frogge posted:

Thanks for the advice/info.

I'm sitting at 124k gold with a shed that's a brewery, the greenhouse, and a fully upgraded house, barn, and chicken coop. I think the plan now is to just coast off of that for awhile and do Help Wanted quests, and try to get gifts to everyone and befriend the whole town.
I still make a ton of cash on brewing, making preserves, and cheeses- so even if I bought gifts for everyone each week I'm not going to put much of a dent in my cash.
I'm sort of just biding my time until I get a pomegranate anyways.

I've already dug to the deeps of the mine and the witch mine in Calico Desert. I've got the hidden forest unlocked, as well as the quarry. In last night's session my Grandpa's ghost came by to congratulate me on the farm.
I'm not sure what end-game stuff there is to do but I'm not seeking it out just yet either. At least not until I max out my stats.

edit: formatting.

I think I found a new way to play this game. You own everything under the sun, do everything you could possibly do, and befriend everybody.

When you've become the ultimate successful farmer, you take out a Pale Ale and start drinking every day. Maybe go drink with Pam or go to the saloon. You're roleplaying that your character is depressed. Eventually you start gambling away all your hard won cash, selling (destroying) your buildings, and your equipment. Eventually you hit rock bottom and your farm is overrun with trees, rocks, and grass. You use your last 500g to buy a bus ticket out of Stardew Valley. As the bus travels off screen you quit the game. When you start a new game you skip the intro. You're returning to your farm to try again and exorcise your demons. But you've been gone so long all the townsfolk barely recognize you, your house and the town is in disrepair, and all those skills you worked so hard developing are gone. You have to pull yourself up by your bootstraps and start again.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MrSlam posted:

I think I found a new way to play this game. You own everything under the sun, do everything you could possibly do, and befriend everybody.

When you've become the ultimate successful farmer, you take out a Pale Ale and start drinking every day. Maybe go drink with Pam or go to the saloon. You're roleplaying that your character is depressed. Eventually you start gambling away all your hard won cash, selling (destroying) your buildings, and your equipment. Eventually you hit rock bottom and your farm is overrun with trees, rocks, and grass. You use your last 500g to buy a bus ticket out of Stardew Valley. As the bus travels off screen you quit the game. When you start a new game you skip the intro. You're returning to your farm to try again and exorcise your demons. But you've been gone so long all the townsfolk barely recognize you, your house and the town is in disrepair, and all those skills you worked so hard developing are gone. You have to pull yourself up by your bootstraps and start again.

I think you may have played too much Stardew Valley.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

MrSlam posted:

And your kids are dead.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Sono posted:

And your kids are doves.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

MrSlam posted:

I mean, after this game maybe I'll take a break for a few months and then come back and do the joja mart stuff so I can get all of the achievements but uh sure.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

frogge posted:

get all of the achievements

lol nope

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

aside from beating the stupid minigame it's pretty doable

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I mean, if there's an achievement for shacking up with every single bachelor/bachelorette I don't know that I'll play it that much.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

frogge posted:

I mean, if there's an achievement for shacking up with every single bachelor/bachelorette I don't know that I'll play it that much.
http://stardewvalleywiki.com/File:Achievement_Fector%27s_Challenge.jpg

a7m2 posted:

aside from beating the stupid minigame it's pretty doable
The mini game is fine and fun. The secret achievement for it is impossible, I don't know anyone who has gotten it after the bug that made it doable was fixed.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

The minigame is fun, but a bit much of a timesink.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I got a couple of levels into Prairie King and the game crashed, it was one of two crashes I've had in over 100 hours of SV. The other was a Witch Visit/Jumino Hut one.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
If I had to pick one flaw in this game it's those arcade games, and only because it's necessary for cheevos.

Still GOTY for me though.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Suggestions for fishing profession choices, both 5 and 10?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

So I was just wondering if unthinkingly plying my pregnant wife with alcohol every single day so that she never starts liking me less has any consequences down the line for the baby, so I look it up and apparently if you're pregnant and pass out in the mines, Harvey mentions an emergency surgery and suddenly you aren't pregnant anymore. Game owns.

TequilaJesus posted:

bait and iron are cheap, go for the fishing ones with +value at the end. Either works but it isn't long before the treasure chests don't offer up anything new or terribly useful

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

What the gently caress

I'm going to go look this up, but my god that's dark

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

TequilaJesus posted:

Question: Do you enjoy the fishing minigame?

If answer: "Yeah I think it's pretty/really cool" -> Fisher, then Angler
If answer: "I dislike it/It's OK but I'm not a huge fan" -> Trapper, then Luremaster

You can still carry bait while looting lines of crab pots to keep from accidentally picking the drat thing up even if you've got Luremaster.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

What the gently caress

I'm going to go look this up, but my god that's dark

It may be a bug, but considering the other stuff just under the surface is a still simmering race war, a nebulous war that is ongoing and quite the meat grinder apparently, and lots of townsfolk with deep seated psychological issues that I'm not sure are every going to actually be resolved, I dunno it may not be

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If you've got a fishing pole on you, you've always got bait. Just right click the rod to pull it off, load the traps, then right click again to load it back onto the rod.

never takes up a space in your inventory beyond the rod, which is always useful to have around to fling hooked bobbers at people who are annoying you

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Steam is having an awards thing and 'Best Use of a Farm Animal' is one of the categories, are there even any other games that qualify?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Steam is having an awards thing and 'Best Use of a Farm Animal' is one of the categories, are there even any other games that qualify?

Goat Simulator?