Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
As any old-school Shadowrun fan knows, the ideology of the dark cyberpunk future is neoanarchism!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

https://twitter.com/AnnCoulter/status/799899221361037312

Ann Coulter and/or her interns have endorsed his article.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

uber_stoat posted:

so there's been this world wide American lead multi-decade pan-national thing that has broken down borders and transferred massive amounts of material wealth into the hands of a small group, most of them white. or Chinese, since that's the only other place that really benefited from it in a major way.

and now all the whitey's who used to be well off are angry, and yeah, lots of them are super racist, but even still they have been hosed over completely, and not for any kind of egalitarian distributive reason, but so that a handful of psychopaths can get rich. so now what. it's nazis or... *insert alternative here*.

trump is one of those handful of psychopaths

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I know... funny how that worked out, huh?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Naw everyone knows it's politicians' and bankers' fault for every bad thing ever so clearly we must elect a man who made his fortune in the time-honored, respected industry of real estate to fix it since his hands are not dirty with bankster bailout money.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

ate all the Oreos posted:

Naw everyone knows it's politicians' and bankers' fault for every bad thing ever so clearly we must elect a man who made his fortune in the time-honored, respected industry of real estate to fix it since his hands are not dirty with bankster bailout money.

Hey it could be worse, at least he's not one of those loving celebrities everyone else keeps talking about, right?

Skittle Prickle
Oct 28, 2005

The best-tasting pickle I ever heard!

WilliamAnderson posted:

https://twitter.com/AnnCoulter/status/799899221361037312

Ann Coulter and/or her interns have endorsed his article.

and his response was to edit in a link to effective altruism. Responsibility averted! no need to question why ann coulter is uncritically linking the post

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
https://twitter.com/Hbomberguy/status/800180673965330432

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

That's why I give that man money.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Gotta say, the original is funnier.

https://twitter.com/Paulllinois/status/800073049764745216?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
https://mobile.twitter.com/slatestarcodex/status/799632074114236416

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

This is the same guy who called feminists anti-semitic because the term "neckbeard" exists

It's almost like the problem here is that calling someone racist makes Scott go into a panic attack and he can't take that it's one of the many, many things people get angry at Donald Trump for doing

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Does someone have a link to a good thrashing of SSC's Trump defense post?

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/eron_gj/status/800197384588394496

https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/800174468144336896

Skittle Prickle
Oct 28, 2005

The best-tasting pickle I ever heard!

It's always funny to me how people who are angry about raging social justice mobs ruining people reputations have decided to make eron gjoni their champion, even though his most signficant act was... starting a raging justice mob to ruin someones reputation?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Some guys have trouble getting over their ex-girlfriend. Eron Gg has made sure his resentful spite towards his girlfriend is written in the very fabric of the internet and he shall be eternally known as That Guy Who Broke Up With Zoe Quinn

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Skittle Prickle posted:

It's always funny to me how people who are angry about raging social justice mobs ruining people reputations have decided to make eron gjoni their champion, even though his most signficant act was... starting a raging justice mob to ruin someones reputation?

No you see he's reformed, he's basically the equivalent to the stories Ben Carson told about growing up in the black sinful streets and seeing the light of white people culture conservatism

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

I feel bad for Matt Forney

e: there's at least another video where he waddles away in terror at someone, isn't there?

hackbunny has a new favorite as of 01:50 on Nov 21, 2016

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/FakeFattMorney/status/799836582928908292

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I'd feel so bad for Matt Forney if he didn't compound his dumpy weird looks by being a humongous shithead who talks such a big game that Clark Gable would have trouble living up to it, let alone Humpty Dumpty

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1MSacJnnkE

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I'd feel so bad for Matt Forney if he didn't compound his dumpy weird looks by being a humongous shithead who talks such a big game that Clark Gable would have trouble living up to it, let alone Humpty Dumpty
Isn't there a fancy psychological term for someone who's so afraid of being disliked that they go out of their way to be jerks so as to remove all doubt? I feel like this describes Matt Forney. Secretly, he fears that all women loathe him and find him disgusting, so he says the worst and grossest things possible and then claims that people hate him for his ideas, not because he's a loser.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

pookel posted:

Isn't there a fancy psychological term for someone who's so afraid of being disliked that they go out of their way to be jerks so as to remove all doubt? I feel like this describes Matt Forney. Secretly, he fears that all women loathe him and find him disgusting, so he says the worst and grossest things possible and then claims that people hate him for his ideas, not because he's a loser.

Hiding in the windmill.

E: possibly a "reverse ad hominem by proxy."

Somfin has a new favorite as of 22:09 on Nov 21, 2016

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

pookel posted:

The fact that a 60 something woman expressing pity and sympathy for him online spurred him into doxxing her and trying to ruin her life kinda lends credence to this.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Somfin posted:

Hiding in the windmill.

I cannot find evidence that this phrase has ever been used before, in English. Can you elaborate on the meaning or origin?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

One of my well-meaning nerd friends just posted this on Facebook, describing it as having been a huge relief:

http://slatestarcodex.com/2016/11/16/you-are-still-crying-wolf/

How do I summarize what's wrong with listening SSC? I swear he's not dumb. Not this dumb, anyway.

EDIT: Thanks, guys.

LordSaturn has a new favorite as of 16:14 on Nov 23, 2016

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

LordSaturn posted:

One of my well-meaning nerd friends just posted this on Facebook, describing it as having been a huge relief:

http://slatestarcodex.com/2016/11/16/you-are-still-crying-wolf/

How do I summarize what's wrong with listening SSC? I swear he's not dumb. Not this dumb, anyway.

"Scott Alexander has a very sheltered, naive set of views and priorities that lead him to underrate the danger of the far-right and overrate the danger of the left, to the point where he's fine with promoting the work of white nationalists on his blog."?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

The Vosgian Beast posted:

"Scott Alexander has a very sheltered, naive set of views and priorities that lead him to underrate the danger of the far-right and overrate the danger of the left, to the point where he's fine with promoting the work of white nationalists on his blog."?

"Scott Alexander insists he's progressive yet constantly talks about the danger posed by the left, talks about how rational and reasonable some on the extreme right are, and has often promoted the work of literal anti-democratic white supremacists."

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
"Scott Alexander is the guy who is very much not your friend but will get extremely angry if you acknowledge that."

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

oh no

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
He gazed up at the enormous face. Forty years it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the dark mustache. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved GBS

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

I note these two articles, regarding the same "National Policy Institute" event, were published a mere 4 days after the "crying wolf" blogpost:
Alt-Right Exults in Donald Trump’s Election With a Salute: ‘Heil Victory’ in the NYTimes
'Hail Trump!': White Nationalists Salute the President Elect in the Atlantic

Does Mr. SlatePitchCodex have a response yet to the actual neonazis "children of the sun" shouting "Heil Trump, heil the people, heil victory!" while doing the literal Nazi salute?

To be excruciatingly fair, there's some minor disagreement over whether it was the German "heil" or the English translation "hail" but I think reasonable people can agree that is a distinction without a difference when they also quoted Nazi propaganda in German, screamed that the mainstream media is the Lügenpresse, and their Just Asking Questions bit about whether the media are all soulless non-persons for allegedly attempting to protect Jewish interests by reportorially attacking Trump! Oh and verbatim called for "peaceful" ethnic cleansing.

Here's some choice excerpts from the NYTimes article:

Alt-Right Exults in Donald Trump’s Election With a Salute: ‘Heil Victory’ posted:

But now his tone changed as he began to tell the audience of more than 200 people, mostly young men, what they had been waiting to hear. He railed against Jews and, with a smile, quoted Nazi propaganda in the original German. America, he said, belonged to white people, whom he called the “children of the sun,” a race of conquerors and creators who had been marginalized but now, in the era of President-elect Donald J. Trump, were “awakening to their own identity.”

As he finished, several audience members had their arms outstretched in a Nazi salute. When Mr. Spencer, or perhaps another person standing near him at the front of the room — it was not clear who — shouted, “Heil the people! Heil victory,” the room shouted it back.

[...] Some speakers made an effort to distance themselves from more notorious white power organizations like the Ku Klux Klan.

But as the night wore on and most reporters had gone home, the language changed.

Mr. Spencer’s after-dinner speech began with a polemic against the “mainstream media,” before he briefly paused. “Perhaps we should refer to them in the original German?” he said.

The audience immediately screamed back, “Lügenpresse,” reviving a Nazi-era word that means “lying press.”

Mr. Spencer suggested that the news media had been critical of Mr. Trump throughout the campaign in order to protect Jewish interests. He mused about the political commentators who gave Mr. Trump little chance of winning.

“One wonders if these people are people at all, or instead soulless golem,” he said, referring to a Jewish fable about the golem, a clay giant that a rabbi brings to life to protect the Jews.

And here's the Atlantic article, which is much shorter so I quoted the whole thing:

'Hail Trump!': White Nationalists Salute the President Elect posted:

“Hail Trump, hail our people, hail victory!”

That’s how Richard B. Spencer saluted more than 200 attendees on Saturday, gathered at the Ronald Reagan Building in Washington, D.C., for the annual conference of the National Policy Institute, which describes itself as “an independent organization dedicated to the heritage, identity, and future of people of European descent in the United States, and around the world.”

Spencer has popularized the term “alt-right” to describe the movement he leads. Spencer has said his dream is “a new society, an ethno-state that would be a gathering point for all Europeans,” and has called for “peaceful ethnic cleansing.”

For most of the day, a parade of speakers discussed their ideology in relatively anodyne terms, putting a presentable face on their agenda. But after dinner, when most journalists had already departed, Spencer rose and delivered a speech to his followers dripping with anti-Semitism, and leaving no doubt as to what he actually seeks. He referred to the mainstream media as “Lügenpresse,” a term he said he was borrowing from “the original German”; the Nazis used the word to attack their critics in the press.

“America was until this past generation a white country designed for ourselves and our posterity,” Spencer said. “It is our creation, it is our inheritance, and it belongs to us.”

The audience offered cheers, applause, and enthusiastic Nazi salutes.

Here is the video, excerpted from an Atlantic documentary profile of Spencer that will premiere in December 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o6-bi3jlxk

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
They KNEW what the gently caress they were doing when they gave those salutes. they were trolling for the most part, and unfortunately it worked

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Race Realists posted:

They KNEW what the gently caress they were doing when they gave those salutes. they were trolling for the most part, and unfortunately it worked

Like I don't believe they were trolling in the normal sense, it was a closed rally with only alt-right people invited. I'm sure they were half joking in their heads but I'm pretty sure the "lol we was just trollin'" is a back-justification once it went all public.

Also I'm sure Scott's response will be something like "but Trump specifically said he disavowed the alt right afterwards so everything's fine!"

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Just a friendly reminder that negative zero is still zero and ironic racism is still racism.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

LordSaturn posted:

Just a friendly reminder that negative zero is still zero and ironic racism is still racism.

were you referring to me by any chance?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Probably just the situation in general. Been a lot of people acting like you can do a thing ironically (they're incorrect).

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Relevant Tangent posted:

Probably just the situation in general. Been a lot of people acting like you can do a thing ironically (they're incorrect).

do not venture off into gbs

that is all

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Warning gleefully ignored but appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
I mean seig heiling "ironically" is still actually, literally seig heiling in real life so who gives a flying gently caress if they claim it was ~trolling~? Don't loving legitimize their bullshit by buying into the "it was just trolling" poo poo, come on