Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Is there any way to change the position of tab control buttons in chrome on Pixel? I really like having the tab controls down near the bottom since i’ve got smallish hands. Opera has their controls down there so I might just use that, but having all the built-in funcitonality of chrome would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Funny enough, that was just spotted in the chrome dev channel at the end of Oct. So it may be coming.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/9to5go...-of-screen/amp/

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

RZA Encryption posted:

lol

Didn't they even make it so you had to turn the phone off to swap attachments?

The attachment holds the battery in, so it'll get turned off when it loses power.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

http://www.androidcentral.com/verizons-black-friday-sale-offers-pixel-240

Godfuckingdammit, they might have just sold me on getting a Pixel sooner than I'd planned. $240 for a Pixel or an XL is pretty hard to pass up.

VZW still lets you get a new device on their payment plan without killing your grandfathered unlimited data plan, right?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

Funny enough, that was just spotted in the chrome dev channel at the end of Oct. So it may be coming.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/9to5go...-of-screen/amp/

Neat! Here’s hoping it doesn’t take forever to come out. Anyone have any good browser suggestions otherwise?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

XIII posted:

http://www.androidcentral.com/verizons-black-friday-sale-offers-pixel-240

Godfuckingdammit, they might have just sold me on getting a Pixel sooner than I'd planned. $240 for a Pixel or an XL is pretty hard to pass up.

VZW still lets you get a new device on their payment plan without killing your grandfathered unlimited data plan, right?

Ok that is a stupid good deal even though you have to pay the Tax + $40 activation. Need to let the family on Verizon know about this.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Google Photos is fantastic at what it does (:tinfoil: privacy theories aside) but what blows me away is that it can identify my 6 year old son from the pictures we took of him right after birth until today. It's madness.

I was wondering if facial recognition software would keep up as people age. That's cool!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

spincube posted:

Occasionally Google Maps will notice that you've taken some photos at a certain location; and ask you, via notification, to upload them to Maps. You can turn this off from inside the Maps app, it's something like 'your content'. Google Photos doesn't share anything with anyone by default.

My folks live a 1/4 mile away from a greasy gyro place. GMaps constantly asks me to upload photos I take at their house to the restaurant's page. Never happens anywhere else for any other restaurant.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Apparently, 7.5% of Verizon's activations last month were with the Pixel (vs around 1-2% for all other carriers.)

They are really driving people to this phone.

This will probably be the best selling 'Google' device yet.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

bull3964 posted:

Apparently, 7.5% of Verizon's activations last month were with the Pixel (vs around 1-2% for all other carriers.)

They are really driving people to this phone.

This will probably be the best selling 'Google' device yet.

Several people I've talked to said they'd get one if they were on Verizon. Them marketing this thing at all puts it way ahead of anything from the Nexus line, and you can tell it's effective because no one seems to know you can get it direct and unlocked.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I believe the stats I saw were that Google has spent $15 mil marketing the Pixel and Verizon has spent $12 mil.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Does anyone have a moto g plus? Do you like it? What's annoying about it?Fry's has the 64g for 200 after tax. I need a work phone that supports Verizon network.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

See a couple of posts above. If you can do device payment plans, you should be able to nab a Pixel for $240 Friday.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Do you need to be on Verizon to get that deal? Or could I just walk in and put it on ATT or whatever in my car in the parking lot?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

jokes posted:

Do you need to be on Verizon to get that deal? Or could I just walk in and put it on ATT or whatever in my car in the parking lot?

You need to buy it on a device payment plan and in order to do that it needs to be attached to a line of service.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Stan Taylor posted:

Several people I've talked to said they'd get one if they were on Verizon. Them marketing this thing at all puts it way ahead of anything from the Nexus line, and you can tell it's effective because no one seems to know you can get it direct and unlocked.

As someone who wasn't really considering one due to the price and thus doing no research, I definitely got the impression it was a Verizon-exclusive and wouldn't work on other networks based strictly on ads and headlines. So yeah, pretty effective marketing.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

jokes posted:

The pixel deal is based on line credit refunded over 24 months period so if you skip town to ATT it won't work. I'm currently with Verizon thru a MVNO so it wouldn't work for me either.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I checked Droid life and they are saying only Pixel not the XL

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

lostleaf posted:

Does anyone have a moto g plus? Do you like it? What's annoying about it?Fry's has the 64g for 200 after tax. I need a work phone that supports Verizon network.

I have the 64GB G4 Plus. It was $250 when I got it instead of the original $300 and at that price, I thought it was an excellent deal. $200 for me would be a no brainer. The screen is really nice, it's well calibrated and has decent black levels for an LCD. 1080p is more than enough for me as I don't miss having the 1440p display of my X Pure Edition. It handles the apps I use (mostly Youtube, play music, Awful, FB) without much complaint even though it has some real slow CPU cores. Battery usually gets me 5.5ish hours of SOT, and it supports quickcharging. All the good Moto stuff is there. Basically stock Android, moto display (doesn't have the IR sensors, but will illuminate for notifications and when the phone is tilted), twist-to-cam, shake-to-light. I actually really like the fingerprint sensor on the front, I'm always touching it to wake up the phone (about 1 second) while it's sitting on my desk. I like having all my Amazon movies and shows downloaded to the SD card. Between internal and external storage I have 128GB.

The camera takes pretty nice daytime photos (comparable to some phones in the 400 dollar range), but starts to struggle in low light[see below]. Still, it's no worse than my X Pure Edition (might even be a little better in low light). Headphone output is lacking compared to higher end devices, but I pretty much use bluetooth headphones anyways. I had picked up this phone as a stopgap device, but I'll probably hold onto it till some new flagships come out next year.

sorry...filters...
2016-10-24_11-12-00 by Mental Hospitality, on Flickr
2016-10-24_11-16-58 by Mental Hospitality, on Flickr

Edit: It's supposed to get 7.0 (not 7.1) before the end of the year, but we'll see.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Nov 23, 2016

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

lostleaf posted:

My wife has one and she likes it. Came from a nexus 5 and is having a bit of trouble adjusting to the bigger size but she has small hands.

Likes the camera and screen.

But if you do the Verizon pixel bf deal that's probably a good idea

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Google Photos is fantastic at what it does (:tinfoil: privacy theories aside) but what blows me away is that it can identify my 6 year old son from the pictures we took of him right after birth until today. It's madness.

It recognizes my cats by name.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

How do you guys feel about screen protectors?

My phone (S7) came with a screen protector that has gotten kinda banged up now. I've learned it has Gorilla glass 4 which seems pretty resistant to scratches and marks based on the videos I've seen on youtube. I'm thinking of just peeling the protector off and letting it hang free

What do you guys think?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

FAUXTON posted:

It recognizes my cats by name.

I had a pic that it said my friend was in but I didn't see him. Turns out he was way in the background of a crowd and I had no idea he was at that event. It's nuts.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Wacky Delly posted:

The attachment holds the battery in, so it'll get turned off when it loses power.

I think the Moto Z is the right way to do modular stuff, but I also think it's all overpriced and moronic gimmicks. I likely won't own any of the addons short of maybe a battery back.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com has a wonderful deal on a well reviewed (and frankly, iphone 5S level beautiful) midranger:

Included items:
- clear TPU case
- 9V 2A quickcharger (47% in 30 minutes) plus cable, selfie stick, usb-c to micro usb adapter
- black or white JBL on-ear bluetooth headphones
- Dr. Strange gift has no description yet
Plus the stuff that normally comes with the phone.
The white and black 32/64gb models have this deal too.

I don't have any real issues with the software as presented in video reviews (I actually approve of all notifications needing to be whitelisted by default), so I just wanted opinions/derision.
No sales taxes for Canada (another 55 bucks) makes it even more tempting.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I checked Droid life and they are saying only Pixel not the XL

The Verizon press release says both, but doesn't give a price for the xl. Sounds like it'll get a discount, but not down to $10 a month.

http://www.verizon.com/about/news/get-latest-google-pixel-phones-daydream-virtual-reality-headset-and-now-google-home-verizon

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Away all Goats posted:

How do you guys feel about screen protectors?

My phone (S7) came with a screen protector that has gotten kinda banged up now. I've learned it has Gorilla glass 4 which seems pretty resistant to scratches and marks based on the videos I've seen on youtube. I'm thinking of just peeling the protector off and letting it hang free

What do you guys think?

I don't have a protector but I do have a bumper that puts a raised rim around the screen.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
So I just received my Pixel and it did something I never thought possible: It ran Snapchat fluidly. While downloading 50 apps and my music collection in the background. Let that sink in for a minute. I would have been impressed by Snapchat alone. But all while pulling my backups? Incredible. Black magic! These Google people are loving wizwards.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

AlexF posted:

So I just received my Pixel and it did something I never thought possible: It ran Snapchat fluidly. While downloading 50 apps and my music collection in the background. Let that sink in for a minute. I would have been impressed by Snapchat alone. But all while pulling my backups? Incredible. Black magic! These Google people are loving wizwards.

unpossible.

Seriously. I have never had any flagship phone from any OEM not run that app like poo poo.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Maker Of Shoes posted:

unpossible.

Seriously. I have never had any flagship phone from any OEM not run that app like poo poo.

Snapchat on my Pixel XL works almost flawlessly. It's like magic.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I just came.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
The Android Thread: Even Snapchat works on a Pixel

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I had a pic that it said my friend was in but I didn't see him. Turns out he was way in the background of a crowd and I had no idea he was at that event. It's nuts.

There's a photo of my grandparents from their wedding day that I've always liked, and after my grandfather passed I took a photo of the photo so I could have a copy. Google figured out that the woman in the black-and-white-photo-of-a-photo was the same woman in all my other photos of her from like 60 years later. loving dark magic.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Welp, the first impression is kinda gone: My volume buttons are wobbling. Googling the issue it seems I'm not the only one. How are your phones? I'd not be as disappointed if this was a midrange phone. But for 760€ it's not too much to ask for perfection, right?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

AlexF posted:

Welp, the first impression is kinda gone: My volume buttons are wobbling. Googling the issue it seems I'm not the only one. How are your phones? I'd not be as disappointed if this was a midrange phone. But for 760€ it's not too much to ask for perfection, right?

My buttons are very clicky and tight, almost too stiff. Sorry for your loss :(

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
I'm thinking about getting a replacement for my Sony Xperia Z3 Compact.

Is the Z5 Compact or the X Compact the current "flagship mini?"

What is the precise difference? All I want is a phone that isn't huge and I really liked the Z3C. I liked the waterproofing and the basic no whistles OS.

(Maker of Shoes, enlighten me on how to shootmans better in Crucible and what phone I should get, thanks!)

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Insane Totoro posted:

I'm thinking about getting a replacement for my Sony Xperia Z3 Compact.

Is the Z5 Compact or the X Compact the current "flagship mini?"

What is the precise difference? All I want is a phone that isn't huge and I really liked the Z3C. I liked the waterproofing and the basic no whistles OS.

(Maker of Shoes, enlighten me on how to shootmans better in Crucible and what phone I should get, thanks!)

I'm really out of the loop to be honest. I bought a Nexus 6 a year ago, left it alone and have been pretty happy with it. Still too big though. I'll get a Pixel at some point but I'm in no hurry.

Hopefully someone more informed can answer here.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I'm really out of the loop to be honest. I bought a Nexus 6 a year ago, left it alone and have been pretty happy with it. Still too big though. I'll get a Pixel at some point but I'm in no hurry.

Hopefully someone more informed can answer here.

My world is shattered :(

Next you'll tell me you've bought four identical S5s or something equally heartbreaking and you've beaten Candy Crush on all of them.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

AlexF posted:

Side to side? Mine do have a bit of wobble left to right, I'd say hardly enough to matter though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Yay I got my pixel xl! I love it but why is the charging so slow? My nexus 6 charged like lightning

AnonymousNarcotics fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 24, 2016