Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

botany posted:

It is loving hilarious to me that there are actual, real life people in this thread who, in a conflict between protestors and US cops, assume that it's the cops who are telling the truth.

Anything that disrupts my world view disrupts everything I believe in. It's all I have left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
So there's a ton of by the minute videos from a guy livestreaming from the other night that nobody's mentioned itt yet so if you want, just google up Kevin Gilbertt dapl. His video shows a small fire spring up spontaneously and then get snuffed out in seconds, it's not really possible to tell what started it.

Details I hadn't heard mentioned so far include the materials of the bridge barricade - two burnt dump trucks parked nose to nose. I hadn't realized that they've been there for weeks and the authorities refuse to remove them. As Uglycat posted, what was going on that night was they had successfully hooked up one of the dump truck hulks and dragged it off the bridge and into the road, before the police and guard showed up in real force and began firing tear gas and using a water cannon directly on protestors when they got bottled up on the bridge. There were no fires on or near the bridge.

Dead Reckoning posted:

The majority of the pipeline is constructed on private lands and requires no federal permits. The ACoE has to approve construction at the 209 points where it crosses the waterways of the United States. The ACoE believes that they have met their obligation to review the environmental and cultural impacts of the project at these points. The ACoE also has to consult with affected native tribes. They are not required to act on the tribes' input. The Corps has demonstrated that they made a good faith effort to consult with the Standing Rock.

The tribe has argued that, since the pipeline would not be built without the 209 crossings, the ACoE should do an environmental and cultural review of the entire pipeline, one during which they would be required to consult tribes again, rather than just reviewing the crossings. The courts have rejected this idea.
You're using blatantly false information to prop up your entire argument. http://www.usace.army.mil/Media/News-Releases/News-Release-Article-View/Article/1003593/statement-regarding-the-dakota-access-pipeline/

quote:

Washington, D.C. – Today, the Army informed the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe, Energy Transfer Partners, and Dakota Access, LLC, that it has completed the review that it launched on September 9, 2016. The Army has determined that additional discussion and analysis are warranted in light of the history of the Great Sioux Nation’s dispossessions of lands, the importance of Lake Oahe to the Tribe, our government-to-government relationship, and the statute governing easements through government property.

Also there's the whole thing with private landowners also being walked over by their bullying style of using easements because the pipeline is supposedly some sort of necessary piece of public infrastructure and not a wholly private piece of construction.

Uglycat posted:

There is /not/ cohesive leadership.

Red Warrior is camp security. They have been asked by Standing Rock to leave. There's a variety of other groups at play too; each camp has their own elders, there's the AIM crowd, there's Rainbow, there's Occupy and Burner folk... it's pretty much an autonomous zone - but people /do not/ disrespect the elders.
Self-appointed security is always a really scary sign of things getting dangerous. These guys basically sound like a passle of Lavoy Finicums.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Dead Reckoning posted:

Complaining about "legalism" is the last resort of people who have no legal argument for why their desires should prevail.

I know you've been posting your drivel for years now and I'm unlikely to change that distorted version of reality you call your home, but for anyone else reading this: Complaining about legalism is an acknowledgement of the fact that there's a difference between morality and the law, and that the latter is supposed to encode the former. So when there's a conflict between morality and the law, it's supremely idiotic to accuse those on the side of morality of not having a legal argument for their position. That's entirely the point, you moron.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

DeusExMachinima posted:

If you take a look at photos of people who've been injured by flashbangs, like that kid in the crib a while back, flashbangs leave burn wounds. Potentially very severe ones. They don't blast open your arm down to the bone. Something else caused that and whether the cops were throwing lethal grenades or the girl had an explosive device, someone made a really bad decision.

I don't know if you fully understand how concussion propagates though flesh. Broken upper arm bones and burst flesh from shoulder to elbow is fully consistent with a concussion grenade going off on the inside of the arm, according to medics.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I am seeing conflicting sources. Has the national guard deployed to standing rock or just police?

Also concussion grenades are not flashbang grenades, correct me if I'm wrong but conc grenades are designed to kill/injure via overpressure (and have explosives in them), flashbangs are designed to disorient/stun.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Elendil004 posted:

I am seeing conflicting sources. Has the national guard deployed to standing rock or just police?
http://www.kfyrtv.com/content/news/ND-National-Guard-to-increase-presence-to-help-with-DAPL-protests-401733066.html

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So it seems MIGF has taken to drunk-spamming me with PMs - since putting him on ignore doesn't block pms, I'll have to settle for public shaming:

gently caress off, you're either dumb or a sad gimmick.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Flashbangs, tasers, CS, batons, rubber bullets, etc etc are also OK as they are less-lethal devices. If you're trespassing or starting fires on someone else's property (and there is no exception for wanting to stay warm or make tea) you're gonna get a response.

Nice to know the deployment of chemical agents on unarmed civilians is OK in your book

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

MIGF PMed me a couple times with some dumb troll attempt. Some people have nothing better to do.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Recoome posted:

Nice to know the deployment of chemical agents on unarmed civilians is OK in your book

CS is a chemical agent in the loosest definition and a pretty dumb thing to nitpick.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Recoome posted:

Yeah, it's awful how quick some people are to rationalize potentially deadly weapons against their fellow citizens. I'm willing to be he/she has never seen someone hit by a rubber bullet IRL.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Elendil004 posted:

CS is a chemical agent in the loosest definition and a pretty dumb thing to nitpick.

Using tear gas in a war is literally a war crime under the geneva convention. The geneva convention just doesn't ban what you can do to your own citizens.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Elendil004 posted:

ughhhhhhh but it is a chemical right???

There's also suggestions that it's actually pretty damaging so I guess I wonder why you want to minimise the potential for harm here

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Using tear gas in a war is literally a war crime under the geneva convention. The geneva convention just doesn't ban what you can do to your own citizens.

America doesn't care about the Geneva convention regardless :ssh:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Imagine the worldview of a person who actually thinks stomping your own citizens with concussion grenades and gas is a cool and good thing.

Preeeeetty edgy

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Recoome posted:

Imagine the worldview of a person who actually thinks stomping your own citizens with concussion grenades and gas is a cool and good thing.

Preeeeetty edgy

They are occupying land that doesnt belong to them (without the benefit of the US Cavelry)

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Tias posted:

So it seems MIGF has taken to drunk-spamming me with PMs - since putting him on ignore doesn't block pms, I'll have to settle for public shaming:

gently caress off, you're either dumb or a sad gimmick.

Yeah he does that, I told him to go gently caress himself and he stopped.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Rated PG-34 posted:

That is for sure, but the fact it's literally a war crime is a pretty good indication that some people take it quite seriously.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Rated PG-34 posted:

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The convention refers to it as "riot control agents" and explicitly states that it does not ban its usage for domestic policing applications.

Trying to run with "lol it's a war crime" in regards to riot control stuff is exceptionally loving stupid and misses that the purposes of the geneva conventions is greater in scope then "this is so horrible it can't even be used in war". Case in point: the use of hollow point bullets is banned under the geneva conventions. Why? Because they tend to maim rather than kill outright, which on the battlefield can lead unnecessarily long and agonizing deaths. Law enforcement on the other hand almost exclusively uses hollow point bullets. Why? because the tend to maim instead of outright kill, so they can take your rear end to the hospital and you might survive (they also tend to not overpenetrate and hit bystanders)

Recoome posted:

100% yes, completely okay, what the gently caress is wrong with you?

XMNN posted:

for further evidence that small charges of magnesium and perchlorate designed to produce a bright light and a loud bang can mutilate hands, why not visit your local hospital on or about your culturally appropriate date for getting really drunk and setting off shitloads of fireworks

You idiots with the flashbang talk have no idea what you're talking about. Can a flash/conc cause that sort of damage? Potentially yes, but it requires very specific circumstances and it's extremely unlikely. Very small blasts that are normally not dangerous can be extremely damaging if the pressure wave is contained. This is why firecrackers blow fingers off when in a clenched fist but realistically would only cause severe burns/flesh wound in an open hand. The sort of damage evidenced in that photograph would be consistent with the worst case scenario of the grenade being pinned between the woman's arm and torso, which is possible but how does that even happen?

With any sort of open space the blast from those devices is too small to cause any significant sort of blast wounds, which is why examples of wounds from them is usually bad burns.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Jarmak posted:

Trying to run with "lol it's a war crime" in regards to riot control stuff is exceptionally loving stupid and misses that the purposes of the geneva conventions is greater in scope then "this is so horrible it can't even be used in war". Case in point: the use of hollow point bullets is banned under the geneva conventions. Why? Because they tend to maim rather than kill outright, which on the battlefield can lead unnecessarily long and agonizing deaths. Law enforcement on the other hand almost exclusively uses hollow point bullets. Why? because the tend to maim instead of outright kill, so they can take your rear end to the hospital and you might survive (they also tend to not overpenetrate and hit bystanders)

Care to provide a link to this "police are trained to shoot to wound" theory you have?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Care to provide a link to this "police are trained to shoot to wound" theory you have?

They're not and that's not what I said

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Jarmak posted:

They're not and that's not what I said

Oh, so they are being told to shoot to kill and are simply being handed bullets that hamstring them by being more likely to simply maim? Like there is a conspiracy to trick them? By undercutting their training?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Jarmak posted:

100% yes, completely okay, what the gently caress is wrong with you?

Hahaha yes sorry gassing civilians is a cool and good thing, and only normal and not-unhinged people think that

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Oh, so they are being told to shoot to kill and are simply being handed bullets that hamstring them by being more likely to simply maim? Like there is a conspiracy to trick them? By undercutting their training?

How about I just cede your stunning lack of understanding right now so we can skip the page of dumb non-sequiturs about police procedure and get to the point: are you actually suggesting hollow points aren't banned because of their overly injurious nature?

Edit: also are you claiming the same Geneva convention you're trying to use as an argument doesn't explicitly states that tear gas is perfectly fine for police use?

Edit 2: I'm also going to guess you don't understand that tear gas can be made in much higher concentrations that is used in riot control.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 23, 2016

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

"This piece of legislation/agreement says/doesn't say that X is good/bad so therefore I am fine with shooting/stomping/gassing protesters with rubber bullets/chemical agents/grenades/jackboots"

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Recoome posted:

"This piece of legislation/agreement says/doesn't say that X is good/bad so therefore I am fine with shooting/stomping/gassing protesters with rubber bullets/chemical agents/grenades/jackboots"

"This is bad because this legislation says it is, unless of course someone points out to me that that isn't what the legislation says in which case only fascists base their case for morality on legislation"

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Recoome posted:

Hahaha yes sorry gassing civilians is a cool and good thing, and only normal and not-unhinged people think that

Well it's what everyone was calling for during the militia occupation, if not outright calling for their murder. People here are giant hypocrites it turns out!

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Jarmak posted:

only fascists base their case for morality on legislation

i mean :shrug:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I find it telling that the nation's police forces are more willing to use non-lethal and lethal force against unarmed protestors - than they are about actual armed rebels.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Jarmak posted:

only fascists base their case for morality on legislation"

I am accusing you of basing your morality off legislation so cool I guess

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Tear gas isn't addressed in the Geneva Conventions, it's covered under the Chemical Weapons Convention, which specifically allows the manufacture and domestic use of riot control agents, so maybe get your LOAC straight.

Using hollow points and not advancing prisoners their regular financial stipend are actually war crimes under the GC, but I don't see what that has to do with the price of tea in China, since police aren't soldiers and vice versa.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Dec 12, 2016

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Recoome posted:

I am accusing you of basing your morality off legislation so cool I guess

I wasn't making a morality from legislation arguement I was countering one so cool I guess

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

coyo7e posted:

I find it telling that the nation's police forces are more willing to use non-lethal and lethal force against unarmed protestors - than they are about actual armed rebels.

I wish it was surprising, but you know how it goes with authoritarians. They're at their happiest when they can apply the maximum amount of remotely justifiable force to a target which is not a threat to them.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Liquid Communism posted:

I wish it was surprising, but you know how it goes with authoritarians. They're at their happiest when they can apply the maximum amount of remotely justifiable force to a target which is not a threat to them.
Looking at my post I should have used "criminals" instead of "rebels". I apologize for whitewashing the militiamen even more than they already are :downsrim:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

coyo7e posted:

Looking at my post I should have used "criminals" instead of "rebels". I apologize for whitewashing the militiamen even more than they already are :downsrim:

also notice how easily the bundys got their message out to the media, while the DAPL protesters are still suffering a media blackout

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
https://www.facebook.com/paul.blumekmsp/videos/1115197865202714/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED

The injured woman's father going over what happened and how it played out and why. Not the first time I've heard she got shot by rubber bullets a few times as well.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

botany posted:

I know you've been posting your drivel for years now and I'm unlikely to change that distorted version of reality you call your home, but for anyone else reading this: Complaining about legalism is an acknowledgement of the fact that there's a difference between morality and the law, and that the latter is supposed to encode the former. So when there's a conflict between morality and the law, it's supremely idiotic to accuse those on the side of morality of not having a legal argument for their position. That's entirely the point, you moron.
On the contrary, law and morality are orthogonal. The proper role of law is to define the relationship between citizens and the state/society, not to encode morality. Most people would agree that adultery is immoral, but far fewer think it should be illegal. Not everything immoral is illegal, and not every lawful action is moral. Complaining that the law does not prohibit someone from doing something you find morally objectionable is like complaining that you've been working out and eating right, but your car still doesn't go any faster.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 24, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Dead Reckoning posted:

On the contrary, law and morality are orthogonal. The proper role of law is to define the relationship between citizens and the state/society, not to encode morality. Most people would agree that adultery is immoral, but far fewer think it should be illegal. Not everything immoral is illegal, and not every lawful action is moral. Complaining that the law does not prohibit someone from doing something you find morally objectionable is like complaining that you've been working out and eating right, but your car still doesn't go any faster.
Yet with all of this brilliant-sounding yet thin copy-pasta adds nothing to the discussion, adds nothing to your premise, and still hasn't changed.

https://www.quora.com/Is-there-anything-legal-but-immoral

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Dead Reckoning posted:

What? Of course a major purpose of the law is to encode morality and to influence people's ethical beliefs. I always get annoyed when progressives whine about conservative Christians 'legislating morality' when they really are complaining about conservative Christians legislating the wrong morality, in their opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Source - http://homebrave.com/home-of-the-brave//standing-rock-part-one

• Locked thread