Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
That's super useful, thanks Mal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Venture
Sep 26, 2011

??? posted:

· The more powerful you make a character, the more power it contributes to a ship
· Mods DO calculate into the power, but the stats don’t matter. The max for this would be to use 5 star mods at level 15 in all slots. This would be the same if you used speed mods or health mods, doesn’t matter, power contributed to ships is the same between both.
· Character ability levels do play a part in power towards the ship. So those that may have skipping leveling a leader ability for example may want to do so as this will power up the ship.
· Level and Star rating of a character also play a part in contributing to the power of a ship

I tested these except for mods (none to spare) and can confirm. It's pretty straightforward, you just check your ship's power level, make a change to the pilot, then check back.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Where are you getting info on the zeta abilities?

Edit: nevermind. It's in game. Do only some characters get zeta?

Dr. Venture
Sep 26, 2011

UmOk posted:

Do only some characters get zeta?

For now that's what it looks like. I'm sure they will add more in the future.

dandaman
Dec 30, 2005

Holy crap @ Fives Zeta leader ability.

Gains 15% turn meter when clone ally takes damage and half that when non-clone ally is hit

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Vulpes posted:

That's super useful, thanks Mal.

Dr. Venture posted:

I tested these except for mods (none to spare) and can confirm. It's pretty straightforward, you just check your ship's power level, make a change to the pilot, then check back.

Being in TI has some pretty big perks.

spamman5r
Oct 2, 2008
I'm coming back for laser ships and I'm looking to get into Ima GoonDi, please

spamman5r
629-545-645

dandaman
Dec 30, 2005

A merge needs to happen for IGD and QGJ

two_step
Sep 2, 2011

spamman5r posted:

I'm coming back for laser ships and I'm looking to get into Ima GoonDi, please

spamman5r
629-545-645

Guild invite sent

dandaman posted:

A merge needs to happen for IGD and QGJ

I don't think we can. We now have 1 spot in IGD, and one dude who hasn't logged in for 6 days, so will probably have one more spot. I assume QGJ has more than 2 active people?

Are there any actives left in GGA? Those guys should get into QGJ, and then maybe someone in QGJ can let us know how many active people there are in guild?

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

heh, you think you can withstand the power of my solarbeam?

two_step posted:

Guild invite sent

I don't think we can. We now have 1 spot in IGD, and one dude who hasn't logged in for 6 days, so will probably have one more spot. I assume QGJ has more than 2 active people?

Are there any actives left in GGA? Those guys should get into QGJ, and then maybe someone in QGJ can let us know how many active people there are in guild?

at some point I'm going to be down to kick people who are not raiding, only 33 people attacked the tank today. I know it's not fun and a slog, but at least spend a couple minutes and auto it please.

Dr. Venture
Sep 26, 2011
We also need to be able to gauge our progress in T6 so we know how close we are to doing T7.

dandaman
Dec 30, 2005

two_step posted:

Guild invite sent

Shoot me an invite to that last spot please

666-214-946
Masakari

Karzon
Oct 15, 2002

Malgrin posted:

Yeah, it's weird, cause my 5*, G9 level 85 TFP has 0 protection for his ship. Hopefully G10 6* will fix that...

Everyone knows TIE fighters don't have shields.

My TIE also has 0 protection. Poe's crew ability wrecks TIEs because of that.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Venture posted:

We also need to be able to gauge our progress in T6 so we know how close we are to doing T7.

Being able to do T7 requires every raider having 4 different teams capable of laying 2% of the damage in a phase.

It's a hard bar to clear on F2P unless you've been playing since day 1.

Boozie
Feb 2, 2013
Should i be focusing on pumping Biggs and JC ships or just spreading thin to get enough 2 star ships?

If spreading thin which ships are people going for?

Boozie fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 23, 2016

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Boozie posted:

Should i be focusing on pumping Biggs and JC ships or just spreading thin to get enough 2 star ships?

You want to spread out the levels so you can do the higher tiers of challenges. You'll eventually need 7 five star ships, so at this point there's not a lot of need to focus on a particular one.

two_step
Sep 2, 2011

dandaman posted:

Shoot me an invite to that last spot please

666-214-946
Masakari

Accepted. I kicked out whatever mceffort, who I think used to play, but hasn't shown as logged in for 6 days. If you are still playing, post here and we can kick out Tab's 2nd account or something.

Davethulhu posted:

You want to spread out the levels so you can do the higher tiers of challenges. You'll eventually need 7 five star ships, so at this point there's not a lot of need to focus on a particular one.

So much this. I really think racing to get to the tier of the ability material challenge that gives out Zeta mats is going to be important, especially as it seems like they might be using zeta abilities as a way to boost less useful characters. Having a bunch of ships all at 3*, 4* or 5* also gets you access to the next level of the fleet commander thing, which means you get an additional star on your fleet commander ship. I've switched my cantina energy to farming Plo Koon's ship for this reason, and am also making sure to do the one hard node I have access to every day as well.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Stolen from reddit. I´ve been playing practically since launch and remember all of these :)

quote:

Do you remember:

When First Order TIE Pilot and Princess Leia were overpowered?
This mostly came down to either bugs or design yet there was a time when FOTP and Leia simply were overpowered. FOTP's strength stat was just way to high, giving him the health of a tank while still having a extremly high damage. Leia on the other side had a bug that made here triple or even quadra attack quite frequently.

Darth Sidious and the Heal Immunity meta?
The first staple teams people started farming (besides our dear whales) were mostly Chewie, healers and damage dealers. It basicly came down to who ever could heal more and survive longer. One of the first ever "metas" was having Darth Sidious and his healing immunity. In turn this made Barriss Offee, who was still a chromium hero back then, very popular because her heal wasn't affected by the healing immunity.

Poe Dameron and the Droid One-Hit-Aoe meta?
What is better then a drawn out fight with healers? Yeah, just straight up killing the enemy. Droids were always strong and nothing has really changed, but back then they didn't have Jawa Engineer to boost their speed. They were generally to slow to compete. This changed when the first level cap increase came and Poe Dameron gained enough speed to basicly act first. He taunted, exposed, reduced the enemies turn meter and the droids went crazy. Back then there were no mods.. you couldn't increase another hero speed. The stats were fixed and almost made Poe a mandatory hero to compete.

Qui-Gon Jin and the Speed meta?
Shortly after the Poe domination Qui-Gon Jin moved from chromium exclusive into the cantina shipments. While QGJ's leader ability was not working for a while, when it eventually did .. it took over. Ever since speed and speed leaders have been a huge part of Galaxy of Heroes. Basicly you'd have a QGJ lead team wich was able to kill a droid or two (IG-86 or IG-88) before Poe got to act. Until the middle of April when protection was implemented one-hit-kills were perfectly normal.

Count Doku / Obiwan and the dodge meta?
After protection got implemented and their leader abilities got fixed Dooku and Old Ben just took over. It got quite bad. Even the official reddit had one of their only banner changes (http://imgur.com/oskuHAk).

When you had to abuse game mechanics to complete Galactic War?
In the first few months of Galaxy of Heroes the only way defeating Galactic War (for non-whales) was abusing game mechanics and trying your luck. Back then depending on who you targeted at the start of the match the AI would perform different actions on different team members. You could also let the enemy use all their abilities.. once force-closed and restartet all the negative effects on your team were gone, abilities were on cooldown and health stayed the same. Suicide-Squad were a common thing.. throwing in five random heros who'd soak up the enemies abilities. You would basicly have to restart the matches until you had the outcome you were happy with. Basicly you wanted your healers alive for the next round. If possible with their heals off cooldown. This to my mind was the the time when GW was the hardest to complete.

The precrafting fiasco?
At the start of April 2016 the developers announced that certain gear (raid gear) will require an extra 50 purple items. This was a few days before the changes actually went live. Funny enough they announced the changes on the first of April.. giving some people the impression this was a bad April-Fools joke. A day passed and nobody yelled "April Fools" so people started crafting as many of the mentioned items as possible. After the update hit there were those people who pre-crafted and those who didn't. Of course the pre-crafters had a huge advantage, but nothing was ever done from the side of the developers.

And the mod disaster?
This got handled similar to the precrafting issue. When mods went live there was one big difference to mods today (besides mods having ridiculus stats a la +12000 protection).. the drop rate from mod challenges was 100%. People who saved their cantina energy in anticipation got to farm a lot of mods without any risk. A few days later this got changed. Not only wasn't it a 100% chance anymore.. you weren't even guaranteed a five star mod. Again giving the advantage to the people who were fast enough.

When Royal Guard went from trash to meta over night?
Over the past year a lot of heros got adjusted, nerfed or completely changed. To my mind no other character went from that bad to that good over night as Royal Guard did. The problem was that his taunt had a chance of 20% of triggering.. making him to random to use. After the change you saw him everywhere.

When people in arena sniped rank 2 from rank 11?
Before the changes made to the rank progression people were able to jump from rank 11 straight to 2.. making it one of the most contested spots besides 1-4. You'd jump to either 2, 3 or 4 so you could then contest the number one spot.

When Old Daka revived herself?
There was a time when Old Daka's passive was able to revive herself making it even more of a game based on luck.

When dots did not kill and HK-47 broke your game?
For a long time dots were not able to kill your hero and left it at 1 health. HK-47 also had an interesting bug with dots for a while. When HK-47 revived after beeing killed while having dots applied your game would simply freeze.

When you were able to collect credits and training droids through key card events?
Forget events.. we had KEY CARD battles! You basicly would get two free key cards each day (1x credit key card / 1x training droid key card). Now with these you were able to unlock a Credit Event and Training Droid Event respectivly. Its not like these events were now free of charge.. nope. They cost a stupid amount of normal energy and the reward was way to low. They soon got removed.

When we had no free energy to collect throughout the day?
Speaking of the credit crunch.. there was a time when we didn't have ANY free energy to collect. Think about it.

When we had to click through the entire gear tree?
Nowadays you see a green plus symbol, you click on it and craft it. Back then you would have to go down the entire gear tree and craft every single piece required individually.

When arena only showed the leader and we had to guess the team behind it?
Forget seeing every single arena teammember, their mods and stats to see how you compare beforehand. Back then you would only see the leader, his level and gear. The rest you'd have to guess or be surprised by. See a Poggle lead? Lets see if there is a Poe hiding behind him.

When we had the Aurodium Data Pack?
The Aurodium Data Pack was basicly a pack with shards for a new character. It also came with credits and ability mats. The first ever Aurodium Data Pack was only available to people who spent 200$ or more. Making a lot of people realise how much they actually spent. Fun times.

When you could spend money for an "instant upgrade"
We know you can pay for a lot of things in Galaxy of Heroes, but there was this one feature (I don't know if it actually ever got removed?!) where you could pay a certain amount to straight out level and gear newly unlocked heros. (Example: http://i.imgur.com/x5Ala1I.png). To my mind I don't think anybody has ever bought this as it was one of the worst valued deals ever.

When everybody wanted to straight Omega Qui-Gon Jin and Geonosian Soldier?
Before the level cap increase to 80 came out some skill upgrades weren't completely thought through. QGJ's omegad leader ability before the changes had ALL heros gain his speed leader, not only Jedi. Since speed leads were the meta back then this would have been huge. In a similar fashion Geonosian Soldier's omega on his assist ability would have given it a cooldown of one. Yes.. assists all day long.

When cantina energy was purple?
Yes, it was purple. 'mind blown'

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Boozie posted:

Yeah, basically what Davethulu said, but I want to add to that. From what we can tell, JC's ship is really good. We know that Slave 1 is really, really good. We also know that Advanced Tie is one of the best ships in the game. This means you need to make a decision right now -- save your GW to compete in next week's tournament, or work on ships you can buy with GW credits. Since ship arena rewards are pretty flat until you get top 5, and even then you don't get crystals, I'm kinda thinking holding off on the fast grind to get DV's ship, which could be chromium only after this, is going to be a good idea.

The initial ships I'm planning on buying with Fleet Shipments:
G Soldier Starfighter
Imperial TF
JC Starfighter
Biggs Darklighter
Resistance X-Wing

Once I have those to 2*, I plan to put my fleet shipments into Slave 1. By then I'm hoping I can start putting GW shipments into JC and GS ships. It's definitely worth looking at the ships available in GW and Fleet Shipments (https://gyazo.com/816b85320334cdfb84baef9d6f6b6deb) and figuring out which ships you have heroes at 7* for, particularly if they are already geared.

My plan for 7 5* ships is the above five plus Slave 1 and Wedge's ship. I'll see how things are once I get to the point of having all of these to 2*, but at that point it might be worth replacing RP and JC with Fives and Poe, since I do have those two heroes leveled/geared (JC and RP are like 78/75 and G8, so not terrible, but Fives/Poe are G9+ and 80+).

Also, I would recommend putting any and all Cantina credits into credits (and droids when you're short) if you already have the really important heroes from there. Don't work on a 2nd tier hero over this.

e2: don't forget, you can farm JC's ship from Dark 8B hard, GS's ship from Light 9D hard, and Plo's ship from Cantina 7-F

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 23, 2016

Boozie
Feb 2, 2013
I have 7 star qgj and thats it i just finished him yesterday. I was thinking about boba fett next what do you think. I dont particularly need daka yet with palpatine ally use.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Malgrin posted:

Also, I would recommend putting any and all Cantina credits into credits (and droids when you're short) if you already have the really important heroes from there. Don't work on a 2nd tier hero over this.

Boozie posted:

I have 7 star qgj and thats it i just finished him yesterday. I was thinking about boba fett next what do you think. I dont particularly need daka yet with palpatine ally use.

Yeah, Boba is going to be insanely good. That message is really for the people like me that are debating whether to farm Stormtrooper or Mob Enforcer....

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Malgrin posted:

Yeah, Boba is going to be insanely good. That message is really for the people like me that are debating whether to farm Stormtrooper or Mob Enforcer....

What about Ahsoka?

edit:

gently caress it, I'll just start spending it on credits.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 23, 2016

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I want an all Empire fleet...which is not going to happen for a while.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Mr. Neutron posted:

I want an all Empire fleet...which is not going to happen for a while.

Yeah....

Also, I just now realized I bought 2 GSpy ship shipments...god loving damnit.

Chilichimp posted:

What about Ahsoka?

edit:

gently caress it, I'll just start spending it on credits.

I mean, she's not bad, but, I have her at 185/85, and haven't even considered starting on gear/levels. I'm focusing on ships for heroes that are at least somewhat in range of 80 (except when I accidentally buy GSPY loving GOD DAMNIT)

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
You guys have probably already figured this out, but my original crosswalk for farmable ships/crew was poo poo because there's some rotation each reset.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
Does anyone want a level 60 account? GW is accomplishable (but it's a little hard cause no Lumi -- very ready for the Wedge farming at 69). Top 5 is pretty easy daily, only a couple whales. Also the ship tournament is super easy. Basically I'm bored, and it's taking too long.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Malgrin posted:

Does anyone want a level 60 account? GW is accomplishable (but it's a little hard cause no Lumi -- very ready for the Wedge farming at 69). Top 5 is pretty easy daily, only a couple whales. Also the ship tournament is super easy. Basically I'm bored, and it's taking too long.

Twink accounts are a bad idea, imo.

I played one for a few months on bluestacks and I just burned out.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

Twink accounts are a bad idea, imo.

I played one for a few months on bluestacks and I just burned out.

Yeah, but arena and ship stuff is so easy....

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Malgrin posted:

Since ship arena rewards are pretty flat until you get top 5, and even then you don't get crystals

I really like this aspect of ships. I mean, I half expect they're going to rework it and add more tiers later (and probably more PvE battles), but when it's first launching and people hardly have anything it's nice to have enough guaranteed income to get you up and moving. I dumped a little pocket change leveling and lowbie-gearing the starter guys, but that's just to hold me over until some of my good characters get their ships.

I also love that life has been steadily improving for poor old Plo Koon. :neckbeard: Seems like an increasingly good time for Jedi teams in general.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

mushroom_spore posted:

I really like this aspect of ships. I mean, I half expect they're going to rework it and add more tiers later (and probably more PvE battles), but when it's first launching and people hardly have anything it's nice to have enough guaranteed income to get you up and moving. I dumped a little pocket change leveling and lowbie-gearing the starter guys, but that's just to hold me over until some of my good characters get their ships.

I also love that life has been steadily improving for poor old Plo Koon. :neckbeard: Seems like an increasingly good time for Jedi teams in general.

Just wait until you can get GK (I honestly still don't have that many shards though...6/raid every 3 days is really goddamn low)...although QGJ lead is also sounding really good right now.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
So what's the best use for ship tokens right now? I'm leaning towards Zetas and Sun Fac

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

UmOk posted:

So what's the best use for ship tokens right now? I'm leaning towards Zetas and Sun Fac

I would purchase ships for heroes that you have. If you have Sun Fac, that's probably smart, otherwise, I'd go with ships like JC, Biggs, and Geo Soldier.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
What a good capitol to use? I have Tarkin/Ackbar/Windu and have been using Tarkin so far.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Popete posted:

What a good capitol to use? I have Tarkin/Ackbar/Windu and have been using Tarkin so far.

They all have advantages. Warrior from TI (who got access to maxed ships and posted on youtube) swears by Mace Windu. I think that if have a bunch of Imperial ships (there's like one right now), Tarkin will be insane. I'm messing around with AA cause mine is really high power, so seems like a good idea.

Boozie
Feb 2, 2013
Should i still focus rey for guild rewards? Right now im farming her at 3 ls/ds spots as well but im thinking about swapping that ls/ds energy over to JC who is only 4 stars.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

UmOk posted:

Do not buy zetas with ship tokens. You need like 20 of them to upgrade an ability and they cost 2000 each. Thats 20 shards.

Dr. Venture
Sep 26, 2011

Malgrin posted:

The initial ships I'm planning on buying with Fleet Shipments:
G Soldier Starfighter
Imperial TF
JC Starfighter
Biggs Darklighter
Resistance X-Wing

Once I have those to 2*, I plan to put my fleet shipments into Slave 1 .. . my plan for 7 5* ships is the above five plus Slave 1 and Wedge's ship.

I like your list, but my Imperial TF feels too drat squishy without shields. What do you think about Ashoka? Her ship can remove buffs (taunt) and that seems pretty drat useful. I also want to get Slave 1 after filling out a 2* team.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Dr. Venture posted:

I like your list, but my Imperial TF feels too drat squishy without shields. What do you think about Ashoka? Her ship can remove buffs (taunt) and that seems pretty drat useful. I also want to get Slave 1 after filling out a 2* team.

Yeah, her ship seems pretty solid. The problem is that at 1-2*, you'll barely be able to tell what's good. I mean, think about trying to judge your roster of heroes at 1*...The youtubers help a little, but barely. Obviously the Millenium Falcon and Slave 1 are going to be the best ships (out of that bunch), but we didn't hear much beyond that. I should be hearing more from my $$$ guild mates soonish though.

e: The context between the problem in knowing what's good at 1-2* is that you're also comparing against vastly different power levels for the heroes, and committing to a ship means you also need to star/level/gear/mod that hero too. For whatever reason, my clone sergeant seems really strong in space battle, even though I've put almost no resources into him. It makes me wonder if I should work on him, but that seems like a total waste when I've got RP, JC, GS, Biggs, Wedge, and Boba Fett all at 7*, while CS is 4* level 30. I have all the shards for Ahsoka, but she's 5* and level 50.

On top of that, I have a G10 AA, but he actually seems like the least good of the commanders, and Tarkin is 7* 80, but only G8 (and we all know G9 is where gear gets difficult). Meanwhile, Mace is level 1, 5* (I didn't have him unlocked until the event, so, on the one hand that was cool). Once there are 3-5 Imperial ships, I think his synergy will be pretty crazy. Until then I think he's the worst, but we will eventually have more imperial pilots (DV next week, then we can expect Veers for sure, and I'd expect at least one of the troopers -- they can all fly ships, even if they don't fly Ties, Storm and Shore seem most likely).

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Nov 24, 2016

Dr. Venture
Sep 26, 2011

Malgrin posted:

I should be hearing more from my $$$ guild mates soonish though.

I almost forgot about the whales. Definitely keep us updated.

Malgrin posted:

e: The context between the problem in knowing what's good at 1-2* is that you're also comparing against vastly different power levels for the heroes...

This is a good point. The reason I'm considering Ashoka is because I fought against a Mace commander and the taunts were just killing me. I couldn't attack anything of my choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Dr. Venture posted:

This is a good point. The reason I'm considering Ashoka is because I fought against a Mace commander and the taunts were just killing me. I couldn't attack anything of my choice.

I absolutely think that Mace is the best commander right now, and is the reason I am working on his shards. He also has the biggest selection of faction ships, which gives him the best synergy in the game (JC, Ahsoka, Plo, Clone Sergeant, Fives, Rex). This is followed by AA, but his synergy really isn't that great (extra protection and crit damage when they attack out of turn for Rebels -- which include Biggs, Wedge, Bistan + Scariff). Also, I think it's really dumb in general that FO and Empire, and Resistance and Rebels, don't have synergies. In both cases, one was born out of the other. I do get them wanting to have two distinct factions in this game for each era of movie (Separatist/Republic, Empire/Rebel, First Order/Resistance).