Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I didn't really love Bloodborne until my second time through I think. I spent most of my first time being frustrated until I found the Stake Driver. Baby's first souls game btw.

I tried DS1 years ago but thought it was boring as poo poo and I hate that bronze age time period/aesthetic of suits of armor and skeletons. Bloodborne's Victorian/gothic with bad*ss leather armor and emphasis on fast movement (i HATE shields in games unless they're solely a parry mechanic) was supremely my poo poo :getin:

I know I'm in the zone now when I look at each challenging boss as a puzzle which needs to be solved, which was definitely a lot of fun in the chalice dungeons on my arcane character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wonder if revisiting DS1 now would change your perspective on it.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

I'm playing through DS1 again with the Dark Wood Grain ring (makes you do sick fast flips instead of rolls) and 2handing the Shotel wearing the ninja set and I think it's the most fun playthrough I've had in it. There are so few cool down frames on that weapon that you can constantly flip in, carve a bitch up and flip back out. and the R2 goes through shields. I'm so fast and deadly.

Grandpa you should give it another shot with a build like that. And there are plenty of weird and crazy armor choices if you don't wanna look like a medieval guy.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

The only thing about dark souls (on PC) is needing to set up mods beforehand. DSfix is essential no matter what, if you are planning on playing online you'll also need DSCM. HQ retexture and the mod that lowers the lava brightness are both recommended as well. And you really ought to have a controller.

BUT once that's all squared away it's great. Although I guess all of this is a moot point if the medieval aesthetic really is a dealbreaker. You could make a shieldless bloodborne-esque build of course...

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

uh wait a minute

beep by grandpa posted:

...first time...Stake Driver...Baby's first souls game...

drat that's impressive. I never could figure out how to use the stake driver

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah, you don't need a shield at all. in preparation for bloodborne i ran a guy with sorcery in one hand and a katana in the other, and it was sick as hell.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

pharis's hat
velka set minus helmet
battle axe
halberd
crossbow, light
enough END for a light roll

mix and serve to taste

kalel fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 23, 2016

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
Ya so it sounds like you want to play DS1.. First things first. Your gonna need DSfix. Then you need to install DSCM, HQ shield texture remaster, Swords for Dark Souls live and Baby Bottle. And to be honest dude, the loving stake driver, really? that weird thing? *sigh* IDK if your gonna find what your looking for here

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's kinda true about DSfix though. The PC version of dark souls 1 is really really bad and they never fixed it. You have to remember it's a game that exists because of an Internet petition and I think the first PC game From released since their Kings Field mod tools?

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
ya but dsfix is the only one you really need. asides from Baby Bottle maybe

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
let's agree that what we really need are remasters of demon's and dark souls

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

rediscover posted:

Ya so it sounds like you want to play DS1.. First things first. Your gonna need DSfix. Then you need to install DSCM, HQ shield texture remaster, Swords for Dark Souls live and Baby Bottle. And to be honest dude, the loving stake driver, really? that weird thing? *sigh* IDK if your gonna find what your looking for here

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

let's agree that what we really need are remasters of demon's and dark souls

id rather they just made new games

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Ya. Plus those games aren't even really old enough to warrant remasters

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't have my PS3 plugged in anymore tho

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I imagine that some of Sony's staff would be involved with a DeS port, sort of like bloodborne

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

In Training posted:

Mods???????

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

In Training posted:

Oh boo hoo. Cry me a drat river

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Benny ds tips for defiled watchdog

Always dodge left or forward. On the bite where you would have to dodge right, backstep and attack

If you're good with the cane whip you can destroy his head really easily

With shorter range weapons always destroy his front right (your left) leg

This fight is ridiculously long. If you make mistakes early your best bet is to start over rather than waste ten minutes when you're gonna die anyway

Physical damage done to you in the defined chalice is reduced to match the reduction in your health, but for whatever reason elemental damage still hits full. This means that you can eat his swipes and survive but depending on your vit his fire attacks will destroy you. Never burn your stam bar attacking him, swing a couple times and get away

Edit also wear the bone ash set

Unexpected Raw Anime fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 23, 2016

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Am I imagining things or is there something that happens at the sparkly lake in forbidden woods

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

Am I imagining things or is there something that happens at the sparkly lake in forbidden woods

yeah I take a fresh, smoky rip.

folder
Oct 9, 2016

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

reeks of safe space

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Hauntingly Beautiful Lake in Bloodborne

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I guess I just imagined that I thought a quest event or something happened there

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010

rediscover posted:

Hauntingly Beautiful Lake in Bloodborne

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010
It does feel like there are a couple environments that originally had more going on that got cut back and now just exist as emptyish spaces. But I guess it helps it feel like an actual place in the world.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

sector_corrector posted:

this is the shittiest part of chalice dungeons. you can find a guide online without much problem where someone has put in a glyph that has ritual blood X as the first chest in a side room that takes almost no effort to get to. i don't even consider that cheating, really.

wish i'd thought of that. oh well, did the farming this morning while I couldn't sleep anyway

tonight, the run through the first layer of Ailing Loran and then praying I can get through the boss and to the chest with the claws at level 55

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I think I might actually give ds1 another shot before the end of the year... (i have it on pc and a 360 controller) I know enough about the game to know my quitting the game has an actual lore explanation- I hollowed out lol :)

What makes ds1 a wee bit scary for grandpa is how many stats and unexplained items in the game...it's overwhelming...

Imagine if I could import a hunter into DS1 like mass effect...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If you understand bloodborne you'll understand DS1. Everyone who says stuff isn't explained doesn't read all the text on screen that explains what everything is

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I'm convinced the unopenable door in cathedral ward next to the chest is just there to drive us insane

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

beep by grandpa posted:

I think I might actually give ds1 another shot before the end of the year... (i have it on pc and a 360 controller) I know enough about the game to know my quitting the game has an actual lore explanation- I hollowed out lol :)

What makes ds1 a wee bit scary for grandpa is how many stats and unexplained items in the game...it's overwhelming...

Imagine if I could import a hunter into DS1 like mass effect...

you should, dude. it's fun. like In Training said, the stats are all fairly straightforward, and souls are plentiful, so it's easy to level past mistakes, and the game itself doesn't really care about stats that much. you might be missing like half a hit of damage, or 30 points of attack rating if you mess up 4 or 5 points.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

All my bros have been begging me for literally months to return to azeroth with them...Maybe it's time for a pitstop in lordranwic first...or whatever(???)

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

beep by grandpa posted:

All my bros have been begging me for literally months to return to azeroth with them...Maybe it's time for a pitstop in lordranwic first...or whatever(???)

shameful

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

rediscover posted:

Ya. Plus those games aren't even really old enough to warrant remasters

the only games on ps4 and xbone are remasters and soon the only games on switch will be remasters

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

mysterious loyall X posted:

the only games on ps4 and xbone are remasters and soon the only games on switch will be remasters

The future is now

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

Have you considered not going back to an mmo and maybe like talking to girls and enjoying other great titles

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Earth to Unexpected Raw Anime...BUT...is my name smoothtalk by studmuffin or something? I didn't think so ffs...No offense.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

it's easy to get pussy.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

please contact your local animal shelter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

please contact your local animal shelter

Now if this isn't a play on words I dont know what is.