Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

IcePhoenix posted:

Then why did Napa come back to life?

[insert Holy Ghost joke]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Cavelcade posted:

This is a pretty bad opinion to have there my man. Not drinking with McNulty or Lester or Stringer? Son, that's just wrong.

Drinking with Stringer, I don't know if I'd be able to shake the concern that it'd be my final drink.

McNulty, same concern for a very different reason!

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Drinking with Stringer, I don't know if I'd be able to shake the concern that it'd be my final drink.

McNulty, same concern for a very different reason!

Those are the risks you gotta take to have a real good time.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
As bad as an idea as that is general, I'd shoot up and run capers with Bubbles.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
i'd share a drink with detective bunk just because he'd make me laugh the whole drat time

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Geez, I never realized just how dark Final Fantasy IX actually was before. It's actually a fairly depressing game despite the cheery and bright visuals, full of genocide, war, suffering and existential angst. It's not like VII where I misremembered what happened in the game so much as the themes of IX resonated with me more that I'm older and have experienced the loss of loved ones before. When I first played it, I never really thought about death much. I was kind of arrogant to think that things would be fine and that death is rare.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 23, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Geez, I never realized just how dark Final Fantasy IX actually was before. It's actually a fairly depressing game despite the cheery and bright visuals, full of genocide, war, suffering and existential angst. It's not like VII where I misremembered what happened in the game so much as the themes of IX resonated with me more that I'm older and have experienced the loss of loved ones before.

The plot of Final Fanasy IX is basically "you are going to die someday. Maybe later, maybe soon, but you, personally, are going to die. How are you going to deal with that?" With Vivi being the guy who deals with it shockingly well and Kuja being the guy who goes "No, gently caress ALL OF YOU!"

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
the plot of final fantasy 9 is a rip off of dragon ball actually

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

ImpAtom posted:

The plot of Final Fanasy IX is basically "you are going to die someday. Maybe later, maybe soon, but you, personally, are going to die. How are you going to deal with that?" With Vivi being the guy who deals with it shockingly well and Kuja being the guy who goes "No, gently caress ALL OF YOU!"

Also Zidane is there to be a slightly worse Vivi.

No disrespect to Zidane, Vivi is just great.

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

As bad as an idea as that is general, I'd shoot up and run capers with Bubbles.

Hey don't you be temptin' Bubbles back, he's clean now.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah. It's a plot I understood at the time but didn't appreciate until the past few years.

General Morden posted:

the plot of final fantasy 9 is a rip off of dragon ball actually

I'd argue it has more in common with Blade Runner of all things, especially given that the main villains are artificial beings desperately seeking for their life to be extended and trying to find a purpose to justify their own existence. Even the ending where Kuja finally saves the party from Necron and the collapsing Iifa Tree isn't too dissimilar from Roy Batty saving Deckard at the end of Blade Runner, having a moment of realization right before they both die. Though, yes, on a surface level it does resemble Dragon Ball.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
But is Kuja worse than the Turks? That's the real question.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Well, there is a sale on the SE site for final fantasy games, great (temporarily) prices. I placed an order for XIII and XIII-2 for around $10. Site locks up, no confirmation email with receipt and codes, nothing in order history. Twenty minutes later the prices more than double. The one time I don't write my confirmation code down. SQUARE. :argh:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Cavelcade posted:

Also Zidane is there to be a slightly worse Vivi.

No disrespect to Zidane, Vivi is just great.
Its even cooler than that, there's a lot of focus on the second half of the existential equation of giving the life you have meaning. Early in the game, Zidane is doling out nonstop life advice to Dagger and Vivi until his existential break and ironically Dagger and Vivi come to his rescue by giving him substantial reasons to exist instead of cheap thrills with cheap women.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

zedprime posted:

Its even cooler than that, there's a lot of focus on the second half of the existential equation of giving the life you have meaning. Early in the game, Zidane is doling out nonstop life advice to Dagger and Vivi until his existential break and ironically Dagger and Vivi come to his rescue by giving him substantial reasons to exist instead of cheap thrills with cheap women.

I think the quote that sticks out to me the most was from one of the Black Mages conversing with one of the Genomes about cemeteries.

Black Mage posted:

...You're right, but I don't think we build cemeteries for the dead. Sure, it may seem pointless to you, but... How can I describe it? It's so that we can think like this: 'We'll never forget you. We'll remember you every time we stand at your grave. And we won't let the fear of death, which each of us knows, stop us from living our lives. ...Because my friends will remember me when I'm here.'

I didn't think much of it at the time but it really resonates with me now.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Meridian posted:

Well, there is a sale on the SE site for final fantasy games, great (temporarily) prices. I placed an order for XIII and XIII-2 for around $10. Site locks up, no confirmation email with receipt and codes, nothing in order history. Twenty minutes later the prices more than double. The one time I don't write my confirmation code down. SQUARE. :argh:

Lol, I bought an order earlier and it still has yet to show up in my order history.

They took the money out of Paypal but never fulfilled the order.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Saint Freak posted:

So like Cloud blowing up a reactor that a bunch of people are working at for payment from Avalanche, and his only concern is how much he can get for blowing up the next reactor.
literally yes

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I think the recent debate proves that everyone should play ff7 and write an essay about why the turks are the most important fictional secret service in media.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The Turks worked with or for Hojo who is the cause of literally everything bad that happens in FF7 therefore they're basically hitler, IMO.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The Turks are the praetorian guard of Shinra. They do the emperor's dirty work but ultimately their loyalty is to the empire so if the emperor is threatening the empire, they'll stop them. If some third party is working to save the empire (even if indirectly), they won't meddle and might even help out. Pretty simple.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I'm an idiot fucker who couldn't wait for the game because his will is weak and he would never be a Green Lantern and watched a few streams and I can say, non ironically, the final boss is the worst Final Fantasy boss in the series.It lacks everything that makes a final boss a final boss and I hate it and I've cancelled my preorder and tomorrow I'm going to return my PS4 pro, as it is a useless piece of junk without the thing I bought it for, Square-Enix is doomed, they need to consider merging with Goya so their employees may finally be able to contribute SOMETHING to the world that isn't total garbage all the time twnety four seven dammit why wasn't Nomura allowed to complete his ~Vision~ I hate it God I'm going to go drink somebody hold my L I can't stand this hack game after ten years has dissappointed us yet again please Sakaguchi come back to the company and free us from this HELL

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

bloodychill posted:

The Turks are the praetorian guard of Shinra. They do the emperor's dirty work but ultimately their loyalty is to the empire so if the emperor is threatening the empire, they'll stop them. If some third party is working to save the empire (even if indirectly), they won't meddle and might even help out. Pretty simple.

I would recommend you take a look at Roman history and count the times the Praetorian Guard murdered the poo poo out of emperors and caused massive civil wars and/or enabled foreign invasions. At one point they literally sold the office of emperor to the highest bidder. The Guard was never loyal to anything but their own paycheck.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Gologle posted:

I'm an idiot fucker who couldn't wait for the game because his will is weak and he would never be a Green Lantern and watched a few streams and I can say, non ironically, the final boss is the worst Final Fantasy boss in the series.It lacks everything that makes a final boss a final boss and I hate it and I've cancelled my preorder and tomorrow I'm going to return my PS4 pro, as it is a useless piece of junk without the thing I bought it for, Square-Enix is doomed, they need to consider merging with Goya so their employees may finally be able to contribute SOMETHING to the world that isn't total garbage all the time twnety four seven dammit why wasn't Nomura allowed to complete his ~Vision~ I hate it God I'm going to go drink somebody hold my L I can't stand this hack game after ten years has dissappointed us yet again please Sakaguchi come back to the company and free us from this HELL

Source your quotes.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

If Goku fell into the Lifestream how dank would his spirit bombs be

i just tried to imagine this and honestly i had to lie down

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Barudak posted:

I will trigger your trap card, Nappa didn't come back.

Then how did he become an incredibly successful movie producer, hmmmmmm?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Phantasium posted:

Lol, I bought an order earlier and it still has yet to show up in my order history.

They took the money out of Paypal but never fulfilled the order.

I thought I was safe because there was a pending authorization on my credit card for the correct amount. Just woke up and it's gone. Still no e-mail and nothing in the order history. That's annoying and bad.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Fister Roboto posted:

I don't think there's much point in speculating why they gave Sector 7 the works.

Hah.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Gologle posted:

I hate it God I'm going to go drink somebody hold my L

Okay Google.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Smiling Knight posted:

I would recommend you take a look at Roman history and count the times the Praetorian Guard murdered the poo poo out of emperors and caused massive civil wars and/or enabled foreign invasions. At one point they literally sold the office of emperor to the highest bidder. The Guard was never loyal to anything but their own paycheck.

Sometimes what's best for the empire is what's best for their paycheck :colbert:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Pirate Captain posted:

This is hilarious. Which game is this from?

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Dragon Quest 8.

It's Dragon Quest Heroes.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Half the phones in the room suddenly unlock

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Gologle posted:

It must be Wednesday.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Gologle posted:

As someone who has no idea what the gently caress you crazy people are talking about, this paragraph taken out of context looks like you tried to rap and instead just went insane for a moment.

Now you know how we all feel.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

So since I'm a sucker and bitched out on XIII the last time I played it, I bought it anyway despite not getting a super good deal on it. Anything I need to know going into it other than that it's a bad game?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Meridian posted:

So since I'm a sucker and bitched out on XIII the last time I played it, I bought it anyway despite not getting a super good deal on it. Anything I need to know going into it other than that it's a bad game?

The goal should be to win fights as quickly as possible. Since you have no resources and heal to full and remove all status effects at the end of a fight, you've no reason to not ride the edge as hard as you can.

The crafting system is both poo poo and expensive. Feel free to stumble your way through accessories at any time since the returns on it are great but given the cost don't expect to level more than one weapon for your favorite three so make sure the effect the weapon you have is one you like.

Saboteur works like a commando in keeping the stagger gauge from dropping. Tied into this status effects and buffs are obscenely good and you should be using them all the time.

Libra is your friend and you should be liberal with it.

Edit: can't believe I forget this. Every two times you fill up the atb gauge to full, the next time you paradigm switch you'll start with a full atb bar. You can abuse this for emergency heals or alpha striking by swapping into a paradigm that's the exact same of what you were using for offense. This is such a huge increase in your parties power you want to be using this all the time.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 24, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Always be Paradigm Shifting, it gives you a free bar of ATB. The battle system is actually pretty fun once you get the hang of it, it just takes two chapters to actually get there. Feel free to skip cutscenes, you can get to where the battle system gets fun reasonably quickly if you do, and lol the game's plot.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Meridian posted:

You won't get a permanent full party until 20 hours in

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Source your quotes.

I'll tell you right now that this was from NeoGAF. People there have been declaring the game a failure though ever since ~Nomura's vision~ was scrapped and been dogpiling on any excuse to hate it, including poor LOD in the background when exploring for a console game and somehow that makes the game irredeemable garbage. The spoiler leaks just emboldened them. I mean, the game could still suck but it won't suck for the reasons they say it would suck for.

Somehow I'm not surprised that Gologle posts on NeoGAF though.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'll tell you right now that this was from NeoGAF. People there have been declaring the game a failure though ever since ~Nomura's vision~ was scrapped and been dogpiling on any excuse to hate it, including poor LOD in the background when exploring for a console game and somehow that makes the game irredeemable garbage. The spoiler leaks just emboldened them. I mean, the game could still suck but it won't suck for the reasons they say it would suck for.

Somehow I'm not surprised that Gologle posts on NeoGAF though.

Hah! My impression was that Nomura burned out, it wasn't like they stole the project away and told him to go get hosed. How different is the final product from the original vision anyway? My only exposure to Versus13 was one preview and the combat preview that was apparently mocked up ala FF13's combat reveal.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Anyone that says FF15 took 10 years to make can instantly be ignored, it's a good first filter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

bloodychill posted:

Hah! My impression was that Nomura burned out, it wasn't like they stole the project away and told him to go get hosed. How different is the final product from the original vision anyway? My only exposure to Versus13 was one preview and the combat preview that was apparently mocked up ala FF13's combat reveal.

It seems to be akin to the MGS:R/MGR situation; they're separate entities, but the realized project contains repurposed aesthetic and conceptual elements from the canned one.