Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Greater Earth Orbs :argh:

I've seen like 6 of these and 3 or 4 times as many of the others. Seriously what the hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
OK's BSB, man this was a bad event to swear off 100 gem pulls for good :v:

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I've got so many drat eggs I'm happy to have an excuse to egg someone to 99

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I'll probably egg him, or at least egg him to like 95 and exp dungeon the rest of the way to save a few.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Kawalimus posted:

I'll probably egg him, or at least egg him to like 95 and exp dungeon the rest of the way to save a few.

you could egg him to 85 and the synergy bonus will effectively make him 95 to save some eggs.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Koobes posted:

you could egg him to 85 and the synergy bonus will effectively make him 95 to save some eggs.
OK's stats don't start going up until 93, at 95 he's still pretty bad. At 92 he would lose a fistfight with level 50 core black mage.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

At 95 (85 with synergy) he's more than capable of soloing the experience dungeon.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Koobes posted:

That's a good point I didn't think of that.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

OK's stats don't start going up until 93, at 95 he's still pretty bad. At 92 he would lose a fistfight with level 50 core black mage.

you get 10 effective levels in the synergy exp dungeon

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Zurai posted:

You don't have to egg him to 99. The event comes with a FF3-synergy experience dungeon which is about 2/3 more experience per stamina than Sundaily for FF3 characters.

Also the new FF3 more dungeon gives you close to enough notes to do his whole record dive. Certainly enough to max out any skills you need him to use unless you try to make him a weird megahybrid right off the bat.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I haven't been around long enough to hoard a bunch of mythril so right now I'll only have enough to do 1 pull on OK + the lucky banner, and I guess I'll toss a buck at the dollar pull too, even though I have the world's worst luck (at 25 pulls with no 5-star so far, should have just whaled a banner at this point :negative:). All of my amazing draw luck that I had when I started has evaporated into thin air and 4/5 of my last banner pulls have been very disappointing, so I'm not crossing my fingers for this one. Would be nice to be surprised, though!

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

i cannot wait to blow my turgid mythril load on OK

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Kawalimus posted:

Even if I don't get the BSB I'll be glad when it's out just as a RW. Finally being able to run versatile parties...

Celes' BSB has been out for ages, it's only missing the haste portion which practically every support ssb+ comes with now anyway. IMO you'd still need shout or sheepsong as well to get anything out of it anyway.

Is it possible to calculate the total damage on a U++ that OK's burst commands would deal, assuming shout/sheepsong are also active? I'm curious how it stacks up in comparison to Vaan's or Paladin Cecil Saint Crossing in the same amount of turns.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
can lifebane realistically do 50000 damage if you hit the 1014 threshold or is the multiplier too low?

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

acumen posted:

Celes' BSB has been out for ages, it's only missing the haste portion which practically every support ssb+ comes with now anyway. IMO you'd still need shout or sheepsong as well to get anything out of it anyway.

Is it possible to calculate the total damage on a U++ that OK's burst commands would deal, assuming shout/sheepsong are also active? I'm curious how it stacks up in comparison to Vaan's or Paladin Cecil Saint Crossing in the same amount of turns.

in jp against U++ bosses I think I hit 5k/hit with 3 mag buffs for 20k/turn. This is without a synergy weapon and a fully dived OK.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

can lifebane realistically do 50000 damage if you hit the 1014 threshold or is the multiplier too low?

You can get a +40% monk damage RM when we can get Sabin to 99, which gives it effectively a ssb-level multiplier if you can hit that threshold.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Assuming you have all the other pieces in place, you can test this by going into a 1 stam fight of appropriate challenge with the monk in question, buffing them appropriately, and using the 1* combat skill Blade Bash. It has a 1.1 multiplier. A 5 hit Lifebane will hit five times with a 1.05 multiplier on each hit.

Alternately, if you're damage capping Full Charge, you're good.

(You probably aren't damage capping full charge... and almost certainly not lifebane on anything of consequence short term.)

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

With a +crit buff, it makes it closer to 50k for sure.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Koobes posted:

in jp against U++ bosses I think I hit 5k/hit with 3 mag buffs for 20k/turn. This is without a synergy weapon and a fully dived OK.

You can get a +40% monk damage RM when we can get Sabin to 99, which gives it effectively a ssb-level multiplier if you can hit that threshold.

So that's at least twice as good as anyone else hitting for double 10ks/round. Maybe I'll make two pulls on this one now.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

acumen posted:

Celes' BSB has been out for ages, it's only missing the haste portion which practically every support ssb+ comes with now anyway.

There are only two BSBs which grant Hastega even in Japan, and one of them is Minwu's. And, if you're getting your Hastega on Vessel of Prophecy, you can go with a superior second buff option like Edward's MAG/MND+30% + Quickcast 3, Cid Raines's MAG/DEF +30%, Selphie's MAG/MND+30%, etc (for physical attackers 30% Attack should come very close to softcapping you so the second buff is reduced pretty severely in power).

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

IllegallySober posted:

Better long-term R3 hone:

Saint Cross (for Celes w/Indomitable Blade)
Thief's Revenge (for Yuffie w/Clear Tranquil and Gauntlet)

I'm leaning Saint Cross but want opinions. I can R3 one of the two right now but not both.
Indomitable Blade will refill your Saint's Cross, I'd start with Thief's Revege

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
uh, indomitable blade is for refilling snowspell strike charges

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Snazzy Frocks posted:

uh, indomitable blade is for refilling snowspell strike charges
It can be for either

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Technically it always fills the ability with the fewest number of charges on an absolute level, with ties going to the one with fewer maximum charges, so it pretty much is for refilling Snowspell.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I guess I'd better figure out how to make Snowspell Strike then? :sweatdrop:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

IllegallySober posted:

I guess I'd better figure out how to make Snowspell Strike then? :sweatdrop:

It's unlocked using Spellblade motes from the mote event a few months back. Spend 1 mote to unlock the Snowspell Strike sphere on a character in Record Dive, 4 motes to unlock the ability for the character to use Spellblade 6* abilities, and then 15 motes to get a copy of the ability itself.

If you weren't around for that event, I think someone said that eventually those motes will be available from some kind of event content later on down the road.

Note that only characters with natural Spellblade 5* can unlock the ability to use Spellblade 6* abilities, which means it's currently limited to Bartz, Celes, Squall, Paine, Delita and Tyro.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

It's unlocked using Spellblade motes from the mote event a few months back. Spend 1 mote to unlock the Snowspell Strike sphere on a character in Record Dive, 4 motes to unlock the ability for the character to use Spellblade 6* abilities, and then 15 motes to get a copy of the ability itself.

If you weren't around for that event, I think someone said that eventually those motes will be available from some kind of event content later on down the road.

Note that only characters with natural Spellblade 5* can unlock the ability to use Spellblade 6* abilities, which means it's currently limited to Bartz, Celes, Squall, Paine, Delita and Tyro.

It will eventually be available through 200 Difficulty "Nightmare" Fights (in Japan the Nightmare Records are called a Abyss instead, for clarity's sake), but it's worth noting that currently they've only released ones that give Monk, Knight, Thief and Samurai Motes. So getting another shot at Snowspell Strike is sadly at least 6 Months plus out from now.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

W.T. Fits posted:

I was around, I just hadn't done anything with the motes. Thank you for the explanation- I'll go work on that!

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

IllegallySober posted:

I was around, I just hadn't done anything with the motes. Thank you for the explanation- I'll go work on that!

Also, by using a similar process on Knight, Thief, Dragoon, Machinist, Samurai, and Ninja motes and shattering most of the copies (as well as one copy of snowspell from unlocking it on a second spellblade), you can Hone Snowspell or Northern Cross to rank 2. One or the other, but not both.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
I still haven't decided which Rank 6 skill I'll hone. I probably never will hone any and just leave them in What If I Need A Rank 6 Ability In The Future limbo.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

I still haven't decided which Rank 6 skill I'll hone. I probably never will hone any and just leave them in What If I Need A Rank 6 Ability In The Future limbo.

I bet you ended every FF with all your mega elixirs

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

You'd need to do about 9k with a standard attack to do so... so not likely.

That is when +crit buffs start to shine a bit more, though.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

I think so far the only 6* abilities worth honing have been Northern Cross, Meltdown, Affliction Break, Curada, and *maybe* Snowspell Strike if you want it for someone besides your IB/Runic Celes, even in the JP version. I guess Neo Bahamut but there haven't even been enough summon crystals to hone it in JP.

There's also this 6* combat skill that works kinda like Lifebane that sounds good but eh.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Heaven Spacey posted:

I think so far the only 6* abilities worth honing have been Northern Cross, Meltdown, Affliction Break, Curada, and *maybe* Snowspell Strike if you want it for someone besides your IB/Runic Celes, even in the JP version. I guess Neo Bahamut but there haven't even been enough summon crystals to hone it in JP.

There's also this 6* combat skill that works kinda like Lifebane that sounds good but eh.

Lifebane is worth honing until we get Omega Drive, at least - if you have one of the characters who can utilize it to its fullest (which, for the moment, is mostly Zell with his SSB2, Refia with her SSB or BSB - though her burst commands are comparable DPS and don't need you to work a 6* skill up - and Jecht with his BSB) but if you don't have someone who can consistently get to the ATK threshold with just SBs and "decent" synergy, its utility rapidly drops off.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Thundercracker posted:

I bet you ended every FF with all your mega elixirs

You aren't meant to use those, you animal. You might need them later!

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Ingus's shield and nothing else. :doh: Waiting to see what the next couple of days hold before I do a second 50. At least this is my second hastega relic and the first one that I would actually want to cast at the start of a fight?

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
100 gem - lust dagger
11 - lust dagger, lust dagger, off banner darkhelm

FF3 synergy = fixed

JP lucky = Sazh BSB :)

Mage meta sorted!

Inge fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 24, 2016

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

OK BSB GET

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
WELP

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

We'll that could have gone worse for a first pull. Luneths bsb wasn't really on my radar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Zurai posted:

Technically it always fills the ability with the fewest number of charges on an absolute level, with ties going to the one with fewer maximum charges, so it pretty much is for refilling Snowspell.
I just meant that sometimes holy damage is more useful than ice/wind. Especially since he already has a +holy sword.

• Locked thread