Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
sorry, they're schmaltzy and musically simplistic

i've wept for joy while listening to some pretty obscure music instead, you probably don't know about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

HEY GAL posted:

i've wept for joy while listening to some pretty obscure music instead, you probably don't know about it

Pre-bluegrass Appalachian folk music is musically simplistic and it's super important and profound.

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 23, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Pre-bluegrass Appalachian folk music is musically simplistic and it's super important and profound.
yes and i love it. it's also not schmaltzy

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Samuel Clemens posted:

I do find it funny that the best adaptation of the Gospels was directed by an avowed atheist.

Who, and what movie are you thinking of?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Thirteen Orphans posted:

surely you're not saying bluegrass is not important or profound, I'm not above hitting you with my banjo.

But seriously, if you got any names you'd like to share I'd be all over that stuff <3

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
elizabeth laprelle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf1J2J44jpI

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

HEY GAL posted:

They're schmaltzy and musically simplistic in the same way that church is boring and repetitive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0wVML-Kffw

CountFosco fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 23, 2016

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Tias posted:

surely you're not saying bluegrass is not important or profound, I'm not above hitting you with my banjo.

But seriously, if you got any names you'd like to share I'd be all over that stuff <3

A lot of times if I say Appalachian folk people will think Bluegrass. Though it's the antecedent, the music I'm referring to is very different. So I say it to be specific.

Listen to Dock Boggs. He's my favorite. Particularly "Prodigal Son" and his version of "Oh Death."

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Who, and what movie are you thinking of?

Pasolini's The Gospel According to St. Matthew is on that Vatican's list.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

CountFosco posted:

They're schmaltzy and musically simplistic in the same way that church is boring and repetitive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0wVML-Kffw

this one is also excellent and madeline kahn was a national treasure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrRDrz53Q1E

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Bel_Canto posted:

this one is also excellent and madeline kahn was a national treasure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrRDrz53Q1E
She certainly was.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

There are plenty of good Christian films. The Vatican even has an official list.

Sadly, it appears to be missing Jesus Christ Superstar, but then, nobody is perfect.

I like the list, but I see that it hasn't been updated. How about some worthwhile film recommendations from the last 20-ish years?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
trump's administration both literally and figuratively orange
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...omepage%2Fstory
(this woman is also the sister of Erik Prince, the most famous mercenary in America, although i think he is Catholic)

(every day we grow closer to the 17th century)

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

:black101: I really don't feel empathy for strangers
:v: that's because you haven't practiced the virtues enough
:black101: I just don't see why I should. Like Ben said in The Big Short, just don't dance. (Ben is a character who bets against the housing market. He reprimands his colleagues for celebrating, because their income comes from an event that was bad for society as a whole)
:v: well, on one hand, you have a bright future in investment banking. On the other hand, this kind of thinking is probably bad for your immortal soul
:black101: eh, I can just do a million years in purgatory. That's a short time compared to eternity. You can't go to hell unless you want to, right?
:v: don't you want to live a life that is pleasing to God?
:black101: I'll be pleasing to God when I come out of purgatory, no?
:v: I think this is not allowed. Purgatory is supposed to be for people who try to be good and fail
:black101: if I go to hell, will you come along for me?

How to convince a dude that being good is In fact good, help me tuxedocatfish

Caufman
May 7, 2007
If some living mortal has a winning argument for being good, please share it quickly with the world.

Folks who already have a sense of compassion for others are precious. Encouraging it in others is the work of sages. I think that "Why be good?" is a question of purpose and meaning. An individual's will to meaning will be thoroughly personal to their particular situation and in every moment of their life.

Without knowing your friend, it is impossible for me to suggest what exactly will call them towards the ultimate meaning of their life with respect to an omnipresent and omnibenevolent God. But I'm encouraged that wise people throughout the world and throughout history have praised and practiced goodness. I pray for the Holy Spirit to make clearer the foundations of this goodness in your friend, which is no doubt unfolding as God intends.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Paramemetic, I know you read this thread--your astrology thread is closed and you have not yet answered my PM. The thing I need astrological advice about is next month! :choco:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

and you joke about protestants being heretics :rolleye:

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

HEY GAL posted:

Paramemetic, I know you read this thread--your astrology thread is closed and you have not yet answered my PM. The thing I need astrological advice about is next month! :choco:

Early modern history. Not even once.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Lutha Mahtin posted:

That's her profession talking. 30 Years War era HRE-ites couldn't scratch their rear end without consulting an astrologist. :v:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Lutha Mahtin posted:

it's not heretical to use one of the methods that god gave us to understand the world, our lives, and our subconscious mind

my dad posted:

That's her profession talking. 30 Years War era HRE-ites couldn't scratch their rear end without consulting an astrologist. :v:
remember kepler? he was not famous for the stuff we know him for at the time.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
If Kepler jumped off a bridge, would you, too?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

pidan posted:

It sounds like he's on board with having empathy for people close to him, which honestly is the sort of thing that in the long run should take care of itself, especially if this person is young and not terribly set in their ways.

The catalyst that made my low-affect rear end start sincerely caring about people I didn't know was just loneliness; nobody likes a misanthrope, and sooner or later the performance of giving a poo poo became sincere.

If I had to offer a more (if still not entirely) logic-based argument tailored towards convincing my past self it would probably be a mix of proof that reciprocity works in a practical context combined with an appeal to how much suffering sucks, to the point where every blow struck against pain and death is a victory for every individual human being even if isn't their own personal suffering. But like Caufman says, I don't know this person, and this is inevitably going to be very specific to them.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

pidan posted:

:black101: I really don't feel empathy for strangers
:v: that's because you haven't practiced the virtues enough
:black101: I just don't see why I should. Like Ben said in The Big Short, just don't dance. (Ben is a character who bets against the housing market. He reprimands his colleagues for celebrating, because their income comes from an event that was bad for society as a whole)
:v: well, on one hand, you have a bright future in investment banking. On the other hand, this kind of thinking is probably bad for your immortal soul
:black101: eh, I can just do a million years in purgatory. That's a short time compared to eternity. You can't go to hell unless you want to, right?
:v: don't you want to live a life that is pleasing to God?
:black101: I'll be pleasing to God when I come out of purgatory, no?
:v: I think this is not allowed. Purgatory is supposed to be for people who try to be good and fail
:black101: if I go to hell, will you come along for me?

If you're looking at it on a strictly cost-benefit basis, sinning and planning on repenting it later assumes that "later" will still be available. I'm a small-u universalist, but if you aren't, "Hey, God'll handle me when I'm ready to repent!" assumes there isn't a deadline. (Get it: deadline!)

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Paladinus posted:

If Kepler jumped off a bridge, would you, too?

No, but if Wallenstein had, she probably would.

e: ^^^^^^ :cripes:

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

If you're looking at it on a strictly cost-benefit basis, sinning and planning on repenting it later assumes that "later" will still be available. I'm a small-u universalist, but if you aren't, "Hey, God'll handle me when I'm ready to repent!" assumes there isn't a deadline. (Get it: deadline!)

I'm sorry of a universalist in that I believe that you can only go to hell if you don't want to go to heaven / reject salvation. I read that in a Catholic theologian's book so it's not even a heresy this once. Actually, the "sin happily because you can repent later" is a bit of a stereotype about Catholics where I'm from, but that generally refers to the wine women & song type sins.

Caufman posted:

If some living mortal has a winning argument for being good, please share it quickly with the world.

Folks who already have a sense of compassion for others are precious. Encouraging it in others is the work of sages. I think that "Why be good?" is a question of purpose and meaning. An individual's will to meaning will be thoroughly personal to their particular situation and in every moment of their life.

Without knowing your friend, it is impossible for me to suggest what exactly will call them towards the ultimate meaning of their life with respect to an omnipresent and omnibenevolent God. But I'm encouraged that wise people throughout the world and throughout history have praised and practiced goodness. I pray for the Holy Spirit to make clearer the foundations of this goodness in your friend, which is no doubt unfolding as God intends.

Thank you :)
I think I'm a bit sheltered, because the idea that a person wouldn't agree that, in principle, being good is desirable and important was really foreign to me. I can't imagine rejecting the concept of the Good is a widespread opinion. Is it?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It sounds like he's on board with having empathy for people close to him, which honestly is the sort of thing that in the long run should take care of itself, especially if this person is young and not terribly set in their ways.

The catalyst that made my low-affect rear end start sincerely caring about people I didn't know was just loneliness; nobody likes a misanthrope, and sooner or later the performance of giving a poo poo became sincere.

If I had to offer a more (if still not entirely) logic-based argument tailored towards convincing my past self it would probably be a mix of proof that reciprocity works in a practical context combined with an appeal to how much suffering sucks, to the point where every blow struck against pain and death is a victory for every individual human being even if isn't their own personal suffering. But like Caufman says, I don't know this person, and this is inevitably going to be very specific to them.

I hope you're right! Maybe people need to experience some suffering before they can develop empathy, so it will come with time. I think I got really indoctrinated to the idea that being good is important by the structure of all fairytales and later excessively reading moral philosophy, that questioning this is just baffling to me. I'm like the stereotypical Christian stumped by some atheist argument. Not that this guy is even an atheist :shrug:

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

My dream waifu. :swoon:

Ceciltron fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 25, 2016

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

HEY GAL posted:

it's not heretical to use one of the methods that god gave us to understand the world, our lives, and our subconscious mind

:ughh:

that moronic meme emoticon is really honestly all i can say about this post of yours

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

how does one prepose to a trebuchet, especially a trebuchet aimed at the American right?

e: totally loving serious. My PhD advisor asked to meet with me this week and gave a pep talk about how science education and outreach is key for climate science.

If you're of my generation (going on 30+ year old goons) this is absolutely your number one topic.

poo poo is going to get extremely bad for LGBTQ and other non-"traditional" gender roles. I see Muslim Americans with head scarves every day, my neighborhood is heavily Muslim.

I think all of us US-connected goons should be asking ourselves what we can do for groups without legal protection, particularly transgendered people and illegal immigrants who are (forgive the language) first up against the wall.

Get praying, get out on your streets helping those people most vulnerable.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 25, 2016

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
gently caress it, I'm a gay dude and very Lutheran

I've stepped carefully around announcing my sexuality in this thread, but it's very relevant now given American politics.

We have a ton of LGBTQ and so on posters, this is a very diverse thread and it's awesome and I'd like it preserved that way.

chalk me up as one of our many non-cis/hetero goons

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Lutha Mahtin posted:

:ughh:

that moronic meme emoticon is really honestly all i can say about this post of yours

Let now the astrologers, the stargazers,
And the monthly prognosticators
Stand up and save you
From what shall come upon you.
Behold, they shall be as stubble,
The fire shall burn them;
They shall not deliver themselves
From the power of the flame;

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

I've stepped carefully around announcing my sexuality in this thread, but it's very relevant now given American politics.

We have a ton of LGBTQ and so on posters, this is a very diverse thread and it's awesome and I'd like it preserved that way.

You are loved and appreciated! :glomp:

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Pellisworth posted:

how does one prepose to a trebuchet, especially a trebuchet aimed at the American right?

e: totally loving serious. My PhD advisor asked to meet with me this week and gave a pep talk about how science education and outreach is key for climate science.

If you're of my generation (going on 30+ year old goons) this is absolutely your number one topic.

poo poo is going to get extremely bad for LGBTQ and other non-"traditional" gender roles. I see Muslim Americans with head scarves every day, my neighborhood is heavily Muslim.

I think all of us US-connected goons should be asking ourselves what we can do for groups without legal protection, particularly transgendered people and illegal immigrants who are (forgive the language) first up against the wall.

Get praying, get out on your streets helping those people most vulnerable.

Well I think one would begin by constructing said trebuchet, asking a priest to bless it, and seeing where it goes.

Pellisworth posted:

While I would consider Lutheranity to be a negative mark against a person vis-a-vis their qualities, I have a ton of respect for your coming out in this way. Good luck, and God Bless. Or at least, may God bless you (and any of us) should it be so pleasing to Him (oh man please, Lord, do not smite me for deigning to suggest who to bless or not.)

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Stand up and save you

A beautiful sentiment.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Stand up and save you

I have strong opinions about astrology and maybe I'll piss off HEY GAL

astrological projections and horoscopes might be useful for directing your attention inward and focusing on whats important to you

but, they're utter bullshit

Please tell me how, within Christian theology, the position of stars and planets at your birth dictates your life course.

I do think it's helpful to gain some introspection on your choices and decisions, and astrology offers that.

I also think it's pretty heretical to give any serious weight to astrological predictions. They might be helpful in forcing you to take stock of your personality, but trusting astrology is... really weird, at least to the Protestant mind.

Should you trust magic for your decisions? Well maybe, it has something interesting to say but uhhhhh.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Pellisworth's av text turns out to be almost prescient :v:

Pellisworth posted:

I have strong opinions about astrology and maybe I'll piss off HEY GAL

HEY GAL believes the entirety of creation to be body of God, so it probably means something other to her.

[spoiler]Also, during by Bored Panda days of terror, I read that astrology might have some effect on trees or something?[/url]

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Thirteen Orphans posted:

You are loved and appreciated! :glomp:

Ceciltron posted:

While I would consider Lutheranity to be a negative mark against a person vis-a-vis their qualities, I have a ton of respect for your coming out in this way. Good luck, and God Bless. Or at least, may God bless you (and any of us) should it be so pleasing to Him (oh man please, Lord, do not smite me for deigning to suggest who to bless or not.)

A beautiful sentiment.

Thanks guys.

Me, I'm gonna be okay. I'm a tall, white-rear end and "masculine" dude, I'll survive with a pretty disgusting amount of privilege.

I am much more worried about transgendered people and immigrants.

I don't give a poo poo about denomination or political leanings, I'm spending time to hopefully improve the education of grade school kids in my area.

Don't pray for me, pray for transgendered people and immigrants.

They don't have rights. I do. It is easier to take rights from those unprotected than those whom like I have gained protections.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
On the topic of astrology and divination, I know that, with absolute certainty in a fairly certain sense, "what is not of God is of the Devil". This isn't a question of using reason or logic to discern natural laws, but rather of esoterism and secrecy to uncover hidden meanings. What is less open to us, and plainly visible to all, than the redemptive sacrifice of Christ and the Holy Scripture? The contrast, necessarily, is that anything that is hidden, requiring hidden knowledge, that it may give you an advantage of knowledge or power over others, is necessarily suspect. If there is knowledge worth having, it ought to be shared freely with others, and be easily proven or disproven according to the laws that govern God's Creation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I think Chinese Astrology (maybe Western is the same I don't know enough about it) has a major contribution we should be taking seriously and recognize for its practicality. What the astrologers were picking up on are real, there really are different kinds of personalities and that the same personality type can be recognized among different people. There are definitely dogs and rabbits. What most Westerners aren't familiar with is that the five elements are applied to those animals, like having a Fire Monkey, adding even more depth and variety. Recognizing these personality types is useful for understand how people will naturally interact and is helpful to recognize how to fix problems in relationships. For example, a fire type is calmed using water qualities. This isn't magic, it's folk psychology/proto-psychology, depending on what you want to call it. No, we can't forecast the year based on its animal/element. No, not all dogs are born in the year of the dog. But I understand a person's personality using this kind of thought just as well as with the Meyers-Briggs or the Temperaments.

• Locked thread