Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
Worry not, space is the solution to all our problems

Haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
we already have hundreds of institutions researching "climate change", it was never supposed to be NASA's mandate in the first place. Besides, it's about time the USA gets ambitious with space exploration again. Trump is taking us to alpha centauri baby!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Sorry, that account doesn't work anymore. Buy a new one and try again.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
I can't believe we're watching the beginning of sid meier's alpha centauri play out in real life

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Marijuana Nihilist posted:

I can't believe we're watching the beginning of sid meier's alpha centauri play out in real life

"As the Americans learned so painfully, in the Earths 21st century"...

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Potato Salad posted:

Some of it can. Do we know if the entire 2bn NASA budget is getting moved?

I'd be interested in seeing some actual information on how much of NASA's monitoring can be done with cubesats, because I'm pretty sure the answer is "basically none." NASA is already fairly good at stretching their budget, so if they could accomplish their current goals with cheaper hardware I can guarantee you that they'd already be doing it.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

BattleMoose posted:

Captain:

Please tell me about your customers. You explained that you fill a niche between small trucks and couriers. For such loads are your customers using you for primarily economic or environmental reasons?

Well, it's often hard to tell. The price is important, you can't go much higher than the competition (especially since the competition can deliver all over the municipality). Our biggest customer, a restaurant, used to contract a single delivery company using courier bikes and vans. They started using us instead for any deliveries to the city centre years ago, we were slightly cheaper delivering bigger loads compared to vans. But then the other delivery company got their courier bikers a Bullitt and presented an even lower price (our price were lower than their "van prices" but their "bike prices" were lower than ours), and they immediately shifted many of their deliveries back to the other company. I think transportation, particularly of goods, is something many people don't reflect on. Many of our customers in office buildings don't see our bikes, transportation is just a necessity that you want done as cheap as possible.

On the other hand, we got our second largest customer, The University of Gothenburg, through a public procurement process. They actually called and tipped us off they were renegotiating their contracts for various transport services. And the procurement process was weighted 40% price, 60% "quality" (social, ecological sustainability) so we ended up with a higher overall score despite having a higher price than our competitors at the time. I'm pretty certain some long-time customers keep us despite costing more (when we started out, none of us had any experience from the transport sector nor calculating prices for services like these) but price is definitely something that comes up early when negotiating new deals.

A somewhat surprising opportunity has come up in the shape of congestion, though. We've never used that as our main selling point but a lot of time we do have the upper hand when it comes to delivery times at rush hour. Now, within the next few years, the city is going to build: a new bridge over the river splitting the city, a second car tunnel under the same river, tens of thousands of apartments and a train tunnel running under the entire city centre, with stations being built in huge shafts at points that also happen to be major thoroughfares. The municipality, delivery companies and businesses are realizing traffic will be severely restricted for years to come. We're negotiating right now with a customer supplying building sites with materials. Their stores are outside the city centre and the building sites are inside. :shobon: All we need to get through a road works is a strip 90 cm wide. So it may be this third reason becomes the most crucial soon.

sitchensis posted:

That is awesome Captain Scandinavia! I wonder if I could set up the same thing in my city.

Thanks! Don't know where you live but Gothenburg is a pretty sprawling city, relative to other European cities. It's also very hilly in many parts. And we're doing okay and improving our revenue from year to year still. So if you have partner (having another person to rely on helps a lot), I say go for it. Also, feel free to look at our website https://www.plingtransport.se and Facebook (facebook.com/plingtransport) and shoot a mail at infoATplingtransportDOTse, we're looking to expand. :)

Nice piece of fish posted:

That is goddamned awesome. Do you know where this would be pretty good and cool? Every major city in Norway where a car-free city centre has been proposed. The big problem so far has been transportation of goods (not so much people, public transport is obviously exempt). It would probably prompt some people to get rid of cars, as well.

In my dream world, this combined with free public transportation would probably have a very significant effect on emissions and be great social tool as well.

Thank you. Yeah, I didn't know about other Norwegian cities but I've been to a seminar in Oslo about what the red-greens have in plan, it's very impressive. And Norway already has a lot of investment made in smaller electric cars, with public charging stations and such. We've been to Oslo to show off our bikes as well, and had some loose discussions with a guy who wanted to start a similar service there, but I don't know if anything came of that.

It's really about using the right vehicle for the right job. There's no reason to go to work or grocery shopping using four-seated car weighing more than a tonne. Or deliver a crate of sallads for a meeting using a van capable of carrying 3 tonnes.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

If NASA's climate research is gutted, would the Chinese be able to pick up where they left? I seems every other science piece presented here was based on NASA research. :(

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Paradoxish posted:

I'd be interested in seeing some actual information on how much of NASA's monitoring can be done with cubesats, because I'm pretty sure the answer is "basically none." NASA is already fairly good at stretching their budget, so if they could accomplish their current goals with cheaper hardware I can guarantee you that they'd already be doing it.

Cubesat project proliferation at the scale we're seeing right now is two years old, if that, and enabled by enormous efforts to move satellite technology off the US munitions list and even ITAR. When placed in combination with the sheer processing / imaging power you can put on a tiny mass and power budget in a hostile environment these days thanks to smartphones being a thing, we don't yet know how far that rabbit hole can go. Wait 4-6 years for the next generation of college student babbys currently planning their own little collaborative space programs to become PhDs off their research to see what actually comes of it.

That said, slashing NASA research cash toward this loving sucks because it's the wellspring of data we have now

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 23, 2016

treerat
Oct 4, 2005
up here so high i start to shake up here so high the sky i scrape

Fasdar posted:

Alternatively, do something beneficial to life while you can. Who knows, maybe the dolphin people will make a plaque to remember the "good" humans.

Define "beneficial" and explain its context.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

treerat posted:

Define "beneficial" and explain its context.

You want a lot of other people to do what seems to be personal emotional work for you, as you have made clear your disinterest in actually getting off of your rear end for anything other than your own mollification. I'm sorry man, you're right: the world doesn't care about what you think, or how you feel. It didn't before climate change, either. It does, however, record your deeds, however petty and pointless they may seem to you.

Since, however, definitions are important to moving forward any discussion, here's a shot at it:

I define beneficial as that which is conducive to the continuity of biodiversity, functional ecosystems, and the biosphere's genetic heritage. I think it is beneficial to work on improving the sustainability of human systems for well-being, and maintaining and transmitting what shards of wisdom humanity's intellectual legacy has made available to us so as to benefit future generations. I want to work, however incrementally, towards a global, decentralized system of socio-ecological governance that cleaves to these same values, and in which human beings work harmoniously with the global ecosystem to maintain their mutual prosperity.

You might scoff, or even disagree, but that doesn't matter. Indeed, your whole point of view is that you don't matter. That, too, is fine, and not entirely without logic. But if your plan is to just kick back and enjoy the increasingly beautiful sunsets as the world burns, then at least get out of the way of the people who are interested in the fight.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

If NASA's climate research is gutted, would the Chinese be able to pick up where they left? I seems every other science piece presented here was based on NASA research. :(

Ha ha ha.....ah.

Oh poo poo, were you serious? No, their space program is a loving joke like the rest of their country. Nobody can pick this up quickly if NASA drops it, it'd take years and billions of dollars and the combined efforts of multiple nations, and it might not even be as good after it all.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011
I really want the entire faculty of the engineering dept at MIT to write a letter to Trump explaining that they all believe in global warming and offering to have a meeting with him to explain why he's been misinformed. He might actually listen to them, he constantly cites his uncle as proof he knows something about science. Trump is such a blank slate a hail mary pass to inform him might work.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

AmericanBarbarian posted:

I really want the entire faculty of the engineering dept at MIT to write a letter to Trump explaining that they all believe in global warming and offering to have a meeting with him to explain why he's been misinformed. He might actually listen to them, he constantly cites his uncle as proof he knows something about science. Trump is such a blank slate a hail mary pass to inform him might work.

Why just engineers? If you put something together, circulate it as widely as possible within the scientific community, if only as a template for others to repeat your efforts.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ESA could, if it weren't chronically underfunded compared to NASA.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Fasdar posted:

Why just engineers? If you put something together, circulate it as widely as possible within the scientific community, if only as a template for others to repeat your efforts.

Because his uncle got his doctorate in electrical engineering at MIT and taught there, getting MIT engineers to say it would actually twinge that Trump brand loyalty. Adding more people just dilutes it, as those losers have nothing to do with a Trump.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
We know the Earth is a system and systems are buffered and aren't linear. So anyone that has done an acid-base titration in chemistry will understand that all the natural sinks (buffers) could be overwhelmed at some point.

Add 1uL NaOh per second to tris buffer at pH 7.
Hey it's fine earth has been around forever
We still have hundreds of years with no concern when we extrapolate out these small changes linearly.
You doom sayers predicted disasters years ago.
Climate change is a chinese hoax.
The earth was created by god for us to use as we please.
Cutting emissions would toroedo the economy.
What.
gently caress.

The ocean has been absorbing excess CO2 for a long time, it is converted to carbonate then bicarbonate which acidifies the water. Unrestrained emissions are going to murder the ocean and then us.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Libluini posted:

ESA could, if it weren't chronically underfunded compared to NASA.

And considering the NASA budget ought to be more than a bit higher...

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

There's an ongoing issue in China with "brain drain," which they're currently trying to reverse. A lot of the Chinese students who leave to study abroad have to be lured back with financial incentives, and I've heard mixed reports that the Chinese government is prone to manufacturing the results they want, rather than taking the results at face value. China would be likely to have the funding to pick up for NASA, but it wouldn't have the personnel and it wouldn't produce reliable data.

If NASA earth science is outright gutted, I'm not sure what nation is even in a position to take over for it. It'd almost be more likely that it was privatized or crowdsourced.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Not really. IIRC, the US spends an inordinate amount of money on R&D (in various forms and through various departments or programs), far outpacing the next handful of countries behind us. And that's even after a huge reduction in the amount of cash we spend on R&D in real dollars compared to the last few decades. There aren't many nations that could take our spot, and the few that could are currently facing similar right wing austerity pushes or desperately trying to keep their economy out of the gutter with all manner of arcane financial machinations.

Cutting NASA's budget will be bad, but it is most likely the tip of the iceberg as far as eroding funding for scientific research. This will probably cause the current "publish or perish" problem to get worse, because when government funding dries up then academics will have to turn to corporations or other private actors for funding, and those folks will 1) try to influence the results of studies to lean in their favor or 2) only fund research that they see having lucrative direct potential. If Trump follows through on his pledge to cut climate funding to international efforts like the UN, then you can expect the same sort of problems to start creeping up outside the US.

Fun times ahead.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

Mulva posted:

Because his uncle got his doctorate in electrical engineering at MIT and taught there, getting MIT engineers to say it would actually twinge that Trump brand loyalty. Adding more people just dilutes it, as those losers have nothing to do with a Trump.

He gets it. Trump has a narrow narrow worldview. I hope the NYTs actually groks that Trump reads the paper every day and can start brainwashing him to the truth.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

mik posted:

Surprise, Trump was full of poo poo on the campaign trail.

Donald Trump Says He Has ‘Open Mind’ on Climate Change Accord

Wow it didn't even take 2 days to show how loving stupid this post is.

treerat
Oct 4, 2005

Fasdar posted:

You want a lot of other people to do what seems to be personal emotional work for you, as you have made clear your disinterest in actually getting off of your rear end for anything other than your own mollification. I'm sorry man, you're right: the world doesn't care about what you think, or how you feel. It didn't before climate change, either. It does, however, record your deeds, however petty and pointless they may seem to you.

Since, however, definitions are important to moving forward any discussion, here's a shot at it:

I define beneficial as that which is conducive to the continuity of biodiversity, functional ecosystems, and the biosphere's genetic heritage. I think it is beneficial to work on improving the sustainability of human systems for well-being, and maintaining and transmitting what shards of wisdom humanity's intellectual legacy has made available to us so as to benefit future generations. I want to work, however incrementally, towards a global, decentralized system of socio-ecological governance that cleaves to these same values, and in which human beings work harmoniously with the global ecosystem to maintain their mutual prosperity.

You might scoff, or even disagree, but that doesn't matter. Indeed, your whole point of view is that you don't matter. That, too, is fine, and not entirely without logic. But if your plan is to just kick back and enjoy the increasingly beautiful sunsets as the world burns, then at least get out of the way of the people who are interested in the fight.

I haven't expressed any opinion really on what people should do other than possibly embrace pragmatic nihilism as a coping mechanism (which I personally have an affinity towards). Nihilism can be pragmatic; we are after all hardwired with emotions and desires even though we live temporary lives in a meaningless universe. It's nice to know that you're recording my deeds and analyzing my actions and motivations (are you stalking me? I haven't posted anything but some boilerplate optimistic nihilism, yet you've drawn all sorts of conclusions about my personal life and actions from that. Anyway, my only scoffing at the moment is at you and your dumbass assumptions about me. If you think every nihilist is some Hot Topic wrist cutting emo baby then you're hosed in the head, mate.

Your working definition of beneficial is ok though; my viewpoint manifests as a sort of humanist philosophy with an appreciation for biodiversity in our environment. Yeah, ultimately nothing really matters because everything is doomed to obliteration. But while alive, why not try to be happy by doing "good" things? It's no worse than doing nothing and easily arguably better from a personal/communal satisfaction point of view.

But as to the underlined statements of yours, sod off you presumptuous wanker. Stop projecting your dumb bullshit onto me. Just because I think a cause is hopeless doesn't mean I can't or don't support it. Stop assuming you know me and my life and you'll probably find we agree on very many things.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

This is probably the most depressing thread on SA, but between lolcubesats and "I saw a thing about Blacks on PBS once lets close humanity depts" it sure is a good laugh seeing armchair STEMlords overextend themselves.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

treerat posted:

dumb bullshit

treerat
Oct 4, 2005

You think you;re gonna live forever as an eternal soul, guy? lol

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

treerat posted:

You think you;re gonna live forever as an eternal soul, guy? lol

Whoa man, don't go pointing out in here that death is just a normal part of life. You'll get probated for real talk like that.

This thread is all about roleplaying as ostriches, embrace the sand. :allears:

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Potato Salad posted:

Cubesat project proliferation at the scale we're seeing right now is two years old, if that, and enabled by enormous efforts to move satellite technology off the US munitions list and even ITAR. When placed in combination with the sheer processing / imaging power you can put on a tiny mass and power budget in a hostile environment these days thanks to smartphones being a thing, we don't yet know how far that rabbit hole can go. Wait 4-6 years for the next generation of college student babbys currently planning their own little collaborative space programs to become PhDs off their research to see what actually comes of it.

That said, slashing NASA research cash toward this loving sucks because it's the wellspring of data we have now

You need some radar transceivers or cooled receivers to measure climate volume of the atmosphere.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010
NASA:
Scientists typically work on multiyear projects. And everyone has a slightly or hugely different skillset in their specific field or code that they use.

Basically if you seperate a scientist from his work, it would be extremely difficult (or impossible) to find someone to resume where it was left off. It would most likely be completely wasted and the next guy would likely start from square one, maybe two.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Just tell Trump that NASA can weaponize global warming, just need the funding and 4 to 8 years and they'll produce a weapon that'll bring ISIS, nay, THE WORLD to its knees! It's more powerful than the nuclear and more deadly than the cyber. Once that is over with, we can just expect more public education defunding and all the good things the neo-nazis he's putting in his cabinet are coming up with.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

Jimbot posted:

Just tell Trump that NASA can weaponize global warming, just need the funding and 4 to 8 years and they'll produce a weapon that'll bring ISIS, nay, THE WORLD to its knees! It's more powerful than the nuclear and more deadly than the cyber. Once that is over with, we can just expect more public education defunding and all the good things the neo-nazis he's putting in his cabinet are coming up with.

So true it just might work.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Beep boop the only logical reaction to mortality is nihilism *whirrrrrs*

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Potato Salad posted:

Totally not robotic to constantly respond "We just need to redouble our efforts! This time it'll totally work, guys!" to every crushing setback.

Trump gonna gut NASA but no big deal we can still make it work!

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

Fasdar posted:

So true it just might work.

Lol but realistically if the military informed Trump enough about the migration trouble and havoc global warming would cause to the Middle East region he might invest a "little bit of money" into the problem. If you frame the problem in terms of the scary brown people who worship a strange god he might get the message that $2 billion dollars a year is chump change.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Potato Salad posted:

Pray do tell how one copes with our understanding of the data at hand and the implications that succeed it while trying to be as humanely positive in action for a better world :allears:

But I suppose your post is a fitting human reaction to such a topic :)

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Lets say someone snapped their fingers and all manmade climate changing sources ended, we would still see changes toward an increasing global temp for like a hundred years anyway right? Probably more?

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Banana Man posted:

Lets say someone snapped their fingers and all manmade climate changing sources ended, we would still see changes toward an increasing global temp for like a hundred years anyway right? Probably more?

The climate would stabilize at a new "equilibrium" that has higher temps than right now, and yeah it would take a long time.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

Banana Man posted:

Yes.

Way back when, the amount of energy that the Earth received by the Sun (Energy in) was exactly balanced by the amount of energy that the Earth radiated out into space (Energy out). Then humans did their thing and GHG reduced the amount of energy that the Earth can radiate out into space, reducing "Energy Out". This means that the Earth system is gaining energy, about 0.5 to 1 Watt/m^2 (current estimates).

The amount of energy that Earth radiates into space increases with temperature. And this will continue until Earth is able to radiate out as much energy as it it receiving and once again return to an equilibrium.

I forget the estimates but we are looking at hundreds of years to reach a new equilibrium. But its not linear and as the Earth heats up, the amount of energy it gains will decrease up until equilibrium is reached.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
When you think about it the new US administration is very forward thinking in regards to climate change, it is just that their approach is different and they are A-OK to burn the world to a crisp while aiming to populate the stars instead! I can't wait to see my grandchildren sent off on generational arks to settle Ivanka III in the Trump Majoris system!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

bef posted:

Pray do tell how one copes with our understanding of the data at hand and the implications that succeed it while trying to be as humanely positive in action for a better world :allears:

But I suppose your post is a fitting human reaction to such a topic :)

I'm trying very hard to read this, maybe it's too early in the morning.

Are you asking how to be a happy person or something?