Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Is there a way we can merge this monster idea with my previous ridiculous request of being able to field a custom forgotten beast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Mystery Boxes.

Betting money won on a mystery box.

I'm tellin ya, its the future!

Because apparently dick-spears are not.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Nov 8, 2016

Moleboy
Apr 20, 2011

Looksy
-Hindsight-

Looking Back, I am sure of 2 things:
1. I should have found the thread before it finished
2. Grimper may have actually done one or two things wrong

Krunge posted:

He's a moleboy so he can't feel pain.

So speaking of.

One question I did have is do Molemarian's just have massively lovely defense or because they ignore pain do they just last longer since they can't pass out from pain so they take like 20 debilitating wounds?

I didn't notice anything in their description about them taking a negative to that but starting combats always seem to go something like this:

1. Molemarian charges into everyone
2. Molermarian takes a massive wound that would incapacitate someone else
3. Molemarian falls down when 1 - 4 legs get shattered, keeps fighting (Might be part of #2)
4. Molemarian scuttles on the ground and possibly kills someone
5. Molemarian either loses his head or bleeds to death

I just wasn't sure if, because of their feel no pain thing, that people just never gave them defensive stats, if they were just hot garbage at defending themselves, or both.

Also I am a literal moleman living in an underground lair, and the only pain I can feel is emotional.

So, thanks for that.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Molemarians have a rather low point count. Since they're the only race in the arena that can be relied on to take at least some beating and keep on trucking regardless, people usually focus on their offensive abilities. But nothing's stopping you from trying to reincarnate Panty Thief in the form of a mole.

Moleboy
Apr 20, 2011

Looksy
-Hindsight-

my dad posted:

Molemarians have a rather low point count. Since they're the only race in the arena that can be relied on to take at least some beating and keep on trucking regardless, people usually focus on their offensive abilities. But nothing's stopping you from trying to reincarnate Panty Thief in the form of a mole.

Yeah, I see what you mean, 800 points is really tight, you'd be able to buy an iron weapon, and a wood shield and then maybe a 3 in weapon skill and 4 in shield and that would take up all your points, guess it makes sense to just dump it all into a nice weapon and weapon skill and just try and splat stuff while crippled.

That does bring up another question I had, and sorry for asking so many at this point, but how much do skills effect things and how are the gains? Are they flat gains or exponential, ie are you better off spreading out and getting 3 - 4 skills at 3 or pouring it all into 1 skill at 6?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Moleboy posted:

sorry for asking so many at this point

Look at you, trying to plan like it makes any difference ever at all...

Moleboy posted:

how are the gains?

They're sick.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Well, that's the big question. The best answer I can give is: It depends. :v:

The increments are linear-ish, but a small, expensive boost to something you'll use beats a large, cheap boost to something you won't.
I tend to slightly prefer weapon skill over defensive skills just because the defender needs to get lucky every single time, and the attacker only once.
I also like using armor because it's a fairly reliable form of defense. Either it blocks attacks, or it forces the enemy to spend points that would otherwise go into weapons skill. Or the enemy has one of those can opener builds and doesn't give a gently caress about your armor, but that's what the rest of the team is for.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

my dad posted:

sn says hi.

It's totally workable as a concept, but probably works best when your team follows the lead; a defense-focused molemarian isn't that great on offense, typically. It operates on roughly the same principle as a shotgun: eventually it'll hit something important if you poke and hope enough.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

ZeeToo posted:

sn says hi.

It's totally workable as a concept, but probably works best when your team follows the lead; a defense-focused molemarian isn't that great on offense, typically. It operates on roughly the same principle as a shotgun: eventually it'll hit something important if you poke and hope enough.

sn was flat loving terrifying, and I predicted a loss for our team against you guys just based on it being one of the two hardest counters to my team's build. It's also pretty much what I originally wanted to go with in this tournament (molemarian named Landkreuzer, guess what he was going to be about) until teams came up and the build changed to something that had a bit more synergy with the rest.

my dad fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 9, 2016

Moleboy
Apr 20, 2011

Looksy
-Hindsight-

I actually ended up rooting for SN a lot as I read through. You have to feel for him bravely charging in and then usually getting a leg or two shattered and hanging in like a trooper.

As far as things like Str + go, that is relative to size if I remember DF correctly? So Goblins get Str + but it's just relative to their size (60), as opposed to the 270 size yeti who is going to be massively stronger just because of the size, Str + or no?

Been a while since I really dug into the arcane numerology that is DF.

Moleboy fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 9, 2016

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
yeah size matters a lot: no little dude is going to do that much with a mace.

little guys also have the issue in that armour thickness seems based off the size of the armour, so little guys can wail on a copper helm with an iron axe and not make headway, while they can get their tinfoil thin bronze hat split by, say, an armless minotaurs horn

i'm not bitter

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Alright piglickers, Jazz took a ban and doesn't know his email addy so I can unban his account for him.

He said he's not going to bother, and that I'm in charge now. That is such a terrible idea for about a thousand reasons and so I've decided to do something about it.

:siren:8 man tournament. 1v1 playoff thingy.:siren:

So the first 8 people who sign up for the tournament will get into it. I think it's open now, I legit don't know. Create a fighter, apply for them to be in the tournament.

The prize?

1st Place gets to pick Jazz's new name.
2nd Place gets to pick Jazz's new title/avatar/whatever.

First come, first serve.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Spermy Smurf posted:

Alright piglickers, Jazz took a ban and doesn't know his email addy so I can unban his account for him.
This is bad

quote:

He said he's not going to bother, and that I'm in charge now.
This is worse

quote:

That is such a terrible idea for about a thousand reasons and so I've decided to do something about it.
Welcome to the end times

quote:

:siren:8 man tournament. 1v1 playoff thingy.:siren:

So the first 8 people who sign up for the tournament will get into it. I think it's open now, I legit don't know. Create a fighter, apply for them to be in the tournament.

The prize?

1st Place gets to pick Jazz's new name.
2nd Place gets to pick Jazz's new title/avatar/whatever.

First come, first serve.

in

P.S. you suck

grobbendonk
Apr 22, 2008
ITEY the Yeti has signed up, looking for some In Like Flynn luck

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I am unsure how to double or triple points.

Edit: poo poo, it's the real tourney not the test tourney. I dont think I can now. gently caress it, I'll try when everyone gets registered.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sounds fun

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
In as Stranger in a strangle land.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
In with Donald J Thump

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'll pass.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
I choose you, Buttdork!

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Two more slots to fill!

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I'm in, can't wait to lose and complain endlessly.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

my dad posted:

I'll pass.

Weird fighter name, but okay

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Only one spot left!

Moleboy
Apr 20, 2011

Looksy
-Hindsight-

I applied with WhiteKnight HanzoSteel McSperg

Time for me to fail amazingly!

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
:siren:Update your fighters:siren:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
And not a single one of you was named Dick Spear. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

However, Dick Spear would be a great name for Jazz's new account.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Four more people need to update their fighters, then I can leave you all in suspense and go eat some turkey.

So far everyone is an archer. Incredible.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Spermy Smurf posted:

So far everyone is an archer. Incredible.
Not credible since Stranger in a strangle land is not an archer. :colbert:

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
I look forward to Buttdork dying to a first round headshot

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Donald J Thump is ready to get down and dirty!

Moleboy
Apr 20, 2011

Looksy
-Hindsight-

My fighter is set up as well.

Looking forward to this as the starting moment where I can just shake my head at all the mistakes I made throughout this tournament

(First mistake: Participating at all)

I just hope I manage to, at some point, emerge from the un-blooded.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Phoneposting, so just dumped all my points in one skill, hoping 4 the best

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Tunicate posted:

Phoneposting, so just dumped all my points in one skill, hoping 4 the best

I bet everything I had on you.

I am assuming you went with grandmaster kicking.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Oh, you bastards setting this up while the civilised world was asleep.

One of you had better be armed only with a melee crossbow.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
oh boy i'm up against a yeti

everything will be fine

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Nooo I missed another one?!

edit: Oh well, time to bet my way to relevance once again.

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 23, 2016

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Sorry but Donald J Thump, and no Killary K Killton? the gently caress you guys?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Dirty Frank posted:

Sorry but Donald J Thump, and no Killary K Killton? the gently caress you guys?

I am tempted to boot Bad Munki so you can enter this gladiator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
To be fair, there's enough triple K in there with just the Donald.