Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Fullhouse posted:

to be fair she did say half of trump supporters, which is probably factually accurate, but man Hillary Clinton of all loving people should have known how that would get spun into a sour soundbite immediately

honestly though I don't think it mattered in the end. anyone who was offended by clinton calling trump supporters racist was a trump supporter already

of course she was essentially factually correct, but when has that ever mattered? her job was to win, not to call out injustice at the expense of her own campaign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
little known fact: barack obama won two elections by scremaing "I'M INTERSECTIONAL' at a bunch of iowa farmers

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

zegermans posted:

I mean the 3rd grade logic that would take offense to that.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people would be upset if a presidential candidate accused them of a litany of bad things.

I mean, hell, people are still going on about the time Trump called illegal immigrants rapists, criminals, and drug dealers. What little children they must be!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 25 days!)

Getting mad at insults is for children, says man afraid of being called a cuck.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm pretty sure a lot of people would be upset if a presidential candidate accused them of a litany of bad things.

I mean, hell, people are still going on about the time Trump called illegal immigrants rapists, criminals, and drug dealers. What little children they must be!

I'm saying only a third grader would think that she meant them in her deplorables comment instead of the people yelling "trump that oval office" at his rallies.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

zegermans posted:

Nazis don't deserve an apology, they deserve lead and a ditch. She apologized to those who might have felt a part of that statement that clearly, to any rational person, weren't.

Yes, the <500 Nazis don't deserve an apology, what about the other 60million people?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

zegermans posted:

I'm saying only a third grader would think that she meant them in her deplorables comment instead of the people yelling "trump that oval office" at his rallies.

You know what, you're right. That was a really great thing that Clinton said and did not at all add to the impression of her as an out of touch elitist who didn't care about people.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Vox Nihili posted:

of course she was essentially factually correct, but when has that ever mattered? her job was to win, not to call out injustice at the expense of her own campaign

I think this is the biggest lesson for me from this election, rhetorically: nobody loving cares if you're right

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Vox Nihili posted:

the problem was that she didnt find a group of neonazis and say to them "you guys SUCK"

she talked about trump supporters in GENERAL and called them all neonazis

certainly.... you can grasp... the difference.

No she didn't. You can criticize how vague and general "half" is. But your post is just buying into the nazis presented narrative

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

No she didn't. You can criticize how vague and general "half" is. But your post is just buying into the nazis presented narrative

again, it absolutely doesnt matter what you think she said or meant, what matters is what a bunch of voters thought she said and meant

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fullhouse posted:

I think this is the biggest lesson for me from this election, rhetorically: nobody loving cares if you're right

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

it seriously blows my mind that some people are saying "but their narrative was bad and objectively false! how can you BUY IT?"

i dont need to "buy it" or "believe it" or anything to realize that giving them the opportunity to develop a helpful narrative is loving bad campaigning

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

:argh:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Great, now I have bullet holes in my wall and a scorched desk.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Vox Nihili posted:

it seriously blows my mind that some people are saying "but their narrative was bad and objectively false! how can you BUY IT?"

i dont need to "buy it" or "believe it" or anything to realize that giving them the opportunity to develop a helpful narrative is loving bad campaigning

People don't remember 2004 lol

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Vox Nihili posted:

again, it absolutely doesnt matter what you think she said or meant, what matters is what a bunch of voters thought she said and meant

https://www.amazon.com/Words-That-Work-What-People/dp/1401309291
It's Not What You Say, It's What People Hear

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Vox Nihili posted:

Which we don't even know. Unless there's a collection of people siting that as their reason that aren't deplorables and were full trump train already.
She could have responded to it better, like everything in her campaign. It might have became a gaffe because she didn't use the response to hammer about the desperate for change crowd and how she'd help them and whatever. But just taking Conway's spin on it and declaring it the truth, or the agreed upon truth, or whatever your point is, is a retarded way to go about it.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

All the people who unironically embraced the label of "deplorable" was a pretty good indicator that it backfired.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

there is no truth

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Which we don't even know. Unless there's a collection of people siting that as their reason that aren't deplorables and were full trump train already.
She could have responded to it better, like everything in her campaign. It might have became a gaffe because she didn't use the response to hammer about the desperate for change crowd and how she'd help them and whatever. But just taking Conway's spin on it and declaring it the truth, or the agreed upon truth, or whatever your point is, is a retarded way to go about it.

you say that i am "declaring it the truth" but i am doing nothing like that. you are trapped in your polarity bubble and cant see beyond your immediate perspective. sad!

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

you say that i am "declaring it the truth" but i am doing nothing like that. you are trapped in your polarity bubble and cant see beyond your immediate perspective. sad!

Would you prefer I used the word "presented" as?

You said she insulted trump supporters in general. You didn't say she failed to combat that narrative or people believed that themselves.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

VirtualStranger posted:

Two of the UWS residents who opposed this school integration were none other than Samantha Bee and Jason Jones.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/schooled/2016/06/17/the_upper_west_side_is_new_york_s_latest_school_integration_battleground.html

This is why liberals being for identity politics is bullshit. The second it is inconvenient to them, they drop it. Gays getting married and police not shooting black people don't effect them. Their children attending school with black children do.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

LinYutang posted:

I have several friends who went to elite east coast prep schools + ivy leagues and their grieving process is continuing unabated, they are apparently working through their pain by sharing guardian/slate thinkpieces about how Hillary Did Nothing Wrong

This is all I've encountered today, too.

I've also got some fantastic strawman articles about Bernie being racist because he's now abandoning minorities.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/801544864877989891

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007
Causation or Correlation?

That fuckin guy at 7:30-ish.... "B-but why can't a revolution be comfortable?!"

Subjunctivitis has issued a correction as of 23:09 on Nov 23, 2016

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

can't wait for Tatum to show up and post about how the bernie bros are purity testing everyone out of the running

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hot take: gently caress Israel.

Take what land you have and deal with it, stop blowing up the West Bank and Gaza.

(tl;dr: two state solution with current borders)

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

All the people who unironically embraced the label of "deplorable" was a pretty good indicator that it backfired.

The deplorable thing was unironically one of the smart things she did. I know it's a hot take but one of the things that turned off the base on her was the fact she seemed so willing to embrace Republican dipshits. Trump won on saying evil black muslim mexicans were plotting to rig the election. Riling up the base to maximize turnout by demonizing the enemy is a tried and true strategy.

This of course is just one of like 400 examples of the HRC Campaign not being able to craft a plan and follow through resulting in Stronger Together which means nothing at best and "lets cozy up to people who hate us" at worst.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

She called half of Trump's supporters deplorables, and then implied that she meant more than half. There's no spin on this, she insulted a big part of the electorate.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Guy Goodbody posted:

She called half of Trump's supporters deplorables, and then implied that she meant more than half. There's no spin on this, she insulted a big part of the electorate.

What she actually meant was "gently caress poors."

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

iospace posted:

Hot take: gently caress Israel.

Take what land you have and deal with it, stop blowing up the West Bank and Gaza.

(tl;dr: two state solution with current borders)

Inshallah

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy Goodbody posted:

Trump ran his entire loving campaign on insulting the electorate. You do realize one of Clintons biggest problems is the fact she's perceived as being to hesitant and committee tested? She should have pushed the Deplorable thing hard and said "Trump and his band of deplorables are loving nazi's who want to throw you in camps"

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Venom Snake posted:

Riling up the base to maximize turnout by demonizing the enemy is a tried and true strategy.

For Republicans. It works for Republicans, sometimes. You could argue that it worked for Democrats in 2006, but it sure as gently caress failed in 2014 and 2016

Democrats want to vote for something, not against something.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

Venom Snake posted:

The deplorable thing was unironically one of the smart things she did. I know it's a hot take but one of the things that turned off the base on her was the fact she seemed so willing to embrace Republican dipshits. Trump won on saying evil black muslim mexicans were plotting to rig the election. Riling up the base to maximize turnout by demonizing the enemy is a tried and true strategy.

This of course is just one of like 400 examples of the HRC Campaign not being able to craft a plan and follow through resulting in Stronger Together which means nothing at best and "lets cozy up to people who hate us" at worst.

Here's a hot take: you're not supposed to demonize the friends/family/neighbors of the people you need to vote for you.

Powercrazy posted:

What she actually meant was "gently caress poors."

Yep, this is what they heard.

my homie dhall has issued a correction as of 23:20 on Nov 23, 2016

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pick something and stick to it. Don't want it back, don't cave immediately. And for gods sake stop reaching out to Republicans.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

For Republicans. It works for Republicans, sometimes. You could argue that it worked for Democrats in 2006, but it sure as gently caress failed in 2014 and 2016

Then talking about the nature of her attack on the opposition is a distraction because as we've already discussed in this thread a bunch Hillary's big problem was not inspiring people to vote for her.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy Goodbody posted:

You can in fact give people something to vote for while decrying your opponent. If you have a huge image problem with appearing consistent or honest then maybe being frank about your opponents would be a step in the right direction instead of "this is only slightly not okay". One of Hill's biggest problems during the campaign is she kept chasing Republican votes instead of democratic votes.

EDIT: It's an extension of the fact that she kept saying everything is getting better or is fine. It turned off people whose economic situation is getting worse and people whose social situation is still garbage. The campaign often came off as nothing but elevator music.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Guy Goodbody posted:

It worked in 2006, but it was probably the sex scandal that actually won them both houses of congress

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Venom Snake posted:

Pick something and stick to it. Don't want it back, don't cave immediately. And for gods sake stop reaching out to Republicans.

Find some big stupid positive message and stick to it. Hope and Change. Make America Great Again. Hammer those relentlessly, even if Hillary Clinton says that's idealistic and impossible. That seems to be a winning strategy!

Don't reach out to Republicans in terms of policy, do reach out to them by not insulting them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Venom Snake posted:

That's fine. I'm down with that. How about : No War but Class War. It has a catchy ring to it, it implies pacifism, and it demonstrates who the enemy is.

• Locked thread