Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Did he just completely clown on Apocalypse?

I wish it showed what he said, cause I like to imagine Black Bolt just blows people up by whispering juvenile things like 'butts.'

Lobok posted:

Is it just Black Bolt's voice? Or is it any sound he makes with his mouth. Like can he make that teeth sucking sound? Blow raspberries? Whistle?

He makes a fart noise and Manhattan is flattened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

He one-shotted the Hulk once I believe. And managed to take down Magneto and the entire Brotherhood while in a weakened state.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's technically supposed to be just his voice, but it wouldn't surprise me if someone's thought to be smart and have him blowup some stuff by clicking his tongue. I think people being smart the other way by letting him communicate through non-vocal sounds get slapped down by editorial.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

uPen posted:

Hi I'm an super powerful being who can level cities with a whisper. I like to wear fetish latex suits over my whole body 24/7 with a tuning fork on my forehead.

Are /you/ gonna be the one to tell him he looks stupid?

EDIT: Also my favorite thing about Black Bolt is his actual name is "Blackagar Boltagon", which is the Kirbiest thing that ever Kirbied.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

SilverSupernova posted:

He one-shotted the Hulk once I believe.

And Hulk clowned him off-screen during World War Hulk. So yeah, he's either there to dunk or be dunked on as the plot requires.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What happens if someone punches him in the gut? Do you get an "oof" and the city explodes?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

fatherdog posted:

EDIT: Also my favorite thing about Black Bolt is his actual name is "Blackagar Boltagon", which is the Kirbiest thing that ever Kirbied.

Yes, thankfully Karnak told him how weak his first choice "Agaragon" sounded so he had to go with Blackbolt.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

fatherdog posted:

It's actually Gruenwaldian.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Does he have wings under his arms like the Wile E. Coyote bat-suit?

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-
I just posted this in another thread but I'm okay with that, I'm okay with me.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

fatherdog posted:

It seems like what we call "super-hero costumes" are an important part of the Inhuman culture that everyone else appropriated.

The Lone Badger posted:

What happens if someone punches him in the gut? Do you get an "oof" and the city explodes?

Yes, but no: his real super-power is self-control.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
My favorite Black Bolt weirdness is that his powers are not sound based in nature. His words just cause Strange Cosmic Badness to occur. So he can tell a spaceship to gently caress off and it just gets vaporized despite being in a vacuum.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Knormal posted:

Does he have wings under his arms like the Wile E. Coyote bat-suit?

It's where Gene Simmons got the idea for his wings.

And that non fight in World War Hulk as bullshit. JR jr agrees, and wishes he could have done a whole issue of just them fighting.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Open Marriage Night posted:

And that non fight in World War Hulk as bullshit. JR jr agrees, and wishes he could have done a whole issue of just them fighting.

Hulk did a badass line in it though, I think it was set up by Medusa:

Medusa: "Black Bolt crush every bone in your body with a mere whisper."

(Black Bolt hits him with his whisper, thinks he's won, Hulk comes out of the rubble and grabs him by his mouth)

Hulk: "I don't want a whisper, I want to hear you scream."

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
The Earth X version died on a high note: A bunch of Celestials came down to Earth, sick of all the poo poo the humans mutants were up to. Black Bolt flew up into near space and started taking them on...alone. So he could call out to Galactus from across the universe for help. And he manages to destroy one of them during the fight before they absolutely annihilate him iirc.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Didn't Black Bolt also just suddenly find half a dozen "lost tribes" of Inhumans one day and marry the leader of each?

I'd think that would piss off Medusa just a little.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Mercy, duh.

How is the answer anything other than Reinhardt? For reals. Clark and Rein would get along famously.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

Yes, but no: his real super-power is self-control.

Yeah surprise or pain wouldn't work, but I'm thinking physically forcing the air out of his lungs with a blow.

Takezio
Nov 7, 2011

Open Marriage Night posted:

It's where Gene Simmons got the idea for his wings.

If I recall correctly, wasn't that when he was replaced with a Skrull, based on the timeline? I just like to think that it would have been way more awesome if it were actually Black Bolt (Wishful thinking, I know).

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Hulk did a badass line in it though, I think it was set up by Medusa:

Medusa: "Black Bolt crush every bone in your body with a mere whisper."

(Black Bolt hits him with his whisper, thinks he's won, Hulk comes out of the rubble and grabs him by his mouth)

Hulk: "I don't want a whisper, I want to hear you scream."

I like the line, but like...how does that result in anything but Black Bolt proceeding to scream and dissolving Hulk from reality?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SonicRulez posted:

I like the line, but like...how does that result in anything but Black Bolt proceeding to scream and dissolving Hulk from reality?

Maybe he didn't want to also destroy the moon and all the Inhumans.

I think he was actually a Skrull at the time.

prefect fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 23, 2016

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Am I a Skrull?

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Am I a Skrull?

NO. THERE ARE NO SKRULL INVADERS. THAT IS SILLY. HA HA HA.

Sire, they're on to us!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

SonicRulez posted:

I'm guessing the Hulk has enough strength to hold Black Bolt's jaw shut if he lays hands on him, and at that point it's down to whether or not Black Bolt would (or even can) blow off his own jaw to scream the hulk into his constituent atoms.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That was also Worldbreaker Hulk, which is basically powerful enough to cause earthquakes by walking too fast.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
World war hulk kind of sucked.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Work Friend Keven posted:

World war hulk kind of sucked.

It kind of did. Especially when all the smartest people on earth all tried to just out brute force the Hulk instead of just shunting him off to the negative zone or the planes of ghenna or wherever the gently caress they're sending mega-villains to chill until the plot requires them these days.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Who What Now posted:

It kind of did. Especially when all the smartest people on earth all tried to just out brute force the Hulk instead of just shunting him off to the negative zone or the planes of ghenna or wherever the gently caress they're sending mega-villains to chill until the plot requires them these days.

Pretty sure "let's just shunt the Hulk off somewhere harmless" is how they got into that mess in the first place.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Cabbit posted:

Pretty sure "let's just shunt the Hulk off somewhere harmless" is how they got into that mess in the first place.

Yeah but if they put him in a pocket dimension what's the worst he could do. Punch the walls of reality? That's stupid! Who'd use an idea like that?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

good day for a bris posted:

Yeah but if they put him in a pocket dimension what's the worst he could do. Punch the walls of reality? That's stupid! Who'd use an idea like that?

I'm pretty sure Hulk's done that before. Didn't he punch hard enough to travel through time once?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Endless Mike posted:

Who do you think Clark plays as?

Superman #11

Came from space (sort of)
Wears glasses
Able to leap over tall buildings in a single bound

Winston all day long

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It's Mercy for the exact same reason his favourite Metallica song is And Justice For All - because of the name and nothing deeper than that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

It's Mercy for the exact same reason his favourite Metallica song is And Justice For All - because of the name and nothing deeper than that.

It's Mercy because his DAY JOB is being a super-strong invincible super being who is immensely strong and unstoppable and thus the escapist fantasy is being a support. :colbert:

Lucio is also acceptable.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

SilverSupernova posted:

He one-shotted the Hulk once I believe. And managed to take down Magneto and the entire Brotherhood while in a weakened state.

Greg Pak also had him vaporize the Sentry in a What If issue (Caiera invades Earth to avenge Hulk's death). Same story that first introduced Skaar before he showed up in canon.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Meanwhile Bruce mains Genji all loving day.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PantsOptional posted:

Meanwhile Bruce mains Genji all loving day.

Nah. Bruce favors striking fear into his opponents. He wants them to know he's coming. Know they can't stop him. That he's planned every move out in advance. He wants to look them in the face as they realize their defeat.

He plays Mei.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

either of those scenarios are acceptable to me

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Choco1980 posted:

The Earth X version died on a high note: A bunch of Celestials came down to Earth, sick of all the poo poo the humans mutants were up to. Black Bolt flew up into near space and started taking them on...alone. So he could call out to Galactus from across the universe for help. And he manages to destroy one of them during the fight before they absolutely annihilate him iirc.

That was one of the Galactus' that was Franklin, right?

He also once whispered "war" and blew up a US navy carrier battlegroup.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

It's Mercy because his DAY JOB is being a super-strong invincible super being who is immensely strong and unstoppable and thus the escapist fantasy is being a support. :colbert:

Lucio is also acceptable.

So Superman is a healslut?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

The Lone Badger posted:

Yeah surprise or pain wouldn't work, but I'm thinking physically forcing the air out of his lungs with a blow.

That'd be hard to do though. Dude's crazy strong, like Thing or Hulk levels of whomping. You'd need a hell of a hit to make him gasp.

Karnak could probably do it, but honestly, if you are that close to him and hitting him, when he gasps or goes "OOF" or whatever he does, you'd be dead anyway. Not exactly a great battle plan.