Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Godholio posted:

It probably doesn't.

Given that I know basically zero about the details of radar, what would be the resolution error for a low-ish frequency radar (say the L-Band from the Nebo-M system)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ukranian Flanker pilots doing dumb poo poo at airshows? What could possibly go wrong?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPtYo7pYUyY

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Alaan posted:

My brother is an electrical engineer and worked at a company that made a bunch of radio components for both Motorola and airlines and stuff, most of it being made in China. Part of his job was going to the Chinese factories when the gently caress up rate got too high and see what the hell was up. He said the usual trip consisted of him going, tell them what was wrong, a lot of bobbing heads, and then nothing actually getting changed as they kept using a crap component or something.

One of the companies they worked with got hosed hard because they actually decided to check if their certified lead free components were lead free. Spoilers: They weren't.

Used to work in the semiconductor industry and this is pretty true. You'd go out there, visit your contract manufacturer, go over the specs and they'd do a run with all your specified components.

As soon as you left, they'd start swapping in the cheapest "equivalents" they could find.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Sperglord posted:

Back to missile guidance for a second, I have wondered on and off if the following is a solution to the anti-stealth SAM problem:
- A low-frequency radar which can localize a stealth aircraft to ~10km
- A high diving SAM with active / passive radar and IR, whose trajectory is shaped to come down on the target area from above / behind to maximize possible radar / IR return

The low-frequency radar localizes the target to a sufficiently small volume so that the incoming missile can detect it at short ranges.

The field of regard and resolution of any reasonable missile seeker is insufficent to conduct a search of that large a volume and prosecute an attack during the ToF available in the terminal phase of the intercept.

LF radar antennas tend to be large, power thirsty affairs, indicating fixed installations or at best limiting mobility. Large fixed targets are not the future of air defense.

The solution to bridging the gap between long range early warning radar and a missile seeker is called "a manned interceptor with onboard radar."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Captain von Trapp posted:

The actual answer is probably South America, fwiw.

In a full scale nuclear exchange, even countries like Australia, Brazil, or New Zealand could catch a few warheads during a secondary or tertiary phase of exchange simply to present them with hardships. All three of these example countries could offer shelter and partial replenishment to naval vessels or expeditionary forces in transit. A few detonations would foster a national crisis, reducing their ability, incentive, and/or openness to render aid or shelter to allies for fear of further reprisal or giving up valuable commodities and resources desperately needed by their own people.

Basically any city in a country friendly to the United States with a deep water port, and especially those with very large ship maintenance and repair capabilities is going to eat a nuke at some phase regardless of their standing if poo poo really goes wrong.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Alaan posted:

My brother is an electrical engineer and worked at a company that made a bunch of radio components for both Motorola and airlines and stuff, most of it being made in China. Part of his job was going to the Chinese factories when the gently caress up rate got too high and see what the hell was up. He said the usual trip consisted of him going, tell them what was wrong, a lot of bobbing heads, and then nothing actually getting changed as they kept using a crap component or something.

One of the companies they worked with got hosed hard because they actually decided to check if their certified lead free components were lead free. Spoilers: They weren't.

The Chinese firms habit of subcontracting to the nth degree is definitely the heart of the problem (also probably an overeliance on IP theft which was the cause of the cap failures in the early aughts); the US military system of tracking parts is something that would be very hard to emulate by the PLAAF. Hell, just look at the B-2 parts scandals of the late 80s, the Chinese might not notice a problem of that magnitude until another couple J-20s fall out of the air.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I'm loathe to criticise Chinese engineering too much when right now they can put people into space and we can't.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

That Works posted:

I'm loathe to criticise Chinese engineering too much when right now they can put people into space and we can't.

Not having a currently qualified manned launch platform due to political reasons has pretty much nothing to do with engineering capability.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Murgos posted:

Not having a currently qualified manned launch platform due to political reasons has pretty much nothing to do with engineering capability.

Other than to highlight their engineering capability can be quite good.

I've worked with / currently work with a lot of Chinese scientists and I feel like making a blanket statement about their skills and/or training is shortsighted.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Sperglord posted:

Given that I know basically zero about the details of radar, what would be the resolution error for a low-ish frequency radar (say the L-Band from the Nebo-M system)?

That depends on things other than just the frequency. Like really notably, the aperture. How wide an antenna can you fit into a AAM body? Answer: not very.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Sperglord posted:

This is one of those questions that is a constant area of research in the military and specific enough no one will answer it.

That Works posted:

Other than to highlight their engineering capability can be quite good.

I've worked with / currently work with a lot of Chinese scientists and I feel like making a blanket statement about their skills and/or training is shortsighted.

I don't think we're criticizing the intelligence of any of the engineers or the Chinese in general. You do have three people working for three different companies saying they had the exact same experience though. There's an undeniable culture I'm calling the "cheapest ingredients" mentality and in electronics and aerospace manufacturing that causes tremendous problems largely related to part and process control. It's not the engineering itself that is bad, necessarily.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

That Works posted:

Something something space race something missile gap something lagging behind the Soviets something something Mayak something Nedelin.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Murgos posted:

Yes, the fact that China's government is diverting more of its resources toward prestige projects of questionable economic value doesn't mitigate the fact that we are many times wealthier than they are.

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.
I think there is a big difference between the Chinese commercial engineering world where "cheap is best" vs what the Chinese military and government engineering companies. The military can spend more and demand better quality so I don't think using Chinese OEMs that service the commercial market is a good benchmark. It probably doesnt cover the full gap in capabilities but I don't think we can just say that these engineers that work in the military companies and government agencies behave the same as a OEM electronics company and have the same resource and low quality bar constraints.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Sperglord posted:

:lol:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
China has most of, if not all of the top 10 supercomputers in the world. That is, the ones we know about :tinfoil:

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

CarForumPoster posted:

This is one of those questions that is a constant area of research in the military and specific enough no one will answer it.

You know, in retrospect, that was a really stupid question. I'm sorry. (As I said, I really know nothing about physics / design of radars. Not even where interesting questions end and sensitive questions begin.)

Ok, let me rephrase: many people say that low-frequency radar cannot get sufficient accuracy for a missile seeker-head basket. That is presented as a fact, without supporting evidence based upon radar physics / weapon seeker physics. Is this an actual physical fact or a limitation of current technology / sensor processing / etc?

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

In the Chinar thread they pointed out that all these "supercomputers" are just rebadged data centers. Also, raw calcs per second is not the ultimate grade of SC function. Also for Mil-Spec parts being better, the Type-98 in this year's tank Biathlon broke a roadwheel suspension arm.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Sperglord posted:

You know, in retrospect, that was a really stupid question. I'm sorry. (As I said, I really know nothing about physics / design of radars. Not even where interesting questions end and sensitive questions begin.)

Ok, let me rephrase: many people say that low-frequency radar cannot get sufficient accuracy for a missile seeker-head basket. That is presented as a fact, without supporting evidence based upon radar physics / weapon seeker physics. Is this an actual physical fact or a limitation of current technology / sensor processing / etc?

Passive sonar frequency sensitivity is very dependent on the size of the array. In ham radio, you can get by with an 8" antenna for 2m but you'll have to string about 80 feet of wire to use 160m. Both are because of the wavelength of the different frequencies. I presume the limitations are similar for radar.

e: strictly speaking, I don't know if it's the wavelength, but low frequency transmitters/receivers generally need bigger antennas/sensors.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 23, 2016

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Chinese engineers are fine, it's the corporate culture that will screw you. Culture is by its nature pervasive, and with something complex and interlocking like aerospace supply chains it only takes one guy in one office deciding he's going to "outsmart" the system for something to go wrong. So in a culture where duplicity is considered just part of the business day and practices like quality fade are common, it must be a constant uphill battle to keep your supply chain safe. Even if you've got a head office full of superb people who have a culture of excellence themselves.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Sperglord posted:

Basically, the higher the frequency, the more accurate the data. Higher frequency radars focus a narrower beam and have fewer spurious returns. I've forgotten half the physics I ever learned on this, but it's all out there if you really want to read it. Buthis is why fighters use much higher frequencies than search radars...you need the higher fidelity to actually guide a missile close enough. And the further out you go, your beamwidth (resolution cell) gets larger. So for a truly long-distance target, your radar has to be a tight beam to get any kind of fidelity. And that's just not how low-freq radars work. It's a lot easier to narrow that beam with a larger antenna...which is where a missile is hampered severely. And that is why you need drat good guidance supporting that missile until it's close enough that it can find the target with it's soda-straw radar beam. The larger the search volume (and at 300km it's loving huge) the harder it is for it to find the target...and then you've got the speed and battery life to factor in.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Sperglord posted:

FY2005 - Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency posted:

The Wide Area All Terrain Change Indication Technologies (WATCH-IT) initiative is developing real-time VHF/UHF synthetic aperture
radar (SAR) automatic change detection and discrimination technologies. These provide the commander with rapid, robust detection of
threat systems in the open, under camouflage and in foliage. WATCH-IT features discrimination algorithms to examine change
detections, to determine if they have threat vehicle characteristics. Indications of change cue on- or off-board high-resolution sensors to
perform target identification. WATCH-IT is designed to operate from platforms such as the high altitude unmanned air vehicle (UAV). It
will demonstrate high area-coverage rates with few false alarms. It provides commanders with a critical capability that currently does not
exist. The program also develops techniques to extract 3-D vehicle images from multiple -pass polarimetric SAR imagery. This enables
rejection of confusers (i.e., decoys, relocated vehicles that are not of military significance), and thus greatly improves target classification
identification.

In 2005 DARPA thought they could build a 3D model of a vehicle from a UAV using UHF/VHF. Keep in mind ground clutter is likely the biggest issue with this frequency band. No idea what became of this program but it along with ~5 other related programs got $32 million in funding so I'd hazard a guess it isn't totally ridiculous.

EDIT: Just noticed you said seeker head. I'm guessing the answer is no WRT the seeker head due to size/weight/power limitations. YOu need a decently sized platform to support the radar and processing.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 23, 2016

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

CarForumPoster posted:

In 2005 DARPA thought they could build a 3D model of a vehicle from a UAV using UHF/VHF. Keep in mind ground clutter is likely the biggest issue with this frequency band. No idea what became of this program but it along with ~5 other related programs got $32 million in funding so I'd hazard a guess it isn't totally ridiculous.

EDIT: Just noticed you said seeker head. I'm guessing the answer is no WRT the seeker head due to size/weight/power limitations. YOu need a decently sized platform to support the radar and processing.

That's SAR, though, which fundamentally depends on the radar moving quickly and in a known way relative to the target. This works great for airplanes and satellites imaging the ground, but it's not effective for search and track against an adversary in a fast-moving aircraft who's actively looking for ways to mess with your radar signal.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Gervasius posted:

Ukranian Flanker pilots doing dumb poo poo at airshows? What could possibly go wrong?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPtYo7pYUyY

:stare: jfc that dude who dived under the wing probably blew a hole in his pants.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Space Gopher posted:

That's SAR, though, which fundamentally depends on the radar moving quickly and in a known way relative to the target. This works great for airplanes and satellites imaging the ground, but it's not effective for search and track against an adversary in a fast-moving aircraft who's actively looking for ways to mess with your radar signal.

This is not my area of expertise but...the J-20 and PAK-FA are probably obsolete if you can get a UHF/VHF radar to make fire control quality tracks against airborne targets. The only planes that wouldn't be would have to be quite large. It is not impossible to do this in theory. This will likely not be achieved with a seeker head but it doesn't need to be if you've got a working datalink and an FC quality track or generally better than whats thought of for scan/surveillance radars. The terminal phase can then be with any of the existing technologies in seeker heads.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 23, 2016

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

For those who might be interested, ultimate modern milsperg game Command Modern Naval/Operations is not only now on Steam, but is 65% off it's usual ludicrous price.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Cyrano4747 posted:

:stare: jfc that dude who dived under the wing probably blew a hole in his pants.

Dude's a pussy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC0AW7G50NA

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Sperglord posted:

It's not so much the frequency that's directly relevant here. Again, what you are really neglecting is *aperture*. Aperture goes in large part to determining both gain and resolution, and you are limited to how wide an aperture you can have by more-or-less the diameter of the missile body.

Gain = 4*pi*aperture/wavelength^2

Low-frequency = high-wavelength. So for a given size antenna, like what you can fit into a missile, if you use a low-frequency beam then your wavelength is big and your wavelength^2 is really big so your gain sucks so you're not getting a return unless you get closer. That's why when you're trying to hit something with a missile, you use high-frequency radars so that you maximize the gain of your relatively tiny antenna.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Arglebargle III posted:

Chinese engineers are fine, it's the corporate culture that will screw you. Culture is by its nature pervasive, and with something complex and interlocking like aerospace supply chains it only takes one guy in one office deciding he's going to "outsmart" the system for something to go wrong. So in a culture where duplicity is considered just part of the business day and practices like quality fade are common, it must be a constant uphill battle to keep your supply chain safe. Even if you've got a head office full of superb people who have a culture of excellence themselves.

The corporate culture probably is a big issue, but when it comes to military supplies I would think they have an effective counter measure, the execution squad.

Trying to scam foreign companies with cheaper parts is obvious tactic, because what are they gonna do, find a more expensive manufacturer? But trying the same with military sounds like an easy way for the CEO to receive corruption charges and a personal execution squad. I doubt they would have to kill that many before the supply chain got the hint.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Saukkis posted:

The corporate culture probably is a big issue, but when it comes to military supplies I would think they have an effective counter measure, the execution squad.

Trying to scam foreign companies with cheaper parts is obvious tactic, because what are they gonna do, find a more expensive manufacturer? But trying the same with military sounds like an easy way for the CEO to receive corruption charges and a personal execution squad. I doubt they would have to kill that many before the supply chain got the hint.

I'd be very surprised to learn that the supply chain is tightly controlled in the Chinese military. It is a tremendous effort here where we do have the "culture of quality" as American companies like to say. As someone above me mentioned, subbing to your subs subcontractors is very common there. To have each link in the chain be from a qualified manufacturer, especially when it comes time to buy spares of obsolete components, yea good luck.

...even worse when the OEM is a now defunct Russian/American/Israeli company.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Sperglord posted:

There's a pretty large body of open civil/academic/industry radar research that's not sensitive about this kind of thing. Basically the shorter the wavelength, the narrower the beam. The wider the aperture, the narrower the beam. Finding the direction of the peak return is therefore more or less a function of the beam width at the target, the signal to noise ratio coming off of the target, and terms involving how clever your signal processing is. Now, the size of that reflected signal coming from targets that try very very hard not to reflect a signal is the sensitive bit for the most part. That's what makes your question difficult, not so much the radar physics itself.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Saukkis posted:

You might think that the Chinese military is a bastion of integrity. You'd be wrong though.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

CarForumPoster posted:

I'd be very surprised to learn that the supply chain is tightly controlled in the Chinese military.

It's not at all, if you think the bull that US Airforce, Army, Navy, and Marines pull against one another is cringe worth, you would not believe the kind rear end in a top hat power plays that happen within the Chinese military on a micro level as Generals sabotage other Generals, Majors screw with other Majors, and so forth.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

david_a posted:

Speaking of giant-rear end missiles, here's the ASM-135 ASAT that I found at the AF Museum:

I may have known about this thing in the past but I had forgotten it existed. This is an anti-satellite missile designed to be fired from an F-15:

I went to the "Dawn Patrol" thing the AF Musuem hosted in early October which is all about WWI planes. They had a few flying around, but my camera's not the best for stuff like that so I'll spare you most of them.

This is a Jenny, one of the few original planes there. I never really thought of it before, but real planes from WWI must be pretty scarce in the US. Did the US actually build any fighters?

Apparently on this Jenny the owner had replaced the original boat anchor V8 (90hp!) with a Chevy small block.

There were replica fighters too but all of them just flew by in a big circle.

Here's Ernst Udet:

Anyway, this was also the first time I visited the museum since they opened the fourth hangar. The last time we saw the XB-70 go night-night:

Here she is in her new digs!

ENGINES

The new hangar is pretty great. The lighting is like 400% brighter than the other halls. It's also great to see the planes spread out (sort of) instead of being smashed together. Things were packed so tight in the old temporary hangar that there was no way you could register what you were looking at.

Some other stuff:

I forgot what this was, but I'm gonna call it the Schnozmaster:

Thunderscreech fittingly up on blocks:

Oh hey, they have that thing too

And a UFO!

And a 707. This was the Air Force One that Johnson was sworn in on. They actually hacked up part of the interior to fit JFKs coffin in it since they didn't think it was right to stow him with the cargo.

Perennial "What If" Champion YF-23.

I never suspected that the Air Force had Farscape One mothballed in a hangar.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Preechr posted:

I never suspected that the Air Force had Farscape One mothballed in a hangar.
I assume you're taking about the Martin X-24A. I think I had a closeup of it too but I'm home for the holidays so welp.

I swear you have to go to this place like a minimum of three times before you even notice half the stuff. See that big green thing next to the XB-70? That's a HEXAGON KH-9, the last and most badass film-based spy satellite the US used. Amazing in its own right, but I didn't pay any notice to it until my third trip because it used to be wedged between a B-36 and RB-47 and there was a model atomic bomb close by and omigosh look at that B-58 over there :aaaaa: :eyepop:

Anyway, the "Big Bird's" camera could take stereo pictures with a maximum resolution of 0.6 meters. The KH-9 had four enormous film pods that it would detach and let fall back to earth, where something like a Flying Boxcar would snatch it in midair(!)

david_a fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 24, 2016

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

david_a posted:

Anyway, the "Big Bird's" camera could take stereo pictures with a maximum resolution of 0.6 meters. The KH-9 had four enormous film pods that it would detach and let fall back to earth, where something like a Flying Boxcar would snatch it in midair(!)

That reminds me: How did they de-orbit the film canisters when they were ejected? Retro-burn/eject/pro-burn the satellite seems... too kerbal

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Here is some Russian Air/Ground power photos that I took this year at Army 2016.

http://imgur.com/a/jRtTe

Xerxes17 fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Nov 24, 2016

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I went with my elderly Dad (flew jets in the 60s for the Air Force) to visit the Museum of Flight in Seattle and just ended up numbed by it all

All my favorite planes crammed close together. Too much to take in on one visit.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I would never normally tell anyone to go to Florida but Eglin Airforce base has an amazing air museum. Pensacola Navy base also has an outstanding air museum so at least you could do a 2 for 1 trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Captain Postal posted:

That reminds me: How did they de-orbit the film canisters when they were ejected? Retro-burn/eject/pro-burn the satellite seems... too kerbal
Gravity drop, parachute, MIDAIR loving INTERCEPT.