Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.

SyHopeful posted:

What's a good basic workflow that you folks use?

My work flow is very different on different models, but I can give you some tips on things I have learned the hard way at least. Since I don't know your experience level maybe some of this is really basic, but here goes.

Test the fit of the major parts by just taping the kit together. If it doesn't fit, make sure you find the exact spot where the parts don't fit. I have accidentally removed tons of material in one spot just to realize that it was actually a bit of flash somewhere else that was in the way.

Use masking tape when filling. At least Tamiya's white putty wants to go all over the place, when I really just need a tiny bit right on the seam.

Wet sand. It's less dusty and seems to make sanding paper last a bit longer. And don't use too rough paper, be patient and work that fine paper for longer if necessary.

Use extra thin glue. It goes into the seams like magic and has some other uses too, like leveling out sharp details or sanding/cutting mistakes. Don't hold the model together with tape when using it though, it will get sucked up underneath the tape and destroy the surface. Be careful with canopies also, It will cloud the clear plastic if you drop on too much.

The smaller the model, the lighter the shade of paint. Colors seem darker on smaller objects so the "correct" color for a certain aircraft may be too dark on a small model.

If your are brush painting, make sure you thin the paint properly. Multiple thin coats will look amazingly much better than one really thick and goopy layer.

If you are airbrushing, make sure you thin the paint properly. Some say certain paints can be used straight from the bottle. This may be true in some cases but most often is not.

Don't rush to finish. When the model starts to look good I always tend to rush the last parts when I really should stop, take a step back and do the finishing touches with patience.

Get an airbrush. Even cheap ones can do amazing things with a bit of practice. Especially when you combine it with masking techniques.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

SyHopeful posted:

What's a good basic workflow that you folks use?

Step 1 - Buy a chunk of wood.
Step 2 - Invest a ridiculous amount of money in tools.

:v:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

PirateDentist posted:

Have tiny vandals mid-act rappelling from the roof. A tiny spray paint can in hand.

Maybe they're vandals who are really good at planning, and they stole a cherry picker, and some safety vests and cones to mark out the area.

ANARCHY, and safety, in the UK.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Maybe they're vandals who are really good at planning, and they stole a cherry picker, and some safety vests and cones to mark out the area.

ANARCHY, and safety, in the UK.

If you think about it, no one would really question a crew like that rolling up to a building. It's the advanced version of confidently walking around with a clipboard and hard hat.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PirateDentist posted:

If you think about it, no one would really question a crew like that rolling up to a building. It's the advanced version of confidently walking around with a clipboard and hard hat.
Nobody did. Twice.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

makka-setan posted:

My work flow is very different on different models, but I can give you some tips on things I have learned the hard way at least. Since I don't know your experience level maybe some of this is really basic, but here goes.

Test the fit of the major parts by just taping the kit together. If it doesn't fit, make sure you find the exact spot where the parts don't fit. I have accidentally removed tons of material in one spot just to realize that it was actually a bit of flash somewhere else that was in the way.

Use masking tape when filling. At least Tamiya's white putty wants to go all over the place, when I really just need a tiny bit right on the seam.

Wet sand. It's less dusty and seems to make sanding paper last a bit longer. And don't use too rough paper, be patient and work that fine paper for longer if necessary.

Use extra thin glue. It goes into the seams like magic and has some other uses too, like leveling out sharp details or sanding/cutting mistakes. Don't hold the model together with tape when using it though, it will get sucked up underneath the tape and destroy the surface. Be careful with canopies also, It will cloud the clear plastic if you drop on too much.

The smaller the model, the lighter the shade of paint. Colors seem darker on smaller objects so the "correct" color for a certain aircraft may be too dark on a small model.

If your are brush painting, make sure you thin the paint properly. Multiple thin coats will look amazingly much better than one really thick and goopy layer.

If you are airbrushing, make sure you thin the paint properly. Some say certain paints can be used straight from the bottle. This may be true in some cases but most often is not.

Don't rush to finish. When the model starts to look good I always tend to rush the last parts when I really should stop, take a step back and do the finishing touches with patience.

Get an airbrush. Even cheap ones can do amazing things with a bit of practice. Especially when you combine it with masking techniques.

Thanks! I've been slowly rebuilding my tools over the last few weeks, including some of the recommendations here. I also just picked up a Paasche that is in great shape.

I'm going to start with this kit that I've had for a while. I bought it because I used to fly on Alaska's 727s back when they still operated them, so I have a soft spot for them. Also, the kit isn't of a very high quality, so I don't mind sacrificing it to the learning gods.

I'm going to follow your taping route to get an idea of where to start.

This model has clear plastic strips for the windows that get installed from inside the fuselage. This means I'll have to mask them for painting after gluing the fuselage together - is this a good application for liquid mask?

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.

SyHopeful posted:

This model has clear plastic strips for the windows that get installed from inside the fuselage. This means I'll have to mask them for painting after gluing the fuselage together - is this a good application for liquid mask?

Are you going to paint it like on the box? Even if there are decals for the blue/green lines I would paint them on. This gives you a perfect opportunity to paint the fuselage before putting the windows in, and then you can work on the seams with the windows protected by tape. This tape could also be the mask for painting the colored lines. Perfect windows and the lines might even look better than decals. Long thin decals are hard to get perfectly straight anyway. It might not work with the cockpit windows though.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

makka-setan posted:

Are you going to paint it like on the box? Even if there are decals for the blue/green lines I would paint them on. This gives you a perfect opportunity to paint the fuselage before putting the windows in, and then you can work on the seams with the windows protected by tape. This tape could also be the mask for painting the colored lines. Perfect windows and the lines might even look better than decals. Long thin decals are hard to get perfectly straight anyway. It might not work with the cockpit windows though.

Planning to, the whole reason I got this specific kit was the Alaska livery. Not a bad idea on painting the lines! It does come with decals, but haven't even begun to mentally tackle their application. Why not mask and paint??

So I'd like to mask/prep/paint the fuselage as a whole instead of two halves. How would I accomplish that without gluing the pieces together or using external clamps that would get in the way? Or would I suck it up and paint it in portions, using external clamps?

The cockpit windows will be a challenge, since they are one-piece that includes part of the fuselage, but molded in clear plastic. So in addition to painting the white plastic fuselage, I'll have to color match the clear plastic cockpit while masking off the windows and window trim.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
This kit is a real piece of poo poo, so I figured I'll make it look the part.

Still to come: an enormous amount of mud to conceal the worst vinyl tracks I've ever seen.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Looking good so far, man.

I've always felt a high-quality modeler can make a crap-kit look good, and you're certainly pulling that off here. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.

SyHopeful posted:

So I'd like to mask/prep/paint the fuselage as a whole instead of two halves. How would I accomplish that without gluing the pieces together or using external clamps that would get in the way? Or would I suck it up and paint it in portions, using external clamps?

Not sure if I understand what you mean. Why would you want to paint the fuselage as a whole but not gluing it together. I can't see any advantage over working with the individual halves separately, gluing it and then fix the seam line.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

makka-setan posted:

Not sure if I understand what you mean. Why would you want to paint the fuselage as a whole but not gluing it together. I can't see any advantage over working with the individual halves separately, gluing it and then fix the seam line.

Yeah I didn't word that very clearly. It's a workflow issue - when I get home I'll try to take pics.

I did start fitting and gluing some of the minor components together! The Tamiya extra thin cement I got is loving brilliant. I used to use that goopy Testors crap. This is so much better.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I'm really excited to try this "blue stuff". It looks really easy to deal with and is reusable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVZLXLaidjQ

I've done mold making in the past, it's expensive and messy and uses terrible chemicals you don't want on your hands, then pouring liquid resin is a pain too and you have to deal with bubbles and poo poo. This guy's methods look so simple and easy. Has anyone worked with either the blue stuff or the 2-part putty?

Also this guy has a tutorial on doing your own photo-etching, you almost need a dark-room and some nasty chemicals but it's totally something you could do at home.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NntLi4KcLlI

Good youtube channel in general, worth "czeching" out.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.

Baronjutter posted:

So I'm really excited to try this "blue stuff". It looks really easy to deal with and is reusable.

Me too! I need to duplicate a wheel on my Tamiya Jeep but I'm not sure how well it will work on rubber parts. It's not very expensive so I'll probably get some to try out eventually. Also Plasmo is very talented and tenacious, I can't imagine how much time he spends off-camera to prepare these videos.

SyHopeful posted:

Yeah I didn't word that very clearly. It's a workflow issue - when I get home I'll try to take pics.

Yeah, pictures would be great :)

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVZLXLaidjQ

Wow thats great. I almost never need to use a mold more than a few times so this seems perfect and it would be nice not having to go through all the bullshit of the smooth on mold stuff.

I use Aves Apoxie sculpt which is a two part epoxy for all of my custom action figures are the stuff is amazing. It sculpts like clay and air dries hard enough that you can drill it and sand it but its not flexible. If I need something to be flexible I use a two part called Procreate which is really similar to green stuff but is easier to work with.

I ordered some Oyumaru/Blue stuff from ebay. I'll let you know how it goes.

TouchToneDialing fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 18, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

TouchToneDialing posted:

Wow thats great. I almost never need to use a mold more than a few times so this seems perfect and it would be nice not having to go through all the bullshit of the smooth on mold stuff.

I use Aves Apoxie sculpt which is a two part epoxy for all of my custom action figures are the stuff is amazing. It sculpts like clay and air dries hard enough that you can drill it and sand it but its not flexible. If I need something to be flexible I use a two part called Procreate which is really similar to green stuff but is easier to work with.

I ordered some Oyumaru/Blue stuff from ebay. I'll let you know how it goes.

The same people who make the bluestuff make Milliputty which seems to be similar to what you describe, 2-part epoxy that dries hard like clay and is sandable and such. They also make "green stuff" which comes out more plastic-like and slightly flexible.

Does anyone know a casting material that comes out crystal clear? What I'm wanting to do is 3d-print some N-scale vehicles, and fill the car body with some sort of plastic prism. I've seen some nice commercial N scale vehicles that do this for the glazing and the prism effect at such a tiny scale gives the illusion of some sort of interior. The big problem with any 3d-printed or cast vehicles is always the glazing though. Some people use Kristal Klear for the smaller side windows and some very perfectly cut glazing for the windshield, but it's hard to get good results.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
If you have a Michaels near you, they carry a few brands of clear casting resins that should suit your needs, like EasyCast Clear Casting Epoxy, or Castin' Craft Clear Polyester Resin. I used the Easy Cast to do the water on my AT-ST dio.

If you want to step up in quality, you could go with a Smooth-On product like Crystal Clear. Definitely pricier and harder to find, but they're top quality. If used some of their products in the past, and they've always worked great.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

The same people who make the bluestuff make Milliputty which seems to be similar to what you describe, 2-part epoxy that dries hard like clay and is sandable and such. They also make "green stuff" which comes out more plastic-like and slightly flexible.

Does anyone know a casting material that comes out crystal clear? What I'm wanting to do is 3d-print some N-scale vehicles, and fill the car body with some sort of plastic prism. I've seen some nice commercial N scale vehicles that do this for the glazing and the prism effect at such a tiny scale gives the illusion of some sort of interior. The big problem with any 3d-printed or cast vehicles is always the glazing though. Some people use Kristal Klear for the smaller side windows and some very perfectly cut glazing for the windshield, but it's hard to get good results.

Yeah Milliput is very similar. They are each a bit different to work with though so it comes down to personal preference but both are very good.

Clear casting is a huge pain in the rear end if you don't have a pressure pot to deal with bubbles inside the cast. I had a really hard time getting even mediocre results when I tried it.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I picked up some 3/8" steel bearings to use as paint agitators in larger (4+ ounce) bottles of paint and primer. They work great in the plastic Alclad primer bottles, but I found out the hard way not to use them in the glass bottles. A brand new bottle of white primer down the drain (and that was my only bottle of white :( )

Only registered members can see post attachments!

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.

SkunkDuster posted:

Paintpocalypse.

Well, poo poo.

And I thought I was having a bad day painting the ordinance of the A-10 the wrong color.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

SkunkDuster posted:

I picked up some 3/8" steel bearings to use as paint agitators in larger (4+ ounce) bottles of paint and primer. They work great in the plastic Alclad primer bottles, but I found out the hard way not to use them in the glass bottles. A brand new bottle of white primer down the drain (and that was my only bottle of white :( )

I see you're going for a Pollock camo.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

SkunkDuster posted:

Well if you ever decide to paint your floor, that one area is ready to go.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Just tried some Gravity Colors paint over the weekend and it's extremely good stuff. Highly recommended for my fellow auto modellers out there.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Is there a particularly recommended white lacquer or spray? I got a Ghostbusters kit as my first non-robot kit (and was surprised by how much needs painting), plus a gunnedman with a similar shade of white.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I can safely say that testor's gloss white is poo poo.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Baronjutter posted:

I can safely say that testor's gloss white is poo poo.

Hear him, friends, hear him

Is that the model master stuff? The acrylic stuff?

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Neurolimal posted:

Is there a particularly recommended white lacquer or spray? I got a Ghostbusters kit as my first non-robot kit (and was surprised by how much needs painting), plus a gunnedman with a similar shade of white.

Tamiya white primer if you don't need it to be glossy. If you do need glossy, then Tamiya Pure White works well.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

Mr. Color's gloss white is really great if you can get a hold of it. You need to spray if through an airbrush though and, as it really is a lacquer, you need a spray booth or some such.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Yeah I have an airbrush, and by the time I get ahold of it a lacquer-safe paint booth, thanks for the recommendations!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

George Zimmer posted:

Just tried some Gravity Colors paint over the weekend and it's extremely good stuff. Highly recommended for my fellow auto modellers out there.

Checking them out now. Is this stuff airbrush ready or does it need thinned first?

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Checking them out now. Is this stuff airbrush ready or does it need thinned first?

Airbrush ready! It takes a few coats for the color to build up, but the finish is ultra smooth.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Speaking of, some testors experience that might help others: the Model Masters line is supposedly "airbrush-ready", but that has only been like, 50% true for me. It seems to separate into brushable fluid at the top, and airbrush-destroying gunk at the bottom (I did shake and stir to be sure). I had decent luck using the top layer, then when that was gone mixing the gunk with thinner to get some more out of the jar.

This hasn't been an issue with MM metallizers and metallics so far: -izers are ready out of the jar, and -ics accept thinning very well (and come out gorgeous, MM Chrome Silver might be the nicest non-lacquer metallic I've seen).

(Beyond ease of use, why is "airbrush-ready a selling point anyways? It seems like you're getting less paint in a same size jar than unthinned paint.)

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

George Zimmer posted:

Airbrush ready! It takes a few coats for the color to build up, but the finish is ultra smooth.

Neat. Did you get it straight from them or pick it up locally? I don't see any dealer info on their site.

E: gently caress, the airbrush question is on their FAQs page. Durr.

Boaz MacPhereson fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 23, 2016

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Neat. Did you get it straight from them or pick it up locally? I don't see any dealer info on their site.

E: gently caress, the airbrush question is on their FAQs page. Durr.

Straight from them, ships from Florida.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Look what I did section:

I picked up a Revell "Micro Wings" Hawker Typhoon in 1:144 a while back but after opening the box I immediately dropped the canopy on the floor and crushed it with my desk chair.

Last week I got the inspiration to stretch-form a new one. I glued the old canopy together and sanded the cracks. Then, instead of vacuum forming I just heated some plastic from a piece of packaging and stretched it over the canopy which I had mounted on a stick with some blue tack.

The result is a super thin, very clear and not too oversized canopy. Some detail is lost but hey, it's a 1:144 and the kit sucked rear end anyway.

Question section:

How do you choose kits to build? I want to shop at local shops but they don't keep store inventory online, and I need to be online to check scalemates and/or kit reviews. Life is too short to struggle with bad kits that needs a lot of filling and sanding, and I absolutely will not do a kit with raised details unless it's a cheap little crap plane in 1:144 (see above).

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I just google kits that catch my eye when I'm out picking up paints and whatnot. Half the fun of IRL shopping is stumbling upon neat things you didnt know to look for.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I mostly buy exotic old poo poo from collections. The store I go to has a pretty good flow of "second-hand" kits (sometimes even new stuff at severely reduced prices). Scalemates is instrumental since a lot of old kits are awful.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
I tend to have a small list of kits I certainly want to build sometime in the near future, and other than that I'll check Scalemates on my phone to see if a kit is totally awful. Haven't come across many of those thankfully, and even then I might buy a kit and put in the effort to at least clean it up a bit because the subject matter is interesting enough(like the Revell 1/144 F-19) or the kit is small and cheap(The Micro Wings stuff, or the Revell 1/1200 Titanic) and it's something I can build alongside a bigger kit to keep myself a bit busy while paint or glue is drying. My current workspace is a bit too small to work on multiple larger kits at once.

I do have one apparently lovely kit with raised details in my stash though, and it's bad enough to have a raised copyright date on the outside of the fuselage. It's The Revell P38 Lightning, in 1/72. I mainly got it because it was cheap, and I need more 1/72 in my life. I've been building too much 1/144 already.

Smoke fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 23, 2016

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

makka-setan posted:

Question section:

How do you choose kits to build? I want to shop at local shops but they don't keep store inventory online, and I need to be online to check scalemates and/or kit reviews. Life is too short to struggle with bad kits that needs a lot of filling and sanding, and I absolutely will not do a kit with raised details unless it's a cheap little crap plane in 1:144 (see above).

Check scalemates to see if a kit exists for the scale and subject I want. If so, check reviews. Google "trumpeter 0224 build" or whatever to try to find actual build reviews instead of just in-box reviews. Especially with airplanes. Place order online. I don't have a local hobby shop (Hobbytown USA doesn't really count), so it kind of forces my hand to do it that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I primarily build kits to play wargames with my friends, and the number of brands for WW2 tank kits in 1/48 or 1/56 is pretty limited so...

But I want to try to build some more detailed 1/35 tanks or even some airplanes next year, if I can get the time for it. I just have about a dozen British tanks to paint up first. I recently subscribed to a bunch of Facebook groups about scale modeling, and it was a nice way to get inspired by cool looking kits.

Also, don't underestimate browsing Pinterest. It's not all scrapbooking and interior design, but actually a great way to find cool dioramas and extremely well painted models.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Nov 24, 2016