Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Paul Zuvella posted:

The idea is that they could have gone out and spent that money on people who don't suck.

I understand compensation and performance are two different things.

They wanted Parsons. He would have been a good addition (if healthy.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The platonic ideal of chandler parsons for 25 million a year.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
one day I will witness someone dunk from the 3pt line

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Coaaab posted:

one day I will witness someone dunk from the 3pt line

if a 3pt line dunk isn't worth three points there is no god

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

proposal: attempting free throw line dunks should be allowed in place of regular fts

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Shear Modulus posted:

proposal: attempting free throw line dunks should be allowed in place of regular fts

Wilt always ruining things for everyone else.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

straight up brolic posted:

btw Jamal Murray was v good last night and my post calling him bad at everything right now will probably be dug up in 2020

When people find my praise of him earlier they won't know it was literally based off of a couple preseason games.

Did the Celtics just alphabetize their draft spreadsheet and pick the wrong guy with a name that starts with J??

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Paul Zuvella posted:

The idea is that they could have gone out and spent that money on people who don't suck.

I understand compensation and performance are two different things.

That's not something we can actually know, though. We don't know who was actually willing to sign with them and at what costs. But yes, the Turner contract was atrocious and he obviously isn't playing up to it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Parsons is currently in rehab for another 2 weeks from injury. Parsons would not be helping right now.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Tae posted:

Parsons is currently in rehab for another 2 weeks from injury. Parsons would not be helping right now.

That's why I specified (if healthy), the problem with Parsons post-Houston is that if rarely happens. I hope he can turn it around and stay healthy, but I'm glad Dallas has Barnes instead.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Paul Zuvella posted:

The Blazers are paying Allen Crabbe 18.5 million dollars for .5 win shares and are paying Evan Turner 16.4 for literally 0 win shares.

That is why they are a bad team. Any time you're playing 2 below average wings a combined 35 million dollars you're gonna have problems.

The bigger issue is what happens after this season. This is going to be the blazers, more or less, for the next 4 years unless they can get someone to take on some of their contracts.

I thought for sure Krabby would play well this season. Guess I was mistaken.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

I knew this day would come

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

Oh Lord

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Shear Modulus posted:

if a 3pt line dunk isn't worth three points there is no god

It would count as a three under current NBA rules.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Papercut posted:

That's not something we can actually know, though. We don't know who was actually willing to sign with them and at what costs. But yes, the Turner contract was atrocious and he obviously isn't playing up to it.

This is precisely the problem the Blazers have had forever. Nobody wants to play in Portland so they either have to get very lucky in free agency and sign guys that nobody wants but turn out ok (Aminu, Davis), or they have to spend big money to get guys like Turner. When those gambles don't work out you get stuck with a team that doesn't look very good going forward.

I just hope that they can find something resembling a defense. That would go a long way to making them look better. At least they've got 4 years to figure it out.

:suicide:

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Portland's defense probably would have been a lot better if Festus Ezeli hadn't died.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
So, looks like Rockets are done negotiating with D-Mo. He's pretty much in uncharted territory now, has this ever happened before?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

leftist heap posted:

Portland's defense probably would have been a lot better if Festus Ezeli hadn't died.
Idk he probably wouldn't be playing more than 15-20 min a game they have too many big men. Plumlee (although he's annoying) and Davis should both get at least 15 min and you can't really play Ezeli with either of those guys

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
The only reason Portland was able to sign Ezeli is because his knees are hosed. His signing was a hail mary attempt by the Blazers. No one should be counting on him to get healthy.

Crabbe is getting paid too much but when was the last time a team regretted keeping an RFA?

Turner is a bad player and not what the Blazers need, but he still probably would've gotten $60m/4 if the Blazers didn't offer him $70m/4

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Crabbe is getting paid too much but when was the last time a team regretted keeping an RFA?

Pels with Eric Gordon.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
As my dad always said growing up "Lakers.......L-l-l-lakers!"

we're back boys

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Kibner posted:

Pels with Eric Gordon.

Brooklyn with Gerald Wallace

Halfling Wizard Bear
Oct 12, 2003

I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.

Shear Modulus posted:

Teams in the West that Andre "NBA Machiavelli" Iguodala has crippled in the past three years:

- Denver
- OKC
- Portland

GSW is going to be his greatest triumph

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Kibner posted:

Pels with Eric Gordon.

True, but if he had been healthy they would've been happy.

Tae posted:

Brooklyn with Gerald Wallace

He wasn't an RFA.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Pro click from reddit - father and son NBA duos

https://imgur.com/a/qLAIC

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

This is Zach Lowe's typical argument. He made the same argument regarding JaVale McGee and praised the Nuggets for spinning off Nene for a young asset which they locked up.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I've been meaning to post the video that cavs play before homegames this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMGm57uGAfs

it's very good

e: actually thats from the season opener, they've been editing clips in and out but the steph elbow has been consistent

AggressivelyStupid fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 24, 2016

Halfling Wizard Bear
Oct 12, 2003

I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.

WhyteRyce posted:

This is Zach Lowe's typical argument. He made the same argument regarding JaVale McGee and praised the Nuggets for spinning off Nene for a young asset which they locked up.

Also, reminder that Anthony Randolph and JaVale Mcgee were on the same team

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

It's a pretty reasonable argument though. I remember people complaining about Hayward, Batum, Kanter and others but all of those worked out pretty well.

Javale is probably the most recent example of a team re-signing a player after his rookie deal ends and regretting it. Tho Javale signed an extension, but that's pretty close to the same thing.

I would go as far to say that teams rarely regret extending players coming off their rookie deals.

Though Portland could always be the exception. They were in a tough spot with Crabbe because they were capped out and the Nets offered a ton of money because they are in desperate need of young talent.

Hashtag Banterzone fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 24, 2016

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

It's a pretty reasonable argument though. I remember people complaining about Hayward, Batum, Kanter and others but all of those worked out pretty well.

Javale is probably the most recent example of a team re-signing a player after his rookie deal ends and regretting it. Tho Javale signed an extension, but that's pretty close to the same thing.

I would go as far to say that teams rarely regret extending players coming off their rookie deals.

Though Portland could always be the exception. They were in a tough spot with Crabbe because they were capped out and the Nets offered a ton of money because they are in desperate need of young talent.

Oh I agree with the logic, it's just one of those "8/10 times it works great but man those 2 times it didn't are really bad looking" things

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

leftist heap posted:

ET's eyes are far apart, almost on the sides of his head, like a prey animal, which is why he will never be good at basketball. He lacks the predator instinct that you need in the game of basketball. You'd think a larger peripheral vision would make him a better defender, but his prey instincts also make him flighty and anxious.

This is a phenomenal post

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I heard Corey Brewer has pictures of Morey, D'Antoni and Alexander sodomizing eachother at the Bohemian Grove. That's why he still gets playing time.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Pro click from reddit - father and son NBA duos

https://imgur.com/a/qLAIC
That's a large son

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
:frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren: https://twitter.com/RyanRosenblatt/status/801546777845329920

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Fast Luck posted:

That's a large son

Ladies come collect ya mans

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

I don't know if a shirt optional elementary school is a good idea

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

Dejan Bimble posted:

the Zach Lowe's half croat son will grow up stabbing switchblade knives into mini basketballs thread

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Dirk did PPAP on the Mavericks jumbotron lmao

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

We now live in a world where Kevin Love has scored 34 points in one quarter in an NBA game.

RIP in peace Gendo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Kinda lame they didn't just keep feeding Love the ball so he could try to break Curry's 3pt record

• Locked thread