Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Been prep cooking. Gonna start a novel on this thread.

Hollismason closed his laptop screen. The cities scheduled brown out for non citizen use of electronic devices was a few minutes away and he still wanted to microwave some noodles.

Hear now the gibbering of souls untethered. Through the blind circuits of the world came ten thousand ill tidings that spilled out black mirrors as fungoid light, staining the people's jowls mushroom-pale. These people who woke before dawn and dragged their aching bones to labor as though this flesh were tethered by the unwilling spirit, dragged along as it attempted to escape its captivity. They would lurch through a gravebog of bad news and return home and fall asleep and repeat until their footsteps ceased for once and all, but in the intervals between these repetitions would come bursts of idle optimism, little more candle-sparks in the night. As all things sank into dismal twilight there still remained men and women who pulled up the covers and hoped that at least tomorrow would be kind. So it went for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Avshalom posted:

please raise your hand if you have not written or are not writing a book

hello

i think if i ever do write something it would be some sort of sci fi with as little indications of sexual creepiness as possible

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

Badger of Basra posted:

not the federal government, that's for scrubs and fascists now

ah state or local government eh? i live in texas.......

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Swan Oat posted:

is this a thing ?

https://dadchatslack.herokuapp.com/

hop to it!!!!!

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

Badger of Basra posted:

my pension owns

My girlfriend has a pension I'm very jealous of it

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Swan Oat posted:

ah state or local government eh? i live in texas.......

don't work for the texas state government unless you're desperate, no one i know actually enjoys working for the state. they view it as just a job, which they don't get paid enough for. you probably wouldn't have overtime though

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Chelb posted:

hello

i think if i ever do write something it would be some sort of sci fi with as little indications of sexual creepiness as possible

blasphemy

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

i just finished Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky and while the author did present a hyperintelligent race of spiders that start off with the typical spider thing of females eating the males after loving, i found that less creepy and more hella rad

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

why don't you read some nonfiction, nerds

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

a very good book by the way

i highly recommend it

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Chelb posted:

i just finished Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky and while the author did present a hyperintelligent race of spiders that start off with the typical spider thing of females eating the males after loving, i found that less creepy and more hella rad

have you read the short "love is the plan the plan is death"

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

I'm

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Badger of Basra posted:

i just finished 1491, which was interesting, but i think i've been spoiled by reading more recent stuff that's built off of it's thesis, so it wasn't as interesting or provocative as i was hoping

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

i started some frantz fanon but it's sort of slow going, and i'm also having some fun with this

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Grouchio posted:

How is she bad, compared to the rest of Trump's cabinet?

https://twitter.com/JeffSharlet/status/801569615386148864

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

have you read the short "love is the plan the plan is death"

i have not

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

seeing a picture of ken bone makes me furious

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

y'all might find this hard to believe, but freud's religious ideas were as pants on head nuts as most of his others

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Chelb posted:

y'all might find this hard to believe, but freud's religious ideas were as pants on head nuts as most of his others

go on

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Badger of Basra posted:

i'm reading simon sebag montefiore's The Romanovs: 1613-1918 and i am baffled that they managed to remain in power, and indeed that russia managed to still exist.

also jesus, a lot of those romanovs sure were psychotic

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Badger of Basra posted:

seeing a picture of ken bone makes me furious

yell at jag

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Chelb posted:

i have not

look it up, it's public domain and a fun quick read

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

i'm not an expert but i'll do my best

In human history's distant past, we lived like apes and as such had a father figure who took many mates. In a jealous rage over his sexual power over the mates, his children murdered him and took the women (our mothers) for ourselves

Religion is ultimately a reaction against this horrific act; freud draws comparisons between the (at the time) recent knowledge of australian aboriginals eating their totem animal in occasions of great solemnity, and the Eucharist

In his earlier works Freud presents this reaction as one of profoundly mixed emotional content, with echoes of both our collective horror and terror in our prehistoric act and relative positivity in the comfort God as a father figure provides. ultimately he classifies it as a sort of universal neurosis, to be treated through psychoanalysis like any other

Note that Freud was extremely eurocentric and only ever phrased these concepts through judeochristian terms

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
you ever think that maybe freud hosed his mother and then assumed that was something everyone did?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
didn't freud decide that all the women who talked in confidence about men raping and abusing them mean that women were just jealous they didn't have dicks?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

you ever think that maybe freud hosed his mother and then assumed that was something everyone did?

no, never really thought that

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Late in his life and career, Freud posited that Moses was originally a renegade priest of the Egyptian Sun God Aten, who preached basically all the nice happy parts of Judaism. His followers eventually murdered him (in that oedipal parallel freud loves the gently caress out of) and reverted to savage and violent Yahweh worship. Over time many of what Judaism now considers to be its great prophets, like Isaiah, led a search to rediscover Moses and judaism shifted back to Moses' original belief system

thus freud's theory conveniently illustrates both his principle of oedipal complexes and his stages of psychosexual development; judaism represses its memory of moses in a sort of "latent" stage, but to freud the neurosis was simply buried in the subconscious and eventually had to be let out

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

projection much

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

needless to say historians and religious scholars find a lot of problems with freud's theories

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt3tsdUGZmU

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

there's a lot of things you can say about freud being a product of his highly misogynistic time, one with an educated class obsessed with greco-roman culture and determined (somewhat 'subconsciously', ha ha) to find connections to it

which is true, but also he was a loving crazy weirdo

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/GLOCKInc/status/798903478877847553

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

speaking of freud...

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
freud recommended psychotherapy to uncover the buried psychic demons attached to our flesh. these demons could have been from past lives. freud finally realized this in their next spirit form, the amazing brawling scholar-sailor, l ron hubbard.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Carl Jung was also real weird but it's a much cooler sort of weird

this is his 'red book', which compiled his own visions and was only released last decade

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

I'm definitely fine with losing five years that would likely be spent in a dementia fog anyways

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

one last thing

dawn richard released a new album and oh my god guys its so good you gotta listen to it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig51nT5q7iU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASIwDQo5oko
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6IFyklXkuA

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

the paradigm shift posted:

I'm definitely fine with losing five years that would likely be spent in a dementia fog anyways

i'm just keeping my fingers cross they find a cure for old age

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
my novel is about all the different things you can have sex with if you're determined and pious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Avshalom posted:

my novel is about all the different things you can have sex with if you're determined and pious

there's a lot of medieval poetry by nuns in the same vein

• Locked thread