Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Blaziken386 posted:

I now have the best socks.
Kinda wish they included striped ones too, but oh well.

I just skimmed the last few pages and didn't see anyone respond, but there are striped over-the-knee in the Heahea store, at least in Moon version.

e; also the the best name for mimikyu is clearly pikaWOOoooOOO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Endgame spoiler chat:

They were obviously trying to go for a bit of "how are you any different?" but they didn't (and probably couldn't) go fully with it. I mean, the slogan of the entire series is "Gotta catch 'em all" so it would be a bit against their own intentions to chastise players for filling their boxes and collecting Pokémon. Wasn't there also an NPC in one of the Pokécentres who questioned what it's like inside a Pokéball/PC Box? I already feel bad for all the Pokémon I can't take with me (I'm so sorry Nebby :qq:) and it would be a jerk move for the game to rub it in.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Is there a consensus best starter this go around? I've previously gone:

Charmander
Totodile
Mudkip
Chimchar
Snivy
Froakie

I guess I'm really due a grass one but grass normally sucks balls compared to the others

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Charmander
Totodile
Mudkip
Chimchar
Snivy
Froakie

I guess I'm really due a grass one but grass normally sucks balls compared to the others

I like the grass one in this. He's a cool dude with ghost typing.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

the slogan hasn't been "gotta catch 'em all" for ages and all my pokemon are happy and relaxed hanging out in the poképelago Thank You Very Much :colbert:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Your Computer posted:

Endgame spoiler chat:

They were obviously trying to go for a bit of "how are you any different?" but they didn't (and probably couldn't) go fully with it. I mean, the slogan of the entire series is "Gotta catch 'em all" so it would be a bit against their own intentions to chastise players for filling their boxes and collecting Pokémon. Wasn't there also an NPC in one of the Pokécentres who questioned what it's like inside a Pokéball/PC Box? I already feel bad for all the Pokémon I can't take with me (I'm so sorry Nebby :qq:) and it would be a jerk move for the game to rub it in.

Which is why I think Pokepelago is a big thing now since it tells you your boxed pokemon are basically hanging out eating berries or having cave adventures or lazily farming or training or getting island strange all day long

What's Nebby's nickname in japanese anyway

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Your Computer posted:

Endgame spoiler chat:

All my Pokemon hang out in tropical islands going on adventures and visiting hotsprings, so I was unaffected.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Charmander
Totodile
Mudkip
Chimchar
Snivy
Froakie

Choose the one you like the most. They're all cool and will be good friends.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

On the subject of that last fight;

I really wanna know why they had Lusamine turn into a weird jelly monster if all she was gonna do was chuck pokeballs. Unless her killing the framerate was supposed to be part of the challenge.

Yeah I was really hoping for some Earthbound style hosed up boss battle at the end there. At least her Pokémon had angry eyebrows to show how :evilbuddy: they are.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

In a way Hau feels like he's more of a rival to Gladion than the player is. They have some pretty funny interactions together too.

Though in general with the game having a pretty big cast of fun characters they all bounce off each other better than they do the protagonist. Since they're an un-emotive mute with the same creepy smile in every scene they're in.

The cast is so good in this one (I'd say leagues ahead of previous Pokémon games), so it's a shame they didn't make the player more emotive. Once I had access to the large glasses (the ones that hide your eyes) I put them on and never looked back; it makes it look like my character has no idea what's going on at all times and makes for a bunch of great cutscenes.

e: wow I hadn't even considered the Poké Pelago. That's a good point and now I feel better :3:

I wonder if they regret making the box system.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

I hope the next game is a BW2 style sequel with Hau as the reigning champion. Hau is a cool chill kid and people who don't like him are jerks imo.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Charmander
Totodile
Mudkip
Chimchar
Snivy
Froakie

I suspect popular opinion will end up with Popplio/Primarina but I'm an Incineroar fan all the way. Every time I use Darkest Lariat I hear a Japanese wrestling announcer screaming it in my head and it owns.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
35-ish hours in and I still haven't met Guzma. I've just been spending most of my time grinding for festival coins, catching Miniors, and petting a Mimikyu that I got through wonder trade

edit: it was level 1 with Splash and an adamant nature, so I've just been giving it dark-type attacks in addition to keeping Splash for the insane Z-splash effect

spit on my clit fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 24, 2016

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Calaveron posted:

What's Nebby's nickname in japanese anyway

iirc it's Hoshigumo-chan which means, like, nebula (ie, "nebby" in the translation). kind of a mouthful though imo!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

someone awful. posted:

the slogan hasn't been "gotta catch 'em all" for ages and all my pokemon are happy and relaxed hanging out in the poképelago Thank You Very Much :colbert:

I'm pretty sure they started using it again.

Besides, it's far easier to fill out the dex with online trading, and the developers ensuring that you could catch every Pokemon (aside from the events) throughout the entirety of Gen VI.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

I can finally return to the thread after taking a while to beat the game.

The Catching methods for some mons this time around suck (my only real gripe with the game) so I'm happily making GBS threads out a million Eevee eggs and trading them for anything I want.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I like how Dugtrio will summon help and then immediately magnitude it. It better not do that when I finally find a HA gabite

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

lmao fire trial. Dance Dance look at that hiker

My friend Howling Wolf made short work of most of that trial

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Regarding the boss fight, I'm just glad Lusamime had an evil Clefable on her team. The Jigglypuff/Clefairy rivalry is a tale as old as Pokemon and using my 'Tuff to wipe the floor with that punk felt great.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012
Ok I posted this before but Sand Tomb is acting really weird for me. Is it no longer guaranteed any turns of dmg after the initial hit? Just did a fight with a chargabug- Sand tomb did its initial hit but at the end of the turn, no more dmg was dealt.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

cheetah7071 posted:

I like how Dugtrio will summon help and then immediately magnitude it. It better not do that when I finally find a HA gabite

You always have a chance to knock out the calling Pokemon before they do that, assuming your Pokemon is faster.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

EclecticTastes posted:

You always have a chance to knock out the calling Pokemon before they do that, assuming your Pokemon is faster.

I won't know it has the HA until I attack it (with false swipe)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Charmander
Totodile
Mudkip
Chimchar
Snivy
Froakie

All three are really strong and have good coverage this time, pick whatever you want.

extra row of teeth posted:

I can finally return to the thread after taking a while to beat the game.

The Catching methods for some mons this time around suck (my only real gripe with the game) so I'm happily making GBS threads out a million Eevee eggs and trading them for anything I want.
Same, except with the call for help mechanic. I don't give a poo poo that it's an 'easy' way to get HAs or shinies, it just makes catching a thing take five times longer than it needs to.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man these Ride Pokemon unions must be pretty strong if I have to wait until that girl ¨lends¨me her mudsdale to cross rocks despite me already having a super strong super good mudsdale of my own

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
what are the Coolest pokemon to make my team out of in the main game. I have a rowlett and a litwick and a magnemite so far

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Mazerunner posted:

I just skimmed the last few pages and didn't see anyone respond, but there are striped over-the-knee in the Heahea store, at least in Moon version.

e; also the the best name for mimikyu is clearly pikaWOOoooOOO
In the Sun version of that store, the only socks were floral print, and a really ugly floral print, too. Reminded me of an armchair that a grandmother would have.
Also, I named mine Mimikyutie.

Hustlin Floh posted:

Regarding the boss fight, I'm just glad Lusamime had an evil Clefable on her team.
I hated that thing because not only did it keep buffing itself with Cosmic Power, it also kept using Moonlight and healing itself back to near-full. Both it and the Milotic were pains to fight. I didn't have a strong check to either water or fairy, so the only way to beat them was to wait until they ran out of PP for their self-healing move.

Note: I know it's usually hypocritical for players to complain about the AI healing itself, but I usually try to play by Gym Leader rules - no revives, no using more than one or two healing items.

Farg posted:

what are the Coolest pokemon to make my team out of in the main game. I have a rowlett and a litwick and a magnemite so far
When you get to the point you can use lapras, (right before the second trial) go run around and find a Dewpider in that area. Dewpider and Araquanid are super cool looking and also a lot better than their stats would suggest. (Especially because you find the scald tm in the same area, and it's ability doubles the power of all water moves.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Farg posted:

Litwick is a personal favorite so you're already doing good. Seconding Dewpider, and also recommending the downloadable Munchlax. He's super helpful and a great friend.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Farg posted:

Mareanie/Toxapex is a cool mon for cool people
Salazzle is also cool
The gift Snorlax if you never want to worry about prices for anything ever again

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Woah woah woah, hold on. Today's episode of Generations is loving awesome. The animation is crazy good this week.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

In the Sun version of that store, the only socks were floral print, and a really ugly floral print, too. Reminded me of an armchair that a grandmother would have.

looks like we figured out the superior version :smug: :tutbutt:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
oh gently caress me, why is this Barboach impossible to find

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Anybody know the best way to find Metal Coats this gen? I can't seem to find Magnemites with items and I figured Skarmory, but the internet sez Skarmory spawns on Route 10 and 17 and I can't find any.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

wizard on a water slide posted:

Anybody know the best way to find Metal Coats this gen? I can't seem to find Magnemites with items and I figured Skarmory, but the internet sez Skarmory spawns on Route 10 and 17 and I can't find any.

go near the big shaking trees, not in the grass

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

wizard on a water slide posted:

They dive bomb you from trees.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I'm looking at how to evolve Pichu. How to I check what it's friendship points are at?

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Wow, really disappointed in Olivia's kahuna team. Nosepass, Boldore and the lesser Lycanroc? Girl no wonder you're single.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Attempted SOS chaining to get a hidden ability. One battle lasted for more than 30 of those fuckers and there has been no sign of it. They really want to make this poo poo hard.

Mimikyu namechat:

Pykachu

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

BigRed0427 posted:

I'm looking at how to evolve Pichu. How to I check what it's friendship points are at?

You can get an approximation at I think the last city on the second island, but it really doesn't matter. I pretty much just raised my pichu with exp share and it evolved before lvl 20

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Blaziken386 posted:

I hated that thing because not only did it keep buffing itself with Cosmic Power, it also kept using Moonlight and healing itself back to near-full. Both it and the Milotic were pains to fight. I didn't have a strong check to either water or fairy, so the only way to beat them was to wait until they ran out of PP for their self-healing move.

I actually did something I never do for that fight. I used two X-Special Attacks on my Vikavolt with Flash Cannon. I used like 4 charges of Flash Cannon getting that drat thing to 30% and then it healed itself almost to full, so I said gently caress it. Of course, after that point, good ol' Gradibuzz one-shot everything else that particular boss had between Flash Cannon and Thunderbolt.

On another note, I still need to find Bug Buzz or some other Bug type special move TM. X-Scissor doesn't work so well on Vikavolt.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Oh goddamn, this dumb Miltank wasn't calling for help for like ten turns and then my Mudbray decides it wants to crit with BOTH Double Kick hits, knocking it out.

I'll just get a Tauros later, sheesh.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Crosspeice posted:

Oh goddamn, this dumb Miltank wasn't calling for help for like ten turns and then my Mudbray decides it wants to crit with BOTH Double Kick hits, knocking it out.

I'll just get a Tauros later, sheesh.

Enjoy running into hundreds of lillipups first only to crit the Taurus to death on your first move :argh:

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

someone awful. posted:

They changed it. It's Train On now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Mimikyu name chat : box fodder