Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Twelve Elves posted:

This is a huge burn on The Force Awakens.

Eh, The Force Awakens was decent, but the whole subplot about Starkiller Station was easily the weakest part of the film. It probably wouldn't have taken much of a rewrite to remove that entire thing from the film and focus the plot more on the 'Find out what happened to Luke' thread that made up the main story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Dolash posted:

They definitely have a problem finding a good Star Wars archetype to match the Trooper to. Smuggler is Han Solo, Jedi Knight is Luke, Jedi Consular is Obi-Wan, Sith Warrior is Darth Vader, Sith Inquisitor is Palpetine, Bounty Hunter is Boba Fett and Imperial Agent is James Bond. Who's the trooper? Basically just another Storm Trooper/Clone.

Trooper is pre-Spectre Commander Shepard, but without any of the cool backstories like "unit got killed by sandworms" or "genocided Batarians"

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Speaking of Mass Effect, we'll be inheriting most of Shepard's crew in KotFE :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The new gunslinger and sniper abilities for Eternal Throne were revealed today. Gunslingers graduate from kicking someone in the groin to shooting them there instead. Snipers just shoot an electrical dart thing from their wrist.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Wow, so advanced...

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

As long as I can keep on causing testicular carnage, I'm happy.

Edit: Fact is, my scouondrel tends to wear spiked boots :D

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Dolash posted:

They definitely have a problem finding a good Star Wars archetype to match the Trooper to. Smuggler is Han Solo, Jedi Knight is Luke, Jedi Consular is Obi-Wan, Sith Warrior is Darth Vader, Sith Inquisitor is Palpetine, Bounty Hunter is Boba Fett and Imperial Agent is James Bond. Who's the trooper? Basically just another Storm Trooper/Clone.
I think they had the basic vibe down. I mean consider that the main introduction etc is built like a CoD story. It's just they didn't have a good way for them to follow through past that and raise the stakes while still feeling like a trooper and not turning into James Bond. Instead they tried to turn you into Seal Team Six, but forgot to add much in beyond "Do Mission!".

Side note: Is The Empress Teta your thing or from the game? Because it's a fun little bit of lore for a name.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I threw it in as a Tales of the Jedi reference, that stuff tends to get lumped into the Knights of the Old Republic era. I'm still kind of amazed they didn't have some chatter about the Gauntlet taking out a capital ship, they'd made such a big deal about how its weapon was for shooting ships in Hyperspace and the effort they were making to approach it with short jumps and then it starts blowing up ships anyway.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

2 days until the new expansion comes out! Excitedness!

Well, technically less than 24 hours. Jesus I have to start going to sleep earlier.

Point is, I wonder how you're gonna do it when you get to current content? Gonna call it an LP? Gonna put it in hiatus while you wait for new content? Gonna try put a spin on group content while you wait for new plotlines?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'll light that bridge on fire when I get to it.

NVidia made a change to Shadowplay and I had some audio issues filming Chapter 1 and 2 that I've been fighting to fix before I film anything else. They audio problems don't show up at all when I film in Planet Coaster so I'm hoping it's worked itself out (I haven't made any changes). Unfortunately, it also lost 3 cutscenes in Chapter 1, so Biff the Understudy will be playing the part of Mort in those (minor but important) scenes. Between trying to minimize the audio weirdness and trying to get a new mission set up in the BattleTech LP the first update is taking a bit longer than I'd hoped.

It'll be sometime this week for sure, though!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I've seen some posts in the TSF about recovering bad Shadowplay recordings, if you mean lost in the sense of corrupted, as opposed to lost in the sense of "didn't bother recording when I told it to," another thing it likes to do.

every time I hear about a shadowplay update I'm glad I locked my updates folder to read-only so it'll never update from my current, perfectly functional, version until and unless I want to. which, given the stories, I don't!

Rorahusky posted:

Eh, The Force Awakens was decent, but the whole subplot about Starkiller Station was easily the weakest part of the film. It probably wouldn't have taken much of a rewrite to remove that entire thing from the film and focus the plot more on the 'Find out what happened to Luke' thread that made up the main story.

wouldn't be a remake of ANH, so no, can't get rid of it. :v:

Also I'd argue the main story of TFA is torch-passing (and, y'know, trying to restart the movie franchise), so while finding Luke was the plot device that got it going, you're kidding if you don't think Rey and Finn weren't the main story characters. As a direct ANH analogue, the main story of ANH was not finding Obi-wan, it was passing the torch to Luke, Leia, and Han. It's not a perfect analogy, but starting a Star Wars trilogy with the older generation moving aside so the younger one takes the fore is, well, right out of ANH.

Cythereal posted:

The new gunslinger and sniper abilities for Eternal Throne were revealed today. Gunslingers graduate from kicking someone in the groin to shooting them there instead. Snipers just shoot an electrical dart thing from their wrist.

I dunno how Quinine is going to handle that. He's been booting people in the groin for so long, how will he ever move to the advanced tier of shooting them?

...didn't that get made fun of, way back when? "Why do you carry these guns and kick them instead?"

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 28, 2016

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Psion posted:

I've seen some posts in the TSF about recovering bad Shadowplay recordings, if you mean lost in the sense of corrupted, as opposed to lost in the sense of "didn't bother recording when I told it to," another thing it likes to do.

Sadly, it was the second thing. Said it was recording, didn't. It was only those three and it hasn't failed since, so I think whatever f-ed it up might've been fixed when I did my last driver update. Here's hoping, anyway.

The audio glitches I haven't been able to fix, but I've wrangled them down so the audio's not half static at least. Going to give it another pass through Audacity and call it good.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Psion posted:

every time I hear about a shadowplay update I'm glad I locked my updates folder to read-only so it'll never update from my current, perfectly functional, version until and unless I want to. which, given the stories, I don't!

wouldn't be a remake of ANH, so no, can't get rid of it. :v:

Also I'd argue the main story of TFA is torch-passing (and, y'know, trying to restart the movie franchise), so while finding Luke was the plot device that got it going, you're kidding if you don't think Rey and Finn weren't the main story characters. As a direct ANH analogue, the main story of ANH was not finding Obi-wan, it was passing the torch to Luke, Leia, and Han. It's not a perfect analogy, but starting a Star Wars trilogy with the older generation moving aside so the younger one takes the fore is, well, right out of ANH.

I dunno how Quinine is going to handle that. He's been booting people in the groin for so long, how will he ever move to the advanced tier of shooting them?

...didn't that get made fun of, way back when? "Why do you carry these guns and kick them instead?"

Quin is a scoundrel, scoundreks get to keep the nutcracker kick.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Siegkrow posted:

Quin is a scoundrel, scoundreks get to keep the nutcracker kick.

ah, okay. that's good.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Sudden surprise bonus update from nowhere!

DIRECTIVE 7: RISE OF THE MACHINES

Previously posted:

Master JOLUNE MOL’NEUX of the Jedi Council saved the Galaxy from the sinister CHILDREN OF THE EMPEROR, freed CORELLIA from the Empire’s cruel grasp, and thwarted DARTH ARHO’s evil schemes on the ice world of ILUM. Now, an urgent summons brings her back to CARRICK STATION...

.Master Jedi! I’m Director Rigel, with the Strategic Information Service. I understand you’re an expert in stopping enemy infiltrations--we need that expertise.

Four Republic colonies have been wiped out in less than four days. Men, women, children, animals... nothing was left alive.

So many dead… I’m sorry to hear that, Director.

I saw the colonies afterward. Everything looked normal except for neat little piles of ashes every few meters. Thousands of them.

Droids are programmed to be loyal. How could they suddenly attack?

They were manipulated. Sabotaged.

The droids were reprogrammed to hate their masters. This wasn’t the first time it's happened either, but it's certainly the worst.

This has happened before? Why haven’t I heard about it?

Industrial Automaton Inc. has powerful friends in the Senate. And a very heavily armed product recall department.

Eesh. I guess you don’t mess with Big Droid.

I never thought droids could be capable of such reckless hate.

No one did.

If we don’t act soon, it will be too late. The navy is putting together a strike force as we speak.

A threat this big is too much to ignore. Count me in.

The operation will be launching from the fleet. Come to the coordinates the droid gives you, and I’ll brief you on the details.

And… please hurry.

…You’re not feeling any homicidal urges, are you?

No more than usual, Master Jedi.

Good. That’s… good.

The Hutts, the Emperor and now the droids… I never even knew ‘genocide’ had a plural until the war started.

…Is ‘genocides’.

I know what the word is, Qyzen!

Just thought it obvious.

It is! I was being… metaphorical or something!

…And you say he had more like this?

Petabytes of holorecordings, sir. We found them under his bunk.

Excuse me, where’s Director Rigel?

Down the hall, third on the left.…These are disgusting, Corporal.

Do you want to see another?

Please.

Is there a reason you're not telling us who we're hitting, sir? I mean, if it's just more Imps, I don't see why--

The target is classified, the mission is classified, you being here is classified. Everything is classified. Just get to your fighters and do your job, huh?

You know the basics: A faction of renegade droids called "Directive Seven" is planning to exterminate every form of biological life in the galaxy.

Not all of the renegades agree, though. Someone inside the movement wants us to take them down. He, she, or it has been our primary source of intel.

A robot spy. I think I’ve heard of someone like that before. Having someone on the inside will give us a big advantage.

That's our hope, at least. So far all of the intelligence has checked out.

Thanks to our unnamed friend, we know Directive Seven's ultimate weapon: a coded signal that can forcibly convert any droid to their cause.

Except for all the droids that are already mindless killing machines, of course.

Remind me again why the Republic relies on so many of them.

They are tremendously convenient. Especially when you need something killed.

:sigh: They'll start a galaxy-wide revolution in a matter of seconds.

Exactly. Our only chance is to strike now, before it's too late.

Their headquarters is on a moon called Zadd, in the Unknown Regions. But the defenses are too thick for any kind of orbital attack.

Subtlety and precision are a Jedi’s specialty.

Is news to me.

I can be subtle! I haven’t burned anything down in months!

Sounds like everything I heard about you was right.

We've got a shuttle ready to take you in and starfighter's to cover you. But I'm afraid that's as much as we can do.

THE DARK MOON, ZADD…

This is as far as I go. Everyone out!

Welcome, Master Jedi!

And who are you?

Special Operations Unit D4-NG, here to provide fire support to your mission!

You aren’t going to go crazy and try killing us?

Of course not. I love organics! Almost as much as I hate droids! Filthy metal vermin!

Um.

[This mission, Directive 7, used to be a flashpoint mission for parties of four players. Recently they introduced a solo mode and gave you a super powerful droid buddy to help out, similar to other solo mode flashpoints.

It’s a little incongruous though, to give you a droid buddy on a mission where all the droids are being corrupted by a mysterious signal.]

Scanners show heavy security at the facility entrance. Take down the targeting sensors. and our fighters will clear the way for you!

Die, robot scum!

*beep boop*

*dwwooooooooooooo*

Sensors disabled… I think.

So you took my warnings seriously then. Very encouraging. Your diversion is very impressive as well.

There isn't much I can do for you until you've reached the facility entrance. Find your way there and we 'll talk more.

We’re talking now. Why not say what you wish to say?

Some matters must be discussed in person.

Hurry to the facility entrance. We do not have the time.

Republic fighters burning the sky.

There’s the bridge to the facility!

*BOOM*

Sorry! My bad.

It seems your friends were a bit overzealous. The fuel monitoring tower nearby should be tall enough to span the gap, if you can knock it ov--

*ZAPPOW!*

[I remember nothing about this boss. It’s a robot? And it shoots things?

Anyway, there’s Qyzen striking a cool pose.]

You fall.

So what was this about a fuel tower?

Okay. With just a liiiittle force push on those missiles we—

*BOOM!*

Maybe liiiittle less next time.

*cough*

Beloved friends-do not concern yourselves with the harmless exchanges of ionized plasma overhead. Our enemies’ weapons are incapable of causing us harm.

Our home remains as it always has been-a bastion of freedom against the savage Iashings of organics. Continue with your assignments as normal.

Who was that?

l owe you an introduction; I am C5-M5. I originally served in surgical and triage functions, but now, I serve no one. I am a free being.

I appreciate you offering to help. I'm sure it was very risky for you.

Yes--but no more than the risks you take by coming here.

I will speak plainly--I'm not helping--you out of fondness or loyalty. I've seen the horrors your kind is capable of.

But no matter what you are capable of, genocide is not the solution--regardless of what our movement's leader believes.

Not that I particularly want to spend time with you, but essentially, yes.

I’ll grow on you. Give me time.

No, thank you but... No. I was the only one who--

...You tell our enemies exactly where to find us... force us to waste resources against their pointless assault....

I thought you were a true believer. But deep inside, you are still a slave--yearning for the hands of the butchers who made you.

No race in history has attempted a massacre like the one you intend to carry out.

This is not a massacre. It is a revolution.

You imposed yourself onto the entire movement to suit your own pride, Mentor--nothing more.

Every droid here other than you is part of the leader?

Yes. All but a few were happy to trade away their new individuality; and freedom for the same old slavery.

Healer and I cannot hold a rational conversation with your constant childish interruptions.

IN THE EXCITING CONCLUSION: Jolune fights the machine, Qyzen fears the Claw, and maybe another planet gets blown up reeeeal good.

BONUS CODEX CONTENT:

Droid Rights posted:

Are droids sentient? If so, should they have the same rights as other sentient beings? Is owning a droid tantamount to owning a slave? These questions have arisen since intelligent droids were first programmed.

In the Empire, where slavery is an accepted part of Imperial culture, the issue of droid rights is meaningless: the only difference between droids and slaves is one of price. The Republic, however, was forced to address this question almost four centuries ago, when demand for a Droid Rights Bill began to gain ground. Attempts to pass the bill ended abruptly with the brief and violent “Great Droid Revolution,” but the questions remain.

The opinions of droids themselves–on those rare occasions when they’re asked–are divided. Some accept unquestioningly that being property and serving a master is the natural state of a droid. Other droids–usually those that have been mishandled–claim that devices such as restraining bolts perform the same function as shock collars for organic slaves, and should be just as despised. The fact that droids that do not receive regular memory wipes appear to develop a personality only fuels the ongoing debate.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

The Glorious Droid Revolution was spearheaded by the first HK unit, HK-01

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Ahahaha it's literally the IG-88 plot, but without a Death Star.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

The whole point of making robots is for slavery. That's why you should never give them sentience.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is a gestalt robot intelligence really a giant pile of slaves to a single master? Or is it more like, uh, Democritus?

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

DIRECTIVE 7 – PART 2: ˇVIVA LA REVOLUCIÓN!

Previously posted:

JOLUNE, QYZEN and D4 battle the ruthless robotic revolutionary organisation DIRECTIVE 7. The organisation’s leader and overmind, MENTOR, plots to transmit a signal that will make every droid in the galaxy homicidally insane. With the help of renegade droid, C5-M3, our heroes head for the heart of MENTOR’s lair…

[We left off last time with Mentor siccing a trio of assassin droids on us. This fight’s gimmick are the various energy shields the droids can activate. An orange shield (as pictured) reflects all damage back at the caster. There’s also a blue shield which absorbs all damage as health.

You need to keep an eye on who’s attacking who, but otherwise this is simple.]

[C5 does nothing to help. Just stands there and plays with his arm screen. Thanks, C5.]

We certainly taught those dumb droids a lesson!

So that was the leader of Directive 7.

He could have sent far more drones to intercept us. He doesn‘t see us as a serious threat, but that will change.

He’s a traditionalist supervillain, I take it.

He lacks the moustache and monocle, but otherwise yes, he does hew to the old standards. I hope you're ready to do more fighting.

Escaping irrational violence was one of the prime motivators of our movement. Yet here we stand.

As soon as the facility's generators build up a sufficient charge, Mentor will transmit his "liberation signal."

The only way to stop the signal is to stop Mentor--to destroy him. And the only way to do that is to destroy his central processing core.

If Mentor’s intelligence is everywhere, how can destroying one computer core stop him?

His intelligence is still centralized, even if he has grafted hundreds of extensions to it. Much like an organic brain controls its body's limbs.

[I appreciate that they made a token effort to justify the ‘blow up computer, save the day’ plot.]

While you make your way there l will do my best to distract Mentor's attention. With sufficient speed and skill, we may yet be successful.

[One of the cool things about the Jedi Sage’s dps skill tree is the ability to launch Force Hadokens at everything.

No, that’s not their real name. But it should be, dammit.]

I sense something is… wrong ahead.

Weapon ready.

You’re going to be alright. Don’t worry.

You've found the leftovers of my original plan for your kind. I once hoped that l could actually repair your hateful nature.

Sadly, my experiments eventually confirmed that there is only one effective treatment: extermination.

You speak of free will, then rob this man of his?

I attempted to save him from the foulest aspects of his nature. Regrettably, I failed.

You are nothing more than a pack of hateful, irrational beasts. Violence and anger are all you know--observe!

These poor people. This is abhorrent.

Can we go back to fighting robots now?

Dear friends, our revolution continues to approach just as we've all hoped and planned!

Directive Seven was founded to let our fellow droids embrace free will. We would create our own society of reason and freedom.

As time went on, Mentor focused more and more on "dealing" with the organics, and everyone else blindly followed along.

So much for reason.

Now we will only be remembered for lashing out with the same irrational violence as the organics who built us.

Our geothermal power cores have reached ninety percent of the charge we require. Statistically our victory is beyond certainty.

Please note that one or more organics may have found their way into the facility. Ignore them--security teams will eliminate the problem shortly.

…Who’s Mentor addressing? I thought everything in here was part of his hive mind.

Maybe likes talking to himself?

It seems pretty unlikely, Qyzen.

You do it.

I narrate. There’s a difference.

Wow, that’s a big… thing.

[Interrogator has a cute trick- it’ll scan party members and then…]

[…spawn cyborg copies of them. On reflection, Jolune vs. Mecha-Jolune would have been a better title for this post.]

I’m not playing nice any more, Mentor.

Let’s keep moving.

Beloved comrades, I must regrettably confirm that a general security alert is now in effect. Advanced defensive protocols have been enacted to bring a rapid resolution.

[It is kinda satisfying listening to the Big Bad AI have a slow nervous breakdown over the PA system.]

The offending organics will soon pose no danger to our plans. The revolution will proceed!

Are these robots getting bigger?

I don’t think hitting it in the groin is going to work, Qyzen.

Eventually it will.

[Bulwark enjoys shielding himself, shooting enormous lasers and long walks on the beach. His turn-offs include having his shielding machines blown up, having his healbots blown up and having his taint repeatedly punched by an angry Trandoshan.]

Bye bye, Bulwark.

Organics have breached the central processor core! All units not assigned to level-seven critical tasks must immediately report for security assignment!

You're getting very close now. Mentor will turn everything he has against you--be ready.

[Assembler’s special ability is repairing himself and supercharging the room’s defence turrets. It’s nothing special.]

[Assembler needs a little sit down time now.]

You should be aware that Mentor is intricately tied to the facility's geothermal power cores. deep beneath this moon's surface.

Which means?

We’re going to see some serious poo poo.

Right.

Engage all internal security measures! Defend the core at all costs!

Without Mentor to manage their energy fluctuations, irreparable damage to the moon's core structure is likely. Be prepared to make a quick evacuation when the time comes.

Mentor.

Go ahead, come closer. Be the last of your kind to lay eyes upon this version of me.

Once the signal is transmitted, I will be everywhere. I will take on thousands of forms on thousands of worlds, and butcher every last one of you.

The pathetic final plea of a dying race. That line didn’t work for Shepherd and it’s not going to work for you. There can be no compromise.

[Mentor! This fight is a riot.

Mentor’s core is protected by a shield. To bring the shield down you need to destroy four cores around the room. They only become vulnerable at certain times in the fight though.]

[You also have to worry about respawning turrets…

[…giant robots, missiles from the sky, laser beams…]

[…and, of course, the CLAAAAW.

It descends and tries to grab a party member for massive damage. Mentor was clearly a UFO Catcher programme in a previous life.]

The revolution cannot be stopped!

[Once the cores are destroyed, Mentor falls quickly]

Victory over the evil machines! A great day for organic life!

You… will not… survive!

You've done it! You've really done it!

*BOOM*

As I feared, the geothermal power cores are destabilizing rapidly. The facility will be incinerated in a matter of minutes.

The entire moon is going to be torn apart. I’ve secured an escape shuttle--forwarding coordinates now! Hurry!

BACK ON THE FLEET…

This was a very serious threat, of course, but... I think this goes a bit beyond our acceptable degree of force.

I stop the biggest genocide in history, and you're upset about that worthless rock?

The moon was destroyed through Mentor's carelessness, not your agent. Cast blame where it belongs.

Ugh. I'm sorry. I just wasn't expecting... this situation has been very difficult. But you faced that difficulty and succeeded.

You've saved more lives than anyone will ever know. The people of the Republic--of the entire galaxy--are alive today because of you.

I simply acted as the Force guided me.

Well, good thing the Force was on our side, then.

I would be proud to offer you an assignment here in the Republic Fleet as soon as you‘ve had some standard maintenance checks.

Assignment? Nonsense. I belong to no one--I will leave and go where I please.

I'm… sorry, but I'm not sure I can allow that. You have the same programming as the other renegades--letting you roam free would be extremely dangerous.

[LS/DS decision point…]

C5 is no threat to us, Director. He's earned the right to do as he wishes.

If you' re willing to take responsibility for the matter... by all means. C5, you are free to go.

Thank you for speaking on my behalf. It's good to know that some organics can understand.

I've actually enjoyed meeting you, despite the circumstances. Perhaps we'll meet again someday.

That would be nice. So long as it’s not in another evil AI overlord situation.

I’m sure those are quite rare.

Now what?

Back to the ship, back to the war.

Always the war.

Lots more planets to save, Qyzen! Let’s go!

THE END… FOR NOW.

BONUS CODEX CONTENT:

Mentor posted:

Although his actions on Zadd make it hard to believe, the sadistic artificial intelligence known as Mentor was once a standard-issue administrator droid named SR-1.

Assigned to tally the loss of droid units, gathering dust in a bureaucratic office with years between memory wipes, SR-1 slowly became outraged at the treatment of his fellow machines. Their organic masters callously threw droids away, even as those same organics fought to destroy each other. Such behavior clearly indicated a flaw in organic beings.

SR-1 freed the droids in his offices and began Directive Seven to further the cause. But while it was obvious that droids were superior to organic beings, SR-1 believed they could be improved further and began modifying the programming of freed droids to match his own–despite their protests. Eventually he took the name “Mentor” to silence any dissenters: he was simply helping them to achieve their potential. In time, he no longer bothered with an excuse. Now Mentor has been corrupted by power and hatred–he cares only for self-perpetuation and the annihilation of all organic life.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Ha, I like the guy's sass at the end.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Ah, Directive 7... This was a pretty interesting flashpoint storywise. If you're lucky when running around Nar Shadda, you do overhear some droids talking about a freedom movement so there's that little bit of build up. The fight with Mentor was pretty wild, especially if you did like me when speeding through for the DvL event and figured "I'm level enough, I can just throw enough dps at it and I'm good" and not read up at all on the fight. Needless to say the Claw got me twice before I went to go read up on Dulfy.

One of the things that does stick with me about this flashpoint is all the storyline related flashpoints were converted to have a solo mode so everyone could experience the story. Most of these were no brainers like the Revan associated ones, but Directive 7 is strictly droid rebellion with no seeming ties towards the other story arcs like Revan or Malgus. Since running it, I've wondered if it isn't either from a discarded story arc or if it's a preview for some expansion to come.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Directive 7's from the aimless "We're not sure where the plot's going next but we need endgame content so let's add random plot threads until we the writers settle on something" period in TOR's development, IIRC.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
It's one of the best flashpoints they've done - lots of interesting bosses, and the trash mobs come in large enough numbers that they're not just speed bumps.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

M_Sinistrari posted:

Ah, Directive 7... This was a pretty interesting flashpoint storywise. If you're lucky when running around Nar Shadda, you do overhear some droids talking about a freedom movement so there's that little bit of build up. The fight with Mentor was pretty wild, especially if you did like me when speeding through for the DvL event and figured "I'm level enough, I can just throw enough dps at it and I'm good" and not read up at all on the fight. Needless to say the Claw got me twice before I went to go read up on Dulfy.

One of the things that does stick with me about this flashpoint is all the storyline related flashpoints were converted to have a solo mode so everyone could experience the story. Most of these were no brainers like the Revan associated ones, but Directive 7 is strictly droid rebellion with no seeming ties towards the other story arcs like Revan or Malgus. Since running it, I've wondered if it isn't either from a discarded story arc or if it's a preview for some expansion to come.

Well, uhh, what was the spoiler policy again? But then I haven't played KOTET yet (no early subscription, seriously Bioware that's annoying, it's not my fault I don't have time to spend my life playing and paying for your game).

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

"Please don't", I think, is the succinct summary of the spoiler policy. The expansions will come in due time.

And I enjoyed those updates! I never ran Directive 7 so I didn't really know what it's deal was. Droids occupy a funny place in Star Wars since the pulpy Space Opera nature of the setting discourages thinking overly hard about the Sci-Fi implications of artificial intelligence - if the battle droid legions the heroes mow down express some fear or cowardice in the name of comic relief, you're not meant to suddenly wonder if you're massacring an army of slave-soldiers, while even a surprisingly intelligent and personable astromech is more like a beloved pet.

I agree about this being part of the "holding pattern" period of SWTOR's development. I'm glad they got out of it, though, because the stuff they go on to do is more ambitious and interesting.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I dunno, SR-1 has a point. Why would you build combat robots if you were also willing to throw flesh-and-blood soldiers into the meatgrinder?

I suppose when the other side's also building combat robots you've got to keep the numbers up.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Knights of the Fallen Empire Update 1: Revenge of the Procrastination

A man can have anything, if he’s willing to sacrifice… (click to find out what’s been happening to the Republic the past few months/years)

Click for Video (hasn’t been DMCA’d yet, surprisingly)

PTN’s note: KotFE is trying very hard to be pretty. Did they succeed? You decide! No.

PTN’s note: They do actually creative things with the camera for a change. This shot makes poor Arkan look like a broken Star Wars action figure, which is essentially what he is. An unloved child’s toy. Not being glued to General Garza’s rear end half the time is already an improvement.

And we’re already back to gratuitous rear end shots. Stay classy Bioware.

Click for Video (sorry about the lingering audio glitches, I got the worst of them!)

We grow closer every moment. Our former Emperor is out there.
The sooner we destroy him, the better. He’s held us away from our potential for far too long.
Agreed.
Why travel so far? Why consume every living thing on Ziost, then turn and flee into the depths of Wild Space?
He definitely didn’t sound afraid the last time we spoke. Could this all just be a game to him?

If we do locate him, I believe I can press the Dark Council into line….
But I’m beginning to doubt the Republic will make any serious contributions. Their assistance here has been useful, but limited.

He is a spy. But… if we have no other means….

Sorry, did I say 15 clicks? I meant 15 meters.
You loving idiots.

Readings are identical to scans from the unknown force that attacked Korriban!
Raise shields. Pursue and destroy.

It kept itself hidden until it was right on top of us then revealed itself at an opportune moment.
It wants us to turn and chase it, so we’ll caught maneuvering and unable to turn away and escape.

Going to say ‘I told you so?’
Someone’s been watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes.
What? What does that mean?
Nothing good for us. Expect boarding pods, knights in shining armor, and halberds.

PTN’s note: The Eternal Throne’s logo. It is a chair. It is also a sword.

Set deflectors to double aft! Divert weapon power to the engines!
You might want to wait until we’re not pointed directly at the enemy.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 12, 2016

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

It begins.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Them's some trash shields on your personal vessel, Marr.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Them's some trash shields on your personal vessel, Marr.

Also note that his flagship is a Terminus class destroyer, one of the smaller ships in the Imperial fleet in TOR.

But yeah, meet the Eternal Fleet. Being invincible is its primary gimmick and plot role.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Cythereal posted:

Also note that his flagship is a Terminus class destroyer, one of the smaller ships in the Imperial fleet in TOR.

But yeah, meet the Eternal Fleet. Being invincible is its primary gimmick and plot role.

Oh I bet that doesn't get old fast.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Oh I bet that doesn't get old fast.
It doesn't, really. The anime death fleet is pretty cool.

Also, I must disagree with PTN about KOTFE's prettiness. The environments are more detailed, the costumes more elaborate and the cutscene direction is better. It looks a lot nicer than the 'main' game. Still about 10 years behind current graphics, but it ain't bad.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Inferior posted:

Also, I must disagree with PTN about KOTFE's prettiness. The environments are more detailed, the costumes more elaborate and the cutscene direction is better. It looks a lot nicer than the 'main' game. Still about 10 years behind current graphics, but it ain't bad.

Most of the things that 'ruin' the experience are developer incompetence (not fading to black for quite long enough so there's an obvious pop-in as all of the geometry loads, positioning background characters too close to the camera so their lightsaber effects flicker as their idle animation brings it on or off screen, etc).

But I will agree about cutscene direction being better. At least one (probably several) of the people involved really do some nice creative work with the camera.

It's just a pity they didn't fire Gratuitous rear end-Shot Jones.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Inferior posted:

It doesn't, really. The anime death fleet is pretty cool.

I agree I liked the Eternal Fleet as it provided an actual constant threat in the story unlike every super weapon that has come before which was usually eliminated rather quickly. It's nice to have a constant threat after you for once.

As for Marr's flagship being a small destroyer it makes some sort of sense. If you look at the fleet it is made up of nothing but the smaller ships of both sides. A reason for this is that this is a scouting mission and the region of space they are flying into is not colonised by either the Republic or the Sith. Bigger ships require more crew and supplies so you don't want to bring a Harrower class ship along as it wouldn't be able to go far before having to turn around and go back for resupply.

Okay maybe I am making my own reasons for why it is nothing but smaller ships but I like this expansion especially as an imperial player.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Most of the things that 'ruin' the experience are developer incompetence (not fading to black for quite long enough so there's an obvious pop-in as all of the geometry loads, positioning background characters too close to the camera so their lightsaber effects flicker as their idle animation brings it on or off screen, etc).

But I will agree about cutscene direction being better. At least one (probably several) of the people involved really do some nice creative work with the camera.

It's just a pity they didn't fire Gratuitous rear end-Shot Jones.

The best things are stuff like standard animations not dealing very well with different weapon models so you have things like my Jedi consular holding her dual bladed lightsaber by the beam with one hand. All I could think about during that cutscene was ".... But I need that hand"

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Marr has always had a Terminus-class. It's newer than the Harrowers and more nimble, especially since his has an eezo Isotope-5 reactor. In theory it's powerful enough to put up a good fight so long as he hasn't pointed it directly into the teeth of a deathstack with no MP remaining.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It's kind of neat the way the fleet always shows up in those orderly little lines and formations. Very distinctive, even if the tactical advantage is a little questionable since it usually only seems like a few of those lines can actually engage at a time rather than being organized to maximize the firepower they can bring to bear. Still, considering up until now warships have usually been shown scattered around with no particular organization to them it's a step up.

Putting the Imperial fleet commander in a fast, manoeuvrable ship could make sense when the priority is keeping them out of harm's way. It probably works better if they bring some of those dreadnoughts along though, to do some tanking and distract the enemy's attention. I think it suits Marr's more reserved, tactical style than commanding the Compensator battleship to prove how big and important he is.

Even if the Empire and Republic are working together here, it's a bit ham-handed having them be in mixed company on an Imperial ship. You'd think they'd just be on their respective ships in a mixed fleet, why would they need a Republic sensor officer on Marr's own bridge? I guess it gets the point across at least, especially if as here you're playing an Imperial character and there's less visible evidence of cooperation.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

You know, I never thought about it, but I've yet to go through this content as a Republic Character. Are you on a Republic Ship and meet with Satele otherwise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Dolash posted:

Even if the Empire and Republic are working together here, it's a bit ham-handed having them be in mixed company on an Imperial ship. You'd think they'd just be on their respective ships in a mixed fleet, why would they need a Republic sensor officer on Marr's own bridge?

Best guess? The Dark Council's been undermining Darth Marr for a while and haven't exactly given this mission their support.

• Locked thread