Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

One of the most amazing biking experiences in my life was being part of a group of twenty or so bikes filtering through about 3 miles of solid traffic behind a Goldwing with Ride of the Valkyrie blasting on it's stereo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

goddamnedtwisto posted:

One of the most amazing biking experiences in my life was being part of a group of twenty or so bikes filtering through about 3 miles of solid traffic behind a Goldwing with Ride of the Valkyrie blasting on it's stereo.

How do you get excited about riding anymore, after that?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Did the Goldwing have valkyries airbrushed on it?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Charlie don't turn.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I had a fun day today. I was going to visit on my folks on my :italy: bike, and its battery died at the gas station 1.6 miles away from my place. Naturally thxgiving day tow price was pretty high, so I pushed it all the way back home. The 5 degree hill was particularly harrowing. For the last .6 miles I just sat on the bike and duck stepped it all the way home at a snail's pace. I knew the battery was getting lovely and bought a new one. But after a recent 250 mile ride I figured it would have enough juice not to crap out on me. Ah well. I am not even mad, just tired.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

pokie posted:

I had a fun day today. I was going to visit on my folks on my :italy: bike, and its battery died at the gas station 1.6 miles away from my place. Naturally thxgiving day tow price was pretty high, so I pushed it all the way back home. The 5 degree hill was particularly harrowing. For the last .6 miles I just sat on the bike and duck stepped it all the way home at a snail's pace. I knew the battery was getting lovely and bought a new one. But after a recent 250 mile ride I figured it would have enough juice not to crap out on me. Ah well. I am not even mad, just tired.

Couldn't just bump start it?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Finger Prince posted:

Couldn't just bump start it?

I tried a few times. I got up to 11 mph going down hill and it wouldn't start. Screen just flashed that battery was at 9.9V (instead of 12V) and shut off.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

pokie posted:

I tried a few times. I got up to 11 mph going down hill and it wouldn't start. Screen just flashed that battery was at 9.9V (instead of 12V) and shut off.

:italy:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

How do you get excited about riding anymore, after that?

My memories keep me warm at night.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Did the Goldwing have valkyries airbrushed on it?

Alas no, it was that kind of sludgy light-brown colour that seems to be the chromatic representation of 1973 which is unaccountably popular among Goldwing owners. It did, later in it's life, have cold cathode lights under it that made it look like a scifi hover bike though.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Ride of the Valkyries came on one time when I was on the track, but a street setting is better for it imo :respek:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Anti-ranting:
Rode about 150 miles up through the Petaluma ranches today. On the way home on the highway I passed by a car full of kids that kept pointing and waving and staring. I think it's cause I have a mirrored gold visor and the rebel alliance insignia on my white helmet like the coolest dork ever. I waved back, they all started grinning, and I pinned the throttle and hunched down and hit juuuust about triple digits to show off before slowing back down a mile ahead to commute the rest of the way home. :3:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It was 57* today and I couldn't ride because I broke my little toe yesterday and even putting on a pair of Hush Puppies to walk to the car was miserable, I can't imagine how much my too-tight riding boots would have hurt.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I clipped a car a couple years ago with my foot and it really messed it up. Half my foot purple and cuts behind my toes from the steel toe bending back from the impact. I thought my foot was broken in 20 places and torn tendons, etc. I don't know what exactly was damaged, it healed pretty fine afaik. But I was back on the bike right away because my foot only felt good with my boot on tied tight and I could actually walk. A broken toe is probably different, but it's kinda funny how sometimes you think something will be worse but actually helps.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I rolled out of bed and kicked my dresser in my sleep the night before last, it was... embarrassing. My right knee is bruised, my big toe on my right foot hurts when I walk, and I guess I didn't actually break that little toe on my left foot, it feels fine today, it was just really sore yesterday.

So I did some riding today, it felt great to get out after missing a whole 24 hour block.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Posting from the side of the road. VFR may be a write off, rear ended in traffic passing a car in flames on the side of the road. I'm fine, bike didn't hit the ground but the whole rear end is trashed.

So.... BMW or another VFR next?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Why did you decide to do that?

(Joking. Good to hear you weren't hurt. Thank God for insurance, eh?)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sue the poo poo out of the fucker who was gawking at the car instead of paying attention to the road. Your neck hurts, right? Yeah?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

Sue the poo poo out of the fucker who was gawking at the car instead of paying attention to the road. Your neck hurts, right? Yeah?

In the line of this, go see a doctor even if you feel fine. Tomorrow's going to be a bitch once the adrenaline wears off and the muscles start to get sore.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Sagebrush posted:

That sounds like you're advocating for someone to commit insurance fraud! :ironicat:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sagebrush posted:

Nah, phones almost dead but I'll explain better later, it was more complicated than that. His insurance company already accepted fault before we left the scene though so nbd on that front

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Ripoff posted:

In the line of this, go see a doctor even if you feel fine. Tomorrow's going to be a bitch once the adrenaline wears off and the muscles start to get sore.

Yeah I had 3 months of neck hell after getting rear ended in my Ford Taurus. Get to the doc to stay in front of it

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

PCOS Bill posted:

Posting from the side of the road. VFR may be a write off, rear ended in traffic passing a car in flames on the side of the road. I'm fine, bike didn't hit the ground but the whole rear end is trashed.

So.... BMW or another VFR next?

Are you in Texas on I-20 and was it a Ferrari? This was posted to the Terrible Car Stuff thread.

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Passed this a bit ago on I-20 in Texas

Guess that whole Ferrari on fire problem hasn't been solved yet :v:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

bigbillystyle posted:

Are you in Texas on I-20 and was it a Ferrari? This was posted to the Terrible Car Stuff thread.

Never change, Italy, never change.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Full story about the accident coming soon, just finished talking to both insurance companies, other company accepted fault, just being completely CYA until it's settled. It's not that interesting, and it's not like I'd be telling you anything I didn't tell them (Except maybe adding a few obscenities in) but I'd rather wait.

Talking to my claims rep, we're both pretty sure there's going to be one less VFR on the road... but I'm probably going to max out my accessories coverage on top of the value of the bike (Going through my company because I trust them to not screw me sideways with valuation, they're waiving my deductible since the other company accepted liability. I just know their number will favor me)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Never change, Italy, never change.

Good news! My fuel-bearing frame is Italian

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

clutchpuck posted:

Good news! My fuel-bearing frame is Italian

RIP

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Lol

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Tomorrow I meet with the adjuster about the VFR. I added up all the aftermarket accessories on it and it came to $3059 with just what was on the bike in the accident, leaving off the panniers and top case (But including the frames because they were mounted) and I have $3k in aftermarket accessory coverage on my policy so talk about lining up perfectly.

So if I manage to get $5k for the bike's ACV (probably lucky with $4k), $3k for the accessories, and sell the panniers and top case for ~$500ish that puts me into quite the replacement bike.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

PCOS Bill posted:

Tomorrow I meet with the adjuster about the VFR. I added up all the aftermarket accessories on it and it came to $3059 with just what was on the bike in the accident, leaving off the panniers and top case (But including the frames because they were mounted) and I have $3k in aftermarket accessory coverage on my policy so talk about lining up perfectly.

So if I manage to get $5k for the bike's ACV (probably lucky with $4k), $3k for the accessories, and sell the panniers and top case for ~$500ish that puts me into quite the replacement bike.

Ooooooo, what are you thinking of getting?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Chichevache posted:

Ooooooo, what are you thinking of getting?

With luck, exactly what I had. Without luck... I don't know, it's almost December, all the 'good deals' are gone around here (Pittsburgh) so I may have to watch and wait to see what pops up that catches my eye.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Have you considered a helicopter?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The Bananana posted:

Have you considered a helicopter?

So I can fly low over Pittsburgh and get Reddit threads posted about me all day long? (If you're making some other reference it's lost on me sorry)

Anyhow, looks like I'm getting a hair under $8k, I forgot the exact number. I'm not going to quibble over a few hundred dollars I expected over that... since I paid ~$5200 or so for it with tax.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
Man that sucks you're losing the VFR completely. But at least you are going to be able to bet back far more than you paid. The pre VTEC VFR's are loving amazing but check this out:

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2000-Honda-CBR-1100XX-120225739

That's your next bike bro. 3000 miles. Tons and tons of power and comfort. Bullet proof sewing machine. Work of god drat art. The bike that drat near ended the 90's speed warz.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Endbuster posted:

The bike that drat near ended the 90's speed warz.

Is that the Blackbird?

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

captainOrbital posted:

Is that the Blackbird?

The one and only.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If I ever had a Super Blackbird, the first thing I'd have to do is paint it satin black with red pinstripes, like its namesake

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I actually found a 2004 VFR800 with 11k miles I've emailed about. This one's black which I don't love, but it has almost exactly the same aftermarket stuff as mine did - Staintune exhaust, Helibars, etc., for about $4k

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

If I ever had a Super Blackbird, the first thing I'd have to do is paint it satin black with red pinstripes, like its namesake

I'm sure I remember the original concept bike was in that colour scheme but can't find any evidence of that with a quick google.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

Endbuster posted:

Man that sucks you're losing the VFR completely. But at least you are going to be able to bet back far more than you paid. The pre VTEC VFR's are loving amazing but check this out:

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2000-Honda-CBR-1100XX-120225739

That's your next bike bro. 3000 miles. Tons and tons of power and comfort. Bullet proof sewing machine. Work of god drat art. The bike that drat near ended the 90's speed warz.

Wellp, that got sold real fast. :( gl blackbird bro, I hope a retard didn't buy you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

PCOS Bill posted:

So I can fly low over Pittsburgh and get Reddit threads posted about me all day long? (If you're making some other reference it's lost on me sorry)

Anyhow, looks like I'm getting a hair under $8k, I forgot the exact number. I'm not going to quibble over a few hundred dollars I expected over that... since I paid ~$5200 or so for it with tax.

No reference. I just think more people need helicopters.