Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Finally found a Pixel XL case that I'm happy with. Spigen Slim Armor (black). Thought the kick stand might look tacky but it's really nice in person and very handy for my job.

Contrast between the two black parts is not quite so severe IRL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I'm not as impressed with the battery life as I thought I would be. I'm a pretty heavy user so I was looking forward to having something better than I did. It's better than a 2 year old nexus 6 but not as amazing as advertised

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Insane Totoro posted:

I'm thinking about getting a replacement for my Sony Xperia Z3 Compact.

Is the Z5 Compact or the X Compact the current "flagship mini?"

What is the precise difference? All I want is a phone that isn't huge and I really liked the Z3C. I liked the waterproofing and the basic no whistles OS.

(Maker of Shoes, enlighten me on how to shootmans better in Crucible and what phone I should get, thanks!)

Yo Totoro, you guys still playing destiny?

Also I believe Sony started dropping the ball on their recent small phones.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Finally Rogers gave me a replacement for my work Note7, an S7 Edge, and it's incredible how much slower and worse it is than the Pixel XL, despite scoring higher in benchmarks and tests. Google knocked it out of the park with this ugly rear end phone.

That looks better than I thought it would.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I got about 6 months out of my kickstand Spigen case. Do not overly fidget with the kickstand. The side pegs that hold it in are really short and do not handle stress very well.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

That looks better than I thought it would.

Me too, I tried Spigen cases a long time ago and was never happy with them. Their build/material quality has gone way up. Looks way better in person too.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I got about 6 months out of my kickstand Spigen case. Do not overly fidget with the kickstand. The side pegs that hold it in are really short and do not handle stress very well.
Can confirm, broke mine off after playing with it too much. :flaccid:

Do they (or someone else) sell replacements?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I don't have a phone to put inside it yet, but I went with this for when my PXL finally does come: https://www.incipio.com/collections/esquire-series/pixel-xl-cases/carnaby-google-pixel-xl-case.html

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

I'm not as impressed with the battery life as I thought I would be. I'm a pretty heavy user so I was looking forward to having something better than I did. It's better than a 2 year old nexus 6 but not as amazing as advertised

In my experience the P XL battery has been outstanding, if I forget to charge overnight I can go another day with light usage without even hitting battery saving at all

What kind of screen on time are you getting?

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

withoutclass posted:

Side to side? Mine do have a bit of wobble left to right, I'd say hardly enough to matter though.

It's big enough to make a rattling sound against the metal around it. I think it's RMA time.

Everything else is still amazing though. Not a single hitch in sight and the camera is unbelievable.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

AlexF posted:

It's big enough to make a rattling sound against the metal around it. I think it's RMA time.

Everything else is still amazing though. Not a single hitch in sight and the camera is unbelievable.

My first Pixel had perfect buttons but a camera issue. The second Pixel now has a slightly wobbling volume rocker and the volume up click is not as satisfying and a bit louder than the volume down click. Camera works like a charm though.
What I'm saying is RMA is always some kind of lottery at least in my experience.
I just can't be bothered to RMA again. Don't know if they would even send me a new one for my "the click doesn't feel as nice" issue.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Seem to recall SA was very anti-Oneplus back in the day I was looking at the OP2 (rightly as the OP2 was crap). Still the case now? The 3T is looking very tempting. I have a 6P but having the fingerprint reader on the back drives me up the wall (I'm a phone-on-desk person), the extra RAM would be nice and ironically OnePlus supports their phone with things like VoLTE on EE better than Google does.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

bronin posted:

My first Pixel had perfect buttons but a camera issue. The second Pixel now has a slightly wobbling volume rocker and the volume up click is not as satisfying and a bit louder than the volume down click. Camera works like a charm though.
What I'm saying is RMA is always some kind of lottery at least in my experience.
I just can't be bothered to RMA again. Don't know if they would even send me a new one for my "the click doesn't feel as nice" issue.

I think I'll try my luck once. If the second one wobbles as well I'll just keep it.

(And now I'm afraid of this camera issue :ohdear: )

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
If anyone is interested in the pixel, bestbuy has it on the device payment plan for 240 without requiring bill credits. Which means you can pay it off and cancel the plan immediately.

details here
https://slickdeals.net/f/9417827-best-buy-google-pixel-4g-lte-with-32gb-memory-cell-phone-9-99-mo-for-24-months?v=1
product link here
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/google-pixel-4g-lte-with-32gb-memory-cell-phone-quite-black-verizon/5656023.p?skuId=5656023

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I enrolled my Nexus 6p in the beta program more than 24 hours ago, but have not received an update yet. I have not rooted it or installed any updates manually, just OTA. 7.0, patch level 5th august, build number NRD90M. Known issue, weird, other?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

PerrineClostermann posted:

Yo Totoro, you guys still playing destiny?

Also I believe Sony started dropping the ball on their recent small phones.

Uh yeah we are and our Trials team did go 8-1 once.

But about my phone.... :p

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Phosphine posted:

I enrolled my Nexus 6p in the beta program more than 24 hours ago, but have not received an update yet. I have not rooted it or installed any updates manually, just OTA. 7.0, patch level 5th august, build number NRD90M. Known issue, weird, other?

Did you enroll in the beta a few months ago to get to 7.0? If so, that ended up not being the final 7.0 rollout, and the people that did that had to manually flash a newer version to get OTA updates.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

AlexF posted:

I think I'll try my luck once. If the second one wobbles as well I'll just keep it.

(And now I'm afraid of this camera issue :ohdear: )

It's a weird one for sure. Still not 100% sure if it's software or hardware or both.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!msg/phone-by-google/9W8AiqBIg3c/XJ0lXd3MBwAJ

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
That one I heard of. Had it on my Nexus 6 as well which made me switch to a Robin (lol).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Weird that it only affects international users. I'm assuming you are one?

e: Another interesting facet of it is that it only presents on EDGE which also might limit exposure to international markets. Most of America's EDGE networks have been refarmed to LTE leaving 3G as the lowest network type almost everywhere. Given that two of our networks are CDMA and T-Mobile I know has almost no EDGE left, that would only leave AT&T that could exhibit this (and I doubt they have that much EDGE left either). It doesn't really narrow the scope any as I'm sure there is a different hardware variant for the rest of the world versus the US and there are certainly different software radios, but it's an interesting bug nonetheless. I could certainly see how it would escape detection.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Nov 24, 2016

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Did you enroll in the beta a few months ago to get to 7.0? If so, that ended up not being the final 7.0 rollout, and the people that did that had to manually flash a newer version to get OTA updates.

I was in the android N beta, but after it got released for real and I got the OTA to non-preview I unenrolled. Has this left me in a non-supported update state somehow?

Edit: actually I should've noticed that, i'm on the august patch level, so clearly my phone is not on the right version. NRD90M is not in the list of 6p OTAs over at https://developers.google.com/android/ota. I should probably flash one of those instead then?

Phosphine fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 24, 2016

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Phosphine posted:

I was in the android N beta, but after it got released for real and I got the OTA to non-preview I unenrolled. Has this left me in a non-supported update state somehow?

Edit: actually I should've noticed that, i'm on the august patch level, so clearly my phone is not on the right version. NRD90M is not in the list of 6p OTAs over at https://developers.google.com/android/ota. I should probably flash one of those instead then?

I would try sideloading NRD90U and see if that fixes it. That's the 7.0 version that non-beta people got.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I sideloaded NRD90U, booted up nicely, promptly got an OTA to update further. Most excellent, thank you!

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

The Duggler posted:

In my experience the P XL battery has been outstanding, if I forget to charge overnight I can go another day with light usage without even hitting battery saving at all

What kind of screen on time are you getting?

Well for example, since being at full charge this morning I have 13 minutes screen on time and it went down 3%. Is that normal?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Well for example, since being at full charge this morning I have 13 minutes screen on time and it went down 3%. Is that normal?
Well "full" actually fluctuates around a bit. But being pessamistic lets call that 15 minutes and 4%. That is 16% per hour of awake/in-use/screen-on time, or something like 6-7 hours worth of active use. Thats pretty damned good by any measure. :)

I'm 110% happy with my PXL battery life.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Ok. I just didn't expect to have to charge my phone when I got home from work when I can't use it heavily there. When I'm not at work I'm almost always on my phone. I use it instead of a computer pretty much.

Although to be fair I had to charge my old phone twice during the work day before.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

LastInLine posted:

Weird that it only affects international users. I'm assuming you are one?

Yeah I have the international version and also mostly experienced the issue in areas with edge. New one hasn't crashed yet. I hope it stays that way. Maybe there are some Pixels with different mobile radios and/or defects that when transmitting at full power somehow influence the camera module.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Ok. I just didn't expect to have to charge my phone when I got home from work when I can't use it heavily there. When I'm not at work I'm almost always on my phone. I use it instead of a computer pretty much.

Although to be fair I had to charge my old phone twice during the work day before.

Do you get decent signal at your work?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Remember how the Google search bar got a little transparent widget under it a few months ago that surfaced Now-esque information like weather and stuff? Was never really sure how "beta" the feature was, because Google, but all I know is it's gone now. The option disappeared from the Google app settings. Is this just another hastily abandoned feature?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I want to set something up so that after work I can tap something to easily turn off all email notifications from the gmail app EXCEPT for one folder / label (basically the "emergency!" label). If an email goes to that folder I want my phone to beep and vibrate and flash until I wake up.

I know people used to use tasker for stuff like this. Is that still a thing? Or is there something simpler?

Is changing notification settings for individual labels too fiddly a thing for something like tasker?

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

hooah posted:

Do you get decent signal at your work?

Yep!

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 ðŸ™Â
Taco Defender
I got a pixel and expected a subtle performance difference compared to 5/5x. It's not subtle. poo poo is smooth as butter

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I just got back from a week long trip to Disney Land where I wanted to chuck my 6p at a wall. Got my Pixel XL setup last night and so far I'm in that new Google device honeymoon period

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

LG is apparently not longer replacing 5x's affected by the bootloop issue, they are refunding money.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/LG-offering-full-refunds-to-Nexus-5X-owners-affected-by-a-particular-hardware-malfunction_id88231

They apparently can't repair and refurbish the ones that broke due to part availability, do with stock running low they are just going to issue refunds.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

WhyteRyce posted:

I just got back from a week long trip to Disney Land where I wanted to chuck my 6p at a wall. Got my Pixel XL setup last night and so far I'm in that new Google device honeymoon period

Did It stay Wall Free enough to be resellable? I am still enjoying my 6P and hoping it tides me over till next years Pixel.

I have mine all pixelized with everything but the home button animation thing. Have the wallpapers, home, phone, camera and assistant working on my 6P.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

EdEddnEddy posted:

Did It stay Wall Free enough to be resellable? I am still enjoying my 6P and hoping it tides me over till next years Pixel.

This is me. I'm tempted when everyone talks about the greatness of the Pixel, and the few minutes I've spent with the Pixel were pretty good...but the 6P is also pretty nice and I don't have to spend any money to continue using it!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

EdEddnEddy posted:

I have mine all pixelized with everything but the home button animation thing. Have the wallpapers, home, phone, camera and assistant working on my 6P.

As mad as I can get at things, I pride myself on keeping my gadgets in good shape. I'm one of those filthy goons that always uses a case

Actually I'm sure I'd be fine with my 6p once it gets 7.1 but the T-Mobile free $325 back is hard to say no to

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 25, 2016

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

fuf posted:

I want to set something up so that after work I can tap something to easily turn off all email notifications from the gmail app EXCEPT for one folder / label (basically the "emergency!" label). If an email goes to that folder I want my phone to beep and vibrate and flash until I wake up.

I know people used to use tasker for stuff like this. Is that still a thing? Or is there something simpler?

Is changing notification settings for individual labels too fiddly a thing for something like tasker?

LightFlow can certainly do that.

Peep Jerky
Apr 11, 2005
Does anyone have an HTC 10? I'm wondering what complaints people have for that phone. Here's the decision in trying to make: I can either get the Pixel and Google-fi which would probably save me money over my Sprint plan, or get the cheaper HTC 10, which I like based on looks and the reviews saying it has great audio quality, but keep the more expensive plan. I know the answer is probably get a Pixel, but I don't use my phone for that much other than listening to music, so the headphone amp on the HTC appeals to me, and the price of the Pixel doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
I currently have an S6 and it is starting to get rather frustrated with its increasing non-performance. Looking at the Google Pixel, but not sure if I should just wait until the next flagships come out early next year. I am on Verizon and have no plans to change anytime soon, so I would be eligible for the promotion.

Is the Pixel really as good as they say it is, or is it just being hyped? From what I am reading it performs better than the S7, so I am assuming I will see a big upgrade from an S6 (which is crap in my opinion).