Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Kiwi Blitz: Your devotion to not being an up and out murderer is appreciated, Ben, but I don't think you have the CHA stat to pull it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
She's the lightning, but he's the thunder.

Edit Let's Speak English has now not updated in over two months. I'm glad she's moving on to Professional Artist Things, but I'm gonna miss LSE.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Nov 23, 2016

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I really hope she does some more LSE like comics here and there. There's plenty of dumb stuff outside of Japan to make comics about.

anti-magic
Sep 9, 2012

We've come up in the ram-raiding business, Owl.
It's all high class now.
No more baby seats.

No sorry, it's actually a really bad comic and the artist behind it is a bit of a fuckhead as evidenced by her saying the queer posters criticising her work in the good webcomics thread weren't the right kind of queer.

valeriehoopla posted:

hey there. i check this thread pretty often even though i know i shouldn't. it's the worst kind of invasive curiosity, yknow? call it... ten dollars worth of curiosity...

anyway, i'm the author of goodbye to halos, and i'd like for you to stop reposting my comic here. this is more for my own sake than in defense of my work. i'm not losing revenue off this or anything; it's fair use, it's fine, whatever. it mainly just makes me really uncomfortable thinking every page i put up is getting reposted somewhere for y'all to try and performatively invent angles to jab at it from. i want to gently suggest that if my comic seems weird or boring or uncomfortable to you, it's probably because you're not exactly my target demographic. i get second-hand embarrassed reading you folks acting weirded out when my queer characters in my queer webcomic act queer. and especially on a day like today, i'm kind of not willing to put up with that.

i don't really get the impression that any of y'all are particularly enjoying my comic, so i think it would hardly be a loss for you to politely abstain from posting it.

anyway that's my first and only post, for all time, forever!!!!!!!!!! also the reason i write characters' pronouns in their introductions is because even when i organically refer to them by their pronouns in-universe people still manage to misgender them!!!!! it's really not that hard to understaaaaand

Feel free to like it, but understand that it is objectively bad by every metric imaginable.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

anti-magic posted:

No sorry, it's actually a really bad comic and the artist behind it is a bit of a fuckhead as evidenced by her saying the queer posters criticising her work in the good webcomics thread weren't the right kind of queer.

Feel free to like it, but understand that it is objectively bad by every metric imaginable.

oh hey, i also forgot they tried to leverage the Orlando nightclub shooting to shame people into not making fun of their awful awful comic

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Daughter of Lilies person is clearly capable of better things (as seen from that crazy underworld), I wish they wouldn't waste their skills on a faux-D&D comic.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I still maintain that Jones is the only person in Kiwi Blitz that is actually going to die before the end of the comic, but Gear keeps trying her damnedest to prove me wrong.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

HorseRenoir posted:

There's finally a plot now but it just feels like a generic shonen conflict without any emotional depth to make it potent. The author could've used the past 100 pages to develop interesting and emotionally complex characters but nope

Yeah I agree, the characters are incredibly shallow at this point. a few exposition arrows talking about their sexualities and pronouns, and oh, one freaks out at knives. I'm not sure why i'm supposed to care about the community built up around this if I don't care about the individuals. and the protag is some really standard shonen hero stereotype, which could be played up as interesting, but we were able to conveniently start the comic after all of her bad times so we don't really understand or care about how the furry commune unlocked her true self. I'm not invested in her happiness. (And this is as a queer person)

Burkion posted:

So I started reading Goodbye to Halos because of you fuckers got to the point where the dude was introduced as "Very Con-cerned Gay Lion" and decided nope

I just

Look I'm straight so that means I don't have an invested interest in queer fiction by default, but this has nothing to do with that. That is a terrible way to introduce a character I don't care what whimsical bullshit you're trying to coat it in. Imagine O Human Star if it introduced Al as "Grumpy Frustrated Gay Man Who May Have Always Wanted To Be Trans But It's Kind Of Complicated And A Touchy Subject"

On second thought that would be almost ridiculous enough to pass.

What I'm trying to say is that Goodbye to Halos has lovely writing that makes me angry as a writer, just in how it introduces people. And that's notable.

The comic really overuses the exposition arrows when it doesn't need to. "concerned gay lion" is a perfect example of that. we can tell the character is a lioncatboy already, and he's obviously concerned. you don't go more than 20 pages further before it becomes obvious how gay he is. I get that silly doodle comics on social media sites will put 60 arrows and a notation on something as an extremely-exaggerated joke, but it gets completely superfluous and kind of obnoxious when you're doing a longform story comic and you have the time and space to detail all of that anyway. if you're really concerned about making sure everyone knows the sexuality and pronouns, an updated cast page would be a way easier point of reference for readers, too.

Alaois posted:

oh hey, i also forgot they tried to leverage the Orlando nightclub shooting to shame people into not making fun of their awful awful comic

that's disgusting and I don't get why somebody would lurk on a thread that periodically laughs at their comic if it hurts them that much

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
GtH's art is so poor that I often have trouble telling where a character's head is.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016
I read through what backlog of GtH there was back when it was last mentioned in this thread, and despite being generally super thirsty for GLBT comics and superficially similar to GtH's protagonist, I just completely failed to resonate with it. It didn't inspire in me a desire to deeply analyze why. Although thinking now,

Nuns with Guns posted:

we were able to conveniently start the comic after all of her bad times so we don't really understand or care about how the furry commune unlocked her true self.

is probably something like the reason.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Gutter Owl posted:

Like, let's gloss over the generic fantasy worldbuilding poo poo for a sec, because I do think it's kinda trite and overlabored and overburdened with exposition. K6BD it ain't. But it's honestly not important*.
I'm snipping this from the rest of your post because it's a reminder to share something Abaddon mentioned during one of his online meetings.

Folks, myself included, gushed over the K6BD's worldbuilding, but he told us it's the storytelling that's important. It was a wake-up call to me because I saw it as essential as geography when I was putting the cart before the horse the entire time.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

anti-magic posted:

I...okay, that was a really embarrassing misstep. Cut the gal some slack, she stuck her foot in her mouth on a horrifyingly awful day. A lot of folks were touchy as gently caress that week. (Also, dudes were reaching real hard to interpret that post as "You're the wrong kind of queer.") Still the politest creator meltdown I've ever seen on the forums. Ain't like she Sarah Zeroed up the place.

Nuns with Guns posted:

...but we were able to conveniently start the comic after all of her bad times so we don't really understand or care about how the furry commune unlocked her true self. I'm not invested in her happiness.

I dunno, I thought it was kinda refreshing to not have another story about watching a queer teen get poo poo on? Like, I figure that's the one Mainstream Gay Narrative we all know well enough that you can just allude to it and assume people get the gist? Like, can we not have a story about a different part of the lifecycle without the requisite weird misery voyeurism?

Oxxidation posted:

GtH's art is so poor that I often have trouble telling where a character's head is.

I'm sorry about your crippling prosopagnosia? That's rough buddy.

---

ANYWAY before someone accuses me of being a parachute account or something, uh...poo poo I don't actually know where to go with that. What goon-approved good comics don't already have a splinter thread? Like, this reads like the Poppy, McNinja, and Mary Cagle megathread most days.

I really couldn't get into Daughter of the Lillies. I keep getting too distracted by the protag's terminal case of Lars de Souza eyebrow and the mediocre gore to keep up with the boilerplate fantasy plot.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Don't worry gutter I doubt anyone thinks you're the person who makes Halos

Nor cares if you are.

Like, if you enjoy it then cool. If you don't, and you have good reasons for it, also cool. No one needs to make anyone else feel like poo poo over a super gay webcomic on the internet in 2016. We have enough poo poo to worry about.

Also why don't we talk about O Human Star more because that thing is a treat. No I don't care it's not coming back until December gently caress ya'll

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

anti-magic posted:

I agree with what she posted

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Burkion posted:

Also why don't we talk about O Human Star more because that thing is a treat. No I don't care it's not coming back until December gently caress ya'll

Now now, Delliquanti is very busy learning the best ways to eat bugs. (I wanna have faith, but I just dread Meal is gonna be the preachiest poo poo imaginable.)

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Gutter Owl posted:

I disagree? From where I'm standing, the stakes seem pretty drat clear and big and well-established.

Like, let's gloss over the generic fantasy worldbuilding poo poo for a sec, because I do think it's kinda trite and overlabored and overburdened with exposition. K6BD it ain't. But it's honestly not important*.

But aside from that, the emotional core is "Queer kid finds queer enclave. Queer kid finally has breathing room and support network to pick through and patch up their mental damage. Outside force threatens to take that away." That's a pretty loving relevant conflict for a lot of LGBT folks. And I feel like the past 100-odd pages have been setting up the stakes to be lost.

And I think Val needed...well, some percentage of those 100 pages to really explore what that means to us weird gay kids. (I say "kids" and "us" like I'm not knocking on 30, but I was there not too long ago.) Like, this sort of enclave-building, chosen-family poo poo is a big part of the modern gay/trans experience that you really don't see in media? So it's both interesting and validating that Halla spends a good chunk of time painting what that looks like in detail, and why it's so meaningful and precious to Fenic and folks like her.

I mean, I relate to this poo poo. I called it "college," and "the first few years after transitioning," myself.

Call it Tumblrina poo poo if you gotta? But Tumblrina poo poo is basically just Portland poo poo is basically just San Francisco poo poo is basically the story of gay people having to figure out what community and relationships and mental health are from scratch, basically since the days when the Mattachine Society and the Daughters of Bilitis were a thing.

So yeah, I think the stakes are pretty evident, and pretty significant, and honestly the comic needed that time to build up and confirm to its weird queer kid audience that, yes, this is a story about y'all, and the poo poo y'all hold dear, and the poo poo y'all are scared of?

My problem is that Val doesn't actually do any of this in the comic. The main character's old life and backstory is completely glossed over, yet the author also expects you to intuitively know that her old life was really bad even though nothing shown through flashbacks or exposition shows that as the case. But if the author doesn't want to focus on the struggle and instead wants to make a story about building a new life in a queer community, that's fine! But she doesn't do that either. She just skips from "main character is unsure of her own identity" straight to "main character is out of the closet and fully integrated in a queer community" without showing any of the steps in between. Again, the author just glosses over these things but expects the readers to just know what that process is like, so they can still care about the main character's story and her community and what's at stake for her without actually putting in any of the legwork.

Obviously for any media targeted towards a niche audience there's going to be certain things left untold that the intended audience is expected to be familiar with, but this is lazy storytelling and it flattens the queer experience into one universal story that all queer people are expected to inherently "know". As a queer man who couldn't directly relate to what was going on in the comic, I found Val's assertion that "this is a queer comic for queer people and if you don't like it it's probably because you're not queer enough to get it" to be really patronizing and insulting. If storytelling isn't the main focus, but telling a detailed, personal queer story isn't happening either, then what's left? A giant in-joke for Val and her circle of friends to point at and say "yeah it do be like that sometimes"? Maybe Val should have just converted this comic into a tumblr RP blog if she wasn't interested in saying anything beyond writing light fluff about her OCs.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

All this is making the comic sound like Queerstional Content which sounds kind of amazing in a popcorny :munch: comic sort of way

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Speaking of comics bogged down by fetish poo poo and fluff, I think I might've finally hit my limit with El Goonish Shive.

Like the only really interesting things that comic actually had going for it was one character actually figuring out his gender identity beyond "transformation for funsies" and the fantasy plot of "some people want to reveal magic and others want it hidden, who will succeed?" was actually really intriguing with good points on both sides.

But now the answer seems to be "magic will change itself rather than be discovered, stop trying" and "that cool gender and sexuality poo poo won't be talked about for another two years". So all that intrigue, like everything in EGS, just went to building up more things/get an unsatisfactory twenty page exposition rant.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

nerdman42 posted:

Speaking of comics bogged down by fetish poo poo and fluff, I think I might've finally hit my limit with El Goonish Shive.

Like the only really interesting things that comic actually had going for it was one character actually figuring out his gender identity beyond "transformation for funsies" and the fantasy plot of "some people want to reveal magic and others want it hidden, who will succeed?" was actually really intriguing with good points on both sides.

But now the answer seems to be "magic will change itself rather than be discovered, stop trying" and "that cool gender and sexuality poo poo won't be talked about for another two years". So all that intrigue, like everything in EGS, just went to building up more things/get an unsatisfactory twenty page exposition rant.
Author keeps derailing with poo poo like dumbass card games when all you wanna read is magic teens breaking the status quo. But apparently any significant changes to the setting would be too much effort

Jackard fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 23, 2016

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Poison Mushroom posted:

All this is making the comic sound like Queerstional Content which sounds kind of amazing in a popcorny :munch: comic sort of way

Normally I would insist that comparing anything to Questionable Content is uncalled for but, yeah, this is fairly on the money.

The way Goodbye to Halos skips completely over the matter of the protagonists transition and integration into the queer community so that they can hurry along to the REAL POINT, gay relationship drama, really left a bad taste in my mouth.

And yeah I also completely forgot since last time that this came up that they tried to use the Orlando shooting as leverage to make their godawful point, jesus gently caress them categorically.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Gutter Owl posted:

I'm sorry about your crippling prosopagnosia? That's rough buddy.

This conversation prompted me to binge GtH and I'm more or less on board, but for all the things it does right the art does periodically poo poo the bed. I'm actually super into this kind of art style, but if you're going to use flats with no outline or shading you really really need to stay on top of the contrast to keep it readable and GtH just doesn't do that. Here's a random page of Cucumber Quest for comparison:

Pay particular attention to the middle row. The left-middle panel is a great demonstration of what not to do for general illustration purposes: it's busy, it's flat, and there's a lot of borders between similar hue/similar value. Most of the details of the panel get drowned out, and that's OK because it's done very deliberately for effect. It's a blurry mess of inchoate frustration intended to merely act as a backdrop for the baker's outburst. Compare to the panel next to it, which uses a similar palette (creating continuity) but tweaks all the colors for readability. In fact, the brown baker is drawn with a different palette in every panel she appears in. Gigi carefully picks every color every time it appears, there are no fixed palettes.

Also, check out the massive foreground shading going on in the first and last panels. Cucumber and Almond pop like crazy in a way that they never could if Gigi shaded everything in the same ambient lighting.

Contrast with a random page from GtH at about the same point in the comic's run:

Everything uses the same palette from panel to panel, with no dynamic coloring at all. And by "everything uses the same palette", I pretty much mean "everything uses the same palette as everything else." These 4 colors are 4 completely distinct objects on this page, several of which actually overlap:

Something like 80% of the real estate on this page consists of either a slight variation on this brownish-pink color or a slight variation on a whitish-beige color. It's entirely possible to do cool stylized things with such a limited palette, but it serves no point on this page except making it unnecessarily difficult to parse. Like, the knife Fenic's using is literally the focal point of the entire scene and there's not a single panel where it sharply stands out--it blends into the background and into the blue magic poo poo or just gets lost among the general beigeness. Meanwhile, Fenic's yellow sash shows up randomly in a corner of one panel and pops like crazy. Why? Yellow is Fenic's accent color but calling attention to it in this particular spot on the page (and only this spot) is a pointless distraction. Then you reach the bottom panel and switch from looking at Fenic's hands and arms to looking at chair legs that are almost exactly the same shape and color. As with anything the art does tend to get better as it goes, but then you get to the current scene and the artist decides that what she needs in her ultra low contrast comic that plays fast and loose with shape and color is a character with extra arms and eyes, because that's not at all visually confusing.

I'm not trying to tear GtH apart--it's a cute comic and I'm glad it is a thing that exists, warts and all. The art seems pretty experimental and I applaud the artist for having the guts to try. But the fact remains it's pretty obvious that she's just not there yet, especially when you try to stack it up against heavy hitters like CQ.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i didn't even see the knife until you pointed it out

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
in a way we are all bad webcomics, but the worst webcomic of all... is my sweet can

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Avshalom posted:

in a way we are all bad webcomics, but the worst webcomic of all... is my sweet can

in that it has four panels

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

nerdman42 posted:

If you're looking for something deep or meaningful, EGS is the wrong comic to look for. The comic had its run at deeper drama a while back, and since then, the author made clear his intent to "bring the silly back" and the comic followed through.

I feel like there's less fetish stuff these days too, the comic shifted more towards this other grand plot about magic oozing all over Moperville. It's not any of the grand plots that were set up earlier in the comic about aliens or secret organizations or alternate dimensions, but it's something. A lot of false starts and loose threads are what you can expect from a comic that has been running for 14 years since the author was in High School, he changed as a person and wanted to take the comic in different directions. He'd be way better served if he would just end the comic and start a new one with more freedom to build something new, but I guess some authors just can't bring themselves to kill their babies.

I'm actually a little hopeful for the comic now for the first time in a long while, because this whole will of magic thing has finally brought together so many disparate loose plot threads that maybe a real narrative will form out of this whole mess. Now that Tedd's dreams have been shattered, maybe he'll actually be motivated to accomplish something beyond wacky transformation schenanigans in the background.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Deprived updated, for anyone that was reading it. No story underneath yet, but she's moving forward.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

I hope her boobs heal

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Gutter Owl posted:

I dunno, I thought it was kinda refreshing to not have another story about watching a queer teen get poo poo on? Like, I figure that's the one Mainstream Gay Narrative we all know well enough that you can just allude to it and assume people get the gist? Like, can we not have a story about a different part of the lifecycle without the requisite weird misery voyeurism?

I'm all for characters being trans or gay without having to go through "the transition story" or "the coming out" story. Brooklyn nine-nine is a great example of how well that can be pulled off. The problem here is when the comic doubles back to reinforce how important coming to furryland has been to Fenic. to really be invested in that, I think it'd need more of... something. Maybe a longer lead-in to establish how she was before so we can see how she's changed? The actual transition could remain a fast montage. Anyone who stumbles across the comic would have background info to fill in the blanks there. Or more buildup of Fenic in her current home that fleshes out both her and her supporting cast beyond the most barebones sterotypes. Or advancing the timeline even further to a point where she's truly comfortable in her skin and has come to terms with all the aspects of her identity. That would change the whole growing up/hero's journey metaphor ofc, but maybe that would be more interesting? As it stand it's in this awkward in-between stage where everything is half established before rushing on to.... something. I'm not convinced whatever this is building to will be worth the haste

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
What is going on with that face in panel two. Picasso?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Jackard posted:

What is going on with that face in panel two. Picasso?

Birthmark.

...okay special magical fantasy birthmark with a dumb name, shut up.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'm still enjoying it, but am kind of slowly coming to expect more and more that whatever Thistle's big face-secret is, it's gonna be either super cliche or super boring, probably both.

Edit Daughter of the Lilies, I mean.

I'm just kind of assuming it's "she is an angel/nephilim."

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

She's a Jojo under the mask

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I tried reading GtH just now and made it to around where the color comparison post above came from before giving up.

If I hadn't heard that it was a queer comic in this thread I would have thought the character in the prologue and the one in the comic proper were two different people. I could barely follow the prologue anyway, the sense of time passing is communicated extremely poorly. I got that time was passing between each letter, but in the span of like five pages the protagonist goes from being scared out of their mind to snuggling in bed with the bunny dude. It felt like it was supposed to be a matter of weeks or months but apparently it's like five years???

The page with the big text telling me the main character was a ~HUGE LESBIAN~ is around where I started getting the feeling I wasn't going to be able to keep going. A webcomic having to tell me something that basic about a character instead of just loving showing it in the story is a big loving red flag

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Wrist Watch posted:

I tried reading GtH just now and made it to around where the color comparison post above came from before giving up.

If I hadn't heard that it was a queer comic in this thread I would have thought the character in the prologue and the one in the comic proper were two different people. I could barely follow the prologue anyway, the sense of time passing is communicated extremely poorly. I got that time was passing between each letter, but in the span of like five pages the protagonist goes from being scared out of their mind to snuggling in bed with the bunny dude. It felt like it was supposed to be a matter of weeks or months but apparently it's like five years???

The page with the big text telling me the main character was a ~HUGE LESBIAN~ is around where I started getting the feeling I wasn't going to be able to keep going. A webcomic having to tell me something that basic about a character instead of just loving showing it in the story is a big loving red flag

Sorry but if you don't enjoy GtH then you're No True Queersman (or Queerswoman as the case may be). The author said so :v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Green Intern posted:

I'm just kind of assuming it's "she is an angel/nephilim."
I think the only way this would be even remotely cool if she's an angel, but like, the "burning wheel covered in eyes" style old Catholic "be ye not afraid" angel.

Because drat that would actually be a really cool twist on the formula that would use Cliche Christian Theology Shortcuts in an actually interesting way.

And now that I've said that I've either spoiled the twist or set myself up for huge disappointment.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Sorry but if you don't enjoy GtH then you're No True Queersman (or Queerswoman as the case may be). The author said so :v:

Don't hurt your back, reaching like that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Gutter Owl posted:

GO, as a fellow queer noncis lady, I deeply appreciate you saying so many words about how tired The Queer Coming Out Experience is getting.

But you're getting scrappy.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Gutter Owl posted:

The quote's literally on this page, I didn't have to go far :v:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Does anyone here still read Sluggy Freelance? It finally feels like its all building towards a finale, and the run of one of the oldest webcomics will be over, and the author has basically confirmed that we are in the last stretch... although it might take a year or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm not falling for that. People have been saying that for years

• Locked thread