Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Wait until they figure out that SA is pay to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

starkebn posted:

What's the use of a troop transport? What would you actually use it for?

What's the use of a cargo ship? What would you actually use it for?

What's the use of a motorbike ship? What would you actually use it for?

The difference is that the cargo ships and motorbikes have a utility or game play reason for their existence (moving market goods to make a profit/a simple way to traverse the terrain of a planet). The troop transport might have a use, but I wouldn't count on it (will there be a use case where you need to move a lot of people, but you wouldn't use a personal ship instead)?

Capital ships on the other hand have no identifiable use, aside from being a relatively weak glass cannon. They aren't really designed to be used in dog-fighting (the only form of space combat in the game), and there are no other gameplay elements that require the operation of a capital ship (there is no fleet combat, station defence, or siege mechanics). They require so many people to operate, and are such a big target, that it would be more effective to have everyone in smaller ships instead.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit
I just remembered the 'leak' where there was 4 or so hints and it ended up with a note being on that algorithm book site and it just said 'let me loving finish'.

Good times.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I'm your friendly reminder that the Final Fantasy ship thing was originally billed as a "boarding craft" because they had planned to implement a feature that would let you cut through the hull of another commando's ship to force your way inside. This was quietly nixed when they realize how totally loving impossible it was.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm your friendly reminder that the Final Fantasy ship thing was originally billed as a "boarding craft" because they had planned to implement a feature that would let you cut through the hull of another commando's ship to force your way inside. This was quietly nixed when they realize how totally loving impossible it was.

Excuse me, but they are hard at work producing docking adapters 2.0

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

Lol reddit is hard at work trying to determine how Derek got back on SA. Sleuth it out you weirdos.

If you checked the secret forum, you'd know it was EA paying Lowtax on the down low. EA thought the game was over but no, it's not.

Also like EightAce, Derek isn't actually just one Internet Warlord. You could say he's something of a Wolf of online strategic marketing. Ha ha ha!

But don't let that get out, because if CIG discovered they were being played the fallout from it might be horrible. You could say it might lead to a mutiny. Ha ha ha!

:ssh:

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

The Titanic posted:

If you checked the secret forum, you'd know it was EA paying Lowtax on the down low. EA thought the game was over but no, it's not.

Also like EightAce, Derek isn't actually just one Internet Warlord. You could say he's something of a Wolf of online strategic marketing. Ha ha ha!

But don't let that get out, because if CIG discovered they were being played the fallout from it might be horrible. You could say it might lead to a mutiny. Ha ha ha!

:ssh:

A one man wolf pack?

Or an individual with multiple ... monikers?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Beet Wagon posted:

Every Dream Will Come True

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Saint Drogo posted:

Derek's latest unreadable tantrum in full

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving EveryOne

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

derek why are you qqing so much

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

I don't think Chris Roberts knows that word you used. That "impossible" thing. It's a feature still coming, like the rest, only a bit further out. After a few more hearty refactors and a few more tough firings of people who don't follow the vision and can't understand that nothing is impossible, you'll get it. In an MMO environment with about a million other players in the same instance.

Know why?

He's plugged it into the loving cloud is why. :yayclod:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Propagandist posted:

A one man wolf pack?

Or an individual with multiple ... monikers?

I would Larsen a guess, but I can't say too much without giving the whole thing up. All I will say is that it's all genius, and collecting money from all sides while being a triple-double-quad TheAgent is pretty much going to go down in history. The best part of all is how nobody will believe it. :aaaaa:

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Post things you're glad/thankful of!

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

thatguy posted:

This Thanksgiving I'm thankful I don't live in the US (sorry not sorry)

*edit - also glad of this guy http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/today-showsaussiest-interview-ever-puts-brisbane-man-in-the-spotlight-20161123-gswc2q.html

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm glad I'm not an American.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

:smith:

:smith:

But I thought everyone who buys expensive ships were rich, and were making informed decisions about their personal hobby spending money. Are you telling me that this is no true? Is Croberts really taking financial advantage of poor broke brain nerds? Say it ain't so.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

thatguy posted:

I'm glad of...
it!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

thatguy posted:

I'm glad the world has people who get thousands of hours of enjoyment out of Star Citizen. That has pretty much set the bar low enough that if I ever make a game, and it is a model viewer with no clip mode, I can say it's at least as good as Star Citizen.

And then it crashes to desktop, and I can then say "There you go. You just got the 133 million dollar game experience, my friend. And it didn't cost you anything!"

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

thatguy posted:

I'm glad I'm leaving Brisbane forever.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

thatguy posted:

I'm glad that one guy outed his weird tickle fetish to bring us many laughs.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

thatguy posted:

im glad i have a job that lets me read this thread all day long instead of doing actual work

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

CrazyTolradi posted:

I'm glad I'm leaving Brisbane forever.

I'm glad you're leaving Brisbane, heading south?

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

thatguy posted:

I'm glad of my catte recovering well from getting some teeth extracted
I'm glad of recent positive happenings at work
I'm glad of staying on my diet for one month!!!
I'm glad of finding new sources of cute bunny pictures
I'm glad of Steam sales
I'm glad of this thread!

Ghostlight posted:

I'm glad I'm not an American.
And I'm glad I am an American!

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

VealCutlet posted:

I'm glad you're leaving Brisbane, heading south?
Melbourne CBD as of next Wednesday. I'm not just counting down the days, I counting down the bloody hours.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

thatguy posted:

I'm glad of the titanic and raskolnikov.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Hi everyone, hope youre all having a light hearted, emotionally balanced day. Just a quick reminder to call or visit your parents and relatives wherever possible, they love and care about you

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

CrazyTolradi posted:

Melbourne CBD as of next Wednesday. I'm not just counting down the days, I counting down the bloody hours.

Sitting on Bourke street at the moment counting down the minutes until I go home. Hope you enjoy it, can definitely say I love living in Melbourne (including the weird weather).

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I'm glad of the titanic and raskolnikov.

Why thank you, friend! Though I'm probably not nearly cool enough to be really thankful about. :)

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CrazyTolradi posted:

Farewell fellow Brisgoon - while almost anywhere has to be better than this subtropical shithole, Melbourne has to be one of the better places to go :toot:

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
(Brisbane is better than Sydney tho)

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Derek is back.

Long live King Smart.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

Lack of Gravitas posted:

(Brisbane is better than Sydney tho)

Quoted for truth.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

VealCutlet posted:

Sitting on Bourke street at the moment counting down the minutes until I go home. Hope you enjoy it, can definitely say I love living in Melbourne (including the weird weather).

I'm sorry that your Bourke street isn't even as good as Sydney's.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

thatguy posted:

Derek Smart's Nightmare Autism Battle Arena Commander

:golfclap:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

OFFICIAL STATEMENT

I am going to keep this short; though I did consider writing a blog.

First of all, I have been around and an Internet Warlord for decades now. I know the drill. I've seen flamewars errupt and evolve from BBS teletype, to badly formatted Usenet postings, to articulate blogs.

I am well versed in the ways of online discourse.

I do not support, condone, nor engage in doxing.

Aside from the fact that the law is very clear on doxing.

Back in 2013, I wrote a primer on it in fact.

And there are additional resources on specifically this, what is legal, illegal etc. READ:

Doxxing: It’s Like Hacking, But Legal

The Problem With “Doxxing”

The Illegal Activity of “Doxing”: Revealing “documents or personal information” about a person, without their permission, with the intent to Threaten, Harass, Intimidate, Shame, Humiliate or Place at Risk

Basically, the doxing and stalking laws are

Pointing out someone's social media page, isn't doxing.

Pointing out that person A is really person B under an alias, isn't doxing.

Posting material that the person themselves made public, isn't, never was, and never will be, doxing.

If the above were doxing, every single person in the media would be guilty of having committed a crime.

What MoMa did here months ago, was doxing. And it's 100% legally actionable. He posted that I had a traffic citation. There was no context or reason for it to be here in a forum where we're making fun of grown men buying JPEG space ships. He posted it with malice, and with the intent to harass and harm. The only thing he didn't do, was post the actual citation itself; but anyone incited by his posting, could very well go seek it out for themselves. They never knew about it before he posted it.

I didn't dox Deloria (now banned). Though the post has been removed here, it is still on my website (post # 4905) for anyone who cares to go and read it for themselves.

All I did was out a scammer using material they themselves posted here (e.g. this post) and on social media.

Period. End of story.

There are NO rules on SA which prohibit what I did. Not a single one. Don't take my word for it though, here, go read all the rule pages

Then FAU, after emerging from what I can only imagine must have been a meltdown recovery process, switched from "doxing" to "helldumping". Which, to me - and anyone with a brain that's in working condition - was hilarious; seeing as the latter isn't even an SA rule. That aside from the fact that the very notion of "helldumping" is so far removed from "doxing", that in and of itself, is NOT a bannable offense. Probation? Yeah, maybe' it depends on the mod.

The fact of the matter is that since FAU tried to close down this forum - and failed; he's been gunning for me because not only did I have it brought back, but I was made mod. Heck, we just had yet another spat mere months ago over this same thing.

This sub-forum is moderated on a honor system. As a mod, I never had to take any action other than probating some people (4) when they cross the line. Once, after several probates, I probated someone for 30 days. I didn't perma-ban.

This sub-forum has never - ever - broken ANY of the SA rules. We encourage off-topic posts (recipes, memes etc) because it breaks from the monotony of making GBS threads on Star Citizen and Shitizens 24-7.

A LOT of people followed me to SA and paid 10 bux to be able read what I post, interact, find the lols etc. That too is a solid fact.

Yet, somehow, for some bullshit reason, FAU is of the opinion that I am not a "good" mod. The regulars here and I had a good laugh about that on on Discord, for the sheer hilarity of it. And when pressed, like the absentee landlord, he simply couldn't point out a SINGLE reason WHY he thinks I'm not a "good" mod. Not one.

Aside from the fact that I didn't even ask to be a loving mod. In much the same way that Beer4TheBeerGod and Beet Wagon didn't get asked either. He made them mods, then installed an IK buffoon who subsequently shat up my nice sub-forum, while attracting all the rear end-clowns from FYAD and elsewhere - and who otherwise didn't even know we existed here in our niche corner.

This is bullshit. What the gently caress is the matter with you people; that a forum with such HIGH TRAFFIC and quality posters who are otherwise behaving themselves and abiding by the rules, can't be left alone?!? The money is going into Lowtax's coffers, so what do you care, and why be salty about it?

Look, I am not a stranger to being banned. Heck, I was banned TWICE on FDev for breaking the rules. And in both cases, it was a matter of a "shady" areas in which 1) I was using asterisk to bypass the bad word filter 2) I posted material from here on SA

So, if I had somehow broken an SA rule, and been banned as a result, it won't have been any big deal. I would pay the 10 bux, re-reg, and get right back into the poo poo-posting.

As I am 100% certain (and I have high priced attorneys who ensure that I don't do/say stupid poo poo that will get me arrested or sued) that I hadn't broken an SA rule, let alone guilty of doxing, I refused to re-reg on principle alone. And I made that clear to everyone who asked.

As the regulars here on my Discord can attest to, I said that I wasn't coming back here unless the ban was reversed. Then a group (7 at last count) of people (one of them being a backer here on SA who I had saved money by helping him get a Star Citizen refund) offered to pay the 10 bux if I came back. I still refused. Then some made the case that as long as I wasn't the one paying the 10 bux, it won't break my principles and that I should consider it.

So I did.

And here I am.

Nevertheless, seeing as there is a mod actively holding a grudge and who I believe is going to keep finding ways to either get me probated, banned or who I believe wants to see the forum die, I won't be as prolific a poster as I used to be because this is bullshit.

lol

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Is tane still a bad word?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Tokamak posted:

I'm sorry that your Bourke street isn't even as good as Sydney's.
True, it lacks the victims of Stimperor Baird.

I'm also glad of this thread as it provides much comedy between packing and cleaning in the shithole arse crack climate of Brisbane.

Also, 100mbit fibre at the new place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Tokamak posted:

I'm glad of...
it!

• Locked thread