Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

InediblePenguin posted:

I mean seig heiling "ironically" is still actually, literally seig heiling in real life so who gives a flying gently caress if they claim it was ~trolling~? Don't loving legitimize their bullshit by buying into the "it was just trolling" poo poo, come on

I don't think anyone here is really buying the "it was just trolling" bit though? Or are you just talking to the world in general?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

ate all the Oreos posted:

I don't think anyone here is really buying the "it was just trolling" bit though? Or are you just talking to the world in general?

I think it's like twitter where everyone just shadowboxes at a viewpoint that isn't listening. Did you know that "Um actually fascism is okay and should not be physically harmed" is a dumb viewpoint? I did, way before my twitter feed turned into a sea of people reinforcing this for the benefit of the one hypothetical follower they have who's in the group of people who "um actually" in defense of fascism.

Yes I'm bitter

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
One of the sieg-heilers supposedly wrote this blog post: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:https://colonycollapsesite.wordpress.com/2016/11/23/my-roman-salute-w-tila/. Make of it what you will.

Fututor Magnus has a new favorite as of 05:16 on Nov 24, 2016

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
mister-mean-spirited.blogspot.com/2016/11/global-warming-is-good-thing.html?m=1 Thank God we have MMS to mechanically reverse the beliefs of people he hates and pretend he's cool for doing so.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Race Realists posted:

They KNEW what the gently caress they were doing when they gave those salutes. they were trolling for the most part, and unfortunately it worked

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Legit question, is there a a way to ironically bash a fash?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

So a thing I learned about Richard Spencer

That Article posted:

...erected by Spencer's mother (who also owns the Bavarian-style mansion Spencer has lived in.)

Dude still lives at home with his parents.

^^^^*edit* No, just sincerely and safely.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

MizPiz posted:

Wrap authentic German barbed wire around the baseball bat?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

MizPiz posted:

This will never stop sounding like a euphemism for masturbating.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

MizPiz posted:

By saying bash the fash.

The antifa are the only people that have outnumbered Neo Nazis in a melee and lost.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Subjunctive posted:

I cannot find evidence that this phrase has ever been used before, in English. Can you elaborate on the meaning or origin?

Tilting at windmills means attacking something that isn't real. I'm suggesting that 'hiding in the windmill' could represent hiding behind something that you can then claim your opponent is wrong to attack. Avoiding personal criticism (like, "he's a disgusting flabby ugly dick") by hiding in a windmill made up of an repulsive ideology (like, "women who get raped deserve it") and then claiming that instances of the former are really people attacking the latter via logical fallacies.

I feel like this concept must already exist, and I think the 'reverse ad hominem by proxy' is a better term for it, but... yeah. At the time I thought of hiding in the windmill that you then claim your opponent thinks is a giant (ha ha what an rear end in a top hat) and it sort of stuck in my brain.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Somfin posted:

Tilting at windmills means attacking something that isn't real. I'm suggesting that 'hiding in the windmill' could represent hiding behind something that you can then claim your opponent is wrong to attack. Avoiding personal criticism (like, "he's a disgusting flabby ugly dick") by hiding in a windmill made up of an repulsive ideology (like, "women who get raped deserve it") and then claiming that instances of the former are really people attacking the latter via logical fallacies.

I feel like this concept must already exist, and I think the 'reverse ad hominem by proxy' is a better term for it, but... yeah. At the time I thought of hiding in the windmill that you then claim your opponent thinks is a giant (ha ha what an rear end in a top hat) and it sort of stuck in my brain.

This is the common rationalist trope that anyone complaining about horrible nerds behaving reprehensibly just hates autistic people. "Equivocation" isn't quite flavourful enough, I agree.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

divabot posted:

This is the common rationalist trope that anyone complaining about horrible nerds behaving reprehensibly just hates autistic people. "Equivocation" isn't quite flavourful enough, I agree.

I would be more sympathetic to this line of thought if it wasn't connected in the rationalsphere to arguing for a "reformed" eugenics and defending the alt-right, which is so so so much worse as far as insulting and denigrating autistic people goes.

As it is it just irritates me because it makes it harder to make the "please stop using toxic masculinity to insult people for engaging in toxic masculinity" argument because people are on guard for it to turn into gamergate apologia.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/801905587567132672

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Explain

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Fututor Magnus posted:

One of the sieg-heilers supposedly wrote this blog post: [url]http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:https://colonycollapsesite.wordpress.com/2016/11/23/my-roman-salute-w-tila/.[/url] Make of it what you will.

Better copy maybe: http://archive.is/DhEoR

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Fascists gloating over their victory.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Do fascists like Robert Anton Wilson and trolling Big Yud now? Maybe fascism is something worth getting behind after all.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Robert Anton Wilson was a huge MRA douchebag who rephrased fairly conventional wisdom (it turns out that people tend to reinforce their own belief systems!)in a way that made lovely nerds feel like they were part of the counter-culture

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Illuminatus was good.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

Illuminatus was good.

https://www.backlash.com/content/gender/1996/5-may96/wilson05.html

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

That isn't loading for me.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Illuminatus was good, though.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Doctor Spaceman posted:

That isn't loading for me.

Yeah, you gotta drop the s in https. I liked RAW when I was younger, the Illuminatus! trilogy is still good, and Discordianism is as valid a response to Trump as any, but of course he's got numerous bad opinions.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I'm the dead serious simulation argument next to "laughing at liberal creationists"

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Razorwired posted:

By saying bash the fash.

The antifa are the only people that have outnumbered Neo Nazis in a melee and lost.

Actual serious question, do you have a link?

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

MizPiz posted:

Actual serious question, do you have a link?

Sure thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Sacramento_riot

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Relevant Tangent posted:

Yeah, you gotta drop the s in https. I liked RAW when I was younger, the Illuminatus! trilogy is still good, and Discordianism is as valid a response to Trump as any, but of course he's got numerous bad opinions.

He had all bad opinions which is impressive

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

God drat, they couldn't even accidentally hurt more than one. :cripes:

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

http://econlog.econlib.org/archives/2015/09/media_misanthro.html

Scott Alexander suggests that absolute numbers may be less meaningful than rates, which has occurred to everyone who has ever looked at a bar graph, but now it's a Scott idea with a catchy name.

quote:

I feel this way about a lot of things.

Yes, show us what haunts your powerful brain.

quote:

The media is always giving us stories of how tech nerds are sexist in some way or another. But we may suspect they want to push that line regardless of whether it's true. How many tech nerds are there? A million? Ten million? How many lurid stories about harassment in Silicon Valley have you heard? Do we know if this is higher or lower than the base rate for similar industries? Whether it's going up or down? What it would look like if we actually had access to the per person rates?

1) gently caress you
2) What's the goal, to say maybe tech nerds are no less sexist than baseline sexism, which is still bad?
3) I bet he's not thinking of the "per woman" rate when he's thinking of the "per person" rate. The former would be a better measure of the effect of sexism.
4) What's the implication then? There's no problem at all? And therefore the low rates of women in tech happens because....?

Scott's like the SNL church lady but instead of Satan it's biotruths.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I think you have to be in a pretty weird place, culturally speaking, for anything on the left hand side there to count as "contrarian".

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dzhay posted:

I think you have to be in a pretty weird place, culturally speaking, for anything on the left hand side there to count as "contrarian".

Would you like to come back to my place for a coffee, maybe see my collection of strawmen?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
300 vs 30 and the fash won. Sorry America but you're terribad at bashing the fash. Stand aside and let us limeys do the dirty.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

this is like the increasingly more ironic "music power level" charts popular on imageboards

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Sax Solo posted:

http://econlog.econlib.org/archives/2015/09/media_misanthro.html

Scott Alexander suggests that absolute numbers may be less meaningful than rates, which has occurred to everyone who has ever looked at a bar graph, but now it's a Scott idea with a catchy name.

Yes, show us what haunts your powerful brain.

1) gently caress you
2) What's the goal, to say maybe tech nerds are no less sexist than baseline sexism, which is still bad?
3) I bet he's not thinking of the "per woman" rate when he's thinking of the "per person" rate. The former would be a better measure of the effect of sexism.
4) What's the implication then? There's no problem at all? And therefore the low rates of women in tech happens because....?

Scott's like the SNL church lady but instead of Satan it's biotruths.

Scott has a whole lotta sympathy and not very much empathy

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Sure there's only 30 open fash but you also have to factor in the massive police presence, and they only play for one team in those fights.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Pope Guilty posted:

Sure there's only 30 open fash but you also have to factor in the massive police presence, and they only play for one team in those fights.

Still, they only got one worth calling a "casualty". They should be ashamed of themselves.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Weren't there only like 100 cops involved? 100 + 30 against 300, they have an over 2:1 advantage and still take 6x the casualities smdh

http://www.kcra.com/article/kcra-reporter-caught-in-protest-violence/6269730

Not FascistTM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Fascist parades/marches get run outta town pretty often too