Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
Sometimes I have issues with transactions or connectivity, but I just contact them and they take care of it fairly quickly. I find the support is pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Ugh, it may not be bad with money, but bussiness trips are bad with health. So much eating out. Turns out being stingy is probably the only reason I'm not 300 lbs.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Is there a networking tips/discussion or euntrpreneurship aspirations thread?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Krunge posted:

Is there a networking tips/discussion or euntrpreneurship aspirations thread?

Maybe this fits your needs? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3438506

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Hi all, writing in this thread as if there is a better/more accurate one I've yet to find it and don't want to unnecessarily start a new thread.

Basically, I am 25 years old and my career trajectory has been a bit wild - I started in a pretty basic administrative position at a large gas/electric company, but after a few months moved to working at a SEF designing a trading platform for some exotic financial products. The SEF ran out of money unfortunately, so I moved to a mid-sized fund and worked as an assistant portfolio manager, had basically about $160m under management, did fairly simple stuff like researching stocks, staying in touch with clients, executing trades, etc.

A few various things happened at this fund that led me to working directly under a board member, who is the CEO of a publicly traded company listed over in the UK. He took a liking to me and offered to move me to his company, pretty rapidly ramping up my career development and within a few months I was placed as a Director with my own massive region to run which is what I'm doing now. This last move took me basically across the world, with the idea that I'd be out here for 1-2 years getting things running as the office was an existing company bought out by my parent company. The work is fine and very challenging, and truthfully I feel a bit inexperienced and unprepared for the role. Things are going okay for the most part and I'm learning day-by-day, but I don't see myself doing this long term, and I'd like to head back to the states probably around August of 2017 in part because my girlfriend and family are all there.

While I've been assured by my boss that he'll have a position ready for me upon return, I want to make sure that I cover all my bases. I figure I have enough high-level experience at this juncture to find a new position moving back to the US, but were I to look for one, I wouldn't know where to start as Director and Upper Management jobs I figure aren't as readily accessible on things like Indeed. While, to this point, I've moved from spot to spot based on connections I've made at each place, I figure if my boss either doesn't want me coming home or doesn't have a position for me, I won't be able to rely on their words to get me a new position.

So basically my question is this: how does a young professional go about marketing themselves? One thing I had figured was finding a recruiting agency, handing them my resume and having them do the heavy lifting. Is this a viable option? All of it can be moot, and truthfully, I don't mind if I'm unemployed for a few months come the summertime, but I do eventually want to keep this career path rolling as so far I've been quite fortunate to have things fall in place for me.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Are you on linkedin? Is the new company still in the financial industry? Recruiters should be finding you if so. Don't trust them further than you can spit but they can help you find positions - the financial industry is generally staffed by them. Knowing someone is better. If you are close to anyone at the same level who has moved on, ask them - it might feel uncomfortable but be tactful and do it anyway.

I'm not in management and haven't worked for financial firms that even really have vertical management so I can't help you much there. I don't really know how the big bank side of the industry works at all. (I'm inferring that that's what you're doing based on context) - I have to imagine that the huge bureaucratic companies are only going to be more political in how they hire managers. Definitely don't quit before you have something lined up - this is the part of your life where your career is supposed to be taking off, if that means staying in the UK a few more months, do it.

If you don't feel a bit inexperienced and unprepared for your role, that means you're complacent and settling - being out of your comfort zone is generally good.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I deactivated my LinkedIn some time ago, though I figure that is something I should restart a little ways down the line. Unfortunately the new company is not in the financial arena, though I think my experience there should still be pretty relevant.

Unfortunately the quickness of my promotions I think works against me to a degree. You say I should feel out of my element, but to some level I'd be fine moving back a step or two - most of the people in the company at a similar level to me have 15-20 years more experience doing this while receiving the same pay - 20 years ago I was watching Rugrats and hadn't even started going to school. Ideally I would have had 2-3 years more training or experience, I feel very "at float" day to day here sometimes which is part of the reason I think I'd be fine with it being a shorter gig - I oversaw the purchase of the two companies that I now operate and ideally my position is one that grows out the businesses, but it also could be swung as the person that gets things started while the company sources a more experienced hand to oversee the first few years.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Does anyone use personal capital? I use YNAB for budgeting, and have been using mint to consolidate all my accounts for easy YNAB reconciliation, but both Mint and YNAB's investment reporting leaves something to be desired. I've heard personal capital's is better than that, but it's hard to tell who is saying that for real, and who is shilling for what must be a very generous referral.

If I were to use this, I would want to stop using mint. I only use mint as a way to pick up missed transactions to YNAB(4), so I don't use any of it's more advanced features. Can PC replace that? Is their account syncing more reliable than mint's? Do they cover the same range of bank's as mint does? Is PC's reporting good enough to be worth the hassle of changing?

From what I can tell, their business model is trying to push people to their investment management services, which I wouldn't be doing. How annoying are they about trying to push that? Are there other ads?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Grumpwagon posted:

Does anyone use personal capital? I use YNAB for budgeting, and have been using mint to consolidate all my accounts for easy YNAB reconciliation, but both Mint and YNAB's investment reporting leaves something to be desired. I've heard personal capital's is better than that, but it's hard to tell who is saying that for real, and who is shilling for what must be a very generous referral.

If I were to use this, I would want to stop using mint. I only use mint as a way to pick up missed transactions to YNAB(4), so I don't use any of it's more advanced features. Can PC replace that? Is their account syncing more reliable than mint's? Do they cover the same range of bank's as mint does? Is PC's reporting good enough to be worth the hassle of changing?

From what I can tell, their business model is trying to push people to their investment management services, which I wouldn't be doing. How annoying are they about trying to push that? Are there other ads?

I use YNAB (well, Financier now) and personal capital. You can absolutely just use the free features, I don't feel like anything is too pushy. I think I got a phonecall from my representative person at PC to setup a "free initial meeting" but they weren't pushy about it when I said no. Other than that, occasionally I'll get e-mails to setup a meeting with them, but nothing overwhelming. There might be other advertising, but I don't remember any.

I use PC as basically a net worth snapshot kind of thing, I probably only log in once or twice a month. To me, it seems like it supports a good amount of banks and stuff, it supports my credit union and HSA account and various retirement accounts (Voya/Vanguard/T Rowe Price).

If you're using mint for lost transactions, you should probably just reconcile in YNAB regularly and that will keep that sorted out. I typically reconcile almost every weekday since I'll do it at work and rarely do I have issues with balances being off / missing transactions.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

dreesemonkey posted:

If you're using mint for lost transactions, you should probably just reconcile in YNAB regularly and that will keep that sorted out. I typically reconcile almost every weekday since I'll do it at work and rarely do I have issues with balances being off / missing transactions.

Sup, daily financier reconciliation buddy?

I find this to be a very satisfying behavior and an important part of my day.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Financier is good. I found a major bug and Alex gave me a free year of service.

I got a quick question I'd like some opinions on. I got like way more in my savings right now than I need for emergency fund and poo poo and I haven't been contributing to the Roth IRA I rolled my last job's 401k into for a couple years so I was thinking of dumping the $5500 for 2016 in right now.

The only debt I got now is my $17k 5.125% federal student loan and my $75k 4.625% mortgage. The conservative part of me is thinking i should dump money on my mortgage until I get down to 80% (68K) so I can dump PMI, but it's only like $15.30 a month so the math still doesn't really favor that, right?

Am I just stressin about nothin here?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

dreesemonkey posted:

That's what I mean by using it for lost transactions. I YNAB reconcile, using the balance from mint, and can check for transactions on mint, rather than the bank's website (since I have a bunch of accounts with different banks). Would PC allow that?

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I got a quick question I'd like some opinions on. I got like way more in my savings right now than I need for emergency fund and poo poo and I haven't been contributing to the Roth IRA I rolled my last job's 401k into for a couple years so I was thinking of dumping the $5500 for 2016 in right now.

The only debt I got now is my $17k 5.125% federal student loan and my $75k 4.625% mortgage. The conservative part of me is thinking i should dump money on my mortgage until I get down to 80% (68K) so I can dump PMI, but it's only like $15.30 a month so the math still doesn't really favor that, right?

I chose to pay off my >5% student loans before funding a roth. I'm not sure if that's mathematically optimal, but I knew I could pay them off pretty quickly, and I didn't like having them hanging over my head. I don't have a mortgage, but I'd be tempted to get rid of PMI if I was that close. That said, I don't think there's a bad decision there. I'd make the decision based on how quickly I could pay stuff down. My guess is the math would favor the roth contribution, but it depends on your situation and risk tolerance.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Personal capital calls me every six months or so trying to sell me something or other. I took my phone number off my account but they kept calling anyway. You'd think they might get the hint after several years of me not even answering.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
We answered years ago and told them no and they never called back. They're pretty good about it.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Was is the "syncing still worked after free trial" bug?

I think I'd max your 2016 Roth for sure, after that attacking your mortgage or student loans isn't bad either way. I'd probably attack mortgage until 20-22% LTV and then attack student loans. The ~$15 PMI is really negligible, but mentally it would bother me.

Have you thought about refinancing your mortgage? You could probably get a pretty good 15 year rate, and at the same time if it's appraised higher, you might be PMI-free anyway. Something to consider.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Thanks personal capital, next thing you're going to tell my is my dick is really small too.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
I have a question. my employer has asked me recently to change locations. this changes my commute to 15 minutes to an hour and a half, I take the bus. I'm the only person within the company without a car, and am also the only woman that works there.

The location I worked at before was doing poorly in sales. I very recently, about a month ago became assistant manager there. my employer says that he feels poor sales is either my fault or the managers fault and something has to change so he's considering switching me to the new location.

However, he has never trained me or the other managers on managerial tasks. I don't understand why he wouldn't do this first and I'm also unsure why he,'s asking me vs anyone else. everyone knows I don't own a car. he said he is willing to give me a dollar raise for this. but ultimately I will be losing 3 hours a day on the bus for maybe about 40 more dollars a week?

I'm not really convinced this is the ideal situation. and feel like I could probably leverage my situation to make it more worthwhile. for the record I do hate this job and I am applying to jobs. I actually have a second interview for a position coming up, but that is besides the point.

Advice?

Also I only mentioned im the only woman there because I feel like I'm low key dismissed much more often then my male coworkers, and I dunno

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Hooray, Turbotax told me I have a $31 federal refund due - meaning my withholdings at work are more or less perfect :toot:

However, I need to pay for Turbotax Deluxe because I have a HDHP, meaning I'm going to lose a net five dollars or so :negative:

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

I have a question. my employer has asked me recently to change locations. this changes my commute to 15 minutes to an hour and a half, I take the bus. I'm the only person within the company without a car, and am also the only woman that works there.

The location I worked at before was doing poorly in sales. I very recently, about a month ago became assistant manager there. my employer says that he feels poor sales is either my fault or the managers fault and something has to change so he's considering switching me to the new location.

However, he has never trained me or the other managers on managerial tasks. I don't understand why he wouldn't do this first and I'm also unsure why he,'s asking me vs anyone else. everyone knows I don't own a car. he said he is willing to give me a dollar raise for this. but ultimately I will be losing 3 hours a day on the bus for maybe about 40 more dollars a week?

I'm not really convinced this is the ideal situation. and feel like I could probably leverage my situation to make it more worthwhile. for the record I do hate this job and I am applying to jobs. I actually have a second interview for a position coming up, but that is besides the point.

Advice?

Also I only mentioned im the only woman there because I feel like I'm low key dismissed much more often then my male coworkers, and I dunno

You probably don't have much recourse here, apart from getting a different job. It does sound like your employer is making a poor decision to move you (hard to believe you're responsible for bad sales considering you were just promoted..), and probably should train you instead of move you. Unfortunately, once you've suggested those alternatives, it's his right to make a bad decision.

The fact that you bus to work isn't really relevant to decisions made at the office. I bike to work (and don't have a car), and my company is moving across town. It sucks, but it was my choice to bike, not something my employer chose for me. The consequences for your employer for making a decision like that is possibly having to train a new employee.

I think you have every right to be angry, but assuming you've had a 1 on 1 meeting with your employer and laid out your concerns (maybe look in the negotiation thread for how to frame the language you use), your strongest leverage is your presence. Time to get a new job! Maybe they'll respect your time and opinions there also!

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Why do you not own a car? Is this going to limit you in job-hunting? It sounds like you don't live in the sort of area where being car-free is easy.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
The lack of car does limit my job hunting. I've never owned a car, but have a license. I just never had enough capital saved for a down payment. and I'd like to do that, but saving is slow with low pay. and lovely budgeting :/

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

The lack of car does limit my job hunting. I've never owned a car, but have a license. I just never had enough capital saved for a down payment. and I'd like to do that, but saving is slow with low pay. and lovely budgeting :/

I feel you there :smith:

Depending on your area/the weather, bicycling can be a good way to save money. I picked up a beater $80 mombike on Gumtree and it paid for itself (vs taking the bus) within a couple of months, even with my student concession.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

One of us! One of us!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I'm career-stressing, if anyone feels like reading the following e/n:

A supervisory job was created at my employer, which is the only possible position left for me to move up to in the agency. I don't have any plans of ever leaving this employer as my skillset is fairly niche and I would not be able to find anything comparable locally. The position would be supervising the other members of my unit (IT), while continuing my current job duties (application developer / project manager). IMO it's a tossup between me and one of my peers. He's more or less the king of the traditional IT side (hardware/infrastructure) and I'm more the king of the application side.

Where I think I'm possibly lacking is part of the job would be creating annual budgets for IT, which the other dude pretty much already does because he knows what we'll be buying/replacing since that's his job, after all. He's also more or less directing 2 other IT staff already. Neither of those things, I feel, would be hard to learn and I've already met with department heads about getting an overview of the process.

On the other hand, I have a much better knowledge of the actual operations of the agency and am much more approachable than the other guy, in fact I have personal relationships with many co-workers outside of work which can't be said for any of my other peers. I have managed huge projects independently and am very good at my job and past reviews have reflected exactly that. Both my direct supervisor, and the other agency administrator that I work with constantly are doing the interviews, I'm just starting to panic about what they're looking for as I could see a somewhat logical position be "Well otherGuy already is heavily involved in the budgeting process and somewhat already manages two people so I guess just give it to him....."

When I'm interviewing, is there a polite way to say that I'm generally more approachable without taking direct shots at anyone, which seems like it would be poor taste? My direct supervisor, has specifically mentioned that the otherGuy is "un-superviseable" in that he does what he wants, not necessarily in a terrible-employee way, but in a "my supervisor is un-necessary" way (which he is/was). But that doesn't mean the agency hasn't made it's share of questionable decisions in the past.

On the plus side, I do like my job so if I don't get it, it wouldn't be the end of the world. It is more money than I was anticipating (maxing out ~15k higher than my current job classification - we're on pay scales here), and would be a real resume-booster that would allow me to be much more employable should I chose to go elsewhere in the future. While I would be "ok" still doing just my job, I do feel like I would be betrayed by administration for being short-sighted and choosing the otherGuy, who is typically cynical, dismissive and short with end-users but very good at his part of the job anyway.

Initially I thought I was a shoe-in, and really I should still be, but now I'm all kinds of stressed out about it.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I've seen candidates that were shoo-ins completely blow their interview by acting like the job is their birthright and not taking it seriously. The only thing you can do is nail the interview and keep a positive attitude. If your management is competent and you are the best person for the job, then it's up to you to display how and why you will be the best choice.

And don't forget to ask questions. You're also interviewing them to see if the job is what you want. It may entail certain things that you are not aware of (and may not want to be responsible for) so make sure you understand exactly what is required.

Good luck!

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Drilling down into your specific question: "is there a way to state that you're better management material than the other guy without sounding like an rear end in a top hat?" the answer is: yes. If this job is at least somewhat management, in your interview emphasize how your unique strengths in communication will allow you to do the job effectively - including motivating and engaging your direct reports, producing an effective division, demonstrating leadership, making collaberative decisions and dealing with conflict. You might be better qualified to be a manager than the other guy because of your ability to do these things

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Thank you both, I'm less panicky about the whole thing and I just have to believe that I'm the best candidate for the job and it will work out.

Nocheez posted:

I've seen candidates that were shoo-ins completely blow their interview by acting like the job is their birthright and not taking it seriously. The only thing you can do is nail the interview and keep a positive attitude. If your management is competent and you are the best person for the job, then it's up to you to display how and why you will be the best choice.

I believe I may have been overconfident before talking with my supervisor about it (before the details were ironed out), and he cautioned me about that very same thing. I think I needed that reminder. It's been a very long time since I've interviewed for anything, but at least I know the interviewers well and I'm generally good at expressing myself.

Nocheez posted:

And don't forget to ask questions. You're also interviewing them to see if the job is what you want. It may entail certain things that you are not aware of (and may not want to be responsible for) so make sure you understand exactly what is required.

While I'm sure it will be more work than I expect initially, the job is basically doing everything our previous supervisor (who will be part of the interviewing team) didn't bother with. We never had unit meetings so we really were never formally aware of whatever anyone else was working on. From an IT perspective, there wasn't much formal policy and/or training created and we have no formal disaster recovery plan documentation. Aside from that, the lack of supervision previously was more due to the fact that we're all quite capable and good at our jobs and he could get away with letting us do our own thing. Something I would very much appreciate as the supervisor, we just need to freaking meet regularly.

My only question I have so far is asking my previous supervisor what was the most challenging part of managing our unit (probably in general terms).

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Drilling down into your specific question: "is there a way to state that you're better management material than the other guy without sounding like an rear end in a top hat?" the answer is: yes. If this job is at least somewhat management, in your interview emphasize how your unique strengths in communication will allow you to do the job effectively - including motivating and engaging your direct reports, producing an effective division, demonstrating leadership, making collaberative decisions and dealing with conflict. You might be better qualified to be a manager than the other guy because of your ability to do these things

My biggest weakness is exactly what you did: business bullshit speak (no offense), of which I would need to learn for developing policy, writing job descriptions, etc. Hell, even doing my resume has been a challenge. That's going to be my answer for "What weaknesses do you have", I will try to refrain from calling it business bullshit speak though.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

dreesemonkey posted:

My biggest weakness is exactly what you did: business bullshit speak (no offense), of which I would need to learn for developing policy, writing job descriptions, etc. Hell, even doing my resume has been a challenge. That's going to be my answer for "What weaknesses do you have", I will try to refrain from calling it business bullshit speak though.

.. have you ever learned to do something that you hadn't done before? Did you learn about the process of doing it before you tried it? Did you learn what things were called, how to do them, and the advantages and disadvantages to the ways they were commonly done? Did you think of learning that process as "bullshit?" What a joke.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

.. have you ever learned to do something that you hadn't done before? Did you learn about the process of doing it before you tried it? Did you learn what things were called, how to do them, and the advantages and disadvantages to the ways they were commonly done? Did you think of learning that process as "bullshit?" What a joke.

I think you feel my attitude is poor or lacking for this position by assuming the working culture is something it's not. We're a smallish non-profit agency (less than 200 employees), no one here talks like that. I've worked here almost 15 years, I would have picked up on it if it were the norm.

I'm merely saying in those cases it is employed (job descriptions, policy, or plans) I've had little experience and will need to improve.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
As per the thread title I am pleased to inform you all that I have indeed not eaten out today. Or any other day this year. 0 takeout lunches saves me :10bux: a day that I put to savings instead.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Potrzebie posted:

As per the thread title I am pleased to inform you all that I have indeed not eaten out today. Or any other day this year. 0 takeout lunches saves me :10bux: a day that I put to savings instead.

That is pretty impressive. I have not eaten out this week (not uncommon) and averaged just under 1500 calories per day (uncommon), I'm quite pleased with that. I'm hoping to not do too much damage this weekend.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I ate out once this year, but I also just spent like 6k on a computer and tools and stuff for a job I've taken up north. Please shame me!

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I've changed a lot since I started this thread lol.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I took all the money I saved by not eating out and instead spent it on insurance deductibles. :haw:

:suicide:

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I just filed my taxes and am getting way too much money back. I am bad with W-4s.

On the bright side, we're not really hurting for anything so it's like a nice bonus. Most of it will go to saving for our next vehicle, I will probably buy my wife a new phone unsubsidized since hers is ~4 years old at this point and buy a new water heater for our house. Yay being an adult.

e: a word

dreesemonkey fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 29, 2017

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

We just paid our first mortgage payment. I've looked at the amortization table before but it's still weird to send off $860 and only see the loan balance dip by like a third of that.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

pig slut lisa posted:

We just paid our first mortgage payment. I've looked at the amortization table before but it's still weird to send off $860 and only see the loan balance dip by like a third of that.

Just wait until your first mortgage tax docs.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The depressing truth is you don't really start paying off the loan in a substantial way until you've had a 30 mortgage for like 10 years. If the home price isn't going up or is decreasing it can be a pretty long grind.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
With rates as low as they are you should try to get a 15-year loan. The payments are not much higher, but you pay far less in interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

We are paying bi weekly and our interest is caculated monthly, I think we are ending up saving 3.5 years on the tail end.

Also, our first Mortgage payment came out 2 weeks before our Bank contact told us it would which was quite the surprise!