Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
panda clue
May 23, 2014
I used to be a huge FF fan until 13 (which I quit about 3 hours in because holy poo poo the storytelling was godawful). Should I get this crap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I dunno, if you want

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

panda clue posted:

I used to be a huge FF fan until 13 (which I quit about 3 hours in because holy poo poo the storytelling was godawful). Should I get this crap?

No, it's a blueballing aggressive waste of time.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
just kidding, I have no impulse control and already preordered on amazon. I just hope it doesn't suck... please don't suck... I can't take another FF heartbreak :negative:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's going to be fun, friend.

lol I haven't even played Judgment Disc

Barudak
May 7, 2007

panda clue posted:

just kidding, I have no impulse control and already preordered on amazon. I just hope it doesn't suck... please don't suck... I can't take another FF heartbreak :negative:

It's gonna be the worst in the series.

Also, consider running through FF13 again but skipping literally every single one of its atrocious garbage cutscenes because the combat system in it is real good, it's just saddled with garbage literally everything else sweet mamma jamma even the loving item shop is hosed up.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

panda clue posted:

The best decision would be to keep your expectations in check, pass the time by playing other great games, and probably wait a year or so to get a discounted GotY edition of FFXV from an Amazon sale that is fully patched with all of the DLC intact.

But I'm sure doing the complete opposite wouldn't hurt.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If we were robots, never buy games until 3 years pass.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Barudak posted:

It's gonna be the worst in the series.

Also, consider running through FF13 again but skipping literally every single one of its atrocious garbage cutscenes because the combat system in it is real good, it's just saddled with garbage literally everything else sweet mamma jamma even the loving item shop is hosed up.

The combat is repetitive and random battles take like 10-15 minutes even when played perfectly.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nanomashoes posted:

The combat is repetitive and random battles take like 10-15 minutes even when played perfectly.

If you play as aggressively wrongly as possible, doing everything you can to stall for time, sure I guess that could happen although given bosses will instant game-over you if you try that it should tip you off that's not what you're supposed to be doing. If you're actually using the combat system to its fullest extent even boss fights are sub 5 minutes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nanomashoes posted:

This is literally the opposite of the truth.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Managed to get an early disc copy - it's pretty fun so far (although I'm only like 2h in). Managed to find one dungeon that I think is optional in the very first area. Abandoned mine, pretty creepy and atmospheric. The fun boyz club also has a bunch of dialogue that responds to the dungeon, too - they call stuff out as you walk around and comment on what's happening.

More description of the dungeon, if you want to be spoiled: The mine is filled with level 7 goblins that will run around in mine carts and hit you with them, ambush you, etc., and there's one level 52 samurai motherfucker that just comes out of nowhere and ambushes you. Clearly something you're supposed to come back to later in the game. Scared the living poo poo out of me, though, and ambient music really helps .

If there are a bunch of dungeons like this in the game (and other leaks seem to indicate there are), then I don't give a gently caress about the story, 10/10 GOTY/Worst Final Fantasy Ever.

Edit: Oh, and the game makes really good use of HDR, so if you have an HDR set definitely turn it on in the options.

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 23, 2016

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

As someone who watched Kingsglaive, I'm pretty sure there's literally nothing to be gained from watching Kingsglaive or Kingsglaive excerpts except seeing what the bad guys and the princess look like.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I also watched it, and I just want to finish the game to see if it can be considered properly optional or not. I'm okay with games where you launch into evolved/progressed situations like FF15/Minesweeper.exe

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Kingsglaive is basically the Star Wars Rogue 1 of story importance. You know what happens at the end, it's just the very long version of a cutscene you get at the end of chapter....2? Or whenever the newspaper scene is.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

For those who have played the game, how are the fashion options?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Barudak posted:

If you play as aggressively wrongly as possible, doing everything you can to stall for time, sure I guess that could happen although given bosses will instant game-over you if you try that it should tip you off that's not what you're supposed to be doing. If you're actually using the combat system to its fullest extent even boss fights are sub 5 minutes.

No, I got 5 stars on almost every fight, and the biggest factor is time.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
As I remember it the only fights that got tediously long were in the final stage, and then they were about 5 minutes each, tops.

FF13's combat is still a slog because basic battles still tend to take way too long and it makes the repetition wearying.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I haven't played XIII since release so I could very well be forgetting something, but off the top of my head I can't remember any particularly tedious fights. There were a couple bosses where I wasn't paying attention to the mechanics that took a bit longer than normal, but I don't remember any of them being 15 minutes or whatever, even then. The closest I can think of are those Long Gui things, and those are optional. They also get a lot easier later in the game when all you have left to do is farm stuff if you're a completionist.

I haven't bothered to play the XV demo since I kinda want to go through the beginning of the game fresh, but from what I've seen of it, the combat looks interesting. I like the idea of making it more interactive, even if it doesn't end up being super deep or challenging. Hell, some of my favorite games in the series are ones you could realistically beat by doing nothing but using regular attacks 90% of the time.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Just preordered this because I thought it came out tomorrow night but it comes out next week gently caress welp that's my story thanks for reading.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nanomashoes posted:

No, I got 5 stars on almost every fight, and the biggest factor is time.

If you're taking 15-20 minutes on random fights you're not getting five stars. The actual math behind how the ranking requirements are determined doesn't work that way since it's based off stats.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

If you have an xbone, microsoft made a pricing mistake and have FF15 at 35 bucks right now: https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Final-Fantasy-XV-Day-One-Edition-for-Xbox-One/productID.5061286400

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Kingsglaive is super boring but it does help with the "who's who and what's what" if you haven't read anything about FFXV's setting and plot

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/11/22/final-fantasy-15-director-apologizes-for-leaks-looking-into-legal-action
Tabata is threatening legal action against people who spoiled the game because the ending is so mind numbingly stupid it's making people cancel their pre-orders. The review embargo ends a day before the game comes out. Square knows it's bad, guys, and they're trying to keep you from knowing.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Nanomashoes posted:

Tabata is threatening legal action against people who spoiled the game because the ending is so mind numbingly stupid it's making people cancel their pre-orders. The review embargo ends a day before the game comes out. Square knows it's bad, guys, and they're trying to keep you from knowing.

lol

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Nanomashoes posted:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/11/22/final-fantasy-15-director-apologizes-for-leaks-looking-into-legal-action

The ending is good actually.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Oh no. A bad ending, the only thing that matters, to a jrpg.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

It's been in development hell for 10 years with 2 different directors. They've already dropped the price to 35 dollars. These are not the signs of a good game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's not even bad it, it's like deciding that FF 7 is poo poo because the last fight against Sephiroth is a gimme where you just use Omnislash on him.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Nanomashoes posted:

It's been in development hell for 10 years with 2 different directors. They've already dropped the price to 35 dollars. These are not the signs of a good game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nanomashoes posted:

At least put some effort in

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Tae posted:

If you have an xbone, microsoft made a pricing mistake and have FF15 at 35 bucks right now: https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Final-Fantasy-XV-Day-One-Edition-for-Xbox-One/productID.5061286400

I jumped on this, what's the odds they actually let this price go through and not correct it or cancel the orders?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Soul Glo posted:

I jumped on this, what's the odds they actually let this price go through and not correct it or cancel the orders?

Uhh 100%?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

At least put some effort in

His history suggests he is unironically stupid.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Norns posted:

Uhh 100%?

Really? Does MS have a history of letting pricing errors go through (is this even a pricing error?)? I usually see people in threads jumping on stuff like that and then posting later going "Welp, that got canceled."

They sent me an order confirmation, but my card doesn't get charged until it ships, so there's like a good solid six days here for it to get canceled, looks like. I picked the Standard free shipping, dunno if that would even get here on launch day or not.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Nanomashoes posted:

Versus 13 no longer exists. FF15 as it currently exists has been in development since 2012. Please try harder.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Tae posted:

His history suggests he is unironically stupid.

I know that we think far otherwise, and hold them most part wise men that are in authority, princes, magistrates, [184]rich men, they are wise men born, all politicians and statesmen must needs be so, for who dare speak against them? And on the other, so corrupt is our judgment, we esteem wise and honest men fools. Which Democritus well signified in an epistle of his to Hippocrates: [185]the Abderites account virtue madness, and so do most men living. Shall I tell you the reason of it? [186]Fortune and Virtue, Wisdom and Folly, their seconds, upon a time contended in the Olympics; every man thought that Fortune and Folly would have the worst, and pitied their cases; but it fell out otherwise. Fortune was blind and cared not where she stroke, nor whom, without laws, Audabatarum instar, &c. Folly, rash and inconsiderate, esteemed as little what she said or did. Virtue and Wisdom gave [187]place, were hissed out, and exploded by the common people; Folly and Fortune admired, and so are all their followers ever since: knaves and fools commonly fare and deserve best in worldlings' eyes and opinions. Many good men have no better fate in their ages: Achish, 1 Sam. xxi. 14, held David for a madman. [188]Elisha and the rest were no otherwise esteemed. David was derided of the common people, Ps. ix. 7, I am become a monster to many. And generally we are accounted fools for Christ, 1 Cor. xiv. We fools thought his life madness, and his end without honour, Wisd. v. 4. Christ and his Apostles were censured in like sort, John x.; Mark iii.; Acts xxvi. And so were all Christians in [189]Pliny's time, fuerunt et alii, similis dementiae, &c. And called not long after, [190]Vesaniae sectatores, eversores hominum, polluti novatores, fanatici, canes, malefici, venefici, Galilaei homunciones, &c. 'Tis an ordinary thing with us, to account honest, devout, orthodox, divine, religious, plain-dealing men, idiots, asses, that cannot, or will not lie and dissemble, shift, flatter, accommodare se ad eum locum ubi nati sunt, make good bargains, supplant, thrive, patronis inservire; solennes ascendendi modos apprehendere, leges, mores, consuetudines recte observare, candide laudare, fortiter defendere, sententias amplecti, dubitare de nullus, credere omnia, accipere omnia, nihil reprehendere, caeteraque quae promotionem ferunt et securitatem, quae sine ambage felicem, reddunt hominem, et vere sapientem apud nos; that cannot temporise as other men do, [191]hand and take bribes, &c. but fear God, and make a conscience of their doings. But the Holy Ghost that knows better how to judge, he calls them fools. The fool hath said in his heart, Psal. liii. 1. And their ways utter their folly, Psal. xlix. 14. [192]For what can be more mad, than for a little worldly pleasure to procure unto themselves eternal punishment? As Gregory and others inculcate unto us.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nanomashoes posted:

The same could be said about your birth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
It was really weird how Bad Movie Kingsglaive had Lena Headey playing a nice princess I kept waiting for her to start schemin'.

• Locked thread