Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just watched the Pokémon Generations shorts and it made me appreciate again how great Pokémon Sun & Moon are. :allears: I never really got into Gen IV, and with Gen V I felt like "welp, guess I don't like Pokémon anymore" because I hated all the new Pokémon designs (the style in general) and the weird-rear end story. Gen VI was okay, although pretty forgettable but then suddenly Sun & Moon happens and it's so good and everything is great again. The new designs are awesome, the environments are beautiful, the story is great, the music is amazing and everything is so happy and cute!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Walrus Pete posted:

It sure is. Congrats (don't even try to damage it unless you have false swipe, you will crit and it will die)

I have false swipe and it's safely in my Box :)

It's a shiny Morelull. I'm sort of torn on adding it to my team because I kind of already have a very dedicated grass type Pokémon. I guess it won't hurt to have two and get some fairy representation.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

:negative: There was a guy in my festival plaza who had a bunch of clothes in colors I don't have and he offered me a yellow backpack, which I didn't have the FC for and he couldn't be added to my VIP list. Also the guy in there with the yellow aviators swapped to mirrored yellow shades.

This whole thing with version exclusive outfits is disappointing me hard.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Oooof, yeaaahhh... *inhales sharply through clenched teeth* Grass pokemon. Graaaassssss pokemon. Grass. Pokemon. Hm. *taps butt of pen on desk several times* Grass pokemon... Not too sure about those.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Countblanc posted:

Oooof, yeaaahhh... *inhales sharply through clenched teeth* Grass pokemon. Graaaassssss pokemon. Grass. Pokemon. Hm. *taps butt of pen on desk several times* Grass pokemon... Not too sure about those.
Torterra is good and also my friend

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm resetting for Nihilego's HP type send help

e: lol got it on my second try, HP ice get hosed garchomp

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Your Computer posted:

I just watched the Pokémon Generations shorts and it made me appreciate again how great Pokémon Sun & Moon are. :allears: I never really got into Gen IV, and with Gen V I felt like "welp, guess I don't like Pokémon anymore" because I hated all the new Pokémon designs (the style in general) and the weird-rear end story. Gen VI was okay, although pretty forgettable but then suddenly Sun & Moon happens and it's so good and everything is great again. The new designs are awesome, the environments are beautiful, the story is great, the music is amazing and everything is so happy and cute!

Am I the only person that really liked X and Y? A lot of neat new Pokemon designs, a ton of fun new mechanics, diversions, and battle styles (many of which were discarded or relegated to the postgame this time around), a story that felt like it was ripped from some random fantasy RPG (which felt novel and interesting when mixed with Pokemon, the doomsday weapon in particular was a nice touch), and while some of the NPCs were kinda blah, a lot of them were pretty interesting (I'll admit to liking your little gang of friends). I'll also admit that in terms of layout and environment design, Kalos is my favorite region, especially Lumiose City, which had both the size and number of different locations in it to really feel like a big city. Plus it introduced the Fairy-type, finally making dragons less of a pain in the rear end.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

EclecticTastes posted:

Am I the only person that really liked X and Y? A lot of neat new Pokemon designs, a ton of fun new mechanics, diversions, and battle styles (many of which were discarded or relegated to the postgame this time around), a story that felt like it was ripped from some random fantasy RPG (which felt novel and interesting when mixed with Pokemon, the doomsday weapon in particular was a nice touch), and while some of the NPCs were kinda blah, a lot of them were pretty interesting (I'll admit to liking your little gang of friends). I'll also admit that in terms of layout and environment design, Kalos is my favorite region, especially Lumiose City, which had both the size and number of different locations in it to really feel like a big city. Plus it introduced the Fairy-type, finally making dragons less of a pain in the rear end.

Every group of fans either loves the current thing and hates the previous thing, or loves the previous this and hates the current thing. Once they settle into a pattern, they will continue it regardless of however many new iterations come out. Pokemon falls into the first category.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm resetting for Nihilego's HP type send help

e: lol got it on my second try, HP ice get hosed garchomp

So can you use ultra beasts on battle spot? Are we going to have another genie situation?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I think B2/W2 is still my favorite but SuMo is quite good and X/Y are right up there. I appreciate Gen 1 as something you can sorta play through quickly and mindlessly, but don't really like 2 and 4. 3 I'm indifferent to. Bam.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Also X & Y didn't have you resort to lovely ways to try and level your 'mons. Whoever thought it was a good idea to bring back the GenV XP scaling and no easy way to level your 'mons (Audinos/Le Wow/Blissey Bases/O-Powers) while gating the Hyper Training behind having L100 pokemon should have a long hard look at themselves.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I loved X and Y, but at least 60% of that was clothing choices and Pokemon-Aime. Also Pokebank so I could actually move dudes between games without buying a second 3ds.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Night Blade posted:

So can you use ultra beasts on battle spot? Are we going to have another genie situation?

I think so though I haven't actually tried it
and yes probably but all the UBs are universally cooler than the genies by a factor of like 1000

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

EclecticTastes posted:

I liked the game (and like you say, it introduced a lot of great stuff! Fairy is my favorite type now, the dress-up was amazing, the mechanics and gameplay was good) but now that it has been a while since I played it I literally can't remember anything about it :( I remember that it was set in Not France and had a bunch of rich people and gaudy buildings (not my favorite thing) and.. that's about it. I'm probably going to replay it some time after I get tired of SuMo post-game though, so maybe that opinion will change? As for the Pokémon designs, I remember liking a lot of the pre-evolution designs but that so many were ruined by really ugly evolutions :negative:

Gen 1 and 2 have a special place in my heart because I was a kid at the time, but this is the first time since then that I've enjoyed a Pokémon game this much besides just for collecting and making numbers go up. Basically what I'm saying is just that "this game was made for me." drrrrr drrrrr drrrr

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
A list of unobtainable Egg Moves until Pokebank comes out.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Tornhelm posted:

Also X & Y didn't have you resort to lovely ways to try and level your 'mons. Whoever thought it was a good idea to bring back the GenV XP scaling and no easy way to level your 'mons (Audinos/Le Wow/Blissey Bases/O-Powers) while gating the Hyper Training behind having L100 pokemon should have a long hard look at themselves.

My Moon team is consistently ten levels higher than anything a trainer has thrown at me, though I'm using the Exp Share. :shrug:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Gladion: :madmax:
Hau: :D
Faba: :ohdear:
Player: :geno:

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

I deeply enjoyed X/Y and am sad that it never got a Z.

Hey Smogon nerds: what are some breedable Alolan Pokémon that are clearly worth using in OU and/or Ubers? I know who the last few gen's best murder monsters were and want to prioritize breeding Alolan ones. (UBs don't count since they can't lay eggs)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

extra row of teeth posted:

Hey Smogon nerds: what are some breedable Alolan Pokémon that are clearly worth using in OU and/or Ubers? I know who the last few gen's best murder monsters were and want to prioritize breeding Alolan ones. (UBs don't count since they can't lay eggs)

Toxapex, probably Bewear, Kommo-o, and Mimikyu. Maybe Comfey, Shiionic or whatever it's name is, and Alolan Ninetales

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

cheetah7071 posted:

Every group of fans either loves the current thing and hates the previous thing, or loves the previous this and hates the current thing. Once they settle into a pattern, they will continue it regardless of however many new iterations come out. Pokemon falls into the first category.

I have so far liked all the Pokemon generations except I wasn't a huge fan of most of the new Pokemon in Gen V and thought the story was a little iffy, but I can't say I hated it (Black 2 was definitely better, though). Besides that, I'd say each generation generally improves over the previous one in an overall sense, though I'll admit there's stuff from Gens IV and VI that I really want back (most notably Super Training and my Villa, except with elements of Secret Bases incorporated, kinda like a Pokemon version of My Castle from Fire Emblem Fates). And, while I love Gen VII so far, now that I'm in the postgame, it's feeling very insular, for lack of a better word. There doesn't seem to have been much consideration made for players who've been playing a long time and are going to be transferring up multiple hundreds of Pokemon. Evolution items and Mega Stones mostly require Battle Tree (which just isn't fun for a lot of players), they didn't even pay enough attention to include all 18 plates for Arceus, and so on. Taken by itself, SuMo is a masterpiece, but in terms of how it fits into the series as a whole, I think VI did a much better job at making me excited to get all my Pokemon transferred up. At the very least, I'm going to have to evolve a lot of my Pokemon before transfer, to make sure I don't run out of valuable evolution items, and then breed the evolved forms to complete my 'dex.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Toxapex is a good defensive Pokemon to make use of, but Merciless is nothing more than a terrible gimmick. Regenerator is the way to go, but that means hunting down an Hidden Ability Mareanie, which is painful to pull off.

Alolan Marowak is a pretty good anti meta Pokemon at the moment, but that might not be the case once things settle down. (Especially since there are a few crazy Pokemon still running about in OU.)

Mazerunner posted:

Gladion: :madmax:
Hau: :D
Faba: :ohdear:
Player: :geno:

You mean

Player: :downs:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Man, people really love re-gifting their wonder trade trash. You should throw them in a box with the others and enjoy that daily Moomoo Milk from the tourist bureau's lottery.

I've attached festival tickets to the thrash I sent off so far. I'm sure I'll miss the free FC later on but for know I like the feeling that the person on the opposite end got at least something out of the trade.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I'm focusing on going through the game before exploring most of the game's deeper features, but I kinda love the SOS system. It's very silly. It hasn't yet caused my team to wipe out, but then I'm always a bit overleveled now. Also, I got an underleveled Shelgon (lv 16, lol), so yeah, love it forever. also just kept running into Panchams that like to summon Pangoros tonight. Caught the first one I saw, and the next few were bags of experience.

My big issue is an embarrassment of riches in terms of usable Pokemon. I did a team rotation in my first run of X, and I remember that fondly. But here is the thing about that - I got bogged down at multiple points making sure all of my friends were equally leveled. Every time I'd make a tough call and swap one out of the party, I'd catch another one that I'd want to try out.

ugggh.

as I write this, also caught a level 16 Gyarados in Paniola Town.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mierenneuker posted:

Man, people really love re-gifting their wonder trade trash.

I've made an effort to breed tons of Pokémon and hand them out in Wonder Trade. My latest batch was about 30 Komalas named "A Hug" (You received A Hug!) :3: I've also delivered a couple of boxes worth of Passimian and Oranguru, some Honedges, Castforms and Goomys.

I know I shouldn't expect to get anything in return, but I probably have 3 boxes worth of Yungoos now so my next project is breeding Trubbish, naming it "Literal Garbage" and throwing them at people in Wonder Trade.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

The worst aspect of X&Y was team flare and the lack of development for half the characters because there were too drat many. The rest of it was pretty good. Good visuals, quick clean battles, loving excellent music oh my God the loving best, and I loved almost every pokemon design, like only one or two were "meh" to me. New type and game mechanics were interesting. But it was also disappointing there wasn't a really good creepy place in game especially bad when it seems like they're setting up for one only for it to be a lame joke and some dude asking for a hand out. Difficulty curve was much better this time around and they've improved the writing dramatically.

I also hate Lysandre's guts. Like yeah there've been some pretty reprehensible dudes in pokemon but something about his nonchalant fascism and self righteousness is obnoxious to me.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Good thing I kept all those rare candies so I can stuff them all into my friend. I was too close on missing out on being able to evolve cubone into a strong, lightning catching ghost.

Also, who's idea was it to give Stufful klutz, or any ability other than fluffy. Just awful.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I wasn't expecting an Alolan Golem to do this but I suppose its only appropriate;

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2017-482311616

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Also, who's idea was it to give Stufful klutz, or any ability other than fluffy. Just awful.

Its one of those joke abilities they never expect you to actually use.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Okay so after chaining for a half hour I gave up, and I caught a female Naive Bagon. Also, I have a Ditto, I can make them breed now, right? I've literally never bred any Pokemon before, so I'm not entirely certain how it works.

Anybody want a Bagon egg? I caught the mother in a Dusk Ball, if you care about that sort of thing.

e: Two eggs gotten so far, I guess I've figured that out. Going to bed, but shoot me a PM if you want one, I can get more out tomorrow. Also, I'm not entirely sure how to go about trading in this game yet, so if you want an egg don't be afraid to enlighten me on what info I'll need to get in order to make the trade happen.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Nov 24, 2016

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

It's raining on Exeggcutor Island - - is there a specific pokemon that SOS calls Sliggoo and/or Castform? Or do they just show up? Serebii is a bit confusing to me.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ROFL Octopus posted:

Make the next game star Hau and Gladion on a road trip.

Sun Moon 2 will be a game about Hau and Gladion going on a trip around the pokeworld to visit Lilie.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Super Late but one wish I kind of have in retrospect for the final boss

Fused Lusamine still tosses out her 5 pokemon, but when you faint the fifth one the bar shows up and a new pokeball appears and she just slides into frame so you actually end up fighting that UB Form

Probably dumb but would of been neat at the same time I think :v:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I'm... just going to leave this here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Tt0GMXZ7hg

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I was all ready to settle in and start grinding out eggs so I could get a pangoro with a good nature.

First egg I hatch, adamant pancham.

Well ok then!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Is Rockruff a night catch in Ten Carat Hill's Farthest Hollow? Every guide I'm looking at says it's a 20% appearance rate but I have yet to see it during in-game daytime.

Edit: And like clockwork it appears after I make this post. :downs:

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Nov 24, 2016

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
wait, how does trading works in this game? I really want a rowlet even though I try not to use two starters in a team. it's just too cute.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Tired Moritz posted:

wait, how does trading works in this game? I really want a rowlet even though I try not to use two starters in a team. it's just too cute.

I don't know all the details of it but you can trade with people on your friends list from the festival Plaza.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I'm mincing around Hawaii in pink capris, a pink tank top and pink socks I got from the clothes store in Hau'oli City but Captain Ilima is somehow still outgaying me??! What the hell

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I know people have complained about this already but it needs to be repeated:

The fact that they made all the cool new pokemon like 5% spawn rates that you wouldn't know about unless you checked is incredibly stupid. You want people to use the new ones! Like if I didn't look up where Stufful was I wouldn't have him yet and he's my favorite by far.

Otherwise it's way too easy to settle on your old favorites, I'm actually slowly kicking out all of my pokemon that aren't new to Gen7

greatn posted:

Does raising stats by one have a big difference? Or do you mean one step like using agility raises speed?

I was kind of hoping normalize with the money move would just quadruple my money.

Yeah one "stage", meaning 50%. Agility, Swords Dance, Nasty plot raise by two "stages" so they double the stat.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Countblanc posted:

High Horsepower is a super lame signature move but at least it ignores Grassy Terrain. It should be 80 power with a self heal or lower Special Attack

The main gimmick is that in doubles it doesn't hit your ally and they're just going all-in on assuming doubles is the only style that matters for competitive

Actually this is probably the generation I try out doubles myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

El Burbo posted:

Team Skull is the best team in a while

They're not supposed to be serious

I got tired of Wacky Intro -> literally one pokemon -> whooooooah you won after a while

Guzma owns tho and his Golisopod is cool af