Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Bethesda's QA is about on par with their writing, voice acting, combat systems and general game design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Can you choose what Pokemon are your ride Pokemon? I always thought it was funny you could be a 12 year old riding a literal god that created the world, then some dude with a belt full of caterpie would still challenge you to a fight.

I have my doubts about that "literal god" story. There's a lot of "well actually MY pokemon is a sword that BREAKS impenetrable armor" stuff going on in the pokedex. That and spooky ghost stories. And the pokedex is famous for all its mon weights being complete nonsense. I'm not sure these so-called pokemon "professors" even have a peer review system. Sometimes I doubt they even write the pokedex entries themselves, because a lot of that stuff reads like they just passed that assignment on to a 12-year-old.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

m2pt5 posted:

Skyrim has so many bugs, there's a huge community mod that fixes a lot of them that the official patches didn't. The patch (for the main game and all three DLCs) is a 171MB download, 579MB unzipped. Even with all that it's still buggy as hell, and mods tend to make it worse.

Most open world games are buggy as hell to some degree or another. Even if you get into a penis-measuring length over which is the buggiest that doesn't particularly change the fact that basically none of them are particularly stable and the more complex they get the less stable they are. There are obviously better developers on the market than Bethesda but none of them released even a near-perfect product. If you're not going to tolerate glitches and broken content in a large game then you're going to have an absurdly narrow list of games to play. It's just up to the game to be good enough on its own merits to justify you putting up with that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tunahead posted:

I have my doubts about that "literal god" story. There's a lot of "well actually MY pokemon is a sword that BREAKS impenetrable armor" stuff going on in the pokedex. That and spooky ghost stories. And the pokedex is famous for all its mon weights being complete nonsense. I'm not sure these so-called pokemon "professors" even have a peer review system. Sometimes I doubt they even write the pokedex entries themselves, because a lot of that stuff reads like they just passed that assignment on to a 12-year-old.

You jest (maybe?) but there is a fair bit of that ingame. Generally when you hear of a pokemon being a god of some kind, like Mew being the progenitor of all pokemon or Arceus creating the universe, it's probably bunk. Occasionally you will see pokemon do truly batshit nuts stuff that living creatures probably shouldn't be able to do, like bend time and distort the fabric of the universe, which sells it a bit. But overall when the game calls a pokemon a deity you can probably treat it kind of like a religious belief- if you wanna believe that Regigigas is made of the pure elements of nature, cool, but there's not much way you can prove it now can you!

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
also wailord is a drat blimp it can be less dense than air if it wants to.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Bethesda makes fun games that millions of people enjoy and the small cadre of Internet people who are so mad about that that half a decade later they will still launch into a bitter rant the moment Bethesda is even mentioned is glorious. :allears:

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

Most open world games are buggy as hell to some degree or another.

Patch notes kind of qualify as a neat little thing - fixed: jaguar floats across screen at treetop level, etc etc. Even when they're less nonsensical it's often still entertaining - crazy situations and sentences that make no sense without the context - as long as it's not just from terrible QA. (Geez, I never did get around to playing The Precursors.)

And like you said, as an open-world game, Fallout was hardly perfect in its older incarnations:

quote:

-The car and the trunk will no longer become separated.
-Slavers die and now STAY DEAD when killed by the slaves you are hunting!
-Player can complete the spleen seed even if he is a Hubologist.
-Fixed problem with party members dying on map exits, causing Miria or any
party member dying in the toilet explosion and then following you around the
game forever.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Guy Mann posted:

Bethesda makes fun games that millions of people enjoy and the small cadre of Internet people who are so mad about that that half a decade later they will still launch into a bitter rant the moment Bethesda is even mentioned is glorious. :allears:

And as we all know, if lots of people like something it can't be bad. When has that ever happened before!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Elfgames posted:

also wailord is a drat blimp it can be less dense than air if it wants to.

Doesn't Onyx have the density of hydrogen?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Doesn't Onyx have the density of hydrogen?

...no, it has the density of silicon dioxide, on average.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Guy Mann posted:

CJacobs posted:

And as we all know, if lots of people like something it can't be bad. When has that ever happened before!

*sproing*

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

CJacobs posted:

what about dark souls

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Samovar posted:

Chemists hide in our midst. :tinfoil:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Now now now it's bad when a dragon gets stuck in a building but it's no :hitler:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

quite stretched out posted:

what about dark souls

*thousands of gamers' ears unconsciously perk up*

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Samovar posted:

Dammit I meant Onix.

Bulbapedia gives Onix's length as 8.8m and it's weight as 210kg. If we assume it's about a metre in diameter that gives it a volume of 28 cubic metres, and a density of 7.5 kg m^-3. Even if we drop it to half a metre in diameter that's still a density of only 30.

I would make a joke that Onix should be renamed Pumice, but even Pumice is 250 kg m^-3.

At a density of 30 kg/m^3 Onix would float in a lake of liquid hydrogen. And at 7.5 he would float in room temperature tungsten hexafluoride, a gas.

Strom Cuzewon has a new favorite as of 17:20 on Nov 24, 2016

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Surprisingly, if you ask a thousand random people of the love Hitler, a lot of them will admit to the fact that, yes, they do love Hitler. But get a load of this, his thousand year reich didn't even come close to lasting a thousand years! Ha!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

This masterful trap
In this thread of all threads
Where people speak of the good and the bad (but preferably good) things in games.

Such divine trickery

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Been playing RA3 Uprising challenge mode, where you need to beat various skirmish style battles with modifiers and handicaps. It's overall pretty goofy. There are a few amusing bits spread throughout the challenges. For example, the battle against a bomber focused enemy has a countdown for the "next annoying paradrop," the level based around war bears is titled "the number 1 threat to America," and on the level based around terminally ill people put in life sustaining powered armor, there is one in the middle of the map with a tiny Yuriko (anime girl) following it.

The base game is still the best. Tim Curry as the Premier of the Soviet Union,Takei as the Emperor of anime Japan, and J.K. Simmons as the president of the United States. And you can tell they are all loving their roles.

Tiberius Thyben has a new favorite as of 19:46 on Nov 24, 2016

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Tiberius Thyben posted:

The base game is still the best. Tim Curry as the Premier of the Soviet Union,Takei as the Emperor of anime Japan, and J.K. Simmons as the president of the United States. And you can tell they are all loving their roles.

Tim Curry's best performance of his entire career

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Sq1Nr58hM

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

quite stretched out posted:

what about dark souls

perhaps it is YOU who are bad!!!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Arx Monolith posted:

Unless you cheat, get access to everything and use it as a movie maker instead of a studio sim. There used to be a website that you could upload to and man, there were some good rear end movies people made.

Behold!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZn1juRrTYs

I would love to get back into this game.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Been playing RA3 Uprising challenge mode, where you need to beat various skirmish style battles with modifiers and handicaps. It's overall pretty goofy. There are a few amusing bits spread throughout the challenges. For example, the battle against a bomber focused enemy has a countdown for the "next annoying paradrop," the level based around war bears is titled "the number 1 threat to America," and on the level based around terminally ill people put in life sustaining powered armor, there is one in the middle of the map with a tiny Yuriko (anime girl) following it.

Also Jonathan "serious actor" Pryce, foreshadowing his future turn as the President of the USA in those awful GI Joe movies.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

The fact that he almost loses it entirely and that is the take they used, is extremely good.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

codenameFANGIO posted:

The fact that he almost loses it entirely and that is the take they used, is extremely good.

Tim Curry is a treasure.

Command and Conquer is a treasure.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Ahahaha this is so good

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az9BjoY4hsM&t=25s

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ssshhhpaayyysss!

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

In Pokemon Moon, I happened to be passing by my house all the way back at the start of the game and decided to poke around in my room. After going up to the bed and hitting A, my character took a nap only to be woken up by Mom's Meowth trying to use an Awakening on them :3:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

If you are not trying out every single bed (and throne) you come across in Pokemon Sun/Moon, you are doing it wrong.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

This masterful trap
In this thread of all threads
Where people speak of the good and the bad (but preferably good) things in games.

Such divine trickery

Aw yeah. He's a real genius that guy. A real Dr. Robotnick, or a Josh Washington type character.

I like how everyone's portraits change depending on how much damage you'll do before you confirm an attack in Fire Emblem: Fates.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I've been playing Forza Horizon 3 and I love how they actually modeled working windshield wipers and how the radio goes out when you drive through tunnels.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Mierenneuker posted:

If you are not trying out every single bed (and throne) you come across in Pokemon Sun/Moon, you are doing it wrong.

This, very much this. Guzma's in particular.

I didn't try it at the PC's home, but I got the same treatment from a different Meowth in a different house. On the fourth island, I think.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I keep trying to loot cabinets and dressers DQ7 style but all I get is lovely flavor text and no loot.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I tried overwatch during the free weekend. I love how detailed all the levels are, to the point where most objects in the spawns have damage modelling.

hanamura's spawn for attackers is an arcade with a bunch of cabinets that reference starcraft. lost viking is a running joke from sc2, but I love the siege tank metal slug homage.

also got alpha protocol during the autumn sale. I like the dressers that convert into a weapon stash in every hideout.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

The Lost Vikings was one of Blizzard's first ever games, it's a joke a lot older than SC2

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I know, but reusing it as a shmup title goes back to sc2

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Old news, (but it's new to me) the antagonist of the first witcher 3 expansion, Hearts of Stone, shows up in the first chapter of the game, several months before the expansion was released. He also appears as background characters at several points during the expansion proper. Some people say he looks out directly at the player instead of Geralt at points during conversation but I dunno about that, the ones I've seen seem like a stretch

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
One thing I've grown to appreciate about Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit is that there is very little randomness involved - even the Whack-a-mole and Shooting Gallery games the moles and targets always pop up in the same order so you just need to figure out the route. This makes it much less frustrating to play, as everything that goes wrong is your own fault - you hosed up a jump and wasted time on a timed mission? Get better at navigating that jump. You missed some animals in the Arenas? Where are they? Incorporate them into your route. If you need the harvester to rapidfire something, maybe you can use it to break a trap open too. There's always something that you can so to save time - when I learned the motions most of the game became much more doable. When I knew where the last 12 rabbits were in the allotments I did it first try the next time I tried it. There are only 3 sidequests with random chance, two are easy minigames and the last one is hell but the randomness can be... mitigated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

RentACop posted:

Old news, (but it's new to me) the antagonist of the first witcher 3 expansion, Hearts of Stone, shows up in the first chapter of the game, several months before the expansion was released. He also appears as background characters at several points during the expansion proper. Some people say he looks out directly at the player instead of Geralt at points during conversation but I dunno about that, the ones I've seen seem like a stretch

He's also mentioned in a lore book in Blood and Wine too as a beggar who sold a cursed mirror.