Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

blue squares posted:

Stephen Prince really is fantastic

Yeah he's good. Although not a criterion, his commentary for Peckinpah's Cross of Iron is really good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Raxivace posted:

I dunno how it comes off in Japanese, but in English I think Heaven and Hell sounds like a little much.

I know some other Kurosawa films have slightly different titles in Japanese compared to English. The Hidden Fortress is called something like "Three Villains of The Hidden Fortress" in Japanese, and I'm still not quite sure what that is meant to imply.

My favorite Japanese/American title change is Hari Kiri, or as it's known in Japan, Seppuku. Basically, it would be like retitling Shinobi to Ninja. I know there is a difference between the two terms, but I can't explain it.

Still, I like how one Japanese term is too obscure, so let's replace it with another Japanese term for ritual suicide.

Ironically, Seppuku is probably more known in the west now.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Cemetry Gator posted:

My favorite Japanese/American title change is Hari Kiri, or as it's known in Japan, Seppuku. Basically, it would be like retitling Shinobi to Ninja. I know there is a difference between the two terms, but I can't explain it.

Still, I like how one Japanese term is too obscure, so let's replace it with another Japanese term for ritual suicide.

Ironically, Seppuku is probably more known in the west now.

Yea, IMO it should've been called Stomach Cutting or Disembowelment.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Zogo posted:

Stomach Cutting

lol

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Anyone know if the upcoming Black Friday BN online coupon will work with the sale?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

I, Butthole posted:

Anyone know if the upcoming Black Friday BN online coupon will work with the sale?

Nope it says no criterion's

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Any opinion on One Eyed Jacks? A western noir with Marlon Brando intrigues me, but a Criterion with 54% on Rotten Tomatoes makes me think that it's definitely a "not for everyone" movie.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Depends on how much you can tolerate westerns and Marlon Brando.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Barnes and nobles got a 30% one item off code for black Friday.

It doesn't work on criterions....

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
yeah that's mentioned 3/4 posts above you

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

ITS RUMBLEFISH

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Yaaaas I saw that movie 2-3 years ago and absolutely loved it.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I've never heard of RUMBLEFISH

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I've never heard of RUMBLEFISH

Francis Ford Coppola considers it his favorite film he worked on.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is filmstruck worth it guys now that its been out for a while

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Empress Brosephine posted:

I like it because I'm waaaay behind on watching a bunch of classics that are on there. There are also titles that don't have physical releases yet like Stalker. It isn't comprehensive by any means though. I can see myself dropping it after I catch up on everything I've wanted to watch.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Ditto what he said, but since my watchlist currently has 87 titles, I doubt I'll be dropping it anytime soon. I think it's great, so far.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Zogo posted:

Francis Ford Coppola considers it his favorite film he worked on.

Weird, I always figured that would be Jack

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Huh, I actually just watched Rumble Fish the other week. It's a beautiful film with a great Stewart Copeland soundtrack, but it's based on a (I assume) not very good young adult novel, and it's an odd case of the quality of the direction highlighting the weakness of the source material rather than elevating it. The dialogue is awful and the ending is ridiculous.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm not sure I'm really feeling the Dekalog. Probably mostly through no fault on its own, it's just that something so heavy and melancholic is not exactly what I need in my life right in the wonderful year that has been 2016.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I caught Tampopo in theaters earlier this week. Hoping that criterion gives that movie a good release next year.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

checkplease posted:

I caught Tampopo in theaters earlier this week. Hoping that criterion gives that movie a good release next year.

That's one of my all time favorite movies and I'm gonna be pissed if it doesn't come with buckets of extras and a scholarly commentary

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Empress Brosephine posted:

It looks like everyone really enjoys it, but the fact that their Roku app won't be ready until "early 2017" is annoying as hell.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I feel frustrated about Filmstruck because it's really awesome, but I already have Netflix steaming, Netflix DVD, Prime and Shudder. This covers at least 95% of what Filmstruck has, so it's pretty hard to justify.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

They should get some cinematic shows not on streaming like the original Outer Limits and The Prisoner.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I'd love to see more stuff like Playhouse 90.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Egbert Souse posted:

They should get some cinematic shows not on streaming like the original Outer Limits and The Prisoner.
The Outer Limits is on Hulu.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Awesome Welles posted:

It looks like everyone really enjoys it, but the fact that their Roku app won't be ready until "early 2017" is annoying as hell.

Yeah, I'm not subbing until either the Roku or PS4 apps are out. Don't really want to be tied to my browser to watch movies.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Should have grabbed a fire stick for $30 during black friday.

(In other news, the FilmStruck app just launched for Apple TV)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 2, 2016

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Call Me Charlie posted:

Should have grabbed a fire stick for $30 during black friday.

(In other news, the FilmStruck app just launched for Apple TV)

Does it actually work on the fire stick? I heard it was only on the $90 Fire TV at the moment.

katatonic
Mar 14, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Does it actually work on the fire stick? I heard it was only on the $90 Fire TV at the moment.

I have the Fire Stick, haven't had any issues running Filmstruck at all.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

For fans of Kurosawa's High and Low, the book it's based off of, King's Ransom is $1.99 on Kindle right now.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

For fans of Kurosawa's High and Low, the book it's based off of, King's Ransom is $1.99 on Kindle right now.

Not sure if you have read it, but everything I have heard about the book indicates Kurosawa elevated the original work so much that there's no reason to read it

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Probably. But I just finished the other book I was reading and Amazon gave me a notification that it went down in price. It's only a couple bucks.

Speaking of which, is the Night of the Hunter novel worth reading?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Detective No. 27 posted:

The scene with the burning suitcase better have the letters printed in pink

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FYI, In a Lonely Place is an awesome movie. I knew it was going to be great between it being a Nicholas Ray film with Bogart and Gloria Grahame, but drat.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just watched Kiss Me Deadly, and I did not expect it to have the Raiders of the Lost Ark ending. :stare:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I just watched Kiss Me Deadly, and I did not expect it to have the Raiders of the Lost Ark ending. :stare:

aww yea, right? totally rad

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Super rad. I knew it was gonna be something special when the opening crawl rolled in reverse.
It was sitting on my shelf for a couple years, I should have watched it sooner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

I've had Solaris sitting on my shelf for ~4 years and haven't found the time to watch it. I really should get around to it at some point. How does it compare to other Tarkovsky movies?