Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

A friend just started a podcast on gamification in education. I'm biased but there's good stuff here for educators or folks who like to think about games in general.
Podcast - Game Level Learn: Episode 1
https://overcast.fm/+Hcw1P9lmw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Without discounting the idea that some theoretical third party might in some future day be acceptable,. the problem is that the third parties we actually have are both complete non-starters. :shrug:

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Dan Carlin just put up a new shirt in his store:

Now all we need is a boxing analogy shirt and we're set.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

head58 posted:

A friend just started a podcast on gamification in education. I'm biased but there's good stuff here for educators or folks who like to think about games in general.
Podcast - Game Level Learn: Episode 1
https://overcast.fm/+Hcw1P9lmw

This is quite good and I'm looking forward to hearing more.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Is there a podcast similar to The History of Rome but for medieval Europe?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Scent of Worf posted:

http://historyofthecrusades.webs.com/

History of the Crusades is really good.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Scent of Worf posted:

History of English podcast has gotten up to the twelfth century or so in recent episodes.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Those both seem great. Thanks

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Scent of Worf posted:

the History of Byzantium focusses on south-eastern Europe. Also lots of Middle east. But Byzantium is cool and good and it deserves a better spot in European history than it has.

I dont think there is one that focusses on say the Carolingians or the Holy Roman Empire.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

100YrsofAttitude posted:

There's 46 episodes at this point, at 8 minutes each, and they seem to be embedded in the larger La Fabrique d'histoire podcast by France Culture.

This is the link for the Cold War episodes themselves. The larger podcast is history related and has a different program depending on the day, the Cold War stuff is a Monday exclusive.

I've actually begun to listen to this in earnest and it's really good. I think you'll need more than high school French to get it, but no more than decent level to get by. The language isn't too difficult and the people who speak do so pretty clearly.

The passages themselves are quick tidbits and because of the 8 minutes there isn't too much detail, but episode 28 was pretty interesting since they talked about how Little Golden Books were used in some way as pro-American propaganda, considering their creator, a americanized Frenchman Georges Duplaix, also worked for the CIA in some capacity it seems. So yeah, Cold War from a French perspective. If you can deal with the language I really recommend it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

fritz posted:

History of English podcast has gotten up to the twelfth century or so in recent episodes.

On this note, the History Of England podcast does at least two episodes on events in the rest of Europe every century or so, as well covering mainland Europe events directly relevant to the narrative as it goes. The main narrative has reached 1485.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?

mike12345 posted:

Finished Inward Empire's Sword of the Wilderness pt. 2 yesterday. The quality of the writing is really impressive at times, who is this guy? Recommend. Also liking History on Fire's series on Caravaggio, worth checking out if you like the idea of a renaissance art gangster.

Agreed on Inward Empire. I'm a New Englander, so Sword of the Wilderness was fascinating, and the writing is top-notch. Haven't heard a bad episode yet.

I'll have to check out History on Fire again, I listened to some of the early podcasts and was kinda meh.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The Ambrose Bierce episode of Inward Empire owns.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?
The wait for the second episode of the Inward Empire series on the Great Strike of 1877 is starting to feel Carlinian...

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

The_Raven posted:

I'll have to check out History on Fire again, I listened to some of the early podcasts and was kinda meh.

Forgot to say, if you don't like the early episodes, he hasn't changed much. Sometimes it gets chatty and a bit thin on information, but I look past that.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

mike12345 posted:

Forgot to say, if you don't like the early episodes, he hasn't changed much. Sometimes it gets chatty and a bit thin on information, but I look past that.

I'd say these still count as early episodes.

psutify
Oct 19, 2012
I haven't listened to Star Talk for a while and was wondering if I should get back into it, any opinions? Any recommendations for other astronomy podcasts?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

psutify posted:

I haven't listened to Star Talk for a while and was wondering if I should get back into it, any opinions? Any recommendations for other astronomy podcasts?

I used to listen to Astronomy Cast and found it much more informative than Star Talk, though not nearly as funny or engaging.

psutify
Oct 19, 2012

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I used to listen to Astronomy Cast and found it much more informative than Star Talk, though not nearly as funny or engaging.

Listened to some episodes at work. The physics lessons are definitely more my taste than pop-culture science. Thanks.

Also I found the podcast Star Hopping recently which helps a lot with locating nebulae and star-clusters in my telescope. I recommend it to any astronomy lovers.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
For astronomy podcasts, 365 Days of Astronomy is still running 7 years later with daily episodes, usually 5-10 minutes long: https://cosmoquest.org/x/365daysofastronomy/

Individual days can be highly variable in quality, especially in the first few years, but there's a lot of people who are good and have regular appearances.

There also used to be a separate feed that concatenated the 7 episodes a week into a single episode, so that you would only have to hear the standard intro and outro music once per week, but the maintainers stopped doing it around 2012.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

By the way, any idea how long the latest series in Revolutions is going to be? I don't listen to them until they're all up, and I'm just curious. It's definitely a subject I'm interested in.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

100YrsofAttitude posted:

By the way, any idea how long the latest series in Revolutions is going to be? I don't listen to them until they're all up, and I'm just curious. It's definitely a subject I'm interested in.

He's probably getting close to the end. Bolivar has almost had his whole story told, the other liberators are who he's talking about now, and then he'll move on to Mexico, I believe. The only problem is the delays that are gonna be caused by the holidays/his family/writing his book.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

rotinaj posted:

He's probably getting close to the end. Bolivar has almost had his whole story told, the other liberators are who he's talking about now, and then he'll move on to Mexico, I believe. The only problem is the delays that are gonna be caused by the holidays/his family/writing his book.
Bolivar hasn't linked up up with Jose de San Martin yet. And there's still the whole Gran Colombia thing.

He's taking a break for Thanksgiving. And he's also wrapping up the book and doing the tour.

The next revolution he's doing is 1848, not Mexican.

Also, I only listened to one of the fundraiser THOR episodes, but it's good.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

THOR?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

The History Of Rome

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

:doh:

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
I recently started listening to the history of the crusades, and while it's good, does she ever stop doing this thing...

.... where she takes a way to long break in the middle of a sentence?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
uhh this is late but lol Dan Carlin warlord of the "weird white guys too into WW2" or WWWWWWWWW, Adolf Hitler is not a valid equal example of men "driven mad by power" alongside Alexander the Great and Cyrus founder of the Persian Empire. Pretty sure the dude was mad before he got power, the fact that he got crazier doesn't exactly put him there.

"you know, he had some good ideas before everything went crazy though...hey whats your favorite tank used on the eastern front??"

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
"I've always thought of history as a crime scene...I am not a historian..."

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Just subscribed to the LSE podcast and fwiw it's excellent so far if public policy / economics is your thing.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Does anyone have any good comparative-religion podcasts that explore and contrast not only the beliefs, practices, and texts of various religions, but also their secular histories and evolutions?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
If anyone wants to hear Nate silver flipping the gently caress out over people dismissing polling and not taking him as seriously anymore, listen to the latest 538 podcast. God drat, he gets salty and starts banging on about polls being a first amendment right.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
So even Nate Silver pulled the "criticizing my free speech is trying to impede it!!!" b.s.? That's usually more an eye roll worthy right wing tactic
Like...who's trying to stop him from doing polls??

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

Punkin Spunkin posted:

So even Nate Silver pulled the "criticizing my free speech is trying to impede it!!!" b.s.? That's usually more an eye roll worthy right wing tactic
Like...who's trying to stop him from doing polls??

It was in the context of polling being illegal within a certain window before elections in other countries.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Italy, apparently. In that context it's a lot less insane than rotinaj put it but it's also silly to yell about first amendment rights in a country that doesn't have the first amendment.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Maduo posted:

Italy, apparently. In that context it's a lot less insane than rotinaj put it but it's also silly to yell about first amendment rights in a country that doesn't have the first amendment.

Again, Silver's answer was more about answering "what do you think about doing something like Italy has (restricting polling 3 weeks prior to an election) here in the US". So while Silver's right (that it would be a restriction of 1st amendment rights), I think a lot of journalists (rightly or wrongly) tend to be super touchy about their 1st amendment rights almost reflexively.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Annual Prophet posted:

Just subscribed to the LSE podcast and fwiw it's excellent so far if public policy / economics is your thing.

if you speak german, the "max planck institute for the study of societies" has a vimeo feed of their lectures, focus is on economics and social issues.

https://vimeo.com/mpifg/videos

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

mike12345 posted:

if you speak german, the "max planck institute for the study of societies" has a vimeo feed of their lectures, focus is on economics and social issues.

https://vimeo.com/mpifg/videos

My German is a bit rusty but I very much look forward to giving this a go - thank you!

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Punkin Spunkin posted:

uhh this is late but lol Dan Carlin warlord of the "weird white guys too into WW2" or WWWWWWWWW, Adolf Hitler is not a valid equal example of men "driven mad by power" alongside Alexander the Great and Cyrus founder of the Persian Empire. Pretty sure the dude was mad before he got power, the fact that he got crazier doesn't exactly put him there.

"you know, he had some good ideas before everything went crazy though...hey whats your favorite tank used on the eastern front??"

he's a grade A clown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

fyi, Inward Empire's part two on the great strike and the red specter of the commune came out on friday
merry christmas nerds